Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ha. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQDw1hlU99E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Dota 2 has the best micro transactions and idk nobody is copying them. Ive spent way too much on that free game because everything is either assured on the steam market or a neat season pack.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Servers still down?

E: they up

Keegers fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 3, 2017

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I don't think I've ever been angrier at a videogame - hell at anything - than I was at for honor last night.

A friend and I had been playing brawl - we'd been getting matched against high levels (4+ prestige) consistently and not getting stomped but certainly not winning either so we were already a bit salty and wanted a win.

We join this game and lock in our characters - shortly after doing so our opponents say "btw this isn't duels". Now, this was pretty annoying, because we'd both locked in assassin characters i.e the worst possible heroes to use in fights with multiple people attacking at once.

Loading screen hits, we get warden and Shugoki, both prestige 5. Ok, sweet, wicked, whatever. We immediately get stomped in the first round and they taunting a lot, "told u it wasn't duels noobs lmao" etc.

Anyway we both toggle on in the second round, my mate (as orochi) gets kinda hosed up but does a lot of damage, so it's 2v1 but they both on half health and I'm doing pretty ok. I don't know what happened but it was like a better player briefly inhabited my body and I just poo poo on these two guys, just ruin them without revenge or anything, I'm parrying, I'm deflecting, I'm doing perfect combos, it was beautiful. We're going off in comms, it was so good. Anyway ol' shugoki is on about half a single bar of HP now and his mate is dead. He charges me and I accidentally dodgeroll using up my remaining stamina. Whatever, you're dead big boy.

Now, it's important to note, that he sorta charged past me, and I dodgerolled away, so for a second my camera wasn't focused on him. I get up from the dodgeroll and kinda turn around and what do I see?

Motherfucker juuust as he finishes reviving the warden.

I see red, honestly, I'm pretty sure I blacked out for a second. The normal part of my brain was whispering "well that's part of the game" while the enraged other half was screaming "WHY IS REVIVE SO FAST, WHY IS IT IN loving BRAWL, WHY IS FIGHTING MULTIPLE PEOPLE SO poo poo, WHY PLAY THE SAME TWO CHARACTERS IN THE SAME SETUP FOR SO LONG YOU HIT PRESTIGE LEVEL 5, WHY, AS A LEVEL 13, HAVE I BEEN MATCHED WITH THESE PEOPLE FUCKKKK"

Needless to say they killed me, and that's my story about how I almost uninstalled for honor.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

So you're angry that it wasn't duels.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

FunkMonkey posted:

So you're angry that it wasn't duels.

I was salty as hell it wasn't duels

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Revive speed is ridiculous. I need to find that reddit gif of a nobushi resurrecting her teammates in between attacks.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Stop right there, criminal scum.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
Ubi is going to punish AFK idlers. All you have to do is take video or screenshot evidence, and submit it here:

https://support.ubi.com/en-US/Cases/new?template=FHReportACheater

Put in AFK farming in the type of cheating.

Naturally, the person who made this thread has some hot ideas like "Who cares?" and "Remove AI modes", or "Remove rewards from AI games". :downsbravo:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
In other news I've found the smuggest axe on the planet.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

7c Nickel posted:

In other news I've found the smuggest axe on the planet.

suck my enkak

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

OxMan posted:

Hey guys, I just got this game a few days ago and tried reading the last 15 pages to get an idea of where the game is at but the lingo and various metas have changed so much since the OP that it's kinda impregnable from a newbie standpoint. A FG style OP with short character b&bs and an overview of the general flow of a match and how to gain initiative along with a glossary of For Honor specific character combo terms/properties (bashes, vortex) would help myself and any other new players get a grip on the mechanics faster.

I'm in this weird place where I started out playing on realistic in single player so I find it easy to block, parry and dodge most heroes but am unsure of how to best take advantage of it and mount an offensive where I gain the initiative. I'm sticking with warden while I'm learning the game since their toolset doesnt seem to be very input heavy, but I've also begun dabbling in Orochi since I like dangerous mobile mixup chars in other FGs.

The generic offensive seems to be parry something, then do a side heavy or a gb-to-side/top heavy (depends on character you're playing as). Some characters have more elaborate punishes, but that's the general idea.

Feint a lot if you're getting parried.

Most of this game is about opening someone up.

Also: What works against new players does not work against better players. There is a serious difference between fighting someone who can parry every 2nd hit, and someone who can barely parry at all.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

satanic splash-back posted:

Most of this game is about opening someone up.
Or punting them off cliffs

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Mainly the latter.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Whalley posted:

Or punting them off cliffs

I'm rep3 on Warlord and I think 90% of my kills were shoves off cliffs. It's the great equalizer.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

satanic splash-back posted:

What works against new players does not work against better players.

Raider strat in a nutshell

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I suspect there will be a freak out about the new characters regardless of specific cost. Almost certainly, it seems to me. The narrative will then be "anybody who is playing one of the new heroes has no honor" of course. People will express a sense of betrayal; betrayed by Ubi, etc. There will be some agreed upon name for them, though I don't know what it will be... something along the lines of "wallet warrior" with the implication that if you won with one of the new heroes it's pay to win, etc. Some people will leave the game based on this regardless of actual costs or structure. I hope that the pejorative and narrative are creative at least. Given that for the most part this game is a mind game anything you do to put your opponent on tilt is a big advantage, the new heroes will in fact have a built in advantage and high troll value.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

anyone who doesn't play the centurion is a loving pleb, regardless of honor

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Playing on the PS4 there were 45k active players at 5AM US time, I've had next to no server issues, and I've only had a few games where someone disconnected and it never seemed like a rage quit.

Maybe it's just worse on PC?

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Do different characters have different hurtboxes or am I just going slowly insane?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Are there asterisked armor pieces, or is that just for weapons? A little curious.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

PC version is pretty frustrating. Got the game two days ago. Had a blast on the first, servers went down on me last night, and I can't log into them tonight.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Can teammates just gently caress off and die instead of "helping" me in a fight by constantly hitting me out of combos? I grabbed the opponent FOUR TIMES and every loving time, my teammate Peacekeeper would side attack and knock me from the grab. Like just gently caress off, you're not helping and I can take the guy on my own. She basically gave the guy two drat revenges, and in the end I just had to back off, let her get killed, then kill the guy by myself. She cried in chat saying I was a poo poo teammate: "gently caress off".

Prestige 7 Warlord teammate. Literally just side sweeps in team fights, knocking us all out of combos. We teamed up against a PK and I swear, no exaggeration, he single-handedly did more damage to me than the PK did.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 3, 2017

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Decided to come back to this game, only one goddamn game out of 5 I didn't disconnect. BOT game went through and that was a match I joined halfway through.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Apparently iSkys (streamer) just got sponsored by NRG in For Honor.

https://pvplive.net/c/for-honor-has-its-first-sponsored-player

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KGid_H5HXbg

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

This game still hasn't gotten a patch? Lol

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Loopoo posted:

Can teammates just gently caress off and die instead of "helping" me in a fight by constantly hitting me out of combos? I grabbed the opponent FOUR TIMES and every loving time, my teammate Peacekeeper would side attack and knock me from the grab. Like just gently caress off, you're not helping and I can take the guy on my own. She basically gave the guy two drat revenges, and in the end I just had to back off, let her get killed, then kill the guy by myself. She cried in chat saying I was a poo poo teammate: "gently caress off".

Prestige 7 Warlord teammate. Literally just side sweeps in team fights, knocking us all out of combos. We teamed up against a PK and I swear, no exaggeration, he single-handedly did more damage to me than the PK did.

This happens to me all the time, especially against the turtle-shield classes. I'll be like "hey team, don't spam the guy and give him revenge, just grab him and do a heavy attack." Of course, this is the signal to spam light attacks all day and give the guy revenge three times in a minute.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po5qHC2abqU

loving hell

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Last time I watched Skys stream he was talking about how Warden isn't that good and how all his tech is "easily punished".

I was kind of baffled.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

This game still hasn't gotten a patch? Lol

It did get patched on Wednesday. The patch didn't really do anything significant other than buffing Valkyrie though.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Last time I watched Skys stream he was talking about how Warden isn't that good and how all his tech is "easily punished".

I was kind of baffled.

I guess it's easy if you can read minds. Or you are just lucky all the time.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

https://clips-media-assets.twitch.tv/24641111488-offset-16466.mp4

This guy is just awe inspiring. Watching his clips makes me wish I was half as good. The loving mixups he did with Kensei are even better than what AlphaStrike can do.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Loopoo posted:

https://clips-media-assets.twitch.tv/24641111488-offset-16466.mp4

This guy is just awe inspiring. Watching his clips makes me wish I was half as good. The loving mixups he did with Kensei are even better than what AlphaStrike can do.

That's a clip of AlphaStrike though.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Internet Kraken posted:

I was kind of baffled.

It did get patched on Wednesday. The patch didn't really do anything significant other than buffing Valkyrie though.

Yeh, his sponsorship seems totally random to me. He sometimes seems to totally toxic-tilt-melt and is not all that entertaining to me at least. Sponsored because of that video on Reddit or whatever, and that fight is by no means one of the best highlight clips for the game. I dunno, most successful streamers seem on the narcissistic end of things to me though. Good for the game though I think.

For myself in 35 years of (terribad) gaming I consider all games broken in some way. I have never played one that wasn't. The thing for me then is the ratio between dealing with broken (tech, balance, patches, pay schemes, etc.) and having amazing game experiences. I think despite Ubi best efforts the ratio in this game of broken to fun is already pretty good, even with what is essentially gear abuse in some game modes. When the gear/buffs are appropriate (different kinds of 1vX) there are some very cool moments in 4x4 mode and I really like that most modes are mostly barebones. I like that it is slower than most fighting games (because I am old and slow and don't love games that are only twitch reaction based).

cams
Mar 28, 2003

the guy that got sponsored got it with a clip of being geared out and getting a bunch of revenge mode, that alphastrike guy has legit skill

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

1.) there's a "hold O to not revive button" the whole video
2.) the guy literally says" I hate you alphastrike" at the end

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Mar 3, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I mean Skys is obviously better than most players but he's definitely not the best. I don't think he's even won one of the player tournaments and he placed poorly in the last one, losing to a Raider of all things. The sponsorship is probably because he's the most talented out of all the popular streamers of this game. He gets a lot of viewers regularly now so the company saw that and figured "this guy can pass as a pro so lets bring him on and get a presence in this game while promoting visibility for our brand".

I don't wish him ill, but his play doesn't impress me as much compared to some other stuff I've seen. I think more of it comes from him just having played the game way longer than most people due to alpha access. Once people got a feeling for the game, his winrate started dropping noticeably. No idea if he's recovered from that since I haven't watched him int he last few days. You can only see so many Warden vortexes before it gets old.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

gg i guess

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Oh poo poo my bad, I didn't even realise. It was just a clip on his Twitch so I figured it was him playing, and there's other clips of him joking about how he hates alphastrike and how he'll take over as Kensei main.

I shouldn't watch clips when I haven't slept for 19 hours cause I can't believe I missed that big "don't revive" notification.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Streaming isn't about being the best it's about being entertaining. And since the target audience is typically like 8-14 year olds this guys probably fairly popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Streaming isn't about being the best it's about being entertaining. And since the target audience is typically like 8-14 year olds this guys probably fairly popular.

nice generalization man. I don't typically watch streams, I find it really boring. but some streamers out there are really charismatic and make watching them enjoyable. you don't need to be a kid to like watching someone funny and entertaining play a game you like. it's also handy to use as a review tool, you can watch someone play it and see whether or not the game is for you.