Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

jonathan posted:

I use one to power twin 18's and twin high excursion 12's. 2ohm load per channel.

I've run my fairly sensitive klipsch rf3's off it and didn't notice any different in clarity or issues with decay or distortion over my onkyo 818 receiver which is a workhorse receiver.

Basically my point is, BUDGET PRO AUDIO EVERYTHING TILL THE CAT PUKES AND YOU BREAK THE HOUSE PLUMBING. (true story would do again for the insurance claim).
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > Home audio: BUDGET PRO AUDIO EVERYTHING TILL THE CAT PUKES AND YOU BREAK THE HOUSE PLUMBING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Olothreutes posted:

I think the only place in here I've seen the iNuke mentioned was in conjunction with a 15" sub. I don't think the purpose is to power bookshelf speakers.

That's me. Dual 15" subs. Face melting bass. But I can't touch those 18" subs Jonathan has.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

My PA system runs 12" drivers in folded horn enclosures. Anyone using anything above 18" in a home audio environment is compensating for something. :v:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
This is me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpgOUgqCz-w

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Hah. So whats the point in running the driver backwards? Is it a square volume thing for the enclosure?

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 2, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah it's easier to get a specific volume if there's no motor and such clogging up the interior of your enclosure.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Somebody stop me.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You know you want to!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Olympic Mathlete posted:

My PA system runs 12" drivers in folded horn enclosures. Anyone using anything above 18" in a home audio environment is compensating for something. :v:

12's in a folded or tapped horn is more capable than my large-low-tuned (llt) 18's

Whoever Wins, The Cat loses <tm>

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Somebody stop me.

thats a good start but now is no time to quit

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Somebody stop me.

You need some C30/40/75s and I need some Pentas :love:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Panty Saluter posted:

thats a good start but now is no time to quit

I didn't say quit. I said stop.
Not pictured; a dozen-ish turntables (the 2 technics sl-1200 are the only working ones), 2 Rotel RX-1052 and RCC1055, a pair of Technics SB-X10, a pair of DBX soundfield V, and a a pair of Vandersteen 2ci with the lead bases.
The reason I need to stop is that I might be moving soon. I couldn't resist picking up that Acurus DIA-100 and those Beovox MC120.2 though. I'm already giving away the Vandersteen 2ci, SB-x10, and some other junk.
I'm about to post those DBX up on craigslist for free.

I'll be back for advice on new towers after I get a house. If I'm lucky I'll get to put in a full-on theater.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

jonathan posted:

12's in a folded or tapped horn is more capable than my large-low-tuned (llt) 18's

Whoever Wins, The Cat loses <tm>

My cats don't care about my stereo. Am I doing it wrong?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Dogen posted:

My cats don't care about my stereo. Am I doing it wrong?

If you can't hit the brown note, then yes apparently.

ArseMan
Jun 7, 2003

Jeg kan ikke snakke norsk, men jeg fortsatt elsker mitt fedreland :norway:

Quick question: I have an older TV (Sony kdl-40v2500, fwiw) that has HDMI but doesn't support ARC, so I'm trying to use a TOSLINK cable to send audio to my new Denon receiver (AVR-S720W). The instructions seem pretty clear: there's only one optical out on the TV, and I plug it in to the "TV Audio" port in my receiver. I checked the cable - there's definitely a "red light" so I know I plugged it in. But no sound comes out of my receiver in "TV Audio" mode when I am tuned in to digital antenna broadcasts. :( Am I missing something? Do digital broadcasts support digital audio at all?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Make sure TV Audio on your receiver is set to optical in?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Is the input assignment screen set correctly? Looks like it should be TV Audio = Optical1 by default, which seems right. In the 'input mode' selection, you can force it to 'Digital' instead of auto, but I don't think you should need to. Does the [DIG] indicator show up on the screen? Could the TV's output be turned down or muted?

ArseMan
Jun 7, 2003

Jeg kan ikke snakke norsk, men jeg fortsatt elsker mitt fedreland :norway:

taqueso posted:

Is the input assignment screen set correctly? Looks like it should be TV Audio = Optical1 by default, which seems right. In the 'input mode' selection, you can force it to 'Digital' instead of auto, but I don't think you should need to. Does the [DIG] indicator show up on the screen? Could the TV's output be turned down or muted?

This was it - the TV audio source was set to "analog" for some reason. Set it to digital, and voila. Thank you <3

(related: the manual for the receiver sucks :mad:)

P-Value Hack
Apr 4, 2016
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread so please point me in the right direction if not. I've read the OP, so nothing mentioned.

I want a fairly cheap setup for a small speaker in my bathroom to listen to music in the shower. It won't be in the bathtub itself, but it'll be inside the bathroom so steam damage is the concern.

Cheap is the real point here but something that is fair for its price point (not all cheap things are made equally cheap in a sense).

To give some context, this is replacing my smartphone that's playing out of its speaker into a cup, so really my standards aren't high here.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I use a Bluetooth speaker, so you can go as cheap as you want. I've also seen Bluetooth bathroom fans that you can send your music too.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
There's 25 dollar waterproof bluetooth speakers on amazon with suction cups for right in the shower sound

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

P-Value Hack posted:

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread so please point me in the right direction if not. I've read the OP, so nothing mentioned.

I want a fairly cheap setup for a small speaker in my bathroom to listen to music in the shower. It won't be in the bathtub itself, but it'll be inside the bathroom so steam damage is the concern.

Cheap is the real point here but something that is fair for its price point (not all cheap things are made equally cheap in a sense).

To give some context, this is replacing my smartphone that's playing out of its speaker into a cup, so really my standards aren't high here.

Just bought a ue roll 2. Was about $100 Canadian. Great sound quality, loud as gently caress, waterproof

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I bought a UE Boom 2, it's good as well. I wouldn't call the sound quality 'great' but for the mono you get out of a BT speaker it's fine. I place it right in the shower. :)

The Bose Soundlink Mini has better sound quality but it's not waterproof.

No BT speaker will get you good bass.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

I've got a JBL Flip 3. It sounds pretty good for its size, distorts a little at higher volumes. I've had it in the bathroom while I shower with no issues, and it's supposed to be "splash proof". I think I got it on sale from Amazon for $75 (normally $100?).

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I've dropped my Flip 3 into the ocean while it was on and playing music and it was fine

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I keep hearing about "jitter" over optical TOSLINK. Is that a real thing or should I take this to the ridicule audiophiles thread?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

While it is true that there is slightly more jitter on a TOSLINK connection, when compared to other common digital connection types, but it's still so low that it doesn't matter.

E: It's in the picosecond range, and from the tests I've seen, somewhere around 20-250 nanoseconds is where it might start to become a signal quality issue.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Mar 10, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I keep hearing about "jitter"

Then you're reading/talking to terrible people.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Then you're reading/talking to terrible people.

Is this where I suggest buying an original playstation as a CD player?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Not retarded enough. DC powered stepper motor/laser pen combo on an electric fan assembly.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
One of our installers tossed a couple more amps (SpeakerCraft BB1235 and BB1265) in the back of my truck this AM. :dance:

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 10, 2017

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KozmoNaut posted:

While it is true that there is slightly more jitter on a TOSLINK connection, when compared to other common digital connection types, but it's still so low that it doesn't matter.

E: It's in the picosecond range, and from the tests I've seen, somewhere around 20-250 nanoseconds is where it might start to become a signal quality issue.

...and since the interval for a given sampling rate is always known, the DAC can safely assume that the timing for each sample is the same anyway.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Already posted in the audiofool thread, but after spending some time listening, I think it really belongs here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRexXMXlw-j/
I paid <$450 after tax and shipping from amazon for this little Teac AX-501.

Honestly, I'm surprised how well this little Class D amp performs. Considering the price, it is a very sensible buy in my opinion. I can't wait for my UD-501 to come in so I can hook it up to the balanced inputs.
If anyone is looking for a small footprint amp for their desktop or needs something smaller because lack of room space, this amp is certainly a viable option to be considered.
Besides, servo controlled volume knobs are rad as hell.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Cross-posting from the "post your av set-up thread", since apparently I was in the wrong place :hurr:

Moved into a new house last year, finally getting around to working on my home theater/audio setup.

The room with our TV is 18'x19' and in the top 4 corners are pre-mounted speakers with speaker wire run in the walls to where the TV sits.

The speakers are from the Samsung HT-Z410 set as best I can tell from google, and are PS-FZ410 (with the slight variations for Left, Right, etc names). They have an impedance of 3 ohms. Correct manual, I think, showing speaker specs

I want to keep the speakers to minimize my cost at this time. (see below)

I also have a subwoofer and center speaker from an older setup of mine from cheapo walmart land, a RCA RT2870 impedance of 8 ohms. This setup

I would like to at least replace the center speaker with one better matched to the other speakers. And would be up for replacing the subwoofer also.

What receiver should I get? Would Denon AVR-S510BT be good for me? I run a PS3 slim, Chromecast, and likely also a HDMI in from a comcast X1 box.

What center speaker and (possibly) subwoofer should I also get?

I would like to keep receiver + new speaker cost at sub $500 but I'm open to spending a bit more if required. Please educate me.
(see below)

With this being the response I've gotten so far:

jonathan posted:

The question and answers thread is located here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3384469

You will likely get more advice there. With that said, 3 ohm rated speakers will be very hard to drive for most mid-grade or lower receivers/amps. For home audio, 8ohm is usually the common one, 6 and 4 exist also but 4 is usually for limited production stuff and intended to be used with very high end receivers, or people with separate amps. 3ohm is kinda only used in home theater in a box setups. You won't be able to push them very loud as the current draw will be huge and the receiver will reach it's limits long before the speakers, ie "amp clipping".

If the 3 ohm speakers are going to pigeonhole me into a lovely setup I'd rather spend the extra to do a setup correctly. Please let me know what ya'll think, I would still want to connect the speakers to the ceiling corner mounts via speaker wire so smaller sized speakers would be preferred.

So potentially in the market for a receiver and full 5.1 setup. Budget ceiling of $1000, if I can be a bit closer to $750 that'd be great.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Receiver (300)

If you care more about having 4K on all your inputs:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrs720w/denon-avr-s720w-7.2-ch-x-75-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

If you care more about having a higher-end version of Audyssey (auto room correction):
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx1100w/denon-avr-x1100w-7.2-ch-x-80-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

Front L&R (280)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...rd_i=B01BDIG0E2

Front Center (180)
https://www.amazon.com/Debut-Center...JBE0X5BEPV1AYDE

Rear L&R (230)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...rd_i=B014GSEQWE

-OR-

Sub (200)
https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-12-Inch-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B000092TT0/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1489460763&sr=1-1&keywords=PSW505

That puts you just under $1000, but you have to choose between the sub and the rear speakers. If you want my advice, get the sub and replace the fronts down the line (you can re-purpose the fronts as rears).

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Highly considering saying gently caress it and buying it all (I don't own a single 4K input currently - so will probably get the better Audyssey receiver). Bank account will support it and I'll just push back some other non-essential purchases I had on my mind.

edit: said gently caress it :homebrew:

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 14, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

tangy yet delightful posted:

Highly considering saying gently caress it and buying it all (I don't own a single 4K input currently - so will probably get the better Audyssey receiver). Bank account will support it and I'll just push back some other non-essential purchases I had on my mind.

Congrats, that's my setup almost exactly (I have the 9xx receiver) and it's great even without a sub (3.0).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

I have a hard time imagining you'll be disappointed.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
/edit: Crap, just found the PC Speaker thread. Apologies, feel free to delete this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Everything is supposed to arrive this week. So hopefully I will return with a review early next week (as per the OP).