Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I love how the devs of this game remove things like high elves citing "we can't have tolkien corrupting our PERFECT work" but then leave poo poo in like wargs? which are basically wolves except they resist poison. really cool guys thanks for removing the best sword/dodge race right when you put in riposte you loving hypocritical idiots.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

congratulations to JLipinski on his new rank

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Darth Windu posted:

I love how the devs of this game remove things like high elves citing "we can't have tolkien corrupting our PERFECT work" but then leave poo poo in like wargs? which are basically wolves except they resist poison. really cool guys thanks for removing the best sword/dodge race right when you put in riposte you loving hypocritical idiots.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
We've had a few pages of praising the devs, darth windu is just trying to balance things out.

Beogh is a really niche god. Only relevant to orcs, and then only some fraction of those. Beogh (like high elves were) are harmless and should be left in because he's fun when you do want to play him.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Darth Windu posted:

"""best"""

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Am I missing something or is Animate skeleton insanely overpowered compared to Summon small mammal? Both are level 1 spells, but the other can get you hydra skeletons or an army of undead yaks while the other gives you, well, rats. Or bats :rolleyes:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Animate skeleton is a really good level 1 spell, yes. I would argue it is worse than summon small mammal on d1, which is a dangerous place, but at the same time Ne also gets pain which is great on d1.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
You do have to kill something for animate skeleton to work, so there is a sort of "tax" on it compared to summon mammals.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Changelog:
Removed haste and teleport wands.
Removed rods.
Removed high elves.
Added more Niggerkiller ghosts

SteelNeuron
Feb 23, 2017

rj54x posted:

I know it's been said a few times before - but guy who wrote the Council god, you rock. This god totally changes how you play a melee character (in precisely the way that Oka or Trog don't) in a fantastic way. I'm playing a MiFi right now, which is normally as vanilla as you can get, and having a loving blast backflipping over enemies, whirlwinding through crowds, etc.

Couple quick questions -
Does invocations affect any of the abilities?
For the debuff on whirlwind - is that only for the slow effect, and not the "attack on move" part?
Does whirlwind always attack all adjacent enemies, ala cleave?

Thanks!

Thank you! It's very encouraging :). I hope you guys who like WJC give me feedback on the upcoming Skeleton experimental branch.

Invocations does not affect any of the abilities.

Not sure I understand your question on whirlwind: whirlwind deals damage and has a chance to apply a slow debuff on any enemy.

Whirlwind attacks any enemies that were adjacent before the move, and that are still adjacent after the move.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

I'm currently playing a demigod warper and I'm surprised how good the translocation stuff works against dangerous enemies. It's really easy to keep hydras or berserking enemies from getting near you by blasting them with force lance or setting blink traps with passage of golubria. Even gell's gravitas seems more useful than I remembered. Great against packs of ogres or death yaks. And for those that get through, I have a vampiric battleaxe I got off rupert :)

^ also, skeleton branch sounds great, I love all the new stuff!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Warped is generally my favorite start, especially with the trunk changes. Basically all the spells in the starting book, except maybe Teleport Other, are really useful.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

SteelNeuron posted:

Thank you! It's very encouraging :). I hope you guys who like WJC give me feedback on the upcoming Skeleton experimental branch.

Invocations does not affect any of the abilities.

Not sure I understand your question on whirlwind: whirlwind deals damage and has a chance to apply a slow debuff on any enemy.

Whirlwind attacks any enemies that were adjacent before the move, and that are still adjacent after the move.

Oops, sorry, I meant cooldown, not debuff. So basically, the way I understand it is it will attack still-adjacent enemies every time, but only potentially apply the slow status every 6 turns or so, right?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

Am I missing something or is Animate skeleton insanely overpowered compared to Summon small mammal? Both are level 1 spells, but the other can get you hydra skeletons or an army of undead yaks while the other gives you, well, rats. Or bats :rolleyes:

It was significantly more powerful when skeletons didn't have an expiration timer. And when you could bring them between floors. But yeah it's still very good for the entire game.

I kinda wish skeletons were a little weaker in exchange for being permanent again. I don't like rushing to use them before they die.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

SteelNeuron posted:

upcoming Skeleton experimental branch.

This sounds awesome, what's its story?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Fresh epic bugs, hot off the press! Grab one before it's gone!

Tavern posted:

Ever wanted to play meatsprint in normal crawl?
Well, now you can, and I'm here to tell you how! All you have to do is follow these 10 easy steps:

Step 1: Play trunk
Step 2: Pick felid
Step 3: Worship Wu
Step 4: Have an extra life available
Step 5: Activate Heaven on Earth when you're about to die
Step 6: Die
Step 7: Rejoin the land of the living
Step 8: Enjoy endless Heaven on Earth
Step 9: With this newfound power, go clear Elf at lvl13
Step 10: Die, cause you're still felid with 50 HP

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

FulsomFrank posted:

This sounds awesome, what's its story?

Thanked Mr skeltal too hard

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
So for most of you guys, what's the ratio like of deaths to escapes with the orb?

I'm trying to get an idea how bad I am at running into walls full speed over here.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm at 2.46% winrate atm

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

19/348 or 5.46%

But that doesn't include years of offline play. I have no idea what my ratio would be if those were included. Probably worse. I like to play stupid gimmicks.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
0.09% :whatup:

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Hm, both beRotato and akrasiac have been giving me a "The Websocket connection has been closed" error for a while now. Anyone else running into this?

Edit: xtahua is doing it too now.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
I'm at 6.18% winrate myself, though in my experience you just lose a /lot/ until you learn how to play one particular style enough to escape with the orb. Once you get the hang of it your winrate theoretically should shoot up dramatically, but most people just keep playing different races and backgrounds to mix things up which also brings your winrate down inevitably.

Personally, playing for winrate and specially winstreaks is a miserable experience so I wouldn't put too much weight on it; the game's really fun when you're constantly dying and learning from your mistakes so you can overcome them next time (something Crawl's really good about). Basically, focus on trying to learn at least a little bit from each death and you'll inevitably make progress.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Mystery Prize posted:

Hm, both beRotato and akrasiac have been giving me a "The Websocket connection has been closed" error for a while now. Anyone else running into this?

Edit: xtahua is doing it too now.

Are you sure your internet connection isn't crapping out somehow?

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Pretty sure? Everything else seems to work. I can't even get to the lobby in any of the three servers.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

3.60℅. If I actually cared about winrate instead of having fun, I would just keep playing Berserkers.

I do try to take streaks seriously though, which makes it funnier when they die to D:3 killer bee packs.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
once again i am banning this game until the Something Awful Goons List is implemented by the devs. importants in bold

1. Put bsphere back in conj start book
2. Rename barachians to hiphopheads
3. Singularity
4. Tell me why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch
5. Put back high elves / change hill orcs to high orcs and give them a combo of the apts (not as good spellcasting obv.)
6. Give humans a limited ability to customize their apts
7. More demonspawn style mutations on other races
8. Swiftness haste and are missiles
9. Stop making the game harder [b/]

10. Malmutate reform ! Rmut returned until!
11. friendly skeletons dont fall apart after a period of time
12. remove wargs, now thats what i'm TOLKIEN about
13. admit that they are stupid sh*theads

again feel free to add to my list. copyright gowby.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You are so whiny.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Whoops my bad for enjoying a game and trying to improve it, i'm really sorry for that, not.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
darth windu is operating at an extremely high irony level. everyone trying to make fun of him is just falling into his trap

hiphopheads forever

apple
May 18, 2003

On one hand some of Darth Windu's suggestions are actually good and/or have been echoed by other people already but on the other hand he sounds like a real jerk, irony or not.

On a side note: for the love of god please make Necromutation slightly easier to cast, double school level 8 is pretty awful. Hell, I would settle for finding it on a more common book so you could make the investment earlier if you were so inclined. Alternatively let lichform allow drinking through magical undead digestion.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
How are you even supposed to get a warper off the ground, and when you do what are you supposed to do with it...just train your weapon skill and hope for teh best? I can't figure out how to work with a spellbook that doesn't have anything to kill things

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

apple posted:

On a side note: for the love of god please make Necromutation slightly easier to cast, double school level 8 is pretty awful. Hell, I would settle for finding it on a more common book so you could make the investment earlier if you were so inclined. Alternatively let lichform allow drinking through magical undead digestion.

Necromutation at level 6 Necro/Tmut and Simulacrum becomes [don't stand on the corpses, affect all corpses] at level 8 Necro/Ice?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Darth Windu posted:

How are you even supposed to get a warper off the ground

Try a ring or potion of flight. Tornado works as well, or you can pick Tengu or Gargoyle.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Haha yeah I walked into that one ouch

In all seriousnesss (I'm always serious) I like the human custom apts idea a lot. Of course high elves need to come back too, like it's insane to me that the devs are ignoring their entire player base on some of this stuff but HE especially.

How hard is this game to code? For someone with no experience, or is it like CK2 where anyone with notepad++ can do it? And if I put the effort in would my stuff even get into the real game? Honestly I'd be happy with a branch for myself with high elves or high orcs.

High Orcs
Like hill orcs but with:
Long blades +2
Spellcseting -2
Translocates, Charms, Air 0
Dodging -1

I think that would be a cool change and not too strong.

Also give more random good mutations like ds and draconians, maybe make up a demonspawn set for demigods? I have lots of good ideas.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
To clarify high orcs would replace hill orcs not be a separate species since I know the devs HATE adding things to this game

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Can't speak to the new spell book yet, I've only had one halfway decent run with it yet. I think I will prefer the new book, but speaking of 0.19...

I prefer to play the warper as a warrior-mage and not a starting book for mage-mages. My start involves a lot of hoping for the best but still has an acceptable survival rate for something as ill thought out as it is.

Unless I have a clear advantage in apt or floorgod, I tend to focus on fighting and translocations, with investment in spellcasting, throwing, and melee skill as I see fit. My priority before temple is using any venom or electric weapon I come across, usually a dagger, and throwing or slinging random crap with or without skill. Fighting is a small help with ranged and melee, and something like a +0 mace is still poo poo on ogres.

Kobold packs are blowgun and Portal projectile godsends. a halfway good melee weapon with good apts is also good. Fighting is only a temporary measure because mindelay is such a big deal and because the 0.19 start is such a weird melee/range split. And gently caress your tomahawks of dispersion that either miss our bounce off of AC uselessly while you don't have any reusable throwing weapons to merit training the skill.

Anyways... It's an annoying balancing game between saving your MP for blink + throw, portal + throw, or just shroud. I think with the new book I'll probably develop a more thought out strat then worshipping the floorgod. But... Random off skill weapons and projectiles do ya good for a few floors as long as you can blink away from poo poo and survive what you can't run from. The sooner you start specializing the better, but venom dagger and pelting poo poo for crap damage from a distance is so much better for the first four floors.

In trunk I think I'll be making better use out of translocations once I get used to it. I just have to find a warper start that I want to play since I am unconvinced by ogres now. Hopkins, perhaps.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Darth Windu posted:

To clarify high orcs would replace hill orcs not be a separate species since I know the devs HATE adding things to this game

Also they can use dungeon plant to gain clarity and slow while increasing hunger.

Singularity was un-ironically good because it was fun :colbert:

Removing one off gimmicks like Beogh or GSC ogres and stupid weak things like HE is just silly. If somebody wants to play HESk and die a million times it doesn't hurt anyone and removing it brings no increased anything to the game.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 3, 2017

apple
May 18, 2003

rchandra posted:

Necromutation at level 6 Necro/Tmut and Simulacrum becomes [don't stand on the corpses, affect all corpses] at level 8 Necro/Ice?

Yeah, lower level on Necromutation would work pretty well, plus that would open more characters to the possibility of a unarmed build using lichform.

I haven't messed with simulacrum much though so I can't speak for it being level 8; I always seem to end up using shadow creatures and/or death channel for level 6 minion spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

apple posted:

Yeah, lower level on Necromutation would work pretty well, plus that would open more characters to the possibility of a unarmed build using lichform.

I haven't messed with simulacrum much though so I can't speak for it being level 8; I always seem to end up using shadow creatures and/or death channel for level 6 minion spells.

A good simulacra like a gold dragon or titan will pop up 8 or so copies with their normal melee + extra cold damage and can kill hell branch bosses/pan lords without breaking a sweat. Also you can freezing cloud right into them and they don't care.

To provide the good corpses Kiku is pretty necessary tho.

• Locked thread