Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

KingSlime posted:

its the nintendo stockholm syndrome that I sometimes can't help instigating in posters around these parts (they make it too easy), truth is these people cant be reasoned with

Or maybe the two sides are

A) People who want to play a new video game console and don't really care

B) People who are tech-oriented and are (upset? giddy?) that a new popular piece of tech has flaws and problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LethalGeek posted:

They said it themselves in the article: Dock & mobile have different rendering setups and ok the dock one is suffering in place when the other isn't. I believe that sure. WHY it's happening is complete guess work and my knowledge of such things makes me go "eeeeeh"

But hey I expect this thing to have some quirks cause it's an overtuned mobile chip I can plug into my TV also. Long as it works I'm not going to care about 22FPS vs 30FPS. Hell soon as I actually get mine I'm SO not going to care cause I"ll be trying to have fun not stressing some dropped frames. Yeah it's annoying but if I don't want dropped frames I have a PC.

Oh where do i put the game cart in my pc to play zelda?

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

ChibiSoma posted:

So aside from Nintendo being incompetent as gently caress, is there a reason why the Switch keeps forgetting the wifi, won't let me sign in with my NID, and has absolutely no indicators to tell you when charging the stupid controllers is complete? Or why the left controller seemed to come with a near-full charge but the right one had absolutely zero? Or why, in god drat 2017 it doesn't come with a god drat AC adapter?

Oh wait that last one's so they can scam more money out of you. Because the 80 dollar price tag on extra controllers wasn't enough, I guess.

Nintendo Turd

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

FireMrshlBill posted:

For those who now have the Switch. How much room/tolerance is there in the joycon grip around the joycons? I pre-ordered these rubber gel guards in blue and red to make my gray switch neon and give more comfort. However, I was wondering if there is any issues with them not fitting into the joycon grip, especially between the back of the joycon and the handgrip part. Is there there at least 1/8" or so gap? Or is there no tolerance. I assume these gel guards are about as thick as those Wiimote and nunchuck condoms people used.

I looked those up and there's a review already that says they won't fit. What I'm wondering is if you can still sit the switch in the dock if those are around the attached joycons.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Oh where do i put the game cart in my pc to play zelda?

The same place I can plug in my desktop in on the train.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Drunk Tomato posted:

B) People who are tech-oriented and are (upset? giddy?) that a new popular piece of tech has flaws and problems.

Actually it's more like you can like something and be aware of/acknowledge its flaws without getting triggered

I enjoy Nintendo consoles but if you're well-versed with other manufacturers and consoles, their incompetence really shines at times

I am still getting a Switch and I still love Nintendo. But uh people who are looking to spend 300 on a new toy should be encouraged to do their research and learn about the flaws of the system, even if it gets some people butthurt because "gosh who cares I am having fun so nenenene." Don't discourage discussion in a discussion forum, shills (not you, but a few regulars come to mind).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wonder how likely it is that Switches will be available in stores within the next month or so. Does Nintendo tend to keep a steady supply coming, or should I expect a Switch to be impossible to get for the next couple of months?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LethalGeek posted:

The same place I can plug in my desktop in on the train.

How do you keep talking out your rear end with a psu plugged into it?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Does the switch really not come with an ac adapter in some regions? Mine had a rather simple usb-c charger w/ attached cord rather than a usb port.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

pliable posted:

Amazon hosed my order by giving me the Grey instead of the Neon one. When I ordered it after the Switch event, I emailed Amazon to confirm that I ordered the Neon (it didn't give me details in my order). I'm 99.99% sure I placed an order for the Neon. They come back and tell me, "nope it's the grey one you ordered the wrong one dummy and we aren't going to talk about this again". Completely disregarded a possible bug in their system, and were rather insulting to me.

Amazon's customer service has been loving garbage lately. I guess that's the result of becoming one of the biggest retailers in the world

I think it depends on the rep, when my DQ8 preorder was a couple days late I complained and they gave me an additional 30% off of the 20% discount. I'm sure a good rep would have given you a free month extension on prime or $5 account credit.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Fedule posted:

So excuse the dumb and possibly repeat question but;

I've linked my Nintendo Account. Is it possible to download my Mii from that or do I have to either recreate it from scratch or transfer it from my WiiU?

Can I directly transfer from WiiU or do I have to use an amiibo?

You could probably recreate it by going into the Mii editor on the WiiU and copy it on the Switch. I was able to move my mii that was on my Gunner Amiibo pretty easily.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I popped into Fred Meyers about an hour after opening. They still had consoles but all accessories were sold out aside from one set of grey Cons.
I guess they only got 4 Pros and they went to the first 4 people.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I have a question for you my dear goon friends

I have a friend who loves Zelda but won't be getting a switch. In the past, I have connected my Gamecube/Wii to my PC and streamed the games so she can watch and enjoy. I am wondering if I can do that with the Switch.

Specifically, I am wondering what kind of connection is available between the Switch and my TV (And thus which connections will work with my video capture device). Is it HDMI exclusive? Does it have RCA connections? Please let me know!

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Republicans posted:

I looked those up and there's a review already that says they won't fit. What I'm wondering is if you can still sit the switch in the dock if those are around the attached joycons.

drat thanks, cancelling then. I will use a pro controller 99% of the time instead of the joycon grip, but I hate a feature being not available, especially for those few times I'll need to charge the pro controller

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Can I lay the dock on its side without issues?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

khy posted:

I have a question for you my dear goon friends

I have a friend who loves Zelda but won't be getting a switch. In the past, I have connected my Gamecube/Wii to my PC and streamed the games so she can watch and enjoy. I am wondering if I can do that with the Switch.

Specifically, I am wondering what kind of connection is available between the Switch and my TV. Is it HDMI exclusive? Does it have RCA connections? Please let me know!

HDMI only. You'll need a capture card like the Elgato HD Capture 60. I think they will have a video share functionality at some point though I am not sure if it is just upload videos or live streaming too

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

KingSlime posted:

Actually it's more like you can like something and be aware of/acknowledge its flaws without getting triggered

I am still getting a Switch and I still love Nintendo. But uh people who are looking to spend 300 on a new toy should be encouraged to do their research and learn about the flaws of the system, even if it gets some people butthurt because "gosh who cares I am having fun so nenenene"

I agree with this.

KingSlime posted:

I enjoy Nintendo consoles but if you're well-versed with other manufacturers and consoles, their incompetence really shines at times

I don't know about this. Tech hardly ever "just works" in my experience, and in my years of spending too much money on lots of dumb things, I don't think I would look back and point to Nintendo as an egregiously inept outlier.

Some of their business decisions? Yeah okay I might stand with you there, but that's not what you're talking about, is it?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I was worried I wouldn't like the way the joycons feel when combined into a controller, but I didn't even need an adjustment period. Good poo poo.

Also, I played the Snipperclips demo with my wife and it was QUITE fun.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
USB Ethernet dongle works in dock mode.
I use Astro a40s with a mix amp and normally plug that into the PS4 digital optical but just plugged the optical into the tv and it takes both.

I like that the game cases are the same size as the switch.

I can't believe how small it is. And how great it feels. Like how the PS4 really feels like what Sony wanted the PS3 to be, switch feels like what Nintendo wanted the Wii U to be. Amazing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

This, but with a much sadder face.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

USB Ethernet dongle works in dock mode.
I use Astro a40s with a mix amp and normally plug that into the PS4 digital optical but just plugged the optical into the tv and it takes both.

I like that the game cases are the same size as the switch.

I can't believe how small it is. And how great it feels. Like how the PS4 really feels like what Sony wanted the PS3 to be, switch feels like what Nintendo wanted the Wii U to be. Amazing.

Which dongle out of curiosity, didja get the newer one or had a Wii U hold o ver?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

KingSlime posted:

I am still getting a Switch and I still love Nintendo. But uh people who are looking to spend 300 on a new toy should be encouraged to do their research and learn about the flaws of the system, even if it gets some people butthurt because "gosh who cares I am having fun so nenenene"

I am at least a little bit confused by the Switch, though I don't have one yet. It feels like Nintendo's ambitions were way, way beyond what they could actually achieve.

Like, looking at the Switch as a home console, it's clearly really underpowered and doesn't have any real features that make up for it. The Wii got away with it because motion control was so new and it was the only console that was doing anything even remotely worthwhile with it, but I think the Switch is going to have a similar issue to the Wii U in the home console department in that nothing about it (as a console) makes up for its lack of power. I mean, put Horizon: Zero Dawn and Breath of the Wild side-by-side. Are you telling me Nintendo really couldn't make a console that could run Zelda at 1080p/30fps, while something like Horizon runs at 1080p/30fps steadily on a base, first-gen PS4? (Yes, I know Horizon's doing a lot to make sure you don't have to deal with really long draw distances, but you still have some great vantage points from time to time and the game doesn't significantly lose frame rate.)

As a handheld, the Switch is considerably more impressive. I mean, the reason it isn't as powerful as a base PS4 is because it is way, way smaller. And if you look at Breath of the Wild as a handheld game, it looks incredible and runs really well. The Switch is easily the most impressive handheld I've ever seen. So okay, maybe the Switch is supposed to be seen as a handheld that you can optionally dock to your TV. Okay, that's cool and unique. But now you're up against its battery life. For someone like me, I don't often play handheld games on buses or anything, so the battery life isn't a huge concern--anywhere I'm likely to play it, I'll be near an outlet anyway. But that doesn't change that it doesn't have a battery life that's really viable for serious handheld use. I mean, how heavy/thick is the Switch? Could it have been a little thicker to have room for a bigger battery?

It's landing in this weird middle ground. I really respect what Nintendo tried to do and I still want to get one just because I know it's going to have good games, but man, I dunno. It seems like they overreached really far here and the compromises aren't necessarily paying off.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 3, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

ChibiSoma posted:

So aside from Nintendo being incompetent as gently caress, is there a reason why the Switch keeps forgetting the wifi, won't let me sign in with my NID, and has absolutely no indicators to tell you when charging the stupid controllers is complete? Or why the left controller seemed to come with a near-full charge but the right one had absolutely zero? Or why, in god drat 2017 it doesn't come with a god drat AC adapter?

Oh wait that last one's so they can scam more money out of you. Because the 80 dollar price tag on extra controllers wasn't enough, I guess.
It's connected to 2 wi-fi access points for me.

I've signed in with my NNID and created a new account and signed in with that.

You can check the joycon charge on the Controllers item in the Home menu.

Electronic devices always ship with different levels of charge??

Also it does come with an AC adapter????

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Drunk Tomato posted:

Some of their business decisions? Yeah okay I might stand with you there, but that's not what you're talking about, is it?

Well this comes down to personal opinion but based on the little bit of info we have, I'd rather they have spent more money on making it fully portable with good battery over finding a middle ground with some compromises.

FPS dropping down to 20 isn't a huge deal breaker or anything, but it's disappointing (is a solid 30 really that much to ask for in 2017? In Nintendo threads, kinda, everywhere else no one bats an eye...) and something worth being aware of. Whether it's a dealbreaker or not is really up to personal taste.

On PC I will never settle for less than 45 fps (ideally 60 all day every day baby) but on a portable, yeah 30 is fine.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ChibiSoma posted:

You mean like, the power cable/box? That's in the box, under the HDMI cable. I'd lol but I missed it at first glance, too (I didn't touch the HDMI cable because I'm not using it.)

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

pliable posted:

Amazon hosed my order by giving me the Grey instead of the Neon one. When I ordered it after the Switch event, I emailed Amazon to confirm that I ordered the Neon (it didn't give me details in my order). I'm 99.99% sure I placed an order for the Neon. They come back and tell me, "nope it's the grey one you ordered the wrong one dummy and we aren't going to talk about this again". Completely disregarded a possible bug in their system, and were rather insulting to me.

Amazon's customer service has been loving garbage lately. I guess that's the result of becoming one of the biggest retailers in the world

You sent them a message telling them that you didn't know what you ordered and that you wanted them to change your order if you got it wrong. Couldn't you have just checked your placed orders screen? Or your email? I'd be pretty annoyed working somewhere like that.

If they sent you the wrong one on purpose my hat's off to them.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The only time I am going to play docked is when I have people over for Snipperclips and Chicken Horse.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

I guess I have a lot of different opinions on the switch than others. I really haven't noticed any frame drops. I love the joycons (one in each hand style. Doggie grip and on console are awful). I actually regret picking up a pro controller because I like the independent hands for each controller thing. Not even a wire to tether them together. My one issue with the switch is that the fan is way to drat loud.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Harrow posted:

As a handheld, the Switch is considerably more impressive. If you look at Breath of the Wild as a handheld game, it looks incredible and runs really well. So maybe the Switch is supposed to be seen as a handheld that you can optionally dock to your TV. Okay, that's cool and unique. But now you're up against its battery life. For someone like me, I don't often play handheld games on buses or anything, so the battery life isn't a huge concern--anywhere I'm likely to play it, I'll be near an outlet anyway. But that doesn't change that it doesn't have a battery life that's really viable for serious handheld use. I mean, how heavy/thick is the Switch? Could it have been a little thicker to have room for a bigger battery?

Two things: It's a portable home console, so you can easily dismantle and tote it to your friend's. Since the multiplayer angle is so strong, especially since the indie games release trailer, just being able to get it and its light accessories around is a sharp contrast to the bulky Wii U. Second, I think a lot of people will legitimately get use 'around the house' with it. For example, I'll probably be playing it in my computer room mostly, where there's no TV

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Two things I wasn't expecting at all: portable mode is just good as gently caress, and hidden costs is for real. Now I need an AC adapter for my room, and a hard shell case so my cat doesn't walk all over it on my nightstand. There goes like $50 on nothing. At least I can safely bring it with me with the two, though.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Harrow posted:

It's landing in this weird middle ground. I really respect what Nintendo tried to do and I still want to get one just because I know it's going to have good games, but man, I dunno. It seems like they overreached really far here and the compromises aren't necessarily paying off.

I agree with this. As a fan of portables, the Switch sounds incredible! But as a console gamer? Seems like a huge wet fart tbh.

Fortunately I love portables so the Switch is still extremely appealing to me, given that I already know what compromises tend to take place when it comes to handheld devices.

Portables are great, guys. Less back pain, more comfort, AND I can have TV running on my main screen. It's a no brainer for busy boring adults like me who are dead inside

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Hey everyone, I was surprised one didn't already exist so I went ahead and made a Nintengoons Discord. Come hang out and exchange friend codes :qq:

https://discord.gg/nnH4wXF

Edit: Don't forget to run !authme SA-Username-Here if you haven't authed on a Goon Discord Network-affiliated server before!

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 3, 2017

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Drunk Tomato posted:

Pretty much, and they're both kinda crazy. Early adopters of new wacky tech are always nuts as hell but the hater platoon overestimates how much a normal rear end person who wants to play Zelda cares. That said I hope this thing is good and eventually makes itself worth buying via VC and games like Mario Kart but so far my heart says wait for the DSi update or at least a price drop. Doubling down on waggle tech controllers and how small they are makes me :chloe:.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

FireMrshlBill posted:

I think it depends on the rep, when my DQ8 preorder was a couple days late I complained and they gave me an additional 30% off of the 20% discount. I'm sure a good rep would have given you a free month extension on prime or $5 account credit.

The most I was able to get is a "free upgrade" back to the prime 2 day shipping, so that I can get it next Tuesday instead of next Friday.

It's not even the wait that bothers me, it's the fact I burned a vacation day to make sure I was home to receive it. I've had problems with people stealing packages from my doorstep lately, and amazon never requires a signature for their shipments.

First world problems, eh?

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm shocked at the amount of people that have the time to play Zelda on handheld mode for over 2 hours while in bed in a normal basis. Then again, I'm not normal in the amount of hours I am putting in at school /work.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Jebediah posted:

I'm shocked at the amount of people that have the time to play Zelda on handheld mode for over 2 hours while in bed in a normal basis. Then again, I'm not normal in the amount of hours I am putting in at school /work.

I felt this way about the Wii U gamepad, the battery life was about appropriate to tell me that I should be doing something else by now. Come back when it's charged.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Jebediah posted:

The battery life issue should only become an issue when Nintendo is bullied into providing mixed media usage and streaming. It's a shame too.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Extremely disappointed by the lack of 12Switch stories itt :(

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Casually walked into a Toys R Us to buy one without a preorder about 10 minutes ago. They said they were only selling the grey version today, and were selling the colored ones on Sunday. Definitely seems like it won't be hard to get one in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I wouldn't mind a way to stream plex stuff tbh. Hell, if it could play music at the same time that'd be awesome too

• Locked thread