Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

runupon cracker posted:

how many policies can we care about before it becomes "too many policies" and it completely nullifies our argument?

Obviously you can only oppose one thing at a time. Otherwise you'll lose 'political capital'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Lt. Tanaka posted:

Do you know what that is code for when you go for "donuts and coffee" with someone, right?
No, I am horrifically vanilla. Please explain using Schumer and Putin as characters.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Panzeh posted:

Obviously you can only oppose one thing at a time. Otherwise you'll lose 'political capital'.

What are you opposing exactly?

Sessions lying? Sessions talking to ambassador? Russia? Trump's cabinet picks? Trump's presidency?

Now imagine how muddled all this is to the average voter.

Democrats want to replicate Benghazi, but Benghazi was an actual thing that resulted in dead Americans. Russiagate is a media frenzy.

CBT Time
Mar 4, 2005

NotWearingPants posted:

Thank you friends for your advice on what the democrats should be doing instead of hyping the "Compromised by Russia" thing.

It is very kind of you. You are good people.

"yes comrade, I know it is unconventional but psyops campaigns at the tail end of a 2/5 thread on a dead gay forum are the secret to destroying the Democrats!"

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
Still not understanding how or why Russia is the bad guy again, can someone explain it to me?
Are they pushing for a dangerous ideology to invade American hearts and minds like marxism?
Are they massing nuclear weapons and pointing it at America in an overt display of communist power?
Are they sending cosmonauts into space in communist displays of one-upmanship?

It seems like the worst possible thing Russia is currently doing is rooting for the administration that won't start a loving nuclear war with them, but apparently that is a terrible horrible no-good thing because the guy in charge of that administration said bad words and uses too much self tanner.

Oh, and that thing about air-striking the jihadist insurgents in Syria that America was funding to try and depose Assad.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Lunixnerd posted:

Still not understanding how or why Russia is the bad guy again, can someone explain it to me?
Are they pushing for a dangerous ideology to invade American hearts and minds like marxism?
Are they massing nuclear weapons and pointing it at America in an overt display of communist power?
Are they sending cosmonauts into space in communist displays of one-upmanship?

It seems like the worst possible thing Russia is currently doing is rooting for the administration that won't start a loving nuclear war with them, but apparently that is a terrible horrible no-good thing because the guy in charge of that administration said bad words and uses too much self tanner.

Oh, and that thing about air-striking the jihadist insurgents in Syria that America was funding to try and depose Assad.

Crimea.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Lunixnerd posted:

The argument is that they want a President who will look the other way when they bomb UN convoys and invade other countries. Not a far walk from the last decade but it would be a bonus.

Wait, no, BOW BEFORE PUTIN OR NUCLEAR WAR WAR OR APPEASEMENT COMPUTE ERROR COMPUTE

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Knight posted:

more like lol trump's schumer's hosed, am i rite?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/837722869106880517

right? Couldn't find a picture of Hillary?

lol I think he's getting nervous.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I have no idea what Russia's intentions are but it's pretty obvious Putin is benefiting from weaker and divided over internal politics western countries.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This dude is owning your entire country

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

To be fair (for some stupid reason, I don't know) Russia invaded the Ukraine and did a whole lot in Syria under Democrats, it's not really like they were facing stiff resistance before.

Obviously they will face much less token chastising now but Russia hasn't given a gently caress about what the world at large thinks of them for a long time.

To be clear: I think Donald Trump is a big fan of Russia and will do whatever Putin suggests pretty much, I just don't believe it involves an intelligent conspiracy. Maybe a really dumb conspiracy. I don't think Trump needs help to be a messy idiot. He just wants his pal Vlad to approve of him because he admires him, it doesn't need to involve blackmail or anything.

If Russia really was behind everything I will be extremely impressed with them, though.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I have no idea what Russia's intentions are but it's pretty obvious Putin is benefiting from weaker and divided over internal politics western countries.
all this talk about Putin and trump is cool and all but what i really want to know is what the dnc and leftists are up to

also, is Putin really that bad a guy, i mean, when you think about it maybe we should be focusing on more important things such as this is why trump won

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

i heard it was mike pence who bulldozed those jewish cemeteries, c/d??

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Really, it's not like everyone suddenly got afraid of Russia and think they're going to steal their children and eat them all of a sudden. Everyone has about the same unfavorable opinion about Russia as they did over the last 5 years...except for Republicans, who are suddenly more favorable towards Putin than they've ever been.

I can speculate on the reasons why, but ultimately this makes a lot of people suspicious. It makes people more suspicious when they start trying to influence our election in favor of a candidate who can't stop praising Putin, denying that he or his campaign has any dealings with Russia, and then having people in his campaign resign after their connections are discovered. This is a concern over the Trump administration in their honesty and openness about dealing with Russia more than Russia itself.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Trump killed an eight year old American girl his first week in office bruh

One year for every year he'll be president.

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

Knight posted:

I can speculate on the reasons why

Why?

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor

More like Crymea, as in Cry-me-a river

BOOM

owned :smug:

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Knight posted:

Really, it's not like everyone suddenly got afraid of Russia and think they're going to steal their children and eat them all of a sudden. Everyone has about the same unfavorable opinion about Russia as they did over the last 5 years...except for Republicans, who are suddenly more favorable towards Putin than they've ever been.

I can speculate on the reasons why, but ultimately this makes a lot of people suspicious. It makes people more suspicious when they start trying to influence our election in favor of a candidate who can't stop praising Putin, denying that he or his campaign has any dealings with Russia, and then having people in his campaign resign after their connections are discovered. This is a concern over the Trump administration in their honesty and openness about dealing with Russia more than Russia itself.

Republicans are inherently authoritarian shitheads and Putin appeals to them on that level.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Knight posted:

i wouldnt be surprised if there was a rise in favourable opinion; the whole ukraine invasion thing has become boring-nonnews, and trumps been going down pretty hard on putin (to be fair, who can blame him -- if he didnt leverage homophobia in order to further his political agenda id totally jump him too)

are there any other polls of favourability though? also, is that a reliable source?

vvvv oh ok, cool, thanks friend!

crime weed fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 3, 2017

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

I actually think the main reason is political tribalism is really strong right now, and the Republican president likes Putin, so the Republicans are talking themselves into it - really is that simple. Beyond that, there's always been a base in the hard right for Putin's authoritarian nationalism.

Kjoery posted:

are there any other polls of favourability though? also, is that a reliable source?
I've seen that same Republican/Putin trend elsewhere + YouGov is fine.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

If it seems like just a short time ago that republicans were criticizing Obama for not taking a firmer stand against Russia, it's because it was.

quote:

Republicans fiercely criticized President Barack Obama's handling of the crisis in Ukraine on Sunday, urging the White House to take a firm stand against Russia's intervention just as the Crimea region of Ukraine was voting on a referendum to split from the country.

"Russia is a gas station masquerading as a country," Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said on CNN's State of the Union, calling for "fundamental reassessment" of the U.S. relationship with Moscow.

"It's kleptocracy, it's corruption, it's a nation that's really only dependent upon oil and gas for their economy," McCain said.

“Our administration is creating an air of permissiveness,” Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) said on Fox News Sunday. "We do need to show long-term resolve. The comment that Secretary Kerry made is not helpful and again it shows a wishy washiness."

Republicans said Russia's recalcitrance requires a strong hand.

"No more reset buttons, no more 'Tell Vladimir I'll be more flexible.' Treat him for what he is," McCain said. "That does not mean the re-ignition of the Cold War. But it does mean treating him in the way that we understand an individual who believes in restoring the old Russian empire.”

http://time.com/26522/russia-crimea-ukraine-republicans-obama/

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

NotWearingPants posted:

If it seems like just a short time ago that republicans were criticizing Obama for not taking a firmer stand against Russia, it's because it was.

http://time.com/26522/russia-crimea-ukraine-republicans-obama/
ok yes this thing about the party actually in power is cool and all but Let Me Tell You About How Failed And Irrelevant Candidate Clinton Started World War 3, Cold War 2, And Brought Nuclear Annihilation To Us All.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Kjoery posted:

ok yes this thing about the party actually in power is cool and all but Let Me Tell You About How Failed And Irrelevant Candidate Clinton Started World War 3, Cold War 2, And Brought Nuclear Annihilation To Us All.

Corporate democrats are loving this poo poo. With this Trump clusterfuck they can get back to winning elections without listening to progressives. Get hosed Bernie!

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I think a lot of Republicans view Russia as a prospective ally in a cultural war against Islam. We're talking about a lot of different people, so their reasons may have broad range, from wanting to team up to stop ISIS (an admirable goal) with a foreign leader that is viewed as a more "brutal" authoritarian, to a more generalized battle to crush multiculturalism under the joined banner of either white supremacy or European culture/heritage. But I'm not a political scientist so don't take that to the bank and try to cash it.

Peace with Russia is still the ideal, the US has not been exactly virtuous in comparison.

Kjoery posted:

vvvv oh ok, cool, thanks friend!
Here's another good one: http://www.gallup.com/poll/204191/putin-image-rises-mostly-among-republicans.aspx?g_source=position1&g_medium=related&g_campaign=tiles

Over the last 2 years there has been a dramatic change of opinion of Putin by party affiliation. Somehow when Americans, as a whole, have been more and more unfavorable towards Putin, the reaction among one group has swung dramatically in the opposite direction.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Krustic posted:

Drone striking children and weddings is ok as long as it's a president from MY political party.

Actually it isn't. People pointing at Obama's crimes when someone brings up Trump's is exactly the problem. Thanks for illustrating that.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Knight posted:

This is a concern over the Trump administration in their honesty and openness about dealing with Russia more than Russia itself.

Yet you have Dems and Reps calling phishing emails "an act of war."

It seems to me that some people want to excuse Clinton's terrible campaign, some people want to smear Trump, and some people want to continue to antagonize Russia.

Who benefits?

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Knight posted:

Over the last 2 years there has been a dramatic change of opinion of Putin by party affiliation. Somehow when Americans, as a whole, have been more and more unfavorable towards Putin, the reaction among one group has swung dramatically in the opposite direction.

interesting. i dont remember fox running pro-russia articles -- did infowars or breitbart maybe run pro-RUS stuff? (though, i dont think breitbart was that influential back then -- they mostly catered to the unfrogified alt-right back then).

or wait, has the trump shitshow really been going for two years now.

could you guys maybe fix your goddamn election cycle jesus christ

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
The official "imperialist pig dog squabbling" thread

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly i'm glad Shillary lost and it's time to burn trump to the ground.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Panzeh posted:

Honestly i'm glad Shillary lost and it's time to burn trump to the ground.
i much would have preferred that trump lost and it was time to burn shillary to the ground but maybe thats just me???

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Another Trump advisor changing his story: http://www.businessinsider.com/jd-gordon-trump-adviser-ukraine-rnc-2017-3

lol Trump's hosed.

He changed the republican platform on Russia/Ukraine in exchange for Russia releasing emails to wikileaks and he was very sloppy about it. Sad.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

NotWearingPants posted:

lol Trump's hosed.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Actually it isn't. People pointing at Obama's crimes when someone brings up Trump's is exactly the problem. Thanks for illustrating that.

No problem. Much like president G.W. Bush, I am a uniter not a divider. I also completely agree that presidents should be held accountable for their crimes unless they're In the party I like.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

lol that anyone would argue this is a conspiracy that doesn't involve Russia and the President just lol

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I'm also lolin' that Trump has done a better job at delegitimizing his own presidency than he did Obama's.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
lol trump's hosed

https://medium.com/theyoungturks/the-basic-formula-for-every-shocking-russia-trump-revelation-e9ae390d9f05#.xp9ayu5i9

e: he got away

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

The Russian Connection is the democrats' white whale

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Trump status: not at all hosed

:smugdog:

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

That's a pretty accurate portrayal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper