Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That's Takaharu for you. I'm glad it sounds like they maybe took his western reception into account for the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Yeah, Ninninger was 'amazing' because the first time they actually did an all-members team finisher was like Episode 30, and they only did once. Every other episode it was either 'Takaharu does it by himself' or 'Takaharu and the focus person do it themselves'

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ninninger would have been better if Kasumi were the red ranger.

but to Takaharu's credit he made me like Daigo a lot more by comparison.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

Ninninger would have been better if Kasumi were the red ranger.

but to Takaharu's credit he made me like Daigo a lot more by comparison.

That's

Sort of like a compliment.

So the original Kamen Rider is pretty goddamn insane and I love it. It's weird how you have two very different kind of kids show flavors to its early episodes.

It was always a kids show, but the early stuff is a lot more experimental and weird while also being way more serious and Like An Actual Show.

Then around the time Hongo breaks his leg and they bring in Niigo they start doing the over the top posing all the time and the Henshin call outs and the plots get way goofier and sillier, the peak of which must be 17 due to how it ends.

It starts getting more serious after that, but never quite becomes as serious as the first 10 episodes.

I do know the behind the scenes reasons for it all, I just find it quite funny to see it in real time, relatively speaking.

Also the original Rider suit looked REALLY good thanks to being made out of leather. It makes the more traditional track suit material of Niigo's suit look all the cheaper by comparison. Shame about leather being a pain in the rear end to film stunts in.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

That's

Sort of like a compliment.

I thought Daigo stretched the bounds of "how much can you build up and focus on the red before it becomes overbearing".

Then Takaharu came along and moved the goalposts, basically.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Stallion Cabana posted:

Yeah, Ninninger was 'amazing' because the first time they actually did an all-members team finisher was like Episode 30, and they only did once. Every other episode it was either 'Takaharu does it by himself' or 'Takaharu and the focus person do it themselves'

Remember in episode 6 or 7 where, instead of having a team finisher, Takaharu just took everybody else's powers and used them himself for the finisher? That was great. And by great, I mean terrible.

The new Ex-Aid was pretty good. It's nice to see that Taiga wasn't just talking poo poo to Hiiro and was actually perfectly fine after using Level 50.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Twelve by Pies posted:

Remember in episode 6 or 7 where, instead of having a team finisher, Takaharu just took everybody else's powers and used them himself for the finisher? That was great. And by great, I mean terrible.

The new Ex-Aid was pretty good. It's nice to see that Taiga wasn't just talking poo poo to Hiiro and was actually perfectly fine after using Level 50.

Ex-Aid is going pretty good places and I'm kind of sad I doubted it because Taiga finally explaining why he should be the only Kamen Rider was a lot more vaguely depressing and sad then I thought it would be. Turns out he's an rear end in a top hat but he isn't some dude with a hyper inflated sense of confidence.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

Also the original Rider suit looked REALLY good thanks to being made out of leather. It makes the more traditional track suit material of Niigo's suit look all the cheaper by comparison. Shame about leather being a pain in the rear end to film stunts in.

I always thought they should have stuck with Niigo's original suit as it made it much easier to tell the two apart whereas with the Double Riders the only difference between the suits is the glove color (in fact, I believe during the early Showa era they would alternate between the two Niigo suits randomly before finally settling on the latter version).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 2, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

I always thought they should have stuck with Niigo's original suit as it made it much easier to tell the two apart whereas with the Double Riders the only difference between the suits is the glove color (in fact, I believe during the early Showa era they would alternate between the two Niigo suits randomly before finally settling on the latter version).

2 has one stripe, 1 has two!

This only makes it even more confusing, because one of the very few differences is both low-key and backwards!

At least they seem to have stuck 2 on using the black helmet so he's clearly differenced from 1.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

As far as I am aware, they never switched between Old Niigo and Shin Niigo.

That's a super easy mistake to make though

The difference was his helmet.

Ichigo got three forms, so to speak, across the series. His original Pink eyed Blue Tinted form, the best looking one in my opinion that's black, dark green with red eyes, and his Shin form which has survived to this day with much lighter green chest, teal helmet, and silver gloves and boots. The first two forms are virtually identical, including having a leather body suit instead of the tracksuit material, just recolors, and there were times when the first version had red eyes anyways due to inconsistent effects and lighting. The Shin suit is more interesting and I'll touch on it below.

Niigo technically only got two forms- his original and his Shin form. The part that might confuse you, however, is the fact that Shin form is effectively identical to Niigo's suit. And by that I mean both Ichigo and Niigo's shin forms.

The difference between Niigo and Ichigo's original forms are pretty obvious. Niigo has stripes down his shoulders and arms, stripes down the sides of his legs, and his helmet is more colorful, with a silver stripe between the eyes. Ichigo's shin form is slightly different because it has two stripes down the arms and legs, and the helmet is teal instead of the dark green of OG Niigo.

For Niigo, the only difference between his original suit and his Shin suit is the fact that his helmet is a different color, teal, and his gloves and boots are red instead of dark green. Except, at times, they would replace Niigo's helmet with an entirely different helmet, one that was black instead of teal or the original dark green.

They were inconsistent about this, and once or twice Ichigo would end up with that helmet, but they never had Niigo go back to his original design or helmet.

In recent movies, up until the Fourze crossover, the Double Riders have had identical helmets- the Fourze movie featured the Black Helmet Niigo variant again, which I personally prefer.

I am a giant nerd about this

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Burkion posted:

I am a giant nerd
Literally everyone in this thread is, too

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

I thought Daigo stretched the bounds of "how much can you build up and focus on the red before it becomes overbearing".

Then Takaharu came along and moved the goalposts, basically.

I think the difference between daigo and takaharu is that daigo clearly loved/adored his teammates and felt like he was their equal even as the show made him take center stage.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

John McClane posted:

I think the difference between daigo and takaharu is that daigo clearly loved/adored his teammates and felt like he was their equal even as the show made him take center stage.

Yeah, this is an important distinction. Daigo was an enthusiastic guy who genuinely cared about his team (though I wasn't crazy about him being canonically flawless and soloing Deboss at the end) whereas Takaharu was an entitled brat who never really grasped the whole "team" concept (and the worst part is he was often rewarded for this), it didn't help matters that his actor kind of sucked at emoting (Note to writers: don't give a character a catch phrase unless the actor can actually pull it off, like Gentaro in Fourze for example).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 2, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So Korea is just making a sequel to Kyoryuger.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Aside from the home-grown sequel here, are Korean localizations of Sentai shows basically just sub/dub translations, or do they fully convert them into a new show like Power Rangers?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think they're dub jobs, but they're released as "Power Rangers."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This is either going to be amazingly bad, or surprisingly good. Either way, at least it'll be more interesting than 1YA.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

This is either going to be amazingly bad, or surprisingly good. Either way, at least it'll be more interesting than 1YA.

It will almost certainly be better than the Thailand original special for Kamen Rider Blade: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPPHUo-soMg&feature=related

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

gourdcaptain posted:

It will almost certainly be better than the Thailand original special for Kamen Rider Blade: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPPHUo-soMg&feature=related
That right there is a work of loving art. :allears:

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

That right there is a work of loving art. :allears:

As much as I love Kamen Rider Blade, it takes "talent" to produce something even goofier and inept than parts of the original show. Tachibana alone is a treasure trove of goofy moments. (Also see Kenzaki's inability early on to communicate without shouting.)

The Wolf Undead two-parter may be my single favorite bad episode set in all of Rider. It is disqualified from favorite bad thing period because Shin exists.

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 2, 2017

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

PMush Perfect posted:

Wait, is this referring to 100 Years After? The one with Pro Bowler Hearthrob Utchy?? That thing was wonderful.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

gourdcaptain posted:

As much as I love Kamen Rider Blade, it takes "talent" to produce something even goofier and inept than parts of the original show. Tachibana alone is a treasure trove of goofy moments.

You spelled TacheeBanner-Sun wrong.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Hey, I kind of fell out of the habit of watching Toku and the thread for a while, who's doing Ex-Aid subs right now?

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Agent Rush posted:

Hey, I kind of fell out of the habit of watching Toku and the thread for a while, who's doing Ex-Aid subs right now?

Excite

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Kyuuranger has hooked my attention, mainly due to the amazing fight scenes. And I like Garu as a character but drat guys your whole show is full of CGI why not make poor Garu CG instead of... that.

Though it's adorable that his ranger suit is fuzzy instead of metallic.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Getsuya posted:

Kyuuranger has hooked my attention, mainly due to the amazing fight scenes. And I like Garu as a character but drat guys your whole show is full of CGI why not make poor Garu CG instead of... that.

Though it's adorable that his ranger suit is fuzzy instead of metallic.

because his suit rules, emowolf rules

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Coolest character is bull dude though because he uses 'wagahai' to refer to himself and that term is reserved for the best characters.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wagahai wa Ushi de aru

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Getsuya posted:

Coolest character is bull dude though because he uses 'wagahai' to refer to himself and that term is reserved for the best characters.

Can we make this an official thread rule that only Champ Lovers are allowed here?

I don't want any confusion over who is the best Character, because it is Champ.

The closest others are Raptor and Mechanical Lifeform Josuke, because robots and mechanical life forms are the best in this show.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Real disappointed at the Hami representation in here.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Badass bull boxer from the bull galaxy pumping iron and talking like a samurai boss gets left behind to fight a whole wave of baddies by himself because the other kids know he can wipe the whole bunch with a swing of his axe course he's the best goddamn ranger this season.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The thing I have with Champ is that, like J, I think his suited form looks less strong than his regular robot form. At least, because it's Kyuranger, transformed Champ still looks bigger than the others.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Getsuya posted:

Coolest character is bull dude though because he's voiced by Akio "Big Boss" Ohtsuka

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

He's a robot that lifts weights to blow off steam. That alone is enough to make him best ranger.

For the most part, I really like the cast... except the commander. Holy crap, what a superfluous and annoying character. Get rid of him and just give Raptor twice as many lines.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It feels like the only reason he exists is to play off Raptor while the other rangers aren't around to do their shticks.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm catching up on Ex-Aid and

What kind of bullshit mood whiplash is episode 12?!

I'll be over in my corner not weeping.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm catching up on Ex-Aid and

What kind of bullshit mood whiplash is episode 12?!

I'll be over in my corner not weeping.

gird your loins because the entire series hits a pretty dark corner at that point and it is still not through it.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

gird your loins because the entire series hits a pretty dark corner at that point and it is still not through it.

A friend and I started commenting whenever Ex-Aid skips the opening, things are going to get dark.

Ex-Aid has not played the opening for a while now.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

"Dark" is not the word I would use for Ex-Aid, when we have Literally Saturday Morning Cartoon Villain Dan in his quest to make the absolute best early access open-world survival zombie game.

But it has certainly been fun. Constant upgrades every two episodes aside, the new forms have been really cool and they've been making the fights very interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the burger gashat will be sorely missed

• Locked thread