Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
It's amazing how reasonable Adams seems on TV compared to Arlene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I'm pretty sure I read an article like two days ago about how all the Northern Irish voters are disenchanted with the system and hate all the politicians. The turnout figure takes down that narrative, but is there any particular reason why turnout rose?

E: I should read the thread. I guess a different question might be how did people get the narrative so wrong.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Well there goes Nesbitt

Please for the love of got don't put Elliott back in charge

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

kustomkarkommando posted:

Well there goes Nesbitt

Please for the love of got don't put Elliott back in charge

"And here's Frank with the Weather!"
"Thanks James, nice to see you back. Well if you look at the map you will see a sea of green sweep ove.."
"gently caress YOU FRANK!".

Only Nordies will get the above.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
This has felt like such a massive waste. I am however quite happy that Alliance did so well and also that massive gobshite Mike Nesbitt has flounced off.

I was really hoping the SDLP's Joe Boyle would get a seat here (Strangford) and I gave him my second preference for the first time. That's a bit too much to hope for though and it looks like we're getting 3 DUP shits again :(

crispix fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 3, 2017

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I did like that Mike Nesbitt basically called the electorate a sectarian shower in his resignation speech :laugh:

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Whoever gets in in Foyle should have the room sing the anthem of the Russian Federation.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Sinn Fein leading last I checked but does it matter. They won't share with DUP with Arlene as leader and it doesn't look like the DUP will back down on her.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Arlene has headed home without giving an interview to the BBC. :nyd:

The Conservatives candidate in West Tyrone got 27 votes. CISTA got 373 there.

crispix fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 3, 2017

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/markdevenport/status/837789648306978818

Another reason to support the Greens imo

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

crispix posted:

CISTA got 373 there.

I went to school with the candidate for CISTA.
Decent bloke.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

also can I just say what in the hell is this thing The Guardian

Will the Sinn Fein/SDLP coalition win their game of bizarro tetris against everybody else?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
SDLP just did the DUP out of a third seat in Lagan Valley thanks to UUP transfers :getin:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

crispix posted:

SDLP just did the DUP out of a third seat in Lagan Valley thanks to UUP transfers :getin:

wait hold on

does that mean its going to be a draw

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
eagerly awaiting the introduction of mandatory gay marriage – no petition of concern now Arlene

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

wait hold on

does that mean its going to be a draw

It could be! There's still a chance the shinners will be the largest party :laugh:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

crispix posted:

It could be! There's still a chance the shinners will be the largest party :laugh:

I think the most it can be is 28/28 - Assuming two SF in East Londonderry (though the SDLP has a sub 100 lead currently). Last seat in Belfast East goes DUP, last Foyle seat goes DUP, Belfast South splits Greens 1 and DUP 1 (though the Greens have a nice lead at the minute there are incoming unionist transfer)

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 4, 2017

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
If NI was a normal functioning state SF, SDLP and the UUP would now have enough seats between them to form a governing majority and keep the crazy DUP fundamentalists out. One day maybe...

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Blut posted:

If NI was a normal functioning state SF, SDLP and the UUP would now have enough seats between them to form a governing majority and keep the crazy DUP fundamentalists out. One day maybe...

Remember Nesbitt walked out of government with SF and made a big show of it though

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

I think the most it can be is 28/28 - Assuming two SF in East Londonderry (though the SDLP has a sub 100 lead currently).

Where?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Derry does not apply to the wild hinterlands that continue to elect Gregory Campbell. Let them have it or they'll march at you

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 4, 2017

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Either way the SDLP won a seat, SF the other - so just South Belfast now. Looking like to go 1 Green, 1 DUP which would leave the final results 28 DUP, 27 SF, 12 SDLP, 10 UUP, 8 Alliance, 2 Greens, 1 TUV, 1 PBP and 1 Ind

Interesting even with a poor showing and a stagnating vote the SDLP managed not to lose a seat with the assembly being cut down by 18 which is actually a victory

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

happyhippy posted:

"And here's Frank with the Weather!"
"Thanks James, nice to see you back. Well if you look at the map you will see a sea of green sweep ove.."
"gently caress YOU FRANK!".

Only Nordies will get the above.

Nordies? Norners, surely?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Running the old d'Hondt allocation with those numbers the DUP would be entitled to three ministries, SF 2, the SDLP 1 and the UUP 1 - interestingly if the SDLP and UUP refuse their ministries Alliance would be entitled to one if they wished. Since they could also theoretically get justice on top of that if they wanted they might have some thinking to do.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nilbop posted:

Nordies? Norners, surely?

You're wildlings to us down here (anyone north of Dublin Airport)

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Ahahaha the fuckers lost the petition of concern

That alone was worth £500m, cheers Arlene

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

julian assflange posted:

You're wildlings to us down here (anyone north of Dublin Airport)

We call you Mexicans, coz you are south of the border.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

happyhippy posted:

We call you Mexicans, coz you are south of the border.

One of the random things I missed most after moving back to Ireland from living in America was Mexican food. Thankfully its really taken off in Dublin in the last 5 years, and theres loads of decent places around now. I hope you Nordies are experiencing the same.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Blut posted:

One of the random things I missed most after moving back to Ireland from living in America was Mexican food. Thankfully its really taken off in Dublin in the last 5 years, and theres loads of decent places around now. I hope you Nordies are experiencing the same.

There's a few Boojums in Belfast anyway, although their rice isn't as nice as Pablo's. The rest of NI is a desolate wasteland though as far as I understand

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
"Sham"rock hats

https://www.indy100.com/article/donald-trump-st-patricks-day-17-march-make-america-great-again-shamrock-mistake-7613416

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I spent a couple of weeks every summer holidays in Clare and the chippy in the closest townlet did pizzas with cheddar cheese on. There was a sign behind the counter asking people to refrain from using bad language on the premises and I always suspected that it was the quality of their food that necessitated it :/

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

There's a few Boojums in Belfast anyway, although their rice isn't as nice as Pablo's. The rest of NI is a desolate wasteland though as far as I understand

There's a knockoff Bojum in Derry at least

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

There's a knockoff Bojum in Derry at least

Please tell me it's actually called Bojum

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Blut posted:

It's funny, because as an American who loves Mexican food I was surprised to find that it is one of the only widely available foreign cuisines in Dublin. Burrito shops are everywhere now!

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

It's funny, because as an American who loves Mexican food I was surprised to find that it is one of the only widely available foreign cuisines in Dublin. Burrito shops are everywhere now!

Nah there's a poo poo-ton of Chinese and Italian, good few Thai places, a handful of decent Vietnamese pho places, and at least one Korean that does a savage bibimbap. And about a million sushi places.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Please tell me it's actually called Bojum

Unfortunately not

Didn't Boojum start in Belfast anyway? Its all about BBQ now anyway after yer man that started boojum sold it off to investors and opened that place in callendar street

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Why wouldn't you want to avail of such local delicacies as the pasty supper? :confused: Or champ! Potatoes but with onions in!

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The humble batterburger

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Didn't Boojum start in Belfast anyway?

Yknow I think you're right, cheers for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando