Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pablo Gigante posted:

This is a weird train of thought to me

I mean, I like to post and talk about games. Yakuza is a franchise with more games coming out this year. If I play Yakuza 0 six months from now, there will be plenty of people to talk about it with, I think. HZD will probably get a sequel, but at the same time, the thread will probably be dead in six months.

This wouldn't be much of an influence on its own, but since I am having trouble making up my mind, I feel like considering it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

you can still get hzd for $48 at best buy or amazon right now so i would probably just get it for that reason

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pablo Gigante posted:

This is a weird train of thought to me

Water cooler chat is half the reason I see movies in the first week. Games though lol, I'll join that conversation like two years later.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

you can still get hzd for $48 at best buy or amazon right now so i would probably just get it for that reason

I'm probably gonna buy digital just to waste money for the conveniences inherent to digital.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Snak posted:

I mean, I like to post and talk about games. Yakuza is a franchise with more games coming out this year. If I play Yakuza 0 six months from now, there will be plenty of people to talk about it with, I think. HZD will probably get a sequel, but at the same time, the thread will probably be dead in six months.

This wouldn't be much of an influence on its own, but since I am having trouble making up my mind, I feel like considering it.

That makes sense I guess

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It's cool to talk about games when you're playing them along with everyone else. Zelda is about to totally gently caress up my PS4 gaming life, which means I'm not gonna get back to Nioh until anyone still playing it is on their Nth run and the chat is more about advanced strategies than noob stuff. Mild bummer.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

acksplode posted:

It's cool to talk about games when you're playing them along with everyone else. Zelda is about to totally gently caress up my PS4 gaming life, which means I'm not gonna get back to Nioh until anyone still playing it is on their Nth run and the chat is more about advanced strategies than noob stuff. Mild bummer.

I will always be up for talking about Nioh. Noob stuff included :)

But I'm kind of in the position now in Nioh where I'm just clowning everything and I'm ready to take a break before coming back to try different builds.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Zipperelli. posted:

P. sure it's just a reskinned Minecraft, just using Legos.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but the preview video I watched made it look so.

I mean, it is and it isn't. I played the Early Access and it's farther along and used a lot of feedback.

Is it Minecraft-like in the sense that you can build whatever you want in a generated world? Sure. That's about where it ends. You won't be mining for resources or anything.

You start off on various worlds, doing poo poo, to earn gold bricks to become a master builder. When you reach that point you get your own world. They are going to have tons of characters, customization, vehicles. etc. (1000 items, I think I read?) And even will be curating public creations for availability.

I'd think of it more like the best of Minecraft, Lego and LittleBigPlanet, maybe?

[ed]
A really good read:

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017/02/lego-worlds-hands-on-preview/

Feenix fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 3, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

acksplode posted:

I assign a place a time to each console so i keep everything balanced and dont feel like im ignoring anything. My laptop and switch are for when someone uses tv. Ps4 is for when tv is mine. 360 is for lazy weekend mornings in bed. 3ds and vita by the bed for waiting to get sleepy.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Snak posted:

Does the gear that comes with the digital delux edition of HZD break the early game? I don't like it when that happens...

Nope. Gear generally gives you more options, not more power. It'll just save you some money in the early game.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

rabidsquid posted:

hey did that nobunagas ambition game end up being any good, its 20 bucks at gamestop right now

It's a PS2 era grand strategy game that happens to run at 1080p. The UI hasn't changed since then, the gameplay hasn't changed since then, and it's all about moving units around on the map and balancing your budget. Combat is no more exciting than "move two armies into the same general area and watch them fight, occasionally using a commander ability by selecting it from a menu." I liked it, but I play paradox strategy games all the time. If you have never played something like Romance of the Three Kingdoms or Europa Universalis, I would be very hesitant to recommend it. If those two titles excite you, then get the one that ends with "ascension." It adds management of a private estate so you have something to mess with while you have no resources to do anything exciting.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh poo poo Nier is getting killer reviews. Do you know what you are doing to my wallet right now Sony?!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
There's a place in Horizon where you're told you should clear all "errands" and so on before going ahead. What does this mean specifically? I take it I can still do side quests afterwards, and that I just need to make sure I just don't go in without my pants?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
where does HZD rank on a scale of FO4 to Nioh?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I couldn't find a switch today so I guess im stuck playing this super rad game instead.

Edit: this isn't then hzd thread...oh well

ufarn
May 30, 2009

ex post facho posted:

I think it's loving amazing 10/10. I'm the grumpiest guy in the world, and the story, worldbuilding, and voice acting are all top notch.

The graphics are great, but I feel like I need a Pro/HDR for my excellent 4K Panasonic to see the same thing everyone else does when they call it describe it the way they do.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
My TV developed a dead pixel last week as if it knew about the current launch lineup and wanted to spoil my day in advance.

Well joke's on you, television set, I'm not going to go through the hassle of replacing you just because it looks like there's a gnat stuck on my screen.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ex post facho posted:

Hard to say from a metric that dumb, but it's super good. Probably the best open world game I've played imho.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

ex post facho posted:

I'd say it ranks as Baldur's gate 2: Throne of Bhaal on that metric.

Purr Objectives
Mar 3, 2017

Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse.

ex post facho posted:

Why would a scale start at 7?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

.7 more like?!!!!

Thank you

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

ex post facho posted:

I'm enjoying it more than Nioh as an overall experience. Nioh is a better game to have fun with for a few hours though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I bought Zero Darkwater Horizon Digital Deluxe edition, now I'm just trying to clear space to be able to download it.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
sounds nito, gonna have to check it out after i beat nioh then i think

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i never played TW3 because the combat looked terrible as gently caress and if i want a good story i'll read a book, but HZD seems to strike a good balance

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i dunno what it is about the ARPG formula but drat if there haven't been a ton of good ones in the last few years

my library is like

demons souls
dark souls
dark souls 2
dark souls 3
bloodborne
nioh
shadow of mordor
da:i (:barf: )
farcry 4
uncharted 4
titanfall2
fo4 :cripes:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ex post facho posted:

i dunno what it is about the ARPG formula but drat if there haven't been a ton of good ones in the last few years

my library is like

demons souls
dark souls
dark souls 2
dark souls 3
bloodborne
nioh
shadow of mordor
da:i (:barf: )
farcry 4
uncharted 4
titanfall2
fo4 :cripes:

Play Horizon on Very Hard and prepare for Robot Souls.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
If I'm trying and failing to play MKV files on the media player, is that something to do with the audio of the file not being supported? A lot of MKV's I have aren't working at all on here, or are stuttering video/audio.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Kingtheninja posted:

If I'm trying and failing to play MKV files on the media player, is that something to do with the audio of the file not being supported? A lot of MKV's I have aren't working at all on here, or are stuttering video/audio.

mkvs are hit or miss. Anytime a file won't play, I just run it through handbrake, since every file that I encode with handbrake works fine.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Snak posted:

mkvs are hit or miss. Anytime a file won't play, I just run it through handbrake, since every file that I encode with handbrake works fine.

Just learned about handbrake, what do you normally do to the files to make them work after?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Kingtheninja posted:

Just learned about handbrake, what do you normally do to the files to make them work after?

Well, I usually just convert them to mp4 using the x.264 codec. And I haven't had to gently caress with it because they always play on my ps4 then. I don't know much about how audio is encoded with video. My knowledge stops and putting things in premiere and hitting "encode with H.264". Everything that encode with premiere or handbrake using H.264 works fine on ps4's media player. I'm not sure if that's helpful.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Need for speed rivals is actually pretty good. I thought it wasnt, but i was craving the criterion NFS most wanted and it's pretty close in feel. scratches the same itch for $15 anyway.

I got that double pack that's on sale, is the newer one worth playing at all?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Snak posted:

Well, I usually just convert them to mp4 using the x.264 codec. And I haven't had to gently caress with it because they always play on my ps4 then. I don't know much about how audio is encoded with video. My knowledge stops and putting things in premiere and hitting "encode with H.264". Everything that encode with premiere or handbrake using H.264 works fine on ps4's media player. I'm not sure if that's helpful.

Super helpful, I'll download it and give it a whirl. Thanks for the info!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

Play Horizon on Very Hard and prepare for Robot Souls.

Unless I'm missing something the melee combat in Horizon is nowhere sophisticated enough for this comparison to work.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Unless I'm missing something the melee combat in Horizon is nowhere sophisticated enough for this comparison to work.
Yeah, it's just light attack, heavy attack, sneak attack, and is there only one melee weapon type?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
so what is HZD combat like then

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

ex post facho posted:

Tomb Raider.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ex post facho posted:

Tomb Raider for the arrow-play. (Ranged)

2 Hit Brawler (with no kind of lock on whatsoever) for non-stealth Melee.

Canned Stealth Kills for any kind of melee stealth kill.

That about covers it, I think.

The non-stealth Melee could feel a little less... I dunno... random. It is both punishing in the sense that you swing and something may not be in your direction anymore, and extremely forgiving in terms of hitboxes for the move.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Going by my experience so far, if you're using melee on something that isn't downed/stunned you're doing something wrong and about to die.

I also wouldn't compare it to Dark Souls at all, not every game with a long windup animation and low player health is Dark Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am not that far in but my current method for dealing with small/medium enemies is heavy strike - critical hit.