Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Hot Diggity! posted:

A dude I went to college with got fired from the school newspaper for a similar take (except the entire piece was "black people are more athletic because of slavery...did it open with a Chris Rock bit? YOU BET).

:iceburn:

Its actually not that far off, you just have to be careful how you talk about it. Slaves were treated like livestock, they were "bred" to make bigger, stronger offspring. The problems with that thinking though are numerous. Not all black people are descended from slaves. Its also difficult to demonstrate that on a relatively short time scale (say 200 to 300 hundred years) that the type of selection we are talking about would predominate the population in way such that it would continue to predominate without selective breeding. This goes to yet another problem with that thinking, which is that slave descendants pick their mates based on the same principles that the slave masters did. Its one of those concepts that superficially has some modicum of sense, but under the tiniest bit of scrutiny falls apart real fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/837678040968736768

swickles posted:

Its actually not that far off, you just have to be careful how you talk about it. Slaves were treated like livestock, they were "bred" to make bigger, stronger offspring. The problems with that thinking though are numerous. Not all black people are descended from slaves. Its also difficult to demonstrate that on a relatively short time scale (say 200 to 300 hundred years) that the type of selection we are talking about would predominate the population in way such that it would continue to predominate without selective breeding. This goes to yet another problem with that thinking, which is that slave descendants pick their mates based on the same principles that the slave masters did. Its one of those concepts that superficially has some modicum of sense, but under the tiniest bit of scrutiny falls apart real fast.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Blunt Instrument
Apr 4, 2008

How can you shoot
(hot dogs at) women or children?

Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Hahaha! Ain't ball hell?!

swickles posted:

:chanpop:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
i hope the Bengals get some well bred offensive linemen

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

swickles posted:

:wow:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

If you guys are reading that as anything other than a debunking of the original claims, then you need to work on your reading comprehension skills.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I don't think there is much actual evidence that slaveowners in the antebellum South - who were largely Southern Baptists with no grasp of genetics or even evolutionary theory - were pursuing an consistent program of selective breeding across multiple generations of slaves. It just seems like a stretch to think that people whose entire argument for slavery was "God said so because look at Bible verse mumble mumble" were also running this big eugenics enterprise across multiple generations.

Especially since they were breaking up families and shuffling the people between owners willy-nilly to pay off their gambling debts or whatever.

Also, kind of important, they were raping the women on an unknown but probably massive scale. Which of course throws a huge monkey wrench into the whole selective breeding idea by throwing random human garbage white people genes into the mix at random.

vvv Yup.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 3, 2017

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

They just read "not that far off" which seems like a bad way to start a paragraph the directly contradicts that sentence.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

sean10mm posted:

I don't think there is much actual evidence that slaveowners in the antebellum South - who were largely Southern Baptists with no grasp of genetics or even evolutionary theory - were pursuing an consistent program of selective breeding across multiple generations of slaves.

I agree that there's no actual evidence of a consistent program of selective breeding for Southern slavers. Your argument about why is specious, though.

Farmers, however, were performing selective breeding long, long before Mendel. It's not necessary to know even the slightest bit about genetics or evolutionary theory to decide to only take the offspring from the plants/livestock that have desirable traits.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

I agree that there's no actual evidence of a consistent program of selective breeding for Southern slavers. Your argument about why is specious, though.

Farmers, however, were performing selective breeding long, long before Mendel. It's not necessary to know even the slightest bit about genetics or evolutionary theory to decide to only take the offspring from the plants/livestock that have desirable traits.

Well thank God you cleared that up.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

No Butt Stuff posted:

They just read "not that far off" which seems like a bad way to start a paragraph the directly contradicts that sentence.

Yeah, I guess I was just trying to emphasize the superficiality of that statement. Its basically an example of how a little knowledge is sometimes more dangerous than no knowledge at all. I am used to teaching through the Socratic method, asking leading questions which let the students come the conclusion on their own, even though its very guided. Sometimes that involves going down the "wrong" path and then resulting in accepting the antithesis. I won't edit the post, but I think I started down one line of thinking and switched to another, resulting in a weird preface. My main point though, to be clear, was that the idea that black people are better athletes because of slavery is one that if you think about for only a second makes sense, but if you think about it more than that, absolutely does not for a lot of reasons. Its a superficial truth, which reminds me of a quotation that is also superficially related:
"If you don't know anything about the Civil War, it was about slavery. If you know a little about the Civil War, it was about states rights, if you know a lot about the Civil War it was about slavery."

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

My thinkpiece on why Bill Romanowski's ancestors fought Mandingo fights in blackface:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yeah, I doubt the thinking went beyond "you are big and she is big too!". It undoubtedly did happen, and records were written in a similar way to livestock, that much is fact. They may not have been efficient or correct in their selection, but it still happened. My main point is that even though this happened, it could not have happened on a large enough scale to influence the genomics of slave descendants today.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

swickles posted:

Yeah, I doubt the thinking went beyond "you are big and she is big too!". It undoubtedly did happen, and records were written in a similar way to livestock, that much is fact. They may not have been efficient or correct in their selection, but it still happened. My main point is that even though this happened, it could not have happened on a large enough scale to influence the genomics of slave descendants today.

The best way to make these arguments is saying "assuming, for the sake of argument, x" because what you're trying to say is it does not matter if "it still happened". What you're saying is it doesn't matter if it happened, so you don't get bogged down arguing the very thing you're saying doesn't matter. It is dumb to pick a fight on a point you're saying doesn't matter.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Came across these looking for news on Tyrod because I saw a report earlier that the Bills were leaning towards cutting him

https://twitter.com/LateRoundQB/status/837686191512293377
https://twitter.com/GrahamBarfield/status/837693108469006339

The Jets should be all over him, man

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The "make two big people sex" idea doesn't explain how black people dominate in sports everywhere from 5'5" to 7'+ and like 140-400 lbs or something. There is no common thread there unless you're appealing to some kind of magical sci-fi conspiracy poo poo where they're breeding in some extra tendons over 200 years or some poo poo.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Alex Marvez, Sirius XM Host, claims Cooks will be an Eagle. For their second round pick.

Dunno how respectable he is. Also, I can't get twitter to post on here with the formatting. I post the URL and it just posts a URL.

https://twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/837666412491653121?s=09
https://mobile.twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/837667677342732289

Nm it worked

89 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 3, 2017

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

so I haven't been playing attention, why are the Saints trading him anyway?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Kalli posted:

so I haven't been playing attention, why are the Saints trading him anyway?

Apparently Cooks asked for it, he wants out of the offense. (I mean, Brees probably only has 2 years left and Cooks is only 23 years old). Also, the general idea is that the Saints are rich in WRs (Thomas, Snead) but need defense bad.

I could see Barwin and Kendricks getting thrown into this trade easily. They are great 3-4 LBs playing in the Eagles 4-3. Barwin playing as a DE.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

schweens posted:

Came across these looking for news on Tyrod because I saw a report earlier that the Bills were leaning towards cutting him

https://twitter.com/LateRoundQB/status/837686191512293377
https://twitter.com/GrahamBarfield/status/837693108469006339

The Jets should be all over him, man

I don't really agree. He's fine but he isn't going to be a franchise cornerstone for the next 5 years. I'd rather the Jets tear it all down and not give him multiple years and a big guarantee.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

89 posted:

Apparently Cooks asked for it, he wants out of the offense. (I mean, Brees probably only has 2 years left and Cooks is only 23 years old). Also, the general idea is that the Saints are rich in WRs (Thomas, Snead) but need defense bad.

I could see Barwin and Kendricks getting thrown into this trade easily. They are great 3-4 LBs playing in the Eagles 4-3. Barwin playing as a DE.

Yeah, he's so young which is why I was wondering. But if you have a wealth at the position, I can see moving him for at least a 2nd to try and do something with that defense.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

If we get Cooks for a second consider me his personal Hype man and my spiritual mancrush successor to Darren Sproles, my favorite player in the NFL since he was a charger.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Imagine if Philip Rivers ever had a #1 WR.

Come to LA, Marshall

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

It's the new KKK legal defense!

"Sir, why did you lynch that man? Couldn't help myself, it was ancestral muscle memory."

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Tyrod Taylor is a franchise QB.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

89 posted:

Alex Marvez, Sirius XM Host, claims Cooks will be an Eagle. For their second round pick.

Dunno how respectable he is. Also, I can't get twitter to post on here with the formatting. I post the URL and it just posts a URL.

https://twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/837666412491653121?s=09
https://mobile.twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/837667677342732289

Nm it worked

Everything I've seen says Stills is currently stuck between Miami hometown Discount or getting paid by Tennessee.

Cook isn't as good as Brees makes him look but for a 2nd that's a good trade.

Personally I'd be thrilled with it over Stills @ 12m

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fsif posted:

Tyrod Taylor is a franchise QB.

How do you want to define that?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

How do you want to define that?

That with an average team around him, he's good enough to get you in the playoff mix, and that with a good team around him, he's good enough to win a Super Bowl.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

fsif posted:

That with an average team around him, he's good enough to get you in the playoff mix, and that with a good team around him, he's good enough to win a Super Bowl.

I think that is like one notch above what he is.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

mcmagic posted:

he's joe flacco with worse coaching and supporting cast and before the Flacco hot streak. tyrod taylor is elite

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

mcmagic posted:

This implies the Rex Ryan Bills were carrying him to .500

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

a patagonian cavy posted:

he's joe flacco with worse coaching and supporting cast and before the Flacco hot streak. tyrod taylor is elite

I think I'd rather have Flacco but he's not much worse. I can agree with that.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Haven't heard anything about the Titans being interested in Stills.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Has it been mentioned that Josh Gordon filed for reinstatement on March 1st? If it's approved, I'm guessing the Browns just release him, but I wonder how many teams would take a shot at him on a "prove it" deal.

quote:

"Josh is living with me and is in the best place mentally that he has been in dating back years before entering the NFL," Michael Johnson said. "He has taken the proper steps to treat his issues and has followed a very strict protocol that the league and our team here has laid out for him.

:siren:"He's also in the best shape of his life:siren: and feels even better than he did when he had his breakout year in 2013. This will be a special year for Josh and we are all very proud of the way he has taken the necessary steps to turn his life around."

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 3, 2017

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

Has it been mentioned that Josh Gordon filed for reinstatement on March 1st? If it's approved, I'm guessing the Browns just release him, but I wonder how many teams would take a shot at him on a "prove it" deal.

The Bucs. But I think the Bucs should sign every available WR.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

The Bucs. But I think the Bucs should sign every available WR.

Same page

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Goff to Gordon all the way to the Superbowl

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DariusLikewise posted:

Goff to Gordon all the way to the Superbowl
I thought Gordon liked smoking weed, not laying in the dirt 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage :confused:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Joey Freshwater posted:

Patriots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Brandon Marshall is so used to having to circus catch Fitzpatrick's poo poo throws so much that he's gonna make a normal QB look like a God.

• Locked thread