Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Arrhythmia posted:

did you try taking out loans and mercs????

Yeah that's probably what killed me. I think I overcompensated and wasn't cautious enough. Went bankrupt then got attacked in 4 different wars and had Poland abandon me.

It's okay. Learning experience. At least I know what it looks like to lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Does the AI know to develop provinces on it's own or can you assume that any asian/african/american state you're not playing is going to be at +100% tech penalties for centuries?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

spectralent posted:

Does the AI know to develop provinces on it's own or can you assume that any asian/african/american state you're not playing is going to be at +100% tech penalties for centuries?
The AI definitely develops its provinces, often seemingly at random, but overall the non-Euro AI can be pretty competent at getting Institutions or at least prioritizing tech. I think they tied its skill at doing so into the leader personalities that the AI rulers get now.

sckye
Apr 6, 2012
So, I just encountered a really weird bug.

There should be 34 infantry regiments, yet the game only puts enough in the front line to match the enemy forces. Anything over that doesn't seem to exist as far as the game is concerned.
Anyone know how to unfuck the game?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

sckye posted:

So, I just encountered a really weird bug.

There should be 34 infantry regiments, yet the game only puts enough in the front line to match the enemy forces. Anything over that doesn't seem to exist as far as the game is concerned.

I don't think that's a bug it's just the maximum number of infantry that can engage the enemy plus cavalry flanking. That's how armies deploy.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

sckye posted:

Bring the correct number of cav for your tech level

sckye
Apr 6, 2012
Not really. They should either go to the second line or the reserves.
Here, I started a new game from the 1701 bookmark:

24k infantry, deployed properly.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The AI definitely develops its provinces, often seemingly at random, but overall the non-Euro AI can be pretty competent at getting Institutions or at least prioritizing tech. I think they tied its skill at doing so into the leader personalities that the AI rulers get now.

So, expect it but don't rely on it, in short?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

spectralent posted:

So, expect it but don't rely on it, in short?
Thats how I would put it, yes.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
The AI will develop like a mofo. It's especially noticeable in the HRE with OPMs. I can think of games fighting the Ottomans and leaving them with three provinces in Anatolia only to find they all had 30+ dev in the 1600s. But... Yeah, can't exactly rely on it.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

sckye posted:

In your original screenshot, is your military width high enough for the rest of your infantry?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

sckye posted:

Ok, so you see all those infantry to the right and left of the cavalry. They aren't doing anything, so what are you worried about? Put your mouse over one of the xs in battle and it won't be moving to the other side, now put your mouse over the cavalry or the middle infantry and you'll see they are engaging.

edit: your "missing" infantry will be replaced as they take casualties.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Tsyni posted:

Ok, so you see all those infantry to the right and left of the cavalry. They aren't doing anything, so what are you worried about? Put your mouse over one of the xs in battle and it won't be moving to the other side, now put your mouse over the cavalry or the middle infantry and you'll see they are engaging.

Doesn't flanking range increase over time? So they deploy in 1701 when they would be able to flank that far, but not in 1600 when they would do nothing.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

AnoHito posted:

Doesn't flanking range increase over time? So they deploy in 1701 when they would be able to flank that far, but not in 1600 when they would do nothing.

The max infantry flanking range is 2, so those infantry would still be useless. If they were all cavalry it would be a different story because they can get up to 5 flanking range.

edit: actually it might be more then 5 flanking range for cavalry with certain NI...not sure how that works, but I think you could see up to 7-8 maybe?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Well you can use it to completely break the game for one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqJY-M5uAiA

Holy poo poo I'm gonna do this right now :staredog:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mister Adequate posted:

Holy poo poo I'm gonna do this right now :staredog:
It was talked about in this thread a while ago. The guy who made the video doesnt point out how hard it can be to break into Mexico and overall he makes it sound much easier than it actually is.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It was talked about in this thread a while ago. The guy who made the video doesnt point out how hard it can be to break into Mexico and overall he makes it sound much easier than it actually is.

Yeah it's a cool idea but the Reman guy exaggerates how tedious the start is, and keep in mind he doesn't catch up in tech and really take off until after 1600. He calls it one of the most powerful nations in the game but I think that's really a stretch, you get about the same results as Aztec.

sckye
Apr 6, 2012

really queer Christmas posted:

In your original screenshot, is your military width high enough for the rest of your infantry?

Yes, the width is 29.

Tsyni posted:

edit: your "missing" infantry will be replaced as they take casualties.

They aren't being replaced - that's the point. The game doesn't even put them on the battlefield. As soon as they retreat/die, that's it.

As this isn't played on ironman, I switched tags to France and attacked Spain. The same thing happened - it only brings enough infantry to fill the first rank. Every infantry regiment over that isn't put on the battlefield at all.
However, I hired a 40 stack of merc infantry, which deployed properly. Then I disbanded all the troops France had, hired a new 40 stack of pure infantry and they deployed properly as well.

Wish I knew what caused it in the first place. Having to delete your entire army to fix it is kind of rough.

edit:

Much better.

sckye fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 3, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

AI doesn't get free forts anymore

Knowing this is great because if you're paying attention, you may notice that the AI sometimes stupidly mothballs their border forts. If you declare war on them on the first day of the month, you can blitz a couple down before they have time to reinforce.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Tsyni posted:

From my current France game. Year is 1640. I have some spare mil points.

Edit: For some context I am also HRE Emperor, conquering the world. Need some good generals to siege the world down. AT hovers around 90-100.

Noooo ooonne can siege like Gaston
Can sap like Gaston
Has cannons as incredibly BIG as Gaston!

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

sckye posted:

Yes, the width is 29.

They aren't being replaced - that's the point. The game doesn't even put them on the battlefield. As soon as they retreat/die, that's it.

As this isn't played on ironman, I switched tags to France and attacked Spain. The same thing happened - it only brings enough infantry to fill the first rank. Every infantry regiment over that isn't put on the battlefield at all.
However, I hired a 40 stack of merc infantry, which deployed properly. Then I disbanded all the troops France had, hired a new 40 stack of pure infantry and they deployed properly as well.

Wish I knew what caused it in the first place. Having to delete your entire army to fix it is kind of rough.
Did you try making a new army and transferring all the regiments to it? That could work if it's an army specific bug.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Tsyni posted:

The AI will develop like a mofo. It's especially noticeable in the HRE with OPMs. I can think of games fighting the Ottomans and leaving them with three provinces in Anatolia only to find they all had 30+ dev in the 1600s. But... Yeah, can't exactly rely on it.

In my Commonwealth game, prague had reached something like 45 development around 1700. That and the +50% coring cost meant having to spend about 900 adm to grab three provinces, but I would do anything for pretty borders.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

sckye posted:

Huh, sorry for doubting you. Sometimes it's hard to know who knows what they are doing and how is a nub. That's odd.

sckye
Apr 6, 2012

Staltran posted:

Did you try making a new army and transferring all the regiments to it? That could work if it's an army specific bug.

No, I went straight for the nuclear option of disbanding everything. I'll keep it in mind if I encounter it again, though.

Tsyni posted:

Huh, sorry for doubting you. Sometimes it's hard to know who knows what they are doing and how is a nub. That's odd.

No worries, mate.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Tsyni posted:

I was thinking specifically the thing of crash-developing provinces to seed institutions, I was wondering how much you could rely on being ahead techwise of non-euro states.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you can rely on it approximately 100% of the time

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Arrhythmia posted:

Noooo ooonne can siege like Gaston
Can sap like Gaston
Has cannons as incredibly BIG as Gaston!

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

OrangeOrbit posted:

I just noticed the same thing on my attempt at Consulate of the Sea, which is a really fun Aragon game btw. Any chance of being able to fix this?

The only thing I can think of that might have done something is that I missed out on diplovassalizing Navarra by like 1 month and reloaded from the backup file, but I've done that during other games before on this patch with no problem.

AFAIK there's no way to fix it and you just have to start over. At first I also thought it was from savescumming, but after some vaguely scientific testing, I think it's from using the "Continue" button on the main menu, which I am never using again :v:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Personally I save scum and use the continue button all the time and I've never ever had a game lose Ironman status.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I would never save scum but boy howdy does this game get really unstable and crashes to desktop whenever I lose a war. What a weird bug.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

spectralent posted:

I was thinking specifically the thing of crash-developing provinces to seed institutions, I was wondering how much you could rely on being ahead techwise of non-euro states.

It partly depends on where you are, who else is there, and what decade it is. If Portugal or Spain decide to move into the African interior and are keeping up in tech, you can wind up with tags that don't have much of a penalty on technology. And institutions like global trade spread naturally from centers of trade, so it reaches everyone fairly fast.

In my Ethiopia game, everyone in India is caught up on technology because my institutions spread quickly to my provinces there. That would be the case for any African nations too, but those no longer exist

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TorakFade posted:

In my Commonwealth game, prague had reached something like 45 development around 1700. That and the +50% coring cost meant having to spend about 900 adm to grab three provinces, but I would do anything for pretty borders.

On the other hand, since coring cost caps at 30 development, anything above that is basically free.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Chickpea Roar posted:

Personally I save scum and use the continue button all the time and I've never ever had a game lose Ironman status.

It's not losing ironman status, it stays marked as ironman, just becomes ineligible for achievements- you can click on the in-game achievement browser and it comes up, but it's just an empty gray screen with no possible achievements listed. Not sure if it's a bug or what, happens pretty rarely.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Azuren posted:

It's not losing ironman status, it stays marked as ironman, just becomes ineligible for achievements- you can click on the in-game achievement browser and it comes up, but it's just an empty gray screen with no possible achievements listed. Not sure if it's a bug or what, happens pretty rarely.

Did you get a DLC in the middle of the campaign? That's what did it for me once.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gave up on Ruthenia, too boring after a few hundred years, and tried Burgundy. 14 goddamned years of regency. France is gleefully eating Iberia. But if England's allies were to get caught up in a war I'll be all over them. I can't hate France though, because when I went to war against England to take Calais to Normandy their hatred made them offer me condottieri for free and they promptly marched down to Portugal and sieged the poo poo out of them. :toot:

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
YAY! after getting raped by ming china as the manchu over and over.. The next xpac I hope will nerf the ming at the time the Manchu are supposed to take over.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Detheros posted:

RNG please, work with me here.

:v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Way back in EU3 I remember assaulting a fort. The assault failed, but exactly one defender was still alive at the end.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Meanwhile your twelve thousand cavalry mill about outside the walls; "sorry, not in our contract".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

PittTheElder posted:

Meanwhile your twelve thousand cavalry mill about outside the walls; "sorry, not in our contract".

keep a couple dudes in reserve to launch horses with catapults

• Locked thread