Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Aaaaaaah I am so ready for this zelda

Too bad I'm still patching but SOON

Just picked up my WiiU copy. How big is the patch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well Amazon just updated my copy from shipping today arriving today to shipped arriving Monday. loving Amazon.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buy it local and return the amazon copy? :iiam:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Gumball Gumption posted:

My favorite thing in the game so far is when I bypassed a small puzzle by climbing over a wall. Like, instead of trying to open the door I just climbed a wall and got into the area I needed. It's so weirdly refreshing .

I had a dumb anti-moment of that lol. There was a puzzle early on that I failed, earning me a bad ending with an NPC. Much, much later on a follow-up to that puzzle was presented to me and I realized I could bypass it with good ol' arsoning. Made me wish I had thought of that x hours ago.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Anyone know where I can find more peppers?

Edit: they seem to grow near the temple of time.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 3, 2017

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

My favorite thing in the game so far is when I bypassed a small puzzle by climbing over a wall. Like, instead of trying to open the door I just climbed a wall and got into the area I needed. It's so weirdly refreshing .

Yeah, there have been a few puzzles where I come up with some way too complicated solution (which often ends up working!) and then realize the developers intended for me to do something else. Just part of the genius of the game, really.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Am I right in thinking botw is much more open in concept and execution than previous zeldas? I often got frustrated with the "looks like an open world but it's not actually" nature of the later zeldas.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Am I right in thinking botw is much more open in concept and execution than previous zeldas? I often got frustrated with the "looks like an open world but it's not actually" nature of the later zeldas.

The world is your oyster, go wherever you want whenever you want, the only thing that stops you is Prep Time. If you got enough red hot chili peppers you could start your journey by recreating The NeverEnding Journey over at the far east of the world.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So I beelined right for the 4 shrines but I think I missed some tutorials by doing so I never got the warm clothes or learned how to cook?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

socialsecurity posted:

So I beelined right for the 4 shrines but I think I missed some tutorials by doing so I never got the warm clothes or learned how to cook?

Sounds like me when I moved into my new apartment :v:

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

I kind of just stumbled upon those tutorials wandering around trying to find a good path to two of the shrines. It's not like the game directs you to them. You just walk around and see the Old Man doing a thing and then learn about it by watching.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is there an actual cooking system? I just throw stuff in the fire.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
If I have a Link Archer Amiibo and my friend has the Link Rider Amiibo, can we both scan both of them on our own Switches or are they like a one time use kinda thing?

Cause I know the Amiibos can store information like how the Smash Amiibos keep a profile, so I'm wondering if it remembers that it was scanned once before?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Sakurazuka posted:

Is there an actual cooking system? I just throw stuff in the fire.

Yeah there's recipes to make special food, like spicy beef and poo poo that gives a ton of temp hearts and whatnot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Way, way, way more open. Basically as soon as you leave the starter plateau (really early on) there's nothing standing in your way to go wherever you want right off the bat.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh where do you get the warm clothes? I've just been cooking a bunch of peppers, which to answer the question from earlier I found at the old man's house and at a Bokoblin camp just north of the bridge at the west of the River of the Dead.

Also, when you clear out a camp does it stay that way forever, or will forces eventually move back in?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Three hours in...

This game is special. I don't want to spoil anything so far, but....man, this is a hell of a game.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Escobarbarian posted:

Oh where do you get the warm clothes? I've just been cooking a bunch of peppers, which to answer the question from earlier I found at the old man's house and at a Bokoblin camp just north of the bridge at the west of the River of the Dead.

Also, when you clear out a camp does it stay that way forever, or will forces eventually move back in?

Make the recipe from the book, just missing one ingredient but its pretty obvious what one is missing.

Move back in

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Escobarbarian posted:

Every few nights a "blood moon" rises and everything respawns

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
OH MAN THIS GAME loving RULES

I love how it just lets you play. There's so much to do and you can do any of it and it doesn't baby you.

Popete posted:

Just picked up my WiiU copy. How big is the patch?

Like 2.8GB, its pretty significant but I downloaded it in like 13 minutes, not too bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kirios posted:

Three hours in...

This game is special. I don't want to spoil anything so far, but....man, this is a hell of a game.

Yeah for real. I don't want to spoil anything either, but I was watching a French streamer last night, and there's a dungeon in this game unlike anything Nintendo has ever done. Unlike anything anybody has ever done, I think.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I just found out I can whistle!

I suppose it's for summoning animal buddies when I get them, but it's so silly and fun that you can do it anyway.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
How much space is needed on a WiiU (physical copy, not digital) for the game?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Question for the Wii U folks. I'm wondering about digital v disc versions and how noisy the console is with the disc. Some games make a ton of noise when the disc reads and make me go mad. Id rather give my money to the local mom and pop game store but if the disc makes a bunch of read noises I'm getting it digitally. Does the disc make a bunch of noise while playing? Thanks!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
this may be my goat

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Wildtortilla posted:

Question for the Wii U folks. I'm wondering about digital v disc versions and how noisy the console is with the disc. Some games make a ton of noise when the disc reads and make me go mad. Id rather give my money to the local mom and pop game store but if the disc makes a bunch of read noises I'm getting it digitally. Does the disc make a bunch of noise while playing? Thanks!
I've only heard it really rev up once so far, in 3-4 hours of play.

Nicaden
Feb 17, 2012
Is it worth saving the gemstones? I've been selling them but I can't help but wonder if there's a side quest or something that requires a certain amount later on in the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ComposerGuy posted:

How much space is needed on a WiiU (physical copy, not digital) for the game?

The game and the day-1 patch on a WiiU with physical disc takes up 2375MB on my WiiU drive right now.

It seemed like it was possible to play without installing the patch, which would then presumably require only a few MB for the save file, but I didn't actually test it, it might complain and force you to patch I don't know.

If you go digital you'll need another 9GB for the disc data.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Runcible Cat posted:

I've only heard it really rev up once so far, in 3-4 hours of play.

Oh baby oh baby.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

I noticed it spin up pretty loud once when I was interacting with a shrine, but almost seemed like... appropriate?! Like... machinery was happening at the same time.

I haven't really noticed the spin noise otherwise while playing. Maybe I'm too distracted.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Any particular dramatic reason why the ME sword would be worth it? Other than just being part of the game?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Nicaden posted:

Is it worth saving the gemstones? I've been selling them but I can't help but wonder if there's a side quest or something that requires a certain amount later on in the game.

I've found use for One, and it's cool but not particularly crucial or anything. Maybe in the lategame they'll be more useful but I think just selling them for mad cash is your best use for now.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Waltzing Along posted:

Any particular dramatic reason why the ME sword would be worth it? Other than just being part of the game?

It's really fuckin' cool.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What can you buy with cash?

Basically I just want to hear more about this game please, feel free to tell me anything.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

RCarr posted:

What can you buy with cash?

Basically I just want to hear more about this game please, feel free to tell me anything.

Arrows of all kinds in different shops, and they're pricey for what you can earn early on. Clothes are also an option in some locations. Food is pretty great to make more complex dishes, like pies, than what you can scavenge with deer meat and mushrooms. Rest at beds which give you a temporary heart.

I think you can buy a dutch house, too, but I haven't found who to inquire about that.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 3, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
are any of the shines in the game plot essential?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
1 more hour and I'm leaving work, cannot contain myself...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i hope you are all enjoying the game :) i will get to in about 5 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Escobarbarian posted:

Oh where do you get the warm clothes?

If you run up to the highest spot in the mountains the old man will be up there and he'll give you some. Very handy.