Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sassassin posted:

That's underthinking. If people are genuinely missing an obvious point, accuse them of thinking badly, not of thinking too much.

The only reason to fear "overthinking" is if you are worried that your opinions might change if you pay too close attention. In a society where huge numbers of people forge identities based on the media they consume, this is understandable.

No one wants to believe their favourite TV doctor engages is a "secret" misogynist, as what does that say about them?

"Switch your brain off and enjoy it" is an mantra of an egotistical coward.

That's... very accurate. Feels like we have moved to an era where pop culture is supplanting ideology. And just like Communists hunted Revisionists who challenged their world view structure, fanboys hate anybody who seriously critiques the merit of the piece of media to which they grew accidentally attached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Feels like we have moved to an era

Here's my unpopular opinion, statements like these are total bullshit.

There's nothing special or new about whatever "era" we're in. I mean, sure, we have smartphones and Internet, but nothing about humanity has changed. Millennials are not uniquely awful, people are not worse or dumber or more reliant on technology than they used to be, etc.

Pop culture has always been important in some sense, it's not more important nowadays and we're not in some "era" of pop culture saturation.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WampaLord posted:

Pop culture has always been important in some sense, it's not more important nowadays and we're not in some "era" of pop culture saturation.

https://www.google.cz/search?q=harr...AUIBigB&dpr=1.5
https://www.google.cz/search?q=harr...r+games+trump&*

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Pop Culture *is* culture. If you take that away, all you have are those traditional costumes and dances nobody really clings to and identifies with anyway.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

So? What does this prove?

There were kids drawing doodles like these back in the 60s or 70s but using Star Trek and Nixon, they just didn't have an Internet to share them.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WampaLord posted:

So? What does this prove?

There were kids drawing doodles like these back in the 60s or 70s but using Star Trek and Nixon, they just didn't have an Internet to share them.

I sincerely doubt major newspapers and TV stations were routinely using pop culture references as their main means of grounding events for their audiences. Also 60s and 70s aren't that far off, and focusing entirely on America is denying the massive change in pop culture significance in the rest of the world in like last 20 years. Denying the exploding importance of pop culture in generalized discourse is denying the incredible ways in which the entertainment and news sectors are growing intertwined, and that's just talking about journalism alone.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Anyway, p. sure if somebody in 1920s based his identity around Steamboat Willy, he would be committed to an asylum, instead of catered and celebrated by pretty much every form of corporate media like Disney freaks, SW geeks etc. today.

There is The Sorrows of Young Werther and some other stupid poo poo inspired by Romantic fanboys, but back then the public also realized those people were not right in the head.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Tatoos are so loving stupid. Not from an artistic standpoint but from a self worth standpoint. I do not understand why people can't be content with the contents of their own mind without a physical projection to reinforce their beleifs.

Same with piercings or dyed hair or clothes in general. No one cares about your physical versions of your mental representations. loving get over yourselves.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Ramagamma posted:

Tatoos are so loving stupid. Not from an artistic standpoint but from a self worth standpoint. I do not understand why people can't be content with the contents of their own mind without a physical projection to reinforce their beleifs.

Same with piercings or dyed hair or clothes in general. No one cares about your physical versions of your mental representations. loving get over yourselves.

Not to mention those idiots who write books or paint pictures. Get over yourselves, jeeze :rolleyes:

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Unkempt posted:

Not to mention those idiots who write books or paint pictures. Get over yourselves, jeeze :rolleyes:

loving massive difference between some oval office writing a book and Maggie down the chippy getting a butterfly on her arse crack.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Unkempt posted:

There are plenty of people writing and "creating" out of unashamed narcissism. That's why vanity press the fastest growing sector of the publishing industry.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What clothes do you prefer people to wear Ramagamma?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
look at this guy and tell me with a straight face you don't judge him

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

poo poo, he's married and I'm not, must be doing something right.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He should be wearing a gray skirt.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Fitting he's on train tracks, at least.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

steinrokkan posted:

I sincerely doubt major newspapers and TV stations were routinely using pop culture references as their main means of grounding events for their audiences.
They were, you just don't recognise it as pop culture because it's aimed at an audience other than you.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

I'm judging him because combining a black shirt and vest with a brown kilt is a crime against fashion.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

oldpainless posted:

What clothes do you prefer people to wear Ramagamma?

Plain stuff unless we are taking about 18 year old lassies in which case whatever garment gives me the best view of arse and tit.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

steinrokkan posted:

"Well, it's just a top hat, not really too bad"

and then i scroll down and see the skirt and realize its a steampunk jerkoff

"gently caress"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The "this movie is misogynistic" critique is just about as shallow as the movie is. You can think whatever you want but parroting the same thing you read on tumblr/huffpo/jezebel/whatever is annoying and tiresome. It's like trying to analyze the tasting notes of a steel reserve the same way they do for craft beer - yeah you can do it and there's nothing "wrong" with doing it, but your time would be better spent enjoying it for what it is in my opinion.

e: veni veni veni I know you didn't say that explicitly, but every time someone mentions that movie someone eventually brings it up and it seems like a big "thing" with goons so I considered it 50/50 that that is why you didn't like it. My bad.

The terrible characters and stupid writing are bigger reasons to not like Jurassic World. But the fact that the female lead's entire character arc is learning that she needs to stop caring about her job so much, settle for the only man who will have her, and raise a family. That's not a shallow critique, that's literally a thing in the movie. I'm not parroting that from somewhere, it's a thing I saw in the movie I watched

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

spit on my clit posted:

"Well, it's just a top hat, not really too bad"

Uh huh...

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So steampricks claim top hats, neckbeards claim fedoras... I like big 'ol floppy sunhats. Anyone ruin those yet?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Well, they're ruined now...

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Aramek posted:

Well, they're ruined now...

*Eyes your avatar's nursing cap*
*Narrows eyes*

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

That's fair.

(At my clinic we don't *have* to wear scrubs, and it rules.)

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Ramagamma posted:

Ok dad.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Ramagamma posted:

Most tattoos are not intended to be "physical versions of your mental representations", instead they signal that you belong to or want to belong to a group, real or imaginary. "Look dude I love this thing so much I got it on me permanent like! So cool, me too! Let's gently caress."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Nerd culture becoming mainstream has shined a light on how loving dumb it always was.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tattoos are awesome because its a socially accepted form of self mutilation and can really look beautiful if done correctly. You're pushink ink into an open wound. That's badass.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

What the hell is he holding? some sort of ridiculous pipe?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

doverhog posted:

Most tattoos are not intended to be "physical versions of your mental representations", instead they signal that you belong to or want to belong to a group, real or imaginary. "Look dude I love this thing so much I got it on me permanent like! So cool, me too! Let's gently caress."

I think that's what he was trying to say.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tattoos are a sign of having more money than sense.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Same with make-up and hair dye, really.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I hate my loving tattoos and got them all when I was 18, 15 years ago and I still have people ask me about them all the time. Tattoos suck.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Some tattoos I can get behind, like commemorating a friend or something (even if I personally would never do it), but the ones who just slap their hobbies on their skin to start conversations are kind of lame. Wow, you have a 1up mushroom on your wrist, how unique and deep, I too also have heard of video games and have even played them. There's definitely a line you can cross (and many people do) from having a tattoo that means something to you deeply enough to want it to be permanently on you and making yourself a walking billboard of your interests as a desperate beacon flashing "please talk to me".

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

Nerd culture becoming mainstream has shined a light on how loving dumb it always was.

Agreed. And nerd culture is responsible for everything being remakes and reboots nowadays. Things like Star Wars became popular because they were unique and interesting and groundbreaking and innovative. But nerds have to obsess over everything so they glomp onto it and end up breaking it by focusing so much on "canon", completely ignoring things like story or themes. And they become so attached to childhood nostalgia that they dont allow their favorite things to change or evolve, only become "grittier" and "darker" so they dont feel so silly for enjoying something. That's why The Force Awakens and Rogue One had all the same Star Wars poo poo from the original movies, even the same plot in the case of TFA, but very little actually new or innovating stuff. This is also true of other franchises. I never bothered to see Jurassic World but everyone has said that its just a retread of the original Jurassic Park. The original JP is an incredible film and actually pretty good science-fiction, in my opinion. Jurassic World doesnt do anything at all that is interesting or innovative and is even pretty regressive in the way it deliberately portrays dinosaurs inaccurately (no feathers) so its not too different from JP, not too challenging to viewers who are used to scaly dinosaurs, doesnt deviate too much from peoples expecations and nostalgia.

It sucks.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
If you're going to bother to poo poo-talk a movie at least watch it first.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
"Nerd culture" is really broad. There is some great stuff on TV, like Legion, that would never have happened without comics becoming mainstream. Are scifi novels like A Scanner Darkly part of nerd culture? Is that the same culture as My Little Pony? Really broad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

doverhog posted:

"Nerd culture" is really broad. There is some great stuff on TV, like Legion, that would never have happened without comics becoming mainstream. Are scifi novels like A Scanner Darkly part of nerd culture? Is that the same culture as My Little Pony? Really broad.

One would think that would be obvious to goons, look how we group our nerd interests by subforum right here.