Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

"Your honor, he was trying to date Harvey."
"Divorce granted. You get all the financial resources, but you have to pay for his court-ordered therapy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I know this joke is played out but I gave Jodi a diamond for her birthday and the next day Kent send me a megabomb.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

So I've been trying to play this game only lightly-spoilered, not reading this thread. That said, can somebody tell me why my start-to-finish, sprinkler-fed crops on are growing at different speeds?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

resistentialism posted:

So I've been trying to play this game only lightly-spoilered, not reading this thread. That said, can somebody tell me why my start-to-finish, sprinkler-fed crops on are growing at different speeds?

presuming they were all planted the same day, with no speed-gro used? nope! never seen that poo poo! not even being sarcastic, no clue why that would be.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

resistentialism posted:

Sorry for asking dumb questions but:

(1) You mean different squares of the same crop are growing at different speeds, right?
(2) Are you SURE every square is covered by a sprinkler? The first sprinkler you can make covers only the 4 directly adjacent tiles, *not* the 4 diagonally adjacent.
(3) You didn't put speed-gro on anything, right?

And if for some reason you hoed a square that's covered by a sprinkler and then planted a crop, it becomes *not* watered and you have to manually water it if you want it to register as watered for that day.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Pretty sure I've kept everything equal I can think of. It's iridium sprinklers with 4 spaces between. Never used any of the speed up, either. Thought I had regular fertilizer on every square.

Sometimes I've noticed the manual watering can shooting water with a bit of a weird offset, too. Like one space down and to the right of where it should be, until I switch screens or items and it goes away.

Sometimes rarely I'm holding down the grab button and I seem to be picking up phantom crops, not sure about that.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

resistentialism posted:

Pretty sure I've kept everything equal I can think of. It's iridium sprinklers with 4 spaces between. Never used any of the speed up, either. Thought I had regular fertilizer on every square.

Sometimes I've noticed the manual watering can shooting water with a bit of a weird offset, too. Like one space down and to the right of where it should be, until I switch screens or items and it goes away.

Sometimes rarely I'm holding down the grab button and I seem to be picking up phantom crops, not sure about that.

I'd recommend going into the options and turning on the setting that shows where your tool is aiming. It's really a lifesaver, sometimes you get offset for whatever reason and the wrong patch gets watered. If the patch doesn't change color, it's not watered.

The phantom crops can be for certain plants - potatoes can sometimes give bonus crops, and most berries give a bunch per square.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

resistentialism posted:

Trying to get all of your crops of pop on the same day hurts profitability. Just be chill and let the plants do their thing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

resistentialism posted:

PC or console?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
uh doctor softboy is the best. who else would you pick? shane?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

PC or console?

PC. Pretty sure I've had a handle on everything said so far. I was just wondering if there were any especially hidden mechanics.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

resistentialism posted:

PC. Pretty sure I've had a handle on everything said so far. I was just wondering if there were any especially hidden mechanics.

Some of them might have been grown by a fairy.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Oh ya, I saw that cutscene the first year. This is second summer, though, and it's not a big clump of them.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Are you using fertilizer?
edit: I can't read.

tobeannouncd fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 2, 2017

Khorne
May 1, 2002

resistentialism posted:

Oh ya, I saw that cutscene the first year. This is second summer, though, and it's not a big clump of them.
It might have to do with whether the plot was watered the day you planted it or not. That and the fairy are the only two variables I can think of that mess with that.

edit: On second thought, I've also had this happen. So I don't know!!

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 2, 2017

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Ok, I'll pay close attention at the start of fall and see if it makes any difference.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Khorne posted:

It might have to do with whether the plot was watered the day you planted it or not. That and the fairy are the only two variables I can think of that mess with that.

Yeah I’m thinking this.

If you have plants in the ground on the last day of the previous month, the sprinklers will water them. This applies to withered plants, plants ready to harvest, and even plants that were planted on the last day of the month.

On the first of the next month, you remove the old plants and the ground remains moist. All you have to do is plant new seeds.

It’s a good strategy for things like cranberries where you need them watered on the first day of the month to maximise the number of harvests and you have a major time crunch. Even if you have to waste cheap seeds, it can be worth it.

For cranberries specifically, try to plant wheat on Summer 25 on any plot you want to put cranberries on that doesn’t already have a blueberry bush or other regrowing crop. You can harvest the wheat on Fall 1 and then all you have to do is plant the cranberries. The sprinklers will have watered the wheat even though it’s ready to harvest.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 2, 2017

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That is genius. Thank you.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Cythereal posted:

I remember seeing a post about this earlier in the thread, the only person it's possible to dance with the first year is Haley, and even then it takes some luck and planning your first year entirely around making Haley happy.

I go to the dance with Abigail the first year when I start a new game. I think Leah is also an option if you buy salads from the bar.

Now that Emily is a bachelorette you can get her to 4 hearts in time too, but I don't know if you can dance with her.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
ive definitely had plants that are smack in the middle of a 3x3 or 3x6 space that was guaranteed to be watered just mature a day late. i have no idea why it happens

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

resistentialism posted:

I've had issues with watering crops (with both cans and sprinklers) where even if plant got watered, it'll occasionally just not register despite the soil being wet. Its happened relatively frequently in my game, actually. Of like the ~230 tiles that I keep crops in, it seems like 3-8 per season get delayed by a day or two because of this.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Platystemon posted:

Yeah I’m thinking this.

If you have plants in the ground on the last day of the previous month, the sprinklers will water them. This applies to withered plants, plants ready to harvest, and even plants that were planted on the last day of the month.

On the first of the next month, you remove the old plants and the ground remains moist. All you have to do is plant new seeds.

It’s a good strategy for things like cranberries where you need them watered on the first day of the month to maximise the number of harvests and you have a major time crunch. Even if you have to waste cheap seeds, it can be worth it.

For cranberries specifically, try to plant wheat on Summer 25 on any plot you want to put cranberries on that doesn’t already have a blueberry bush or other regrowing crop. You can harvest the wheat on Fall 1 and then all you have to do is plant the cranberries. The sprinklers will have watered the wheat even though it’s ready to harvest.
I've been doing this in my current game and ended up spending a ton of money on wheat to use at the end of every season so my day 1 of the month isn't as crazy, really helps out. Usually finish my day by ~3pm instead of cheating the journal menu to stay awake past 2am rushing to finish planting/watering.

The other great thing is that I haven't actually used my watering can in over a year and have no need to upgrade my tools past gold :x

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I was going to go outdoor-garden-free this Spring but succumbed and planted 2 3x3 plots of garlic outside. I <3 my greenhouse.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Platystemon posted:

A great tip.

Thanks that is a great tip. Can't help but feel kinda stupid I never thought of that myself though. :eng99:

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

resistentialism posted:

The weird offset is because of the mouse cursor. I generally play Stardew Valley in a window, so I just have to move the cursor out of the window sometimes if I'm farming.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Is there some kind of heuristic or muscle memory I can employ to keep myself from constantly performing the wrong action on the wrong thing in the wrong direction? The control scheme is incredibly sensitive and context-sensitive and depends so much on where the cursor is relative to your avatar, which way your avatar is facing, and what you're holding in your hand. I've put like 30 hours in and I still, always, end up watering buildings, pickaxing in the wrong direction, and failing to orient myself correctly to talk to NPCs.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

horse mans posted:

Is there some kind of heuristic or muscle memory I can employ to keep myself from constantly performing the wrong action on the wrong thing in the wrong direction? The control scheme is incredibly sensitive and context-sensitive and depends so much on where the cursor is relative to your avatar, which way your avatar is facing, and what you're holding in your hand. I've put like 30 hours in and I still, always, end up watering buildings, pickaxing in the wrong direction, and failing to orient myself correctly to talk to NPCs.
AFAIK this is just a feature. Note the hover here. I also find it exceptionally difficult to aim the hoe sideways for a long-press rather than up or down.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I want to learn how to code by creating a game like Concerned Ape. But whenever I sit down to design it the scope gets too big and unwieldy. Maybe I should start on the other end and try to get a little guy to move on a screen first.

I can already tell my riverlands farm is going to run out of trees and was probably a bad idea.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

vermin posted:

I want to learn how to code by creating a game like Concerned Ape. But whenever I sit down to design it the scope gets too big and unwieldy. Maybe I should start on the other end and try to get a little guy to move on a screen first.

I can already tell my riverlands farm is going to run out of trees and was probably a bad idea.

start by cloning your favorite 8-bit game in your language of choice. games that early were very simple by necessity and have been well worn by most other game enthusiasts. you will find many resources to help you map out everything from dig dug to maze runners to mario. you will make thousands of mistakes and learn a lot. then after loving up but kinda finishing a good 2-4 projects (depending on scope) you will have the requisite experience required to go do something a little more ambitious. you probably want to go from there by thinking about how to make things a little different, not even necessarily better. just different or more free. one of my initial ideas was to make a fully featured online chess game where two peopel could just sit down and play, but allow a pre-game portion where you set up the game however you want. so if you want to start out by just knocking the rooks off the board or replacing the knights with two more bishops, go right ahead. or if you want to make something ridiculous like 2 kings and 5 black rooks go ahead. basically everyone i showed it to found a way to enjoy it, whether by loving around, starting a handicap game with a friend, using it for teaching, etc etc etc.

the reason everyone fails at games is because programming is taxing. not hard, but loving taxing. it drains your skull. that's really the hurdle you need to learn to deal with, not the actual learning to code part.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Coolguye posted:

the reason everyone fails at games is because programming is taxing. not hard, but loving taxing. it drains your skull. that's really the hurdle you need to learn to deal with, not the actual learning to code part.
Programming is (relatively) easy. The part that makes me cry is debugging. You wrote this beautiful command and now the guy is spinning around and clipping through his own foot and WHYYYYYY.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

horse mans posted:

Go into options and turn on target tile highlighting. That while always mark which square you're about to work on and might help you keep your contexts in mind.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Is there a mod to make peaches yellow?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Programming is (relatively) easy. The part that makes me cry is debugging. You wrote this beautiful command and now the guy is spinning around and clipping through his own foot and WHYYYYYY.
Debugging's easy. Just add/remove/change things until you can narrow which section is failing, work out just how it's failing, and fix it. And then discover everything's broken in three entirely new ways, go back to square 1.:suicide: What always gets me is design/architecture/planning. Should I go with this, that, or the other design choice here? Should I use an ORM, statement mapper, or just write everything to a big drat XML file? How early in the flow should I handle error checking and object initialization? Endless decisions that leave me hee-hawing like Buridan's rear end.

But yeah, programming isn't too hard once you know what you're doing, it just takes a lot of time and effort. Like, removing an engine block from a car isn't complicated, but it's hard to lift a 1/4 ton weight. Programming isn't hard, but it's complicated, so yeah, like Coolguye said, you should start with something simple that you can build up from.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Today I learned that if you are trapped behind a sleeping animal -- say it's between you and the door -- there is absolutely nothing you can do and you're stuck waiting to fall asleep in the barn. No amount of running at the animal convinces it to move.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Today I learned that if you are trapped behind a sleeping animal -- say it's between you and the door -- there is absolutely nothing you can do and you're stuck waiting to fall asleep in the barn. No amount of running at the animal convinces it to move.

Getting stuck is also possible with your child.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I think I've run through the cat a few times just by holding buttons down. I run through the wife to get into bed just because it's funny.

The real problem was putting the flute block right on the front door thinking it was something you would walk over top of, like a path. Couldn't figure out how to pick it up again.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you bring up the "transfer animals" dialog it will randomize the position of all animals in the barn. I don't know if this will work on a sleeping animal, but it has saved my bacon multiple times in mixed Pig/Keg barns.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

You can run through any animals/spouses/children/townspeople as long as you hold the button down in one direction long enough. It takes a few seconds, but eventually you clip through and can go about your business

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

CainsDescendant posted:

You can run through any animals/spouses/children/townspeople as long as you hold the button down in one direction long enough. It takes a few seconds, but eventually you clip through and can go about your business

No, I tried it in the barn, and it doesn't work with a sleeping pig or sheep. I'll try "randomize animals" next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

resistentialism posted:

My guess is that it is end-of-season soil degradation.
When a new season begins, the game will sometimes cause a square that is hoed to degrade into a regular soil square. Then, the game applies the sprinkler watering logic - so that any remaining hoes squares are watered.

If you hoe down the un-hoed dirt squares, then do your planting - but don't manually water with the watering can, you will have some crops that are delayed by one day as the game considers that crop "unwatered" so it does not apply the "grow one more day".

Thiis can be especially apparent when growing wild seeds, as picking up the plant causes the soil to degrade.

At least, that is my understanding. This is why having it rain on the first of the season when replanting a sprinkler field is good.

hope this helps