Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Deathwheel chat: actually, you probably could make a toothed wheel on a grinder safe - thousands of people use circular saws every day without dying, and a sawblade on a grinder isn't that much different. The difference being, of course, a proper retractable guard and goddamned sidehandle. Jfc every time I see some idiot swinging a goddamned grinder without a loving sidehandle I want to kick him in the elbow and let the medical bills teach him an important lesson in workplace safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mostlygray posted:

Though it's been found that the hull failure was likely due to a coal fire, yes they could have gone around.

The helmsman stopped the engines giving him no steerage. If he'd kept power on and steered away and then toward he would have kept his rear end from striking the iceberg. An accident happens when something completely unexpected happens. Be it a gun, or be it the Titanic, it was human failure.

Not giving the look-out binoculars didn't help.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

rndmnmbr posted:

Deathwheel chat: actually, you probably could make a toothed wheel on a grinder safe - thousands of people use circular saws every day without dying, and a sawblade on a grinder isn't that much different. The difference being, of course, a proper retractable guard and goddamned sidehandle. Jfc every time I see some idiot swinging a goddamned grinder without a loving sidehandle I want to kick him in the elbow and let the medical bills teach him an important lesson in workplace safety.

there are specific pneumatic grinders made for these wheels, with yes sturdy guards and side handles

in shipbuilding, they are used to back gouge welds

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Fewer employment protections so you can get fired just for suspicion of having done something, a more limited safety net so aforementioned firing can block you from the meager unemployment insurance an hourly food prep job provides, and a general lack of savings for most people making absorbing a loss of income more difficult.

Or in otherwords, FEAR.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Man, I hate to be one of those people that second guesses a doctor, but surely a scalpel would have been a better choice for making that incision??

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Slugworth posted:

Man, I hate to be one of those people that second guesses a doctor, but surely a scalpel would have been a better choice for making that incision??

This was my initial reaction to the picture as well :hf:

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Or in otherwords, FEAR.

American workers had it way worse in the not so distant past. The lack of protection and fear doesn't really explain the eagerness to suck company dick even if it means you might die.

I guess the end stage capitalism Stock Holm syndrome kind of explains it. I also think Americans are generally very conservative, and part of that is this weird sense of loyalty. "The company will treat me better if I show my loyalty and use this death trap. Work hard and I will move up!" while the company can fire you for now reason and obviously gives no fucks about you if they are trying to kill you at work. And then when they gently caress you over, you just rationalize that you have to work harder and show more loyalty.

I don't have any good OSHA content. I work at a desk. The desk doesn't even have sharp corners.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I don't have any good OSHA content. I work at a desk. The desk doesn't even have sharp corners.

I work at a desk, with rounded corners, from home.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Stock Holm syndrome

Stockholm syndrome is named after Stockholm, a city.

e: If that was caused by a spelling checker, it's a really bad spelling checker.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Stock Holm syndrome is padding out The Hobbit with stock footage of Ian Holm.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Crossposting this from the dangerous chemicals thread over

URL fixed

http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2017/03/03/how-not-to-do-it-breaking-up-ammonium-nitrate

New Derek Lowe piece, about BASF using a novel method of separating large hunks of solid ammonium nitrate

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 3, 2017

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

`Nemesis posted:

Crossposting this from the dangerous chemicals thread over in PYF

http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipelin...mmonium-nitrate

New Derek Lowe piece, about BASF using a novel method of separating large hunks of solid ammonium nitrate

Link got truncated.

I guess they use interns to hack it into pieces?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Lurking Haro posted:

Link got truncated.

I guess they use interns to hack it into pieces?

Fixed the link, and it sounds like they may have tried that, but it wasn't efficient enough for the quantities they were producing..

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

A little late, but triticum guzzler is a loving forums treasure

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

American workers had it way worse in the not so distant past. The lack of protection and fear doesn't really explain the eagerness to suck company dick even if it means you might die.

I guess the end stage capitalism Stock Holm syndrome kind of explains it. I also think Americans are generally very conservative, and part of that is this weird sense of loyalty. "The company will treat me better if I show my loyalty and use this death trap. Work hard and I will move up!" while the company can fire you for now reason and obviously gives no fucks about you if they are trying to kill you at work. And then when they gently caress you over, you just rationalize that you have to work harder and show more loyalty.

So American workers are Boxer from Animal Farm?

"I will work harder"

"The masters are always right"

<glue factory>

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sitting is the new smoking enjoy your heart disease

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Memento posted:

So American workers are Boxer from Animal Farm?

"I will work harder"

"The masters are always right"

<glue factory>

correct

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

rndmnmbr posted:

Really, really, really NMS: http://i.imgur.com/xfJfbl9.jpg

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Industrial accidents are not to be sneezed at.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

`Nemesis posted:

Crossposting this from the dangerous chemicals thread over

URL fixed

http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2017/03/03/how-not-to-do-it-breaking-up-ammonium-nitrate

The one linked in there is crazy: http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2009/09/18/175_times_and_then_the_catastrophe

"175 times and then the catastrophe"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Slugworth posted:

The world’s first chainsaw was a surgeon’s tool.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

rndmnmbr posted:

Someone posted it earlier. You use two blades rotating in opposite directions.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

GLORIFY

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

How does that

I don't even

:dogbutton:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Balls of neturon star matter, right there.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Phanatic posted:

Is there actually a person left in there to keep alive?

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

The old fashioned crop n' tilt.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

weg posted:

Now the mountain in the background is even more insane!
E: ehhhhh ok I'm having a little trouble parsing it out but I can kinda see it. I'm still on the 'unaltered original' bandwagon though (even if it drives off a cliff)
E2: Nah the switchback in the foreground is what tears it. Tilted. :(

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 4, 2017

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

it's a perfect image to tilt, really. there's nothing that gives you a good sense of orientation, like a horizon line, body of water, human-made structure, etc.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

One of the earliest sources I could find for this photo is the Mining Mayhem Facebook page which has a huge gallery of similar stuff:

... which is possibly also photoshopped

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it's a perfect image to tilt, really. there's nothing that gives you a good sense of orientation, like a horizon line, body of water, human-made structure, etc.

There are some power lines in the background that have a rather steep incline in the "fixed" image. Not impossibly so, but they are there.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

weg posted:

That doesn't make sense, the river canyon now has a 35 degree angle?

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
I'm not sure what you mean, it looks normal to me. Look at how the shadows fall, also the little plant above the excavator.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Look at the loose stones in the foreground. There’s no way that the original image isn’t misleadingly rotated.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
You should also consider that if it was really perched like that, an even wider shot of it would even more impressive. Weird crops for no reason should be a red flag for fuckery.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

weg posted:

I'm not sure what you mean, it looks normal to me. Look at how the shadows fall, also the little plant above the excavator.

Plants on cliffs grow outward.

I think it's tilted but not nearly as much as you're suggesting.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

So is that supposed to be a mountain side in the background? The power lines or whatever don't really make sense in the tilted one if that's the case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Power lines sag in the middle and that’s completely normal. :confused: