Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
based off the goon who got caught growing weed on government property in japan its a great place to commit major crimes so long as you just refuse to confess despite all the evidence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yo I'm not doubting it happened to you and I don't think any of us were, but "touts will literally abduct you" is not exactly an accurate statement because the suggestion is that it's a regular occurrence, which I doubt, and most people here doubt, based upon our combined decades of living in Japan, and Aredna's presumably literal decade of boozing in Roppongi (which is impressive when you consider he hasn't been in Japan for a decade, but Roppongi tends to warp time).

For example I've had a couple old Japanese assholes literally try to fight me, but I don't make the statement "Japanese people will try to fight you" because those were the actions of a individuals and not really enough of a sample size to make broad claims about people. Expats making claims like this not realizing how ridiculous their generalizations are is a common occurrence and the thread, the individuals in it, and myself, reacted as we usually do.

It wasn't until later that the details of your posts suggested that you were a woman and I didn't realize myself. Congrats, you're getting treated like any other poster here does; this is equality.

For fucks sake the whole thread repeatedly called ooohboy a trash human being with no friends and not even he huffed off so quick.

But they didn't say "oh really, that's not my experience, do you mean...?" they said "no, you're wrong"

Much like with ohhboy, it's not our fault if someone sounds like a weenie.

welwala harris
Jan 28, 2005
Bear-hugging and carrying off random foreign women in an extremely popular tourist area just to get them into izakaya (bars where you drink and order lots of small dishes of food to share) is the weird part really. Some random tout breaking down and going off crazy hard on someone is believable (the Kabukicho story), the idea that it's even a grey-area business practice to loving pick women up and carry them to cheap lovely bars on Takeshita-dori is what's going to set off bullshit alarms, because lmfao that's bullshit

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

nickmeister posted:

As for the Tokyo kidnapper story, what's their game plan? They physically carry you into the bar to...? I mean are they trying to force you to patronize their bar or are they trying to abduct you into slavery? That sounds seriously scary. Also, Japan seems like a weird place to go to commit felonies, but I guess the Japanese police largely ignore it if they keep it confined to their one little area and only pray on other foreigners?

Japan definitely has a human trafficking problem, but it's mostly a receiver, and even if they're going to abduct someone they'd probably just drug them, also why would they target foreign tourists? Japan has a shitton of girls who live invisible lives working mizushoubai who probably would not even be noticed if they disappeared.

They usual scam with touts is occasionally the really seedy places will charge an "entrance fee" of a couple hundred bucks just for going in, without mentioning it. But if you literally physically take someone into someplace thats not likely to fly. I have no doubt that she came across a crazy dude but it's not a sustainable or profitable tactic to literally just pick up people off the street so it's not like it's some established tactic for touts.

The story here is "some dude/ettes are potentially violent nutbags" but that's not really news or unique to Japan or touts or anything.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Let us English posted:

Pretending you don't speak English is a good way to get away from Nigerians in Roppongi. They know you're full of poo poo but don't want to do the work of getting you to break the facade AND THEN convince you to gently caress their slaves hookers.
Me and my buddy did that; it helps both of us speak several languages in common other than English tho. We picked Swedish most of the time

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

wait, wtf happened?

Haier posted:

I haven't skateboarded in like 3+ weeks because of rain or bad knee

bro, girl on top...save your Qi..

Haier posted:

Despite being the most (or one of the most) expensive cities in China, it has a high-level of hillbillies or old people who grew up in caves, and the weird behavior comes out from time to time.

PLUS furry five heads?? sounds like a loving paradise, sign me up

peanut posted:

Persistence Deathmatch
Roppongi touts vs Istanbul carpet bros

putting my money on thai suit guys

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

ladron posted:

wait, wtf happened?

loving patriarchy man, even when people don't know you're a woman they can like *sense* it; that's when the oppression starts

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LimburgLimbo posted:

For fucks sake the whole thread repeatedly called ooohboy a trash human being with no friends and not even he huffed off so quick.

just for the record I never thought oohhboy was trash and I am happy he had a good time in Hong Kong, I think he was really excited to go back and I thank him for taking the time to post all that he did. I hope other people that visit china can have a good experience and enjoy it as well. China is cool and good

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
I'm not trying to discredit or back anyone up, and this set of experiences only applies to what I have seen in korea, but yeah, guys will totally grab, push, pull, carry, coerce, etc. women into their booking clubs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booking_(clubbing)) .
It's partly a cultural thing (oh no I'm a woman, I can't go there and get all slutty unless someone forces me!") partly a patriarch thing (loving bitch be my cock hole and serve me drinks GET IN THERE) and partly girls just scamming guys for drinks like everywhere else in the world.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ladron posted:

I'm not trying to discredit or back anyone up, and this set of experiences only applies to what I have seen in korea, but yeah, guys will totally grab, push, pull, carry, coerce, etc. women into their booking clubs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booking_(clubbing)) .
It's partly a cultural thing (oh no I'm a woman, I can't go there and get all slutty unless someone forces me!") partly a patriarch thing (loving bitch be my cock hole and serve me drinks GET IN THERE) and partly girls just scamming guys for drinks like everywhere else in the world.

if anyone wants to comment on this please make sure you include your age, race, preferred gender, sexual preference and any physical disabilities you may have, so I can properly frame your argument and assess the multi-layered power dynamics at play before I take into account the actual words you wrote

TIA

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The Great Autismo! posted:

if anyone wants to comment on this please make sure you include your age, race, preferred gender, sexual preference and any physical disabilities you may have, so I can properly frame your argument and assess the multi-layered power dynamics at play before I take into account the actual words you wrote

TIA

im permabanned poster niggerstomper58. i first started reading fyad when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "irony" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "friend of the family balls" and "i love making GBS threads inside friend of the family assholes" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "ironic" style of fyad humor was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" fyad to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
While we are on the subject of misogyny, one of my best buddies in China was a Turkish dude named Torker. He was in China avoiding Turkish military conscription for as long as he could maintain a valid visa. From what I could tell, he supported himself with a mix of English teaching, night club table giggoloing, and his true passion, the pursuit and exploitation of "Chinese shoo-gar mamas."

Torker and I spent lots of long nights playing dice, mooching free drinks at night clubs, and driving around town drunk on the motor scooter one of his shoogar mamas gave him. I think he told any Chinese person who asked that he was an American from Nevada, where he was an exchange student for one semester in college.

Any woman we didn't know was invariably 'this beetch,' and his constant fixation was on 'her legs, my god!' He would call me up about once a week to yell at me "[haki]! you should have come to [night club] last night! I try to call! This beetch! Her legs! My god! loving god! You should have seen her!"

He had a system for trying to date Chinese girls and obtain new shoogar mamas. He kept five numbers saved in his phone, numbered one through five, no names, each corresponding to a 'beetch'. If a prospect didn't work out, he would delete the phone number and a slot would open up for a new one.

Whenever it didn't work out, and it usually didn't, he would tell me all about it, and the story was pretty much always the same.

"Haki, these loving Chinese beeches!" "Yeah Torker, what happened?" "Last days, I was at the club, and I meet this beetch, and I tell you, this beetch, her legs, my god! And I get her number, I put her as number 3, in my phone!" "Yeah?" "That was three days ago, and today, I call her, I say in Chinese, hi, this Torker, you want to go to coffee? And she say no, I cannot go, sorry! So I delete her number! This loving bollshit! All these Chinese beetches! They are all the same!"

He loved to scheme and plot, and told me a story from his time as an exchange student. He took an English lit class, and his professor made had them read a book then write a paper about it, but wouldnt let them do a book that had been made into a movie.

He didn't want to read a book, so he hatched a plan. The instructor was a woman, and, unsurprisingly, he admired her legs, so he would go to her office hours all the time to leer at her. Each week he would tell her that he couldn't get into whatever book he had picked, because of his English, and beg to be allowed to switch to a different one. She agreed three or four weeks in a row, but the assignment was coming due, and she broke down and told him he could read whatever book he was able to get through, as long as he did the assignment. Beaming with pride, he found a book that had been adapted into a movie, and watched the movie.

He called me up one night and wanted me to tell anyone who asked that he had been with me all night, because he had crashed the SUV his new shoogar mama was letting him drive, and ran off because he didn't have a drivers license.

He and I were the last people from our group of friends to leave China. He went home to face his conscription the same week I left.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

LimburgLimbo posted:

loving patriarchy man, even when people don't know you're a woman they can like *sense* it; that's when the oppression starts

Who are you talking about here? I'm honestly confused. Fleta has mentioned being a woman pretty recently in the thread, so I assume it's not her.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

just for the record I never thought oohhboy was trash and I am happy he had a good time in Hong Kong, I think he was really excited to go back and I thank him for taking the time to post all that he did. I hope other people that visit china can have a good experience and enjoy it as well. China is cool and good

would have been like 100% more enjoyable and less mocked if he had only posted a picture every thousand words or so, but yeah, glad you had fun in HK, ohhhboy.
Seek treatment~~

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Pirate Radar posted:

Who are you talking about here? I'm honestly confused. Fleta has mentioned being a woman pretty recently in the thread, so I assume it's not her.

with giant boobs, I remember specifically

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

TIA

the post you quoted offends me because it contains the words"cock" and "hole" right next to each other like some harlot's dictionary

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I want to believe that ohhhboyyy has not been scared off since he doesn't seem like the scared off type.

I choose to believe he is spending a whole day getting the perfect picture of his suit to shut the haters up once and for all

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ladron posted:

with giant boobs, I remember specifically

Meh, I'll be fair and let that one go by since this is where GBS and Tumblr have something in common: not everybody with big boobs is a woman.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
This derail is getting progressively worse, but it's still better than an ohboy post.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

Didn't notice I guess. Stringent also said he didn't. I mostly read on my phone so I'm probably missing poo poo.

Pirate Radar posted:

Meh, I'll be fair and let that one go by since this is where GBS and Tumblr have something in common: not everybody with big boobs is a woman.

Also this.

welwala harris
Jan 28, 2005
this is some pretty chabudou posting lately i think

lotta not china posters doing some kan re nao and having a chat in the thread

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I agree. Ohhboy, come back! I'm so sorry. Please come back and post the suit.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LimburgLimbo posted:

Didn't notice I guess. Stringent also said he didn't.

No, I said I didn't realize Let Us English was a woman.

welwala harris
Jan 28, 2005
tonight I met a Chinese girl, and I thought we were starting to hit it off but then she told me that listening to hip hop meant that i had a very hot spirit, and that she was looking for men that were a bit cooler

shits rough

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

hakimashou posted:

While we are on the subject of misogyny, one of my best buddies in China was a Turkish dude named Torker.

Okay, two things. One, this sounds pretty familiar, I would estimate that about 25% of expats fit this category. Two, why was this rear end in a top hat your best buddy??

welwala harris
Jan 28, 2005
yo china thread shitposter

why would such an upstanding individual be friends with an rear end in a top hat like Torker?

explain

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

ladron posted:

From my understanding this is something different because the girls already willingly go there.

I've actually been to one of these places in Busan, though not by choice. I was visiting Korea during a break from Japanese language school and it was me, my former Korean housemate from Tokyo, and his two friends, one of which was a rather short and not particularly good looking chef in what looked like schoolboys bowl cut who tried to fight someone about 3 times that night, from what I gather, though I'm not sure on details as I know virtually no Korean and the only person I could talk to was my former housemate. Our common language was Japanese, and honestly his Japanese was not that good.

Anyway we went drinking a bit, then he said lets go to a club. I thought it was a normal club, but there seemed to be some difficulty at the entrance, I think because they thought I might be military; I usually kept my hair in a buzzcut then, and generally had that sort of skinniness you see in a fresh-out-of boot Marine that joined to make something of himself and get ripped, but had only gotten so far as to become skinny as a hell once they had to run every day and were separated from going for seconds and thirds of their momma's special enchilada. So I could see where they were coming from.

My friend eventually negotiated us in, and we went to this huge underground club with a high ceiling and crazy stage that had moving walls. I think it was previously (or even currently, in the daytime) some sort of theater or event space. We sat down, got the whisky and fruit course, where they brought us whisky and fresh fruit, which which I presume would have been as awful of a combination as it sounds were it not for the soju drank previously, after which everything else is either at-least-better-than-the-loving-soju or the kind of numb deliciousness that only comes from being proper drunk.

It was suggested that we get some girls; being the goony goon I was at the time I was hesitant to try and hit on girls who I could not talk to at all, but it seemed that wouldn't be an issue, as nobody at my table was standing up to go to the dance floor. This didn't seem that conducive to chatting up girls, but little did I know that while I wasn't looking my friend had negotiated with one of the staff, who a few minutes later came back *literally dragging two girls* who were at least putting on a show of resistance across to our table.

This weirded me the gently caress out, but then I realized looking across at the other tables that this was happening everywhere, with girls getting dragged from table to table. It was odd as hell, but my friend was busy talking to a girl himself, and my questions were not to be answered until one of the girls brought by happened to speak English. She explained to me the system, and told me that most of the people, girls included, there were actually there for the afterparty of her university's graduation ceremony.

Why the gently caress they would go there willingly for graduation party I do not know, and doubt I got a good answer for.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Stringent posted:

No, I said I didn't realize Let Us English was a woman.

LimburgLimbo posted:

I mostly read on my phone so I'm probably missing poo poo.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Pirate Radar posted:

I agree. Ohhboy, come back! I'm so sorry. Please come back and post the suit.

This suit posting is gonna be the eggs all over again.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

moldovan scullery posted:

tonight I met a Chinese girl, and I thought we were starting to hit it off but then she told me that listening to hip hop meant that i had a very hot spirit, and that she was looking for men that were a bit cooler

shits rough

You could try to drink cold water to cool your spirit but it would be bad for the healthy so be careful

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Darkest Auer posted:

Okay, two things. One, this sounds pretty familiar, I would estimate that about 25% of expats fit this category. Two, why was this rear end in a top hat your best buddy??

Sometimes a guy has friends, but they're not the friends he's going to take home to meet Mom and Dad, you know?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

your age, race, preferred gender, sexual preference and any physical disabilities you may have,
TIA
Old enough to know better, attack helicopter, you and only you, being a loving goony fucker

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

also i dont think people mind "x happened to me" "well it didnt happen to me" stuff, its "x happened to me" "no it didnt, couldnt have coz it didnt happen to me" that pisses people off. esspecially if you also include "...although they got physical with me in a slightly different way" after saying it flat out never happened to the.other poster

And "bai thred" is a 'meltdown' now? Puh-leese.

someone else brought up fleta or whatever her name is these days being a woman not her

i said id take pics and post if thread wasnt lovely, i took pics, but thread still lovely

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
has anybody read Tokyo Vice

lots of "foreigners in japan" stories that kind of resemble the chinese ones here. he's sort of a nerd that becomes a journalist, fluent in Japanese and works for a major paper. even as a veteran he has a hard time interviewing anyone because they all tell him to go away and they alredy subscribe to the paper and then look confused when he explains he's a journalist working for it

Also foreign strippers get killed and no one gives a poo poo

and in one case the heads of a yakuza group go to UCLA to get liver transplants after lots of bribery. All fun stories

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

aw i cant stay mad at you

Hong Kong - The old, the new, the green bamboo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

stop using tinypic pictures hosted there don't show on SA

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

simplefish posted:

also i dont think people mind "x happened to me" "well it didnt happen to me" stuff, its "x happened to me" "no it didnt, couldnt have coz it didnt happen to me" that pisses people off. esspecially if you also include "...although they got physical with me in a slightly different way" after saying it flat out never happened to the.other poster

And "bai thred" is a 'meltdown' now? Puh-leese.

someone else brought up fleta or whatever her name is these days being a woman not her

i said id take pics and post if thread wasnt lovely, i took pics, but thread still lovely

What if the thread is lovely because you post in it therefore you will never be able to post pictures!?

Drunk & Ugly posted:

has anybody read Tokyo Vice

lots of "foreigners in japan" stories that kind of resemble the chinese ones here. he's sort of a nerd that becomes a journalist, fluent in Japanese and works for a major paper. even as a veteran he has a hard time interviewing anyone because they all tell him to go away and they alredy subscribe to the paper and then look confused when he explains he's a journalist working for it

Also foreign strippers get killed and no one gives a poo poo

and in one case the heads of a yakuza group go to UCLA to get liver transplants after lots of bribery. All fun stories

Nobody believes Jakeyboy. I've met him a few times and don't believe him. Some of it based on reality I'm sure but definitely heeeeeavily embellished.

He says poo poo like he's in hiding but he also used to just hang around in the Pink Cow so he must not be trying hard.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 3, 2017

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Jose posted:

stop using tinypic pictures hosted there don't show on SA

I didnt know that, it shows for me, and if it was a better pic Id change it

LimburgLimbo posted:

What if the thread is lovely because you post in it therefore you will never be able to post pictures?

Ah, the shitposter's paradox

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

simplefish posted:

Remember the first rule of the Internet: if you communicate poorly, it's actually their fault for not understanding you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

simplefish posted:

I didnt know that, it shows for me, and if it was a better pic Id change it

hong kong owns

french toast from a wok in a food court underneath a highway, it owned

• Locked thread