Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

So what is the best Leovold deck in Legacy? The contenders:

Shardless BUG
BUG Delver
BUG Cards Reid Duke Owns
Aluren
Food Chain (showed up in a big way at the last SCG team event)

I think it's between BUG Delver and Aluren. Aluren, by virtue of its combo, is the most powerful of the bunch, but its Shardless/Strix valuetown game is overstated (in my testing) since you're cascading into cavern harpies and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

So what is the best Leovold deck in Legacy? The contenders:

Shardless BUG
BUG Delver
BUG Cards Reid Duke Owns
Aluren
Food Chain (showed up in a big way at the last SCG team event)

I think it's between BUG Delver and Aluren. Aluren, by virtue of its combo, is the most powerful of the bunch, but its Shardless/Strix valuetown game is overstated (in my testing) since you're cascading into cavern harpies and poo poo

I think BUG Delver is personally. With Fatal Push you have quality removal without splashing, and you can play either discard or more counterspells to protect Leovold. He takes the slot of what used to be the true-name or clique in the more traditional builds. I personally like the version with stifle and daze, and minimum levels of discard (usually no hymns, small number of TS/Duress).

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Primus and Worldspine both sound spicy, might have to look out for a cheap copy of each.

Maybe I should run SSG but it just makes the deck feel a little swingier, when it's already capable of huge blowouts especially with Emrakul. Plus if you're casting it as a bear then something has gone horribly wrong.

I might put 2x Needle in the SB, what were the matchups where they did work? Planeswalker decks?

I brought in Pithing Needle against Sun and Moon (it gets Nahiri and Chandra), Affinity (naming lots of things, mainly Cranial Plating, but also Ravager, Overseer, or Inkmoth Nexus in a pinch), Eldrazi (naming Displacer), as well as Grixis (naming either Fulminator if I see them or Tasigur) and Jund (Liliana).

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Is anybody else playing frontier? Is it a,real format? Apparently it's gaining a poo poo ton of traction in my area.

I think it looks dumb but that's just me. Modern without any of the hate Cardsnthat keep the format in check.

HOWEVER, one of the only days off I have per week is going to be rotating format day at a FLGS. Since I have modern, legacy, and pauper decks I might as well spend a maximum of $40 and make a frontier deck as well.

I'm thinking Grixis Ensoul because it's not very popular and also seems fun and stupid.

3 Anticipate
3 Bonded Construct
3 Chief Engineer
4 Chief of the Foundry
2 Compelling Deterrence
1 Cranial Archive
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Ensoul Artifact
4 Hangarback Walker
2 Island
3 Lightning Strike
1 Mirrorpool
1 Mountain
3 Negate
2 Obelisk of Urd
1 Padeem, Consul of Innovation
2 Phyrexian Revoker
3 Roast
2 New Tezzeret
4 Scrapheap Scrounger
2 Scuttling Doom Engine
4 Shivan Reef
4 Shrapnel Blast
2 Smash to Smithereens
4 Spirebluff Canal
3 Tomb of the Spirit Dragon
2 Unknown Shores
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Workshop Assistant

Something like that. Maybe that 3 mana tezzeret enchsntment that does the same as ensoul. Maybe ghostfire blade instead of obelisk.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
No, it's not a real format and pretty much all reports I've seen have shown that it's not taking hold. The recent CFB GP only fired one event (with 7 players) and it seems to fizzle out at most LGSs after a few weeks.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Frontier is entirely adequate as a gimmick format where people can bust out their old standard decks with a few upgrades. It's not a real format though, and it has no longevity to it.

Bring back Extended.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
That sounds good to me. Like I said I'll invest $30 into the format for grixis ensoul so I have a deck to play casually and other than that I'll stick with the formats I like. Modern, legacy, and pauper.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
It's "gaining traction" like Tiny Leaders did. In that there'll be a frenzy for a couple weeks and then it'll disappear entirely because it's bad.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I'm still confused that Dig and Company aren't banned in the format. I have no idea what's good in it but those cards have to be too good right

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Elyv posted:

I'm still confused that Dig and Company aren't banned in the format. I have no idea what's good in it but those cards have to be too good right

It looks like everything is 3-4 color Cards I Liked From Standard and rally is the best deck.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

EvilBeard posted:

I brought in Pithing Needle against Sun and Moon (it gets Nahiri and Chandra), Affinity (naming lots of things, mainly Cranial Plating, but also Ravager, Overseer, or Inkmoth Nexus in a pinch), Eldrazi (naming Displacer), as well as Grixis (naming either Fulminator if I see them or Tasigur) and Jund (Liliana).

What would you say to Pulse of Murasa sideboard? I've seen it in a few SBs, and I had someone blow up one of my only two Forests while he had Blood Moon in play which really made wish I could get that Forest back. But my SB is getting pretty full of ideas as-is.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

What would you say to Pulse of Murasa sideboard? I've seen it in a few SBs, and I had someone blow up one of my only two Forests while he had Blood Moon in play which really made wish I could get that Forest back. But my SB is getting pretty full of ideas as-is.

This is where having Worldspine Wurm/Emrakul to just one shot them is very useful. I don't think getting things back from the graveyard is what we want to be doing.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

L0cke17 posted:

I think BUG Delver is personally. With Fatal Push you have quality removal without splashing, and you can play either discard or more counterspells to protect Leovold. He takes the slot of what used to be the true-name or clique in the more traditional builds. I personally like the version with stifle and daze, and minimum levels of discard (usually no hymns, small number of TS/Duress).

I disagree with playing a creature in a delver deck which costs 3 mana and isnt immune to everything

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

1 Clique was great main in RUG Delver (:rip:) at some points.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

I disagree with playing a creature in a delver deck which costs 3 mana and isnt immune to everything

I would disagree that BUG delver is at its core a delver deck. At its core its a Deathrite deck, that happens to be playing delver as a win-con. And as most delvrer/deathrite strategies are, its a mana-denial deck packed up by efficient threats. Leovold helps turn off their ability to get more mana through cantrips etc, and gives all your creatures pseudo-protection in that you get to draw cards when they die, except for terminus. I see it as a perfectly reasonable top end to to the deck in that context.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

EvilBeard posted:

This is where having Worldspine Wurm/Emrakul to just one shot them is very useful. I don't think getting things back from the graveyard is what we want to be doing.

True, but I've also gone through all four Primes in a game before. But then again it just takes one Emrakul graveyard trigger to put you back in the game.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Oi, I'm playing Skred Red for States this weekend because I don't have the cards, let alone practice, for Sun and Moon. Time to get rolled over by combo all day long.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

i think the fatal pushes are more of an argument that the BUG durdletown decks get better

i dunno i think im just going to play food chain. gently caress it

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Snagged depths 3 today, if all goes well I'll be 75/75 by next weekend!

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Today I went to a store I had never played legacy at before. The event barely fired, with 8 of us doing battle.

First match: the Landstill mirror.

What the gently caress is going on in Chicago

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Today I went to a store I had never played legacy at before. The event barely fired, with 8 of us doing battle.

Which you lost, despite all your experience in the mirror!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Still trying to fine-tune Esper Mill for next Modern FNM after being off of it for a few months, I feel pretty good about this version-
Deck: Esper Mill 170302

//Lands
3 Darkslick Shores
2 Flooded Strand
2 Ghost Quarter
1 Godless Shrine
2 Hallowed Fountain
2 Island
2 Marsh Flats
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
1 Plains
3 Polluted Delta
1 Shelldock Isle
1 Swamp
2 Watery Grave

//Spells
4 Archive Trap
3 Breaking // Entering
2 Crypt Incursion
3 Dream Twist
4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
1 Mind Funeral
4 Path to Exile
2 Supreme Verdict
4 Surgical Extraction
4 Visions of Beyond

//Creatures
4 Hedron Crab
2 Snapcaster Mage

//Sideboard
2 Disenchant
2 Hide // Seek
2 Mesmeric Orb
1 Night of Souls' Betrayal
2 Pithing Needle
4 Profane Memento
2 Stony Silence

Display deck statistics

The main things I've done here compared to my last build are to skew the curve towards lower CMCs and to have a little more defense with a fourth Path and two Verdicts (which I might switch to Damnations if MM17 makes them cheaper). Dream Twist isn't a great mill spell but it gives me more turn 1 plays and also Flashback for if I run out of gas; I might go up to 4 and drop the single Mind Funeral if the former does better for me than the latter (but Funeral is really good against aggro decks without a lot of land, tough matchups for me). Some lingering thoughts-

-Been waffling between Supreme Verdict and Mesmeric Orb for mainboard vs sideboard. Verdict is great defense because multiple creatures are always a threat and it puts them in the yard unlike Path, but it's tough to cast. Meanwhile Mesmeric Orb is also good when your opponent has multiple creatures in play but doesn't help get them off your back. Basically it's a question of running an offensive card MB vs running a defensive one. Is there a general correct answer to this type of card selection?

-I feel kind of dirty running only two Crypt Incursions, even with extra removal. Could put a third in the SB and take out a Memento, but I've been wanting to try Memento out in this type of deck for a while.

-Is two Ghost Quarters too greedy for a three-color deck? It gets the manlands that I can't wrath away and sets off Archive Trap, but there's a pretty high color cost for a lot of these cards and it might be nice to have more basics to fetch so I don't ding my own life total with shocklands too often.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Which store?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

Still trying to fine-tune Esper Mill for next Modern FNM after being off of it for a few months, I feel pretty good about this version-

Have you tried just straight UB with Fatal Push instead? I always had problems with the Esper list even if the Path/Archive trap interaction was nice. Instead I was able to go up to 4 Ghost Quarters and 4 Orbs maindeck.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

GoutPatrol posted:

Have you tried just straight UB with Fatal Push instead? I always had problems with the Esper list even if the Path/Archive trap interaction was nice. Instead I was able to go up to 4 Ghost Quarters and 4 Orbs maindeck.

I do have a UB list with 4 Orbs but it was geared towards getting Delerium and Manic Scribe, I never really tested it. 4 Quarters does sound nice but I might be too chicken to completely give up white, if only for the SB options. Like I said though, if I can get a couple of Damnations on the cheap then UB gets a lot more appealing. Maybe something like

Mainboard
-4 Path
-2 Verdict
-3 Breaking
+4 Push
+3 Orb
+1 Incursion
+1 Funeral
-1 Shrine
-2 Fountain
-2 Flats
+1 Strand
+1 Delta
+2 Quarter
+1 Swamp

Sideboard
-2 Disenchant
-1 Orb
-2 Hide//Seek
-2 Stony
-1 Memento
+2 Hurkyl's
+1 Night of Soul's Betrayal
+2 Memoricide (or similar effect for pulling Emrakuls out of decks, BEFORE they hit the yard)
+3 Echoing Truth/Set Adrift (need something to take out Blood Moon and Leyline)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 3, 2017

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I do have a UB list with 4 Orbs but it was geared towards getting Delerium and Manic Scribe, I never really tested it. 4 Quarters does sound nice but I might be too chicken to completely give up white, if only for the SB options. Like I said though, if I can get a couple of Damnations on the cheap then UB gets a lot more appealing. Maybe something like

Use Yahenni's expertise as a budget replacement that also lets you live the Breaking/Entering dream

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

mtgcardmarket

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
How critical are Glimpses for UBx Mill? I have a single one of them and am not in a hurry to pay for more. Have all the other cards though.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Smashing Link posted:

How critical are Glimpses for UBx Mill? I have a single one of them and am not in a hurry to pay for more. Have all the other cards though.

It's the only good card in the deck, and "good" is a stretch here

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Wow rude

Smashing Link posted:

It's pretty strong but I can understand not wanting to buy them at 30 a pop. Breaking//Entering does OK in that slot and I guess Mind Sculpt from M13 (1U mill 7) but a lot of my losses with mill have come when my opponents are very low on cards, so that extra two or three per cast might actually make a difference. I guess load up on Breaking, Mind Funeral and Orb (hope you got them before they went up) then Sculpt to fill out the rest.

little munchkin posted:

Use Yahenni's expertise as a budget replacement that also lets you live the Breaking/Entering dream

Does this actually work? I know you can cast Entering off a Shelldock Isle but I think the CMC restriction on Expertise would spot you from casting the Entering half there.

VVV :pusheen:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 3, 2017

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

You're casting it from your hand so fuse away

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

there was a deck at regionals built around exactly that mechanic

Creatures
4 Simian Spirit Guide

Instants
4 Goryo's Vengeance
4 Through the Breach

Legendary Creatures
4 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
4 Griselbrand

Sorceries
4 Breaking
2 Cathartic Reunion
2 Collective Brutality
4 Faithless Looting
4 Kari Zev's Expertise
4 Serum Visions

Basic Lands
1 Island
1 Mountain
1 Swamp

Lands
1 Blackcleave Cliffs
1 Blood Crypt
1 Darkslick Shores
2 Forbidden Orchard
4 Polluted Delta
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Spirebluff Canal
1 Steam Vents
1 Watery Grave

Sideboard:
2 Dispel
1 Fatal Push
1 Murderous Cut
2 Spell Pierce
2 Anger of the Gods
1 Collective Brutality
2 Painful Truths
2 Thoughtseize
1 Vandalblast
1 Yahenni's Expertise

Plus I've seen Caleb and a few others play decks with Brain in a Jar and Sram's Expertise into Beck/Call, and then play a UW control game with ancestrals, cryptics, paths etc.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

That's my usual LGS though I haven't played legacy there. It usually gets a good modern crowd however. Where's your regular stomping ground?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

there was a deck at regionals built around exactly that mechanic

Creatures
4 Simian Spirit Guide

Instants
4 Goryo's Vengeance
4 Through the Breach

Legendary Creatures
4 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
4 Griselbrand

Sorceries
4 Breaking
2 Cathartic Reunion
2 Collective Brutality
4 Faithless Looting
4 Kari Zev's Expertise
4 Serum Visions

Basic Lands
1 Island
1 Mountain
1 Swamp

Lands
1 Blackcleave Cliffs
1 Blood Crypt
1 Darkslick Shores
2 Forbidden Orchard
4 Polluted Delta
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Spirebluff Canal
1 Steam Vents
1 Watery Grave

Sideboard:
2 Dispel
1 Fatal Push
1 Murderous Cut
2 Spell Pierce
2 Anger of the Gods
1 Collective Brutality
2 Painful Truths
2 Thoughtseize
1 Vandalblast
1 Yahenni's Expertise

Plus I've seen Caleb and a few others play decks with Brain in a Jar and Sram's Expertise into Beck/Call, and then play a UW control game with ancestrals, cryptics, paths etc.

Oh so that's why Breaking actually costs something now, lol. If I can get cheap Griselbrands and Tarns I might have to try that (and Goryo's I guess, bleh)

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

That's my usual LGS though I haven't played legacy there. It usually gets a good modern crowd however. Where's your regular stomping ground?

DC. I've been traveling for work the entire time I've lived in Chicago so i don't get to the LGS much. I did make one modern event there and made some people pretty upset with stompy, but by and large the players I've interacted with are cool

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Double-posting like an rear end in a top hat. Here's a deck i'm trying out online. Things I'm not sure about : Notion Thief, Painful Truths, not having council's judgment main, playing 20 lands, playing only two Fatal Push across the whole list, not playing Virtue's Ruin because gently caress Death and Taxes

//Main
4 Baleful Strix
4 Monastery Mentor
3 Snapcaster Mage
1 True-Name Nemesis
1 Venser, Shaper Savant

4 Brainstorm
3 Cabal Therapy
3 Unearth
2 Fatal Push
4 Force of Will
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Thought Scour

4 Flooded Strand
2 Island
1 Karakas
1 Cavern of Souls
1 Plains
4 Polluted Delta
1 Scrubland
1 Swamp
3 Tundra
2 Underground Sea

//Sideboard
1 Council's Judgment
1 Disenchant
2 Flusterstorm
2 Notion Thief
1 Null Rod
1 Painful Truths
3 Surgical Extraction
2 Thoughtseize
2 Umezawa's Jitte

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

A. Dread of Night is like Virtue's Ruin except you'll be able to cast it.

2. You should probably play Deathrite because if you're not playing that card in this format you're making a mistake.

III. Why Venser? Why not Clique?

Also you might want to try to make yourself less dependant on the graveyard post-board, especially if you do end up playing Deathrite, which you should because it's a mistake not to play that card.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I'm playing venser instead of clique because then I can cavern on humans to cast it and also because i didn't find room for a MB Vindicate effect so he's there to deal with random poo poo I can't swords or fatal push.

what am i cutting for deathrites? the card is sweet but it means I get even more turbofucked by RIP. I guess thoughtscours? Is 4 brainstorm 4 probe 4 strix enough to get through the deck?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
I would cut Unearth and Thought Scour for Deathrite and Ponder if you want to be able to cantrip more effectively and limit RIP exposure.

Re: Venser vs Clique, what decks are you trying to resolve Venser against where Cavern matters? Don't just think about creature types; they are good against completely different types of decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

it's mostly the sneak and show matchup, but i dunno. people play lots of weird poo poo and have countermagic.

im not cutting unearths because the only reason for me to play this deck is to cast unearth

e: vensering your own snapcasters back is kinda sweet too but having that sort of mana is probably a pipe dream

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 5, 2017