Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Some people just have a backpfeifengeschreibstil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Sometimes people tell me they like the prequels.

I sometimes wear a shirt to work that says "ASK ME ABOUT MY STAR WARS PREQUEL AGENDA."

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

weekly font posted:

Do you guys find yourselves getting into hopeless film arguments outside of here/with people who aren't film assholes like us? I try to avoid it like a boxer in a barfight but it happens sometimes and I'm always disappointed when I engage.

Approaching things as a conflict is already the problem. The point is to help people articulate their own ideas better.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Some people just have a backpfeifengeschreibstil

google translate says Whistle Writing Style. c/d?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Someone go steal me a Logan poster

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I'm forever in highschool and hating everything you love.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Approaching things as a conflict is already the problem. The point is to help people articulate their own ideas better.

This like does the opposite of explain your posting

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I doubt that most CineD posters are assholish enough to sit someone down in real life and tell them that actually, Marvel movies are bad.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DrVenkman posted:

I doubt that most CineD posters are assholish enough to sit someone down in real life and tell them that actually, Marvel movies are bad.

I tell people "The Avengers sucks" all the time.

Well, not all the time, but whenever the movie comes up. It's not some non-sequitur I through out at random.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I tell my wife how bad all the movies she likes are during sex

So not all the time. Once or twice a year.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
What's a movie?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MacheteZombie posted:

google translate says Whistle Writing Style. c/d?

Probably meant backpfeifengesicht or "punchable face".

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

What's a movie?

A miserable pile of secrets?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

glam rock hamhock posted:

This like does the opposite of explain your posting

Not really. So long as people don't outright refuse to communicate (e.g. repeating 'it's just bad' over and over, shutting down any conversation before it begins), it's very easy to teach a common ground. A friend of mine rewatched Twilight the other day, and later voiced her agreement that the film is a camp comedy about a monstrous human taking preying on an idiot vampire. She'd initially rejected the film as meaningless.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DrVenkman posted:

Those people suck in real life.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I only bring up Marvel movies in real life if someone explicitly asks what kind of movies I'm not into, which is kind of a weird question and not a very interesting line of conversation anyway. It happens more often than I'd like.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

I only bring up Marvel movies in real life if someone explicitly asks what kind of movies I'm not into, which is kind of a weird question and not a very interesting line of conversation anyway. It happens more often than I'd like.

I think it's on some checklist of questions to ask someone when you find out they are into movies.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Marvel movies are good.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
some good.
some bad

u mad,

bro?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Hey HUNDU, you wanna sift through trash with me?

glam rock hamhock posted:

A miserable pile of secrets?

Nice.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Secrets of the Clown

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Mourning Wood

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Haha I didn't see that one.

Attack of the Vegan Zombies

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
The Brain That Wouldn't Die

Yesss!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

MacheteZombie posted:

Haha I didn't see that one.

Attack of the Vegan Zombies

Filth to Ashes, Flesh to Dust

ynohtna posted:

The Brain That Wouldn't Die

Yesss!

That's a really arresting opening 15 seconds.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

MacheteZombie posted:

I think it's on some checklist of questions to ask someone when you find out they are into movies.

It's definitely on a certain kind of person's checklist, the kind that doesn't like to hear my answer. For a little while last year it got replaced by "Man, I bet you think Beavis was fuckin' terrible, huh?" which is about 20 times more interesting as a subject of conversation.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That's a really arresting opening 15 seconds.

Everyone who digs Reanimator needs to check out The Brain That Wouldn't Die.

"The alcoholic has his bottle... The dope addict his needle... I had my research."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
While I could take or leave the quasi-Lacanian stuff that goes on in CineD, I constantly run into people who are completely bewildered by and hostile to the idea of figuring out where a film stands ideologically, and I'd take obscurantism over willful ignorance any day.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This dude I knew got real mad when I said Fight Club was advocating against Tyler's facile anti-capitalist violence.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Well, I mean, that guy is almost right, he's just not conscious enough, you know?

Fight Club has one of the biggest gaps between narrative and presentation I've ever seen.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah for sure, I used to also think the movie was pro-Durden. The style overtakes the message really hard on that movie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
My doofus ex once got violently upset with me for suggesting Cronenberg's films deal with our fear of illness and bodily function.

Also Marvel movies are p bad. I don't go to the movies for that anyways though so my opinion is w/e

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Watching Ghostbusters (2016) for the first time and i'm pretty much having the inverse reaction of everyone else i'd heard talk about it. The ghosts look fine so far and it does "feel" like ghostbusters movie, but the actresses are horrible and not at all funny. (movie is about halfway done) The Extras and B characters are fine, but any time the mains are on screen it just.... dies.

Most people said they loved the actresses but the rest of the movie fell flat.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 3, 2017

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
It's not really keeping your attention though, is it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Would it surprise you to know that I've seen like 5 of their FF movies? Wouldn't even know where to begin with most of their stuff, haha.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

My doofus ex once got violently upset with me for suggesting Cronenberg's films deal with our fear of illness and bodily function.

How on god's green earth could someone argue against this? The Fly is essentially about a guy contracting AIDS.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

FishBulb posted:

I tell my wife how bad all the movies she likes are during sex

So not all the time. Once or twice a year.

I also tell your wife how bad all the movies she likes are during sex

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I mean that's weird I doubt she can hear you from wherever you are.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I think the mixed interpretations with Fight Club stems from the fact that's it's actually not entirely anti-Durden. The film is definitely pushing an anti-consumerism message. After all it's the narrator's need to define himself through possessions that leads to his vacuous existence and ultimately to his delusions. Durden's move into terrorism and self destruction is ultimately chastised by the film, but his more sane views on anti-consumerism aren't. There's a fuzzy line in there somewhere, and it's very easy to understand why people have trouble seeing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Doofus Ex: Manchild Incited

• Locked thread