Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Is there going to be a by election in Cornwall?

e. This is the 3rd of 12 monthly threads all based around the idea of what would happen if Marxist thought were applied to the present day.

Breath Ray fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Breath Ray posted:

Is there going to be a by election in Cornwall?

they're going to have an independence referendum

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Do you know when? Can't find much online about it

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
May says "come and 'ave a go if ya think yer 'ard enough" to Sturgeon: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/03/theresa-may-lays-down-independence-vote-challenge-to-sturgeon

quote:

Theresa May has signalled a tougher line on Scottish demands for greater devolution after Brexit, laying down a clear challenge to Nicola Sturgeon to call another independence referendum.
The prime minister told the Scottish Conservative party she would fight against any further decentralisation of power which meant the UK became “a looser and weaker union”.
“We cannot allow our United Kingdom to drift apart,” she said.
In a marked escalation of her attacks on the first minister’s demand for greater autonomy for the Scottish parliament after Brexit, May said there would be a strict limit to any extra powers and spending.
“We must avoid any unintended consequences for the coherence and integrity of a devolved United Kingdom as a result of our leaving the EU,” May told the Scottish Tory conference in Glasgow on Friday.
The prime minister’s stance will be read by Sturgeon and the Scottish National party as an open challenge to call the threatened second referendum on independence, suggesting the Tories are confident they can win.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Breath Ray posted:

e. This is the 3rd of 12 monthly threads all based around the idea of what would happen if Marxist thought were applied to the present day.

Karl get iPad.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

oh yes the last referendum went so well. do it may, pull the triger.

Breath Ray posted:

Do you know when? Can't find much online about it

June 16th.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Everything she says is always some variation of "Put up and shut up". She never compromises over everything and then follows up with speeches of "coming together" and "national spirit". She takes and never gives and then demands everyone be happy about it. She is such a loving piece of poo poo. Shocking I know.

Treat me like the pleb that I am. I understand that. I have no power, she does. But don't act like I should like it. Like it's my duty to be happy that Brexit means Brexit and no, we definitely can't amend it even a little bit because of reasons. Stop the lovely circus.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 3, 2017

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

Everything she says is always some variation of "Put up and shut up". She never compromises over everything and then follows up with speeches of "coming together" and "national spirit". She takes and never gives and then demands everyone be happy about it. She is such a loving piece of poo poo. Shocking I know.

Yeah but what about May

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

probably right and nothing inflammatory enough for Sturgeon to use.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Treat me like the pleb that I am. I understand that. I have no power, she does. But don't act like I should like it. Like it's my duty to be happy that Brexit means Brexit and no, we definitely can't amend it even a little bit because of reasons. Stop the lovely circus.

this is what happens with unelected leaders, they don't compromise because they've never had to

it's also why communism good

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Breath Ray posted:

Yeah but what about May

Oh you card

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Paxman posted:

This is the thing, Labour made a net gain of seats in England at the last election (lost some of course but gained more) and lost loads in Scotland but to the SNP, not the Tories. The Tories went from largest party in a coalition to a majority government because of the collapse of the Lib Dems (27 seats went from Lib Dem to Tory).

So the glorious #libdemfightback is a potential problem for the Tories and might even be good for Corbyn.

I agree it might be, but if there was a general election tomorrow I'm not sure it would. A couple of points:

Labour are bleeding votes to the LDs too, I saw a John Curtis piece (I can't find at the moment) the other day and by his analysis Labour are losing five votes to the Lib Dems for every one to UKIP. That doesn't put them in a good place in marginals against well, anyone. In Lib Dem marginals we could see big swings.
The narrative is against them - demotivating activists to deliver and supporters to turn out. Every time they lose a by-election and the Lib Dems win one that narrative is reinforced. Arguably if the LDs beat the Tories it's even worse for Labour as it contributes to "real opposition" thing Farron is (wisely) pushing.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 3, 2017

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

we definitely can't amend it even a little bit because of reasons.

The Tory defence of this on question time last night was particularly ludicrous.

"We can't guarantee EU citizens can stay until we get assurance from Europe. "
"So you would consider deporting all those people?"
"NOBODY IS SAYING THAT!"

Of course you are you utter twats. If their status depends on the negotiation you're saying you'd deport them if the negotiations go badly. You cant refuse to guarantee their status and act hugely offended when someone suggests you might revoke their status.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

JFairfax posted:

oh yes the last referendum went so well. do it may, pull the triger.

June 16th.

Are you serious? The only thing I can find on Google is ppl being unkind about Cornwall asking for the level of eu money to be maintained. I think that's a fair request tbh

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
the Parliamentary Labour party have spent the last two years making GBS threads all over themselves and rolling around in that poo poo and now they're all covered in poo poo and stink of poo poo and trying to blame it on Corbyn despite them being the ones with the scat fetish.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

JFairfax posted:

they're going to have an independence referendum

Trying to read more about this lead me to discover that in 2007, the Cornish National Liberation Army threatened to blow up Jamie Oliver's restaurant as they thought it represented an English influx into Cornwall.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

JFairfax posted:

the Parliamentary Labour party have spent the last two years making GBS threads all over themselves and rolling around in that poo poo and now they're all covered in poo poo and stink of poo poo and trying to blame it on Corbyn despite them being the ones with the scat fetish.

Would be fascinating to see what liz kendal would have achieved by this time. The food news for liz is that we now have a trailblazing childless woman PM so she will make a great alternative

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Breath Ray posted:

Are you serious? The only thing I can find on Google is ppl being unkind about Cornwall asking for the level of eu money to be maintained. I think that's a fair request tbh

deadly serious, the Cornish Nationalist Party got the referendum passed and date decided at the last session of the devolved Wessex parliament.

e/

another nationalist logo for you lads and ladettes.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The Cornish National Liberation Army also placed broken glass under the sand at Cornish beaches to "deter tourists"

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Aphex Twin is the big financial donor to the Cornish Nationalist Party

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

JFairfax posted:

deadly serious, the Cornish Nationalist Party got the referendum passed and date decided at the last session of the devolved Wessex parliament.

e/

I'm going to Cornwall in August so moar details would be great.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

JFairfax posted:

e/

It went well until the Clipart sword.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Breath Ray posted:

I'm going to Cornwall in August so moar details would be great.

you might want to bring your passport, but honestly if it happens the queues at the land border crossing are probably going to be way too long.

if you're coming from up north I'd just get a boat down the coast and come ashore at Tintadgel or Port Isaac, if you're coming along the south then Fowey or St Austel is your best bet.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
While a hard border with Cornwall is unlikely to affect me much I'd rather there wasn't one.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

JFairfax posted:

e/

That sword not being in the middle is so so so annoying.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The Cornish National Liberation Army also threatened to desecrate any English flag they found in Cornwall and told the media they had financial backing from American donors and military training from the mighty Free Wales Army and they boasted over 30 members.

And btw I'm not actually making any of this up, but I can't speak for how accurate the Wikipedia article for Cornish Nationalism is.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

All these people talking down Cornish independence on twitter on the run up to the vote are ridiculous, with the PDO for Cornish Pasties secured the UK will be reliant on good trade relations with Cornwall

What are they going to do? Eat pork pies? gently caress no

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
'It's cornwall's clotted cream'.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

JFairfax posted:

you might want to bring your passport, but honestly if it happens the queues at the land border crossing are probably going to be way too long.

if you're coming from up north I'd just get a boat down the coast and come ashore at Tintadgel or Port Isaac, if you're coming along the south then Fowey or St Austel is your best bet.

Has there been any polling on which way the corns will go?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Breath Ray posted:

With the influx of Londoners it's not that black and white.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Breath Ray posted:

I don't think there's been any reliable polling as the Emmet clause in the referendum motion hasn't gone into full effect so were still not clear on the final electoral roll

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I'd be happy with some unreliable polling

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Some good news. The Government has dropped plans to allow local authorities to opt out of every child protection law of the last century from Children and Social Work Bill.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
So in non-fake referendum news the reason that we lost Kersall was the independent candidate was standing against expanding the football stadium. And people are mad that it might be expanded.
It's a shame but it makes sense.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was watching some of the election coverage on the BBC site earlier and all I can say is that I never thought I would feel sorry for Jeffrey Donaldson but Martina Anderson found a way.

While I am encouraged by the increased Alliance share of the vote, I am disappointed by how things seem to have gone wrong for the UUP (and the SDLP to an extent). It's just going to be more the same with the DUP and the Shinners except it'll be even uglier than it was before. Real shame about Attwood losing out as well.

I don't think Foster can justify her position after this but I have a feeling she'll be replaced by someone even worse like Poots or Givan. Well, at least McCausland might be losing his seat, which would at least remove another terrible likely prospect for the leadership if it happens.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Nesbitt might be finished as leader. Might be time for another rightward swing

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

kustomkarkommando posted:

Nesbitt might be finished as leader. Might be time for another rightward swing

Who is there, though? Kennedy would've been the best choice but I think he's lost too.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Guavanaut posted:

Some good news. The Government has dropped plans to allow local authorities to opt out of every child protection law of the last century from Children and Social Work Bill.

:thermidor:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Breath Ray posted:

Not when the idiot hell fuckers voted to leave, it isn't.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
Would anybody like me to post a rant I've written about the Prison Service? (I work in the Prison Service and it might go some way to explain why staff have been on strike in the past and why future strikes/voluntarily withdrawing labour are probably inevitable unless Liz Truss/Conservatives get their poo poo together).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

The Donut posted:

Would anybody like me to post a rant I've written about the Prison Service? (I work in the Prison Service and it might go some way to explain why staff have been on strike in the past and why future strikes/voluntarily withdrawing labour are probably inevitable unless Liz Truss/Conservatives get their poo poo together).
Yes!
Also explain what happens if/when the prison staff go on strike - do the army/police get called in to mind the prisoners, or is it something closer to work-to-rule?

• Locked thread