Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
gently caress this thing is so versatile! I love it!

Been playing muliplayer Snipperclips and Fast RMX on the TV and in airplane mode all day now I'm going to sit up all night playing Zelda in bed.

The only real annoyance so far is working out how to effectively communicate the controls to the person using the other Joycon as they're labeled differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
The pro controller is in stock at amazon if anyone has been looking for one.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I used 3 days of vacation so I could play today and over the weekend. It's going to be a real kick in the balls if it shows up on Monday.

Also even if the screen scratches easily I'll still take a scratched up screen over using a screen protector. Oh no, a scratch, the resale value is ruined.

Edit: Those scratches don't even run straight vertically so there's probably some dipshittery involved that they aren't mentioning, like with the Joy-Cons popping off.

Aw man I'm sort of there with you, sorry. I used one day of vacation today. Found out this morning it won't even arrive until after 2p PST :(. Which, for UPS, is code for Monday :(

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

quote:

"I'm not into Zelda, even if it is the GOAT, I'll just play my not-GOAT game instead."

This is a good thread.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Please. Even the PS4 and Xbone don't do 1080p properly

yes it's because they're both doing 4K now

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Modus Pwnens posted:

The PDP one sucks. It is too big, and also doesn't come with some of the quality of life things that I expect from screen protectors these days. No included spray/wet wipe, crumpled lovely little tabs you can't pull off without touching the underside or exposing it to dust, no hinge method stickers, no way to clean dust off the underside after the inevitable first failed attempt because it's oversized.

If none of that made sense to you, congratulations, you're not an rear end in a top hat. But still don't buy the PDP one.

No issues removing it? I may try to do a quick measure/cut to get rid of the overlap and use it until the glass one arrives in a couple weeks.

Louisgod posted:

Haven't seen anybody mention it but the Hori screen protector is once again stellar, easy to put on and makes the console look as if it doesn't have a protector on. Really glad I got it day one considering people are seeing scratches on the screen. That, and kids.

Thats good to hear. It was a 3/5 stars on Amazon with some complaints the last I saw, but you gotta figure most reviews include the bad more than the good experiences.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

i mean if you're trying to talk yourself out of getting a switch you realize that overcooked is already available on ps4/xbox/steam and ultimate chicken horse is on steam early access and will show up on all three at full release, or is that :thejoke:

Yeah, I mean. I'm gonna get it eventually. I'm just sad that everything I'm looking forward to outside of Zelda is some kind of multiplayer game and many of them are already released for other platforms.

Butt Frenzy
Jul 29, 2004

Ninja Bob posted:

Awesome, thank you. Hooray Sunday delivery!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I loving love that a lot of indie PC games are coming to the Switch because I love portable hardware. I played the entirety of The Talos Principle on my phone clipped into a bluetooth controller, which was streaming the game via Moonlight from my gaming PC.

The Switch is that absurd Steamboy Kickstarter but real and also has Nintendo games. I'm not gonna be ready to call it my favorite console ever until a good two-three years from now but the potential is certainly there.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Geight posted:

I can't find out how to make my Switch connect to my TV, everyone else says theirs just immediately connects when put in the dock, mine doesn't do anything and the Switch's screen stays on

This is dumb but my first time, I had the dock power cord "plugged" into the USB port instead of the power port.

Otherwise, yeah there's really only one way to put the switch in so it's not like you're likely to be doing it wrong.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Ninja Bob posted:

Was coming here to post the same. Thanks.

Amazon hasn't had the pro controller in stock since the pre-order started.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mr Phillby posted:

gently caress this thing is so versatile! I love it!

Been playing muliplayer Snipperclips and Fast RMX on the TV and in airplane mode all day now I'm going to sit up all night playing Zelda in bed.

The only real annoyance so far is working out how to effectively communicate the controls to the person using the other Joycon as they're labeled differently.
I was curious how those work, does it still use letter labels in game or just arrows like the left joycon?

That's more or less how I describe controls to people, top/bottom/left/right buttons rather than the actual labels.

Oh and Google Express/Target canceled my neon order cause it's out of stock. Can't say I'm too surprised but a bit annoying that it took 12+ hours for that to happen.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
UPS hasn't dropped off the Pro Controller yet so I've been playing Zelda with the Joy Cons and they are not bad at all. They're more comfortable in the grip but it's all very usable. I haven't noticed any desync or anything like that. If it matters, I applied the system patch (with the joycons connected) before doing anything at all.

Anyway, Switch is good, Zelda is good, Joy Cons are good.

For what it's worth, any framerate drop in Zelda has so far gone unnoticed by me. Before you rejoice, though, I typically don't notice it too much while playing games unless the framerate gets really really really low.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

lelandjs posted:

I loving love that a lot of indie PC games are coming to the Switch because I love portable hardware. I played the entirety of The Talos Principle on my phone clipped into a bluetooth controller, which was streaming the game via Moonlight from my gaming PC.

:same:

I'm unreasonably excited for mobile Stardew Valley.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
I was able to go to Fred Meyer and impulse buy a switch and Zelda at lunch, if anyone is still out there looking.

Hearing about the weird performance in TV mode is a bummer, since I never travel anywhere with games, but I suppose I can just sit at home and hold it.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

For anyone wanting both a screen protector and a lil travel case, I picked this up alongside my Switch at Best Buy last night: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-carrying-case-and-screen-protector-for-nintendo-switch/5731701.p?skuId=5731701

I didn't even realize it included a screen protector until I opened the box, and it's an official Nintendo product so it seems pretty decent. I'm sure something better will come along later on but for $20 for the case + screen protector it's a pretty nice little pack. Has room for 5 game carts and a little pouch that can hold a USB cable to charge it. Also can function as a fold-out stand, which I'm more comfortable with using than the one on the back of the system.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

fast rmx is really cool. perfect game for a 10 minute break. performance is flawless. cant figure out how to switch to kmh but now am realising that the speedometer may as well say 999 constantly

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

How/when do you get to scan Amiibo in BotW? I tried just holding a few over the sensor and it didn't seem to do anything. I know the sensor works because I used it in Shovel Knight to read and write fine already so I figure I just need a menu or something that I haven't seen yet?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Only 6 reviews on that Hori on Amazon, but some pretty damning words.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Butt Frenzy posted:

Awesome, thank you. Hooray Sunday delivery!

Get mine tomorrow!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

japtor posted:

I was curious how those work, does it still use letter labels in game or just arrows like the left joycon?

That's more or less how I describe controls to people, top/bottom/left/right buttons rather than the actual labels.

Oh and Google Express/Target canceled my neon order cause it's out of stock. Can't say I'm too surprised but a bit annoying that it took 12+ hours for that to happen.
The standard appears to be a representation of the 4 buttons with the correct one highlighted. The visual version of Top, bottom left right essentially.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Fast RMX is wonderful. TV and handheld, it's just great. Snipperclips is as cute as I wanted it to be.

I'm tired, so no Zelda till tomorrow. But that's basically my plan for the whole day. So relieved that Tesco and DPD came through and actually delivered everything!

Gonna need that sd card sooner than I thought though...

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Hell yeah this is great. I.put Zelda in set it up and did stuff. It did automatically download the patch. It gave me the option when I tried to open it. Weird.

Loging in and buying SC was the easiest its ever been to buy a nintendo thing online. Downloads are blazing compared to psn I'm used to.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

What are the pros/cons of downloading from the Japanese E-Shop? And how do you do it? Also any chance of the JP release games like Nobunaga's Ambition coming Stateside?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So Nintendo's servers still suck cocks because it's taken nearly 2 hours to download Zelda.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Waffles Inc. posted:

What are the pros/cons of downloading from the Japanese E-Shop? And how do you do it? Also any chance of the JP release games like Nobunaga's Ambition coming Stateside?

Imagine the only real cons is losing out on any MyNintendo points you would got for those games on the US store along with the menu icon and text being in Japanese.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Best Buy in westminster California has a ton of extras for sale. If you show up soon you're basically guaranteed to get one.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Went to check my mail for the BOTW PDP headphones and the UPS truck was in front of my house with lots of scanning/beeping inside. The driver handed me this stack exactly as is and I had to kick my door until my wife opened so I didn't drop anything. Her reaction was "what the gently caress, how much did you spend?!?"

Edit: unboxed

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 3, 2017

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I keep pressing B instead of A to "continue" in menus. :(

First Nintendo console since SNES.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Why Nintendo didn't make the Joycons perfectly symmetrical is baffling, they're so god drat small that even tiny hands wouldn't have issues reaching the buttons/stick if they were lower down in tablet mode.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

FireMrshlBill posted:

s

Went to check my mail for the BOTW PDP headphones and the UPS truck was in front of my house with lots of scanning/beeping inside. The driver handed me this stack exactly as is and I had to kick my door until my wife opened so I didn't drop anything. Her reaction was "what the gently caress, how much did you spend?!?"

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Nintendo switch - "what the gently caress, how much did you spend?!?"

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Feenix posted:

At least the majority of them are for the more expensive one. I've never had problems with Hori and I don't anticipate I'll have an issue with the Switch.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I used 3 days of vacation so I could play today and over the weekend. It's going to be a real kick in the balls if it shows up on Monday.

Also even if the screen scratches easily I'll still take a scratched up screen over using a screen protector. Oh no, a scratch, the resale value is ruined.

Edit: Those scratches don't even run straight vertically so there's probably some dipshittery involved that they aren't mentioning, like with the Joy-Cons popping off.

The scratches is more of an OCD thing. With tempered glass, there's not much downsides to slapping one on besides :10bux:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

lelandjs posted:

Two thoughts:

1. There doesn't appear to be a way to disable Wifi but keep Bluetooth enabled. If you put it in airplane mode with the Joycons out you get a warning to reconnect the Joycons to play. Which leads me to thought two:

2. When attached to the console, the joycons do have a physical connection to the console. Huh.
Did you enable Flight Mode from the Quick Menu? Apparently you can disable different features separately from the Settings menu.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Feenix posted:

I put one on mine before o tuened it on. Worked great. Whats the complaints? I got the one the was like $3 more.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Already annoyed by a few things like no headphone jack on the pro controller. Also I started up the Snipperclips demo using the pro controller and apparently you can't play it with the pro controller maybe I don't know? The issue was, I lost all control with the pro controller, couldn't go back to the home menu or anything. So I had to get up and remove it from the dock just to hit the stupid home button.

Pretty dumb.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Rabid Snake posted:

The scratches is more of an OCD thing. With tempered glass, there's not much downsides to slapping one on besides :10bux:

Resale value for when I upgrade to a switch lite in 2 years.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Feenix posted:

What Hori one? Link?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Waltzing Along posted:

What Hori one? Link?

https://www.amazon.com/Officially-Licensed-Screen-Protective-Filter-Nintendo/dp/B01MR725H2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
https://www.amazon.com/Officially-L...rds=hori+switch

Is this not the one?

Dock heats up and it peels away on corners.
Barely stays on.

Stuff like that...

• Locked thread