Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

All three bikes in my spot are chained together with fuhgeddabout it chains. Thankfully though it's a safe area, and there are far more expensive unchained bikes hanging around in the garage :mmmhmm: I have comprehensive on the sv, but haven't been able to get it on the track bike unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Was it a goon who had a setup where they parked the bike inside a locked u-haul that was up on chocks with the wheels removed? The trailer may or may not have itself been inside a community garage

e/ Put my ride back together; topped up the coolant (hadn't even noticed it was under the LOW line, might explain the weird temp gauge behaviour I'd been seeing the last week or so). Found a longer bolt for the tank, turns out the thread is proper hosed (there's still some in the bottom that's good, but the top of that is crushed so the new bolt won't go in), so I'll need to get a helicoil kit. It should be okay on two bolts for a little while.

Salt crystallising all over the place, and my shiny new disc brakes are looking pretty hosed up. Wire wool is the go-to for de-rusting brakes, right?

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 26, 2017

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

hot sauce posted:

Do those of you with a secure community garage chain your bike to anything or use other anti-theft devices? I just recently moved to a place with a garage and am debating getting a big chain. I feel like it's secure enough, but have known people with bikes stolen out of this type of set up.

Yes, I got permission to install a wall anchor and I chain my bike to it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Sold it - goodbye, FZ1. I'm going to miss that bike. It was really tractable around town but still had the goods up top, and like the other two Yamahas I've owned, it never gave me a bit of trouble.

The guy who bought it was 29, and brought his grandpa with him to pick it up today. Grandpa and I shot the poo poo about our mutual dislike of Harleys, how much he likes his Valkyrie, and his trip out west to Sturgis last summer which turned into an unplanned five-week-long moto camping trip through Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, and South Dakota. Dude was cool as hell.

Then he mentioned he hoped his grandson didn't kill himself on the FZ1 because he speeds all the time and has wrecked every car he's ever owned but somehow hasn't wrecked a bike yet. :gonk:

edit: texted the new owner to make sure he got home in one piece. "yep - I like the bike, it rides nice. It will be a lot better when it's warmer out and I don't have to wear all this gear" WELP

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 26, 2017

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Ripoff posted:

Also is the throttle thing a progressive cam setup? I was thinking of one of those as I've yet to meet an EFI bike that doesn't decide that a 1/1000th of an inch throttle movement means "full power".

Oh I missed this. It's not, but it came included in the throttle reels. My friend has one on a zx10r and it's honestly kind of hard to deal with (at least on the track). Idk, not a fan.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jazzzzz posted:

Then he mentioned he hoped his grandson didn't kill himself on the FZ1 because he speeds all the time and has wrecked every car he's ever owned but somehow hasn't wrecked a bike yet. :gonk:

edit: texted the new owner to make sure he got home in one piece. "yep - I like the bike, it rides nice. It will be a lot better when it's warmer out and I don't have to wear all this gear" WELP

DED.

Glad you got rid of it finally, though. I agree with your statement about yamahas, and how they never give you any trouble. That's why we both sold our yamahas for euro exotics, right? :haw:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I parked my R1 in a "secure" garage at my ~luxury~ apartment :smug: and it got stolen. But I have full coverage and got more than I paid for the bike so oh well. I still chain up my Tuono now.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

It's getting a tow because my lovely loving vstrom has broken once again. My throttle cable snapped this time. Yay

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Schroeder91 posted:

It's getting a tow because my lovely loving vstrom has broken once again. My throttle cable snapped this time. Yay

Your post history in this thread is hilarious, I don't know if you have the patience of a saint or what but I would have burned that bike ages ago

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
What makes the 'Stroms so lovely? Other than my own stupidity, the stock R/R catching fire, and the most recent shifter repair, my SV has been nigh indestructible and quite reliable.

Edit: maybe I just have a higher tolerance for working on poo poo, that seems like a lot of crap to go wrong, especially the bit about it trying to be Italian.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 27, 2017

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

The Strom line isn't lovely, this bike is lovely.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Schroeder, is it possible that you are lovely?

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

It's possible. But the only thing you can really blame on me was me running my rear pads to the metal and ruining a rotor and there's something else I can't even remember. I suppose you could blame me for the chain snapping, but it was the PO that put the craptastic sprocket on that blew like, 10 teeth in a day. I put the old sprocket on that he gave me and it snapped the next day.

I don't think the engine dying was my fault, stator magnets failing wasn't my fault, new battery losing a cell wasn't my fault, skid plate breaking wasn't my fault, center stand breaking wasn't my fault, throttle cable snapping wasn't my fault.

I do try to take care of the bike and maintain it and poo poo just breaks on me. :smith:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Schroeder91 posted:

I do try to take care of the bike and maintain it and poo poo just breaks on me. :smith:

That's what my ninja did to me. I feel ya, bro.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Schroeder91 posted:

It's possible. But the only thing you can really blame on me was me running my rear pads to the metal and ruining a rotor and there's something else I can't even remember. I suppose you could blame me for the chain snapping, but it was the PO that put the craptastic sprocket on that blew like, 10 teeth in a day. I put the old sprocket on that he gave me and it snapped the next day.

I don't think the engine dying was my fault, stator magnets failing wasn't my fault, new battery losing a cell wasn't my fault, skid plate breaking wasn't my fault, center stand breaking wasn't my fault, throttle cable snapping wasn't my fault.

Is it possible your American muscle is just too much for that Jap crap?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

well it isn't my ride but finished my son's pw50. Installed a foot brake as well because lol at the two handbrakes

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Ripped the vstrom open to remove the old throttle cables while I wait on the new ones.

I'm not entirely sure the cables snapped. I opened the cluster thing with them on the throttle tube and there was a bunch of slack and they looked like they slipped off the tube and had kinks in them. I couldn't really adjust them to reduce the slack much and one cable was starting to unwind it looked like, so trash it is.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Almost everything you've said about that bike sounds like a series of cascading failures originating with the PO and exacerbated by whoever put the new engine in.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I don't think the guys that installed the engine did anything bad afaik. At most it was a piece of fairing broke up top but I can't say for sure it was them. The PO was definitely neglectful of the bike and I'd say exacerbated by me not being very observant and mostly just hop on and ride everyday. Leaking forks he hid from me, as well as oil leaking from seals behind the front sprocket. I guess I was just too use to my cbr500r never having an issue in the 40k miles I put on it before selling.

The bike is an 06 and I don't know if the throttle cable was ever replaced, and has ~50k miles on it so it was bound to eventually fail? What kind of life could you expect from a throttle cable nowadays? I think my center stand broke in a known fault area, the skid plate bracket just broke on its own, not even sure when or how. Aluminum sprocket couldn't hold up to the torque of the bike I guess, he said it only had 5k miles and it did look good so there was no reason to blow a bunch of teeth. I should've replaced everything but I didn't and it snapped. Maybe the reason the engine eventually died? Dunno, it happened about 6 months afterwards I think.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Schroeder91 posted:

I don't think the guys that installed the engine did anything bad afaik. At most it was a piece of fairing broke up top but I can't say for sure it was them. The PO was definitely neglectful of the bike and I'd say exacerbated by me not being very observant and mostly just hop on and ride everyday. Leaking forks he hid from me, as well as oil leaking from seals behind the front sprocket. I guess I was just too use to my cbr500r never having an issue in the 40k miles I put on it before selling.

The bike is an 06 and I don't know if the throttle cable was ever replaced, and has ~50k miles on it so it was bound to eventually fail? What kind of life could you expect from a throttle cable nowadays? I think my center stand broke in a known fault area, the skid plate bracket just broke on its own, not even sure when or how. Aluminum sprocket couldn't hold up to the torque of the bike I guess, he said it only had 5k miles and it did look good so there was no reason to blow a bunch of teeth. I should've replaced everything but I didn't and it snapped. Maybe the reason the engine eventually died? Dunno, it happened about 6 months afterwards I think.

The return throttle cable on my '08 SV was broken when I got it. I don't think Suzuki uses teflon liners in the cables, at least it didn't look like it in the replacement I got, so maybe they just dry up and break after ~10 years.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Fats posted:

The return throttle cable on my '08 SV was broken when I got it. I don't think Suzuki uses teflon liners in the cables, at least it didn't look like it in the replacement I got, so maybe they just dry up and break after ~10 years.

I actually read on the forums for my bike that they use Teflon so I dunno. I've never done throttle cable work before so I can't tell the difference or if these are even stock. I ordered a motion pro set because it's local and I can get it tomorrow.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Cable life is very nearly entirely down to care and conditions it is operated in.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Installed the new throttle cables today and put the bike together. Only ended up being about 3 1/2 hours total of work, a lot less than I expected. Throttle feels great now.

Also, the cable did snap as I suspected, down at the engine side.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What did I do to my bike today? Thought about it, trapped in the garage in a snowstorm, while I'm across the country in 80 degree weather with no bike to ride. :smith:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Went to check on it, reconnected the battery tender because someone had taken the outlet again, then slipped on a patch of ice when I left the garage. :smith:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I removed the 2nd and 3rd gear governor wires on the 690SMC today and now it rips monster power wheelies in 2nd every time. I'm hitting balance point 1/3 of the time now, where I never got there before in 1st gear stuff. :aaaaa:

My enduro gas cap retrofit doesn't leak, either!

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Plugged up the pair valve on the 919 so no more exhaust popping in decel. Also installed renthal road Iow bars. Really transformed the feel of the bike. They are a little wider so the bike feels a little lighter on the turn in. Definitely would recommend them to any hornet owners

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Plugged up the pair valve on the 919 so no more exhaust popping in decel.

But exhaust popping in decel is the best thing

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

hot sauce posted:

But exhaust popping in decel is the best thing

Someone straighten me out here, is exhaust popping indicative of a lean condition or is it unburnt fuel igniting when it hits a hot exhaust? I have heard both.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It's a lean condition. Hence why coast enricheners exist.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Jazzzzz posted:

Someone straighten me out here, is exhaust popping indicative of a lean condition or is it unburnt fuel igniting when it hits a hot exhaust? I have heard both.

Lean condition, but a PAIR/SAS/whatever valve injects air into the exhaust so it's not actually the mixture the engine's burning that's lean.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jazzzzz posted:

Isn't it both? The lean mixture (which is not a problem at idle anyway) burns slowly or incompletely and is still burning when it enters the exhaust.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I thought it was the result of an over-lean mixture not igniting at all in the cylinders, so the unburned fuel is pumped out into the exhaust pipes, and eventually enough builds up in there that it ignites on the hot valves or from a bit of burning fuel coming out when it does fire correctly etc.

Like, it's the same phenomenon that lets you do that explodey bang thing with the killswitch that blows up your exhaust.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

High Protein posted:

Lean condition, but a PAIR/SAS/whatever valve injects air into the exhaust so it's not actually the mixture the engine's burning that's lean.

Indeed the PAIR injects air specifically so as to burn off unburnt hydrocarbons in the exhaust that would otherwise come out the back as soot, hence the popping. 919's seem to run filthy rich at idle so that tallies.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

So is that bad? My vstrom pops a lot on deceleration and sometimes it'll pop LOUD, and spit flames I'm told. On one hand I enjoy it, on the other it CANT be good and I'm sure my neighbors hate it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's bad for the environment I guess?

E: wait I just realised who was asking that; in your case it means the exhaust is about to fall off and the engine blow up

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Popping on deceleration (i.e. engine braking, high RPM against a closed throttle) is normal. If it sounds like a machine-gun or it's blowing chunks of fibreglass out of your muffler, yeah, that's probably bad, but otherwise it's just how a carbureted engine works. I enjoy my Hawk's popcorn popper when I'm coming down a steep hill.

If it's an EFI engine and it pops a lot it's probably some emissions-related clean-burn thing as noted above. With EFI that behavior can be easily tuned out entirely (e.g. just shutting off the injectors when the throttle is completely closed).

If it's popping all the time, not just on deceleration, then you probably have a general lean condition and that should be looked at cause it's bad for the engine.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

If it's an EFI engine and it pops a lot it's probably some emissions-related clean-burn thing as noted above. With EFI that behavior can be easily tuned out entirely (e.g. just shutting off the injectors when the throttle is completely closed).

And again I can recount my favourite Italian bike story, when Aprilia fixed the popping on deceleration with an update to their first-gen RBW engines enough people complained that they had to rush out another update to dealers to put the pops back.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Haha thats fantastic. I do love my Tuono Pops™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Did a valve check, set the air / fuel mix back to default since I have the stock exhaust again and synchronized the carbs.