Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Weaponized Cum posted:

Doc from Vader drank himself to death

booooooring!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Vinny Daze ate bad blowfish. Not very metal but definitely a bizarre musician death.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Euronymous

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Remember when that dude from Goatlord shot his neighbour, her kid and then himself

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Bandcamp is definitely probably the best for digital purchases. 10% from physical merch is still probably a good deal, at least a lot better than they would get from their label.

It also rules that bandcamp is doing very well:

https://daily.bandcamp.com/2017/01/24/everything-is-terrific-the-bandcamp-2016-year-in-review/
Cassettes are old enough that people actually buy them again?

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Incoherence posted:

yeah I've been seeing them at merch tables more and more lately, I don't get it but there must be a demand?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Incoherence posted:

Cassettes have never gone anywhere, people have been using them for demo tapes pretty consistently since the 80s. They're a good format for metal so it's hardly surprising.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
If it's neo nazi power electronics you can bet your rear end it's on a cassette.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zodijackylite posted:

The drummer from Mortician walked into a lake while high on PCP.

tbf that's about what you'd expect from mortician

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Tapes are cool because they're a good way to do cheap short runs, primarily newer bands (demos) and some miscellaneous stuff like live albums. I've found some cool stuff like the Maximum Oversatan demo and One Master's live tape. It's also nice because these usually cost five bucks. Can't say I've recently bought a new tape that was also on CD, though.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Speaking of bandcamp, new Phrenelith is up and it scratches an itch for dirty death metal: https://phrenelith.bandcamp.com/album/chimaerian-offspring

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Vitek(?) the drummer from Decapitated died of head trauma. Pretty metal if you ask me.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Tape is great. Buy lots of tapes.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

When will bandcamp offer albums on 3.5 floppy discs, it's such a great format for metal!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Gaggins posted:

When will bandcamp offer albums on 3.5 floppy discs, it's such a great format for metal!

there's a split between Wulkanaz and Likfard that was released on 5.25 floppies.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

But also, if you have an issue with tapes it's likely that you don't have much contact with an actual metal scene, because tapes are all over the place, and they're cool

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Metal sounds best on my vintage 1990 Sony Walkman

I don't have a problem with tapes I just think it's funny that they're coming back.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
the new Immolation album is :kiss:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Gaggins posted:

Metal sounds best on my vintage 1990 Sony Walkman

I don't have a problem with tapes I just think it's funny that they're coming back.

They never went away. They're getting more popular but tapes have literally never stopped being a thing.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Yeah, since it's so much easier for bands to release something on tape, and also because of the awesome analog sound. We've forgotten how superior tape sound can be compared to a cd. Still blows my mind from time to time if the production is right

actually this is not a debate I wanna start, gently caress it. Sometimes I like the tape sound over digital though

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 2, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
a recording done straight to tape then dumped on a computer for editing/mastering is going to have a lot more "authentic" tape saturation than one recorded digitally then the stereo mix printed to tape which i guarantee is the case with 99% of current tape releases

but a lot of that sound also comes from using old analog mic preamps, compressors, certain boards, etc.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TheIllestVillain posted:

the new Immolation album is :kiss:

It and Kingdom of Conspiracy are both pretty by the numbers and would rank near the bottom of their discography. Which is still better than most bands would ever muster, let alone after 25 years in the game.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Well, if anyone likes noodly balkan-sounding folk metal with brass, Trollfest have released a new album.

It's not for everyone but I like their stuff, and their attitude. Just guys loving around, drinking and having a laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuPVDZqRSEs

henpod fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 2, 2017

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Was visiting friends in Helsinki last week. We went to see Sabaton, Twilight Force, and Accept on friday, Dream Theater on Monday, and Devin Townsend on Tuesday.

Accept bored me to tears, and Sabaton neither exceeded my expectations nor let me down. But the heroes of the night were Twilight loving Force .

I'd checked them out a little before the gig - I liked their albums, and I knew they wore fantasy getups on stage, which is amusing. I was kind of expecting them to be terrible live, though.

Their albums are very heavily produced, with a lot of layering, sound effects, choirs, and poo poo. It's just not something that six dudes on stage can reproduce very easily. They're also really fast, with a lot of tremolo picking, intricate sweep solos, and extremely high pitched vocals. In my experience that's a formula for an extremely lovely live performance. Also, the cheesy stage costumes kind of felt like a compensating gimmick.

Nope. They were perfect. The singer didn't even break a sweat, the instruments were tight as gently caress. And the keyboard playing wizard was hugely entertaining.

Dream Theater played a massive three hour set - They played what felt like a full set, took a fifteen minute break, and then played the entirety of Images and Words, which was really neat to see. James LaBrie's age does seem to be catching up with him though - He was audibly struggling towards the end of the set, and the band added quite a few gratuitous and lengthy instrumental breaks, no doubt intended to give James a little breather.

Devin was Devin. Charming, awkward, impossibly flawless musician Devin. He talked at length about how Finnish saunas taught him that his penis isn't as small as he thought it was.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I'm gonna see Nocturnus and Inquisition on Friday. Should be fun. I wanna have a beer with Mike Browning

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Henchman of Santa posted:

It and Kingdom of Conspiracy are both pretty by the numbers and would rank near the bottom of their discography. Which is still better than most bands would ever muster, let alone after 25 years in the game.

I listened to Majesty and Decay today at work on a whim and finally 'got it' so I guess I gotta go listen to the rest of their albums

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Mr. Pickles posted:

Yeah, since it's so much easier for bands to release something on tape, and also because of the awesome analog sound. We've forgotten how superior tape sound can be compared to a cd. Still blows my mind from time to time if the production is right

actually this is not a debate I wanna start, gently caress it. Sometimes I like the tape sound over digital though
As a teen I used to listen to stuff I had copied over to a bunch of old c-tapes, and to this day Stratovarius - Black Diamond sounds weird as hell to me if the faux harpsichord isn't all warbly from being played from a worn-to-poo poo tape

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

the yeti posted:

I listened to Majesty and Decay today at work on a whim and finally 'got it' so I guess I gotta go listen to the rest of their albums

I'm a huge fan of that album. It would slot above even Unholy Cult or Failures for Gods if I ranked them.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
New VHS song (has guest vocals from everyone's favorite band)

https://vhshorror.bandcamp.com/track/from-the-scrapyard-to-the-graveyard

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

the yeti posted:

Hell yes. Along with majesty and decay, I really love unholy cult, dawn of possession, and close to a world below. That last one is probably a top 10 dm album.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Weird, I don't see Papa Emeritus in the credits at all

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Nor Dagon from Inquisition.

Ingram owns though and I am gay for Benediction.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
here's a cool band with members of Temple of Void, Acid Witch, Shitfucker, Perversion, etc

https://nukedetroit.bandcamp.com/

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

there's a new nokturnal mortum song, and it's not bad even if it's maybe a bit too long and the production is quite clean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7em2CkLuAs

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Weaponized Cum posted:

I'm gonna see Nocturnus and Inquisition on Friday. Should be fun. I wanna have a beer with Mike Browning

Ask him about the kidney stone that he passed and proceeded to post a picture of on Facebook.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
New Unleash the Archers album in three months. :getin:

The cover art is loving sweet.

Spinal Pap
Jun 24, 2007

uh-

Gaggins posted:

Here you go:
http://depressiveillusions.com/items/floppy-diskettes?sort_by=title&sort_order=ASC

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Nordick posted:

New Unleash the Archers album in three months. :getin:

The cover art is loving sweet.

Looking forward to this one. I hope the production has a bit more depth than their last CD, but it still had good songs on there.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Not Very Metal posted:

here's a cool band with members of Temple of Void, Acid Witch, Shitfucker, Perversion, etc

https://nukedetroit.bandcamp.com/

I thought the band was called Nuke Detroit and I am disappointed it's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Detective Thompson posted:

I thought the band was called Nuke Detroit and I am disappointed it's not.

I thought this same thing and, as a former resident of the Detroit 'burbs, I'm sad as well.