Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Sundae posted:

Very true, but sometimes that's all you can get people to play. Either I'm Bad With Friends, or it's impossible to get people to sit and learn Dominion or Pandemic.

Just bring out Risk or Chutes and Ladders if they want to play games for babby.

Real men play Diplomacy. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Nail Rat posted:

Not that I think any of these games are the greatest game ever, but man people who play board/card games a lot really hate board/card games somehow.

People dislike Bad Examples of things they like. Not really surprising. I could post about my 401k's 3% expense ratio funds in BFC and we'd all be shocked and disgusted. I could tell my girlfriend about them and she'd say "why do you get so mad about it if you say you like finance"

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Numbers aren't really subjective like games though. I can't just have an opinion of what my net worth is

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Nail Rat posted:

Numbers aren't really subjective like games though. I can't just have an opinion of what my net worth is

Our president says otherwise

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

monster on a stick posted:

Real men play Diplomacy. :black101:

The game you get to play with friends once.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

Our president says otherwise

:thurman:

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
BWM is when they decided not to go with the isotropic Dominion and went with their dumb implementation of Dominion to monetize online.

I would have paid $$ a month just to pay on Isotropic.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Nail Rat posted:

I agree with this statement but don't see the relevance at all. I'm sure we agree that people have stronger opinions on their interests than on things they don't care about, though?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Can't you play dominion online for free? Game rules aren't copyrightable, at least in the US...

Pretty sure the isotropic guy said no.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Nail Rat posted:

Numbers are always nondeterministic in this real life

There is a radical inequality in nondeterminism

Like, even hundreds-of-years-old-and-rock-stable currencies like the pound can have discontinuities over political brexit poo poo

Sure, the number is a number but in order for that number to have worth you have to, eg, be able to spend it, be assured that it won't inflate much between now and when you spend it, make sure that facts about the world don't conspire to make it so that you can't buy the poo poo you're looking for before you're buying it

I mean, the system underlying it is very developed but very old and occasionally very fragile

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is Dominion the one where you play different ideologies or something? I think I played it once.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

curufinor posted:

Numbers are always nondeterministic in this real life

There is a radical inequality in nondeterminism

Like, even hundreds-of-years-old-and-rock-stable currencies like the pound can have discontinuities over political brexit poo poo

Sure, the number is a number but in order for that number to have worth you have to, eg, be able to spend it, be assured that it won't inflate much between now and when you spend it, make sure that facts about the world don't conspire to make it so that you can't buy the poo poo you're looking for before you're buying it

I mean, the system underlying it is very developed but very old and occasionally very fragile

:350:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
More like bored games, right?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

BWM/BWCG (card games)

Buying Cards Against humanity as a DINK couple that never has friends over and doesn't drink anymore (a necessary part of cards against humanity)

Used it twice.

My best friend's wife was one of the people who bought exploding kittens off of kickstarter, it's a really stupid game and once you go over the rules for 15 minutes, the play gets really lame. At least with cards against humanity I got to hear my Mother In Law say all kinds of curse words :3: For a little old lady from Louisiana, she sure has a way of delivering them.

I guess giving up booze is GWL and GWM. That's my humblebrag for the year.

E: Pathfinder is the poo poo and some of the best memories of my life were made as "Trapper Dan" :black101:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Cards Against Humanity is responsible for the hardest I've ever laughed in my life.

Playing it with people you don't know very well is a goddamn minefield though. I've been in groups where the most sexist and racist poo poo is getting thrown out there, but someone played the Six Million Jews card and that night was OVER

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Cards Against Humanity is responsible for the hardest I've ever laughed in my life.

Playing it with people you don't know very well is a goddamn minefield though. I've been in groups where the most sexist and racist poo poo is getting thrown out there, but someone played the Six Million Jews card and that night was OVER

I had someone unironically propose CAH for a work offsite activity.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Special Rule: Most benign answer wins

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Accretionist posted:

Special Rule: Most benign answer wins
So that's what the Swooping card is for.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

My mom asked me to bring to Thanksgiving that one funny card game that's about fingerbanging and other stuff.

Yea no thanks mom.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Dunno if it has been brought up, but CFPB.gov has a treasure trove of public complaints between people and lenders. There is some depressing stories, but it give one a look at how evil the system can be as well.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Dunno if it has been brought up, but CFPB.gov has a treasure trove of public complaints between people and lenders. There is some depressing stories, but it give one a look at how evil the system can be as well.

Find some good ones. We desperately need a diversion from board game chat and I'm on my phone right now and can't be the hero we need.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
And here I was just randomly naming two games. :shrug:

I have no friends. Board games are a lie.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
Everyone just play Flash Point.

Robo Rally is the game your friends will only play with you once :(

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Find some good ones. We desperately need a diversion from board game chat and I'm on my phone right now and can't be the hero we need.

Ooh, maybe a few pages from now we ought to take a revisit to the security clearance appeals page if there hasn't been one recently.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

As an intern at a tech company, I participated in CAH as a work offsite activity. It was very awkward despite the drinking and the game slowed to a halt once everyone's hand was just things that were too offensive to actually play in front of coworkers.

Also one of my coworkers didn't speak enough English to understand any of the cards and was constantly looking things up, and occasionally tried to ask us what things were because "sharting" isn't in too many foreign language dictionaries.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

crazysim posted:

Ooh, maybe a few pages from now we ought to take a revisit to the security clearance appeals page if there hasn't been one recently.

quote:

Applicant had debts discharged in bankruptcy in 2007. Since then, she has accumulated 37 delinquent accounts totaling more than $58,000, which are unpaid. She intentionally failed to disclose those delinquent debts when she completed her security clearance application. She did not provide sufficient evidence to mitigate the security concerns under Guideline F, financial considerations or Guideline E, personal conduct. Clearance is denied. CASE NO: 14-03943.h1
http://www.dod.gov/dodgc/doha/industrial/14-03943.h1.pdf

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
edit: beaten

more security clearance fails please

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

BraveUlysses posted:

edit: beaten

more security clearance fails please

quote:

Applicant attributed her financial problems generally to being periodically unemployed and recently added the fact that she is now a single mother. She offered no explanations as to why she had so many automobile loans, credit cards, and charge accounts with clothing stores and jewelry stores. She did explain why she had multiple cellular telephone accounts for the benefit of various family members, but she failed to demonstrate what actions she has taken to obtain the necessary funds from them to pay her accounts. Applicants delinquent student loans were placed into forbearance until December 31, 2015. Applicant has offered no documentary evidence of a good-faith effort to resolve any of her other delinquent debts. She essentially ignored them, and seemingly continues to do so. When she was still employed, she had a monthly budget deficit of minus $211, but now that she is unemployed and has a new child, her financial situation has deteriorated. There appear to be clear indications that Applicant's financial problems are not under control. Her actions under the circumstances confronting her do cast doubt on her current reliability, trustworthiness, and good judgment. Eligibility is denied. CASE NO: 12-11067.h1
http://www.dod.gov/dodgc/doha/industrial/12-11067.h1.pdf

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

quote:

Applicant—in reaction to learning of his wife’s infidelity—demonstrated questionable judgment by engaging in a pattern of odd if not bizarre conduct during 2002–2004 that, while falling short of the criminal offense of attempt, consisted of preparatory steps (for example, buying a firearm and digging graves) to carry out the murder of his wife’s paramour.

quote:

Buying the firearm was part of a revenge fantasy of taking action against his spouse’s paramour that preoccupied Applicant for the next couple of years. In addition to buying the firearm, it included grave digging (two graves located in the woods), buying a cutting tool, and buying a canvas to wrap the body.

Applicant’s digging took place, weather permitting, during the months of about May–September on Saturdays when his spouse was at work. His spouse was aware of his digging activity in general because he bought a collapsible shovel for the task and he would put his dirt-covered clothing in the laundry.

Applicant was careful in selecting a site in the woods where he thought his grave-digging activity would not be detected. Likewise, he brought along a book about fossils in the local region to use as a cover story in case he had to explain his digging. Toward the end of the first summer in 2002, he had the impression that someone had discovered the hole, and so he found a new location in the same woods and began digging a second grave. His digging followed the same pattern in 2003 and 2004, when it ended.

quote:

His activities were not isolated, short-term events, but were sustained and planned actions (for example, using the book as a potential cover story). His conduct, even though it took place some years ago, continues to impugn his trustworthiness and good judgment. The same may be said of his masturbation in locations where one may not expect privacy and there is a risk of exposure.

quote:

This case is decided against Applicant.

http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/doha/industrial/09-04014.h1.pdf

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Here's the site:http://www.dod.gov/dodgc/doha/industrial/2015.html

Double posting for this choice entry:

quote:

Case Number: 14-04839.h1

Financial; Personal Conduct

12/11/2015

Applicant did not mitigate security concerns raised by his past-due debts. He deliberately ignored his financial obligations to finance a lifestyle he could not otherwise afford. He attempted to mislead the Government about his finances during the background investigation. His past-due debts, the circumstances under which they arose, and his dishonesty raise concerns about his eligibility for continued access to classified information. Clearance is denied. CASE NO: 14-04839.h1

Guy owns a million dollar company, takes home $125k a year, and is in hock up to his eyeballs. Owes $110k to the IRS alone.

:stare: Wow...

BigDave fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 4, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hoooooooly poo poo. This is an amazing find.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

:staredog:

My coworker was denied for a graffiti arrest :lol:

Mantle
May 15, 2004

How did this fantasy even come up under investigation?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mantle posted:

How did this fantasy even come up under investigation?

100% self-inflicted. WHY WOULD YOU VOLUNTARILY DIVULGE THIS?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

I want to know more about free bottles of herb infused rum.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

100% self-inflicted. WHY WOULD YOU VOLUNTARILY DIVULGE THIS?

The questioning may have involved a polygraph and many leading, embarrassing questions.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

CitizenKain posted:

Easy, someone comes in to complain about their phone not working, they hand it across the desk to the clerk and then its gone. They aren't going to send a person to get it of course, but if someone gets a text from verizon to come to the store to work out their bill, they'll do all the work for you.

I would definitely not want to be the minimum wage employee responsible for tricking people into getting their phones repossessed

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

This isn't as bad as some of the security clearance ones but after the third time my jaw physically dropped I knew I needed to post it here. The whole thing is lengthy but here's some high points.

https://theringer.com/postmates-caviar-los-angeles-32e0edfb4c06#.aniyexhlk

quote:

And please understand: There have been a fair few orders. We’ve lived in Los Angeles for 1,254 days — and we’ve ordered food from Postmates, Caviar, or LAbite 705 times.

quote:

Adam and I are among that customer base now, though we once lived a more traditional delivery life. During our New York days we were aware that things called “Grubhub” and “Seamless” existed, but we never really considered what those services had to offer. We were creatures of habit. Though we dabbled with FreshDirect come grocery time, we remained content with ordering breakfast, lunch, and dinner from our neighborhood spots. If a restaurant was outside of our delivery zone, we’d eat there rarely or not at all, based on a delicate calculus of whether our desire to sample certain goods or our aversion to putting on real pants proved more indomitable at a given moment.

Local dining establishments became key parts of the fabric of our lives. I’m certain that during our three-and-a-half years together in Hell’s Kitchen, I saw the delivery folks from the regrettably since-shuttered Delta Grill more than I saw every member of my immediate family combined. During our year-and-a-half stint in Battery Park City, we spent more time asking Zucker’s to make the turkey bacon on our breakfast bagels extra crispy than we did planning our wedding (much to my mother’s chagrin). We ordered often, and we found comfort in our routines, yet we longed for the ability to stretch further afield without physically stretching beyond our living room. In New York, delivery made a big city feel small.

In Los Angeles, delivery makes a big city feel boundless; though we didn’t discover that right away. What we discovered on our first night in the City of Angels, at the tail end of September 2013, was fear. We moved into our downtown temporary corporate housing and began dialing nearby joints only to learn that few restaurants were open at what any transplanted New Yorker would consider a reasonable hour and that fewer still delivered. We’d uprooted our lives in pursuit of my dream job, but had we done so at the expense of easily attainable pizza? Eventually we stumbled upon an unmemorable corner cafe willing to bring me a bagel. It tasted like sadness. I hugged my cat, Halo. Adam resolved to find a solution the next day.

quote:

Part of the reason my colleagues are so concerned about our delivery habits is because we frequently have some version of the following exchange:

Well-meaning colleague: You’ve got to try Restaurant Whateveritiscalled.

Me: Oh, that’s one of our favorites! Had it just the other night.

WMC: Did you have any trouble parking?

Me: The only person who had to park was our Postmates driver.

quote:

I recognize that this is not normal behavior, but it’s become normal to me in part because it’s not a purely Epicurean pursuit. We live in a labyrinthian apartment complex that’s defeated its share of drivers, yielding a few “Please come to the front gate” submissions and more calls and texts begging for instructions. Adam is always the one fielding the calls, always the one throwing on flip-flops to rescue the misguided. Like any great love, our affair with food delivery apps has its pitfalls, but when we pop open the lid on the bucatini from Jon & Vinny’s (from which we’ve ordered 42 times, third most among L.A. establishments) it’s a love that’s still too sweet to abandon.

I had no trouble abandoning my post at Ye Rustic Inn in Los Feliz following a post-work gathering in 2015, deciding the moment I climbed into my car that I wanted more of the chicken wings. Did I walk back in and grab a dozen to go? I think you know me better than that by now, dear reader. I called Adam and asked him to look up the bar on Postmates. He ordered immediately, the delivery man barely trailing me on the way home. We’ve ordered 12 times since.

Sometimes, we want to wash down our meals with a snack, which is how we’ve come to place 10 orders from Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams in Los Feliz. The near-daily sunshine is one of the chief joys of life in Los Angeles, where ice cream is a year-round reality instead of an occasional indulgence. We haven’t sampled them yet, but I hear good things about Milk, and Sweet Rose Creamery, and Carmela, and I look forward to one day asking Adam to tap his phone a few times so that I can receive a carton of their finest frozen goods. There’s something soothing about knowing that in this city, thanks to this technology, there’s so much instantly available to me and yet still so much more to explore.

For now, though, we’re partial to Jeni’s, which Postmates allows us to treat like our corner scoop shop even though it’s 6.1 miles away. The listeria history might scare away some would-be patrons, the threat of meltage the rest. But not us: We’re trying to bring every bit, and every bite, of this massive metropolis into our kitchen, and so we order at least six pints every time.

If you’re wondering why we don’t just fetch our ice cream from the grocery store like almost everyone else, well: I haven’t told you about our Instacart habit yet.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

IllegallySober posted:

This isn't as bad as some of the security clearance ones but after the third time my jaw physically dropped I knew I needed to post it here. The whole thing is lengthy but here's some high points.

https://theringer.com/postmates-caviar-los-angeles-32e0edfb4c06#.aniyexhlk

What the gently caress?

:allbuttons:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Volmarias posted:

The questioning may have involved a polygraph and many leading, embarrassing questions.

Also in general lying is a much worse offense than the offense itself in the eyes of the people that need to trust you with valuable information. See the people denied clearances not because they did drugs or had felonies or debt or bad associations in the past, but lied about them. This guy may have been hoping this fell under that umbrella.

It just so happens that the Feds are ALSO worried about signs of impaired judgment or compromising info, which plotting to murder your wife's paramour and rubbing one out at work or in your car definitely falls under.

I must say that was a surprise ending though, some real M Night Shyalaman poo poo out of left field :stare:

• Locked thread