Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

99th

Keep doing what you're doing. If the engineers finish digging, grab the wire and pull it into the forest, and help them dig there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

my dad posted:

No, the BEF isn't hitting St C, reread their orders. And you really don't want to cause a clusterfuck of nighttime orders jumble. Our guys already can't find their own trousers.

But I can't tell you nothing no more, so do what you want. :cheeky:

Well no, we can't.

Division can't change orders without permissions from the corps commander...

e: well, not without serious penalties, at least.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 3, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
6 div, keep on keeping on.

Ugh, this chateau is so drafty.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

General Mon Pere, Command of the Cavalry Reserve

Entendez-vous dans les campagnes
Mugir ces féroces soldats?
Ils viennent jusque dans vos bras
Égorger vos fils, vos compagnes!

Mort au Boche! Vive la France! En Avant!

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

my dad posted:

Yup. They still have dudes there and nobody was ordered to garrison the town. :munch:

e: On the bright side, I do still have orders to pursue. :v:

That's a little unclear, boss. Your orders to tell you to destroy all visible enemies, but that's contradictory with your orders to move on after taking 4P.

my dad posted:

Crunch: Deploy the cavalry 3-4 inches east of the western edge of my given deployment zone, as compact as possible. (deploying at the very edge and with 24 inches of movement leaves them just short of the town, so I'm keeping a bit of extra distance due to vision advantage) Head for Quatreprouts, adopting a formation 2 ranks deep with the commander chit front and center, MG and artillery in the back stopping to provide support as needed when the enemy is spotted. Advance directly towards Quatreprouts, and eliminate all enemy presence there via judicious application of cavalry saber.

Once all enemies in Quatreprouts are removed, proceed down the road (NB: In combat formation, not marching formation) towards Saint Croissant, if possible assemble the formation 6-8 inches away from the town, and then charge and eliminate all the defenders.

Stance:
Always charge.
Break formation to attack the enemy as directly as possible and destroy all visible enemies before proceeding with orders.
Pursue routing enemies.
Fight to the last man and the last horse.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I guess we'll see how Trin interprets that. Should be fun. :munch:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
No change in my orders; coordinating a nighttime attack on St C would certainly be difficult, but may be useful if we want to save the cavalry. If Mon Pere doesn't manage to attack St C in this phase, we can maybe try to get someone to help him next phase.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

xthetenth posted:

A copy of whichever play it is (I think Shakespierre or whatever it is) it takes to understand what that British guy was talking about a "band of brothers" for

In that order.

Thanks.

Henry V - probably not so suitable for a French general to say to his troops on the eve of battle.

https://youtu.be/680NlRI3v2I

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

175th Provisional Orders
Tehan's internet is down and asked me to post on his behalf

No change in orders. Keep proceeding to set up in the formation.

Same standing orders apply.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

52e Provisional Orders

No change in orders, keep fortifying position.

Same standing orders.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

lenoon posted:

Henry V - probably not so suitable for a French general to say to his troops on the eve of battle.

https://youtu.be/680NlRI3v2I

Yep, St. Crispin's Day speech is a good one, and the sort of thing I could see a British officer making reference to as a faintly smug olive branch.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I've read dozens of conscription tribunal minutes where old fat men far from the front try to use "for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother be he ne'er so vile this day shall gentle his condition" to force men into the grinder.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

lenoon posted:

I've read dozens of conscription tribunal minutes where old fat men far from the front try to use "for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother be he ne'er so vile this day shall gentle his condition" to force men into the grinder.

That's a whole lot less fun than something along the lines of:

"Pleasure to meet you and fight with you, General. We fought like a band of brothers up on that hill."
"Erm, you do realize that's a reference to Agincourt, sir?"

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Général de Division Bacarruda

97th Brigade -- Leave two companies to hold Quatrepots. It looks like the cavalry will be moving on... They can rejoin the brigade on Dejeunner at daybreak.

--

Runner Priority
1-97th

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 4, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I thought we were not allowed to split our brigade like that?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: The adjudication begins...

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

I thought we were not allowed to split our brigade like that?

We did it once with the 97th. I figured I might as well try it again.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bacarruda posted:

We did it once with the 97th. I figured I might as well try it again.

That was with artillery though.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
As I understand it, all the companies have to be moving, or all the companies have to be defending. Can't detach companies from the brigade. Except attached companies, such as cavalry, artillery, or engineers.

Whether this is to help Trin's sanity, or to emulate rigid WW1 military hierarchies or both, nevertheless, we can't detach rifle companies to act independently of the brigade.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bag1gUxuU0g

Turn 30: 2130
French initiative

The 6th Cavalry continues trying to find Faibleimpot.

The 52nd continues trying to find its way through the Bois de Baguette.

The 97th continues trying to find Dejeuner Ridge.

Mon Pere's 1st Cavalry continues trying to find the Germans who fled Quatreprouts, and tracks them down with ease. They're still suppressed and all are automatically killed without being able to fight back. The howitzer up on the hill fires again.

The BEF forms up again and about-turns to head to the crossroads south of Saint Croissant.

Turn 31: 2200
German initiative

The 175th is finally beginning to find its bearings up on Dejeuner.

The BEF marches.

The surviving men of the 6th Cavalry make a joint pact to mention none of the details of what happened this night, so long as they find Faibleimpot in the end.

Mon Pere gathers his men and follows the BEF. The howitzer falls silent.

The 97th is still trying to find its way.

Good news: The 52nd has finally managed to sort out which way is west, and takes up position.

Bad news: This requires it to move more than 4". When they arrive at their positions, they soon see four German companies heading south-west. Then they see German guns opening fire on them.

Then they see German machine guns opening fire on them from the road opposite.

Then they are reduced to their auto-breakoff point and will retreat next turn, if they're able. As a consolation, the survivors don't take any rifle fire, nor do they have targets within range to fire at.

Only one of your guns was close enough to receive the spotting news in time to fire on this turn. If any of them have visible targets next turn...

Turn 32: 2230
German initiative

The 6th Cav finds Faibleimpot and dispatches its runner.

The 52nd flees to find a better hole.

The 97th, er...the 97th now knows where it is!

The BEF is not down'earted yet.

Neither is Mon Pere.

Turn 33: 2300
French initiative

The 52nd takes shelter in the Bois de Tigre.

The BEF is still not down'earted.

The 6th Cavalry settles into defensive positions and starts getting its story straight.

The 97th and the 175th have nearly just about sorted themselves out on Dejeuner Ridge.

Mon Pere forms up his men for the next charge.

Morale here, at least, is sky high.

Turn 34: 2330
French initiative

The only thing that happens on this turn is that the BEF wish their allies "Bone chance, mongsewer!" as the cavalry trots off into the night, looking for trouble.

Turn 35: MIDNIGHT
French initiative

Your runner picks his way across Dejeuner Ridge.

Mon Pere runs into a single German company guarding the road and sweeps it aside; it retreats suppressed.

New day. New tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB2Ad04mukI

Turn 36: 0030
French initiative

Mon Pere spurs his horse on, attempting to run down the tripwire, galloping towards Saint Croissant.

And this is what they see.

The artillery opens fire, and horses and men go tumbling down to join them. Then the machine guns take their turn.

Only Mon Pere is left. But he's still there, and he rides on into the night.

Turn 37: 0100
French initiative

The battlefield falls silent again. There is no news of Mon Pere.

:siren: The next deadline is TOMORROW, Saturday March 4th, at 7pm GMT.

Your runner will arrive at Clemenceau on Turn 38; when the divisional commanders telephone to General Lyautey, it will take some time to be connected. He will then inform you that the 75% casualty limit has been lifted, but that you must now act as you see fit. The battle will end in 24 turns, reckoned from the start of Turn 39 (that's Turn 63).

You are now limited to having one brigade attempt to change its orders every 4 turns, and it will do so with severe penalties.

vvv Dawn is at 0700 vvv

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 3, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Jesus christ st croissant

Edit: Those "at all costs" orders are interesting. Worst case scenario, they got them too, so we're looking at a bloodbath in St C. If they dont surrender soon, we can assume thats the case.

24 turns for us, anyone know when their runner got to safety? We know we have less than 24 turns.

When is dawn? Will we have enough time to attack then, or are we doing night assault?

Loel fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 3, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
At this point we just adopt a creeping bombardment and kill everything outside of Saint Croissant. We have more artillery pieces on one flank then they have in their entire army.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Given the current positions and limitations, I don't think we have any real options at St. C other than the slow artillery creep or the stalemate, and I think they're in one of two cases. Either they're going to sit on St. C or they need Qprouts and are willing to push on it. I don't see them having any other objective that'll compel them to move. We might decide to be opportunists with map control (who wants to send me on a comedy cable cutting tour through the north of the map?), or just the heavy bombardment and see what we can get with a relatively low risk strategy.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 3, 2017

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

:stonk:

Provisional Orders for 52e Brigade

Start digging trenches, don't stop until we're so goddamn deep down we can send a runner to the ANZAC for reinforcements.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

BEF and the reserves are going to be proper dug in by dawn, aren't they?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They have given up on anything other then defense. Let us reward this cowardice with a never ending barrage of shells.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
It's currently 1am. We cannot make expect to make any attacks, and should limit ourselves to consolidating our lines.

If the Germans do not attack us during the night, we are in a good position to bombard their positions. However, because they are likely to spend the night entrenching, we won't be able to see their troops in the morning, unless we send a force to engage in rifle fire (Please do not bayonet charge units that we want to bombard).

However, it's possible that the Germans will attack us at night. They have the advantage in terms of raw brigade power, they have 3 bolstered brigades available in one spot. Our brigades are more spread out.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

So, given our knowledge of Boche troops dispositions from earlier, I don't think these are fresh brigades. In fact, I think the Boche may have abandoned Baguette like so.

How can we test this? Only blood, unfortunately. If they really have abandoned Baguette, 6th division can be in a good position in the morning to systematically bombard their positions outside St. C

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Might mean the trenches on pastuer are empty as well. Maybe a right flank, hit their arty?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
RIP horsies. BEF should try not to be in MG range ere the rising of the sun.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

It looks like they expected to take quatreprouts and St. acroissants, and abandon the rest of the map to turn them into strongholds. Those are the brigades you've indicated. There may be actual reinforcements in the Pasteur trenches though.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

AbortRetryFail posted:

It looks like they expected to take quatreprouts and St. acroissants, and abandon the rest of the map to turn them into strongholds. Those are the brigades you've indicated. There may be actual reinforcements in the Pasteur trenches though.

I doubt they'd still be guarding Pasteur after seeing so many of our brigades peel off towards the West. If Boche reinforcements come, it will be during the night or the crack of dawn.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
A fitting end to crazy old Mon Pere.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Since I'm very, very dead, I'm officially done with this round, and will not participate in this match until it ends. Best of luck, guys.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
some say his ghost rides around Saint Croissant to this day, looking for the 75% of his body that was shot off

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

some say his ghost rides around Saint Croissant to this day, looking for the 75% of his body that was shot off

Mon Pere the headless corps commander
France's bravest son

They can still see his headless body charging St. Croissant
In the muzzle flash of Boche's machine gun

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary
So, with the big boss dead, who are we going to replace him with?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Sixkiller posted:

So, with the big boss dead, who are we going to replace him with?

I's the biggest and the fightiest!

(TBK and Barracuda should play rock paper scissors or maybe Slim Jim should get voluntold, they're the three that are the most in tune with the high level planning except maybe me and I'm busy chilling in Faibleimpot, although Loel does a lot of our analysis)

OOC: I vacillate way too much, I have no stomach for decisive action and I'm tired out of my skull.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 4, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

K, some rough sketches since its dark

Current situation. They are bunkered down in the center, our right line is stable, our left is reconsolidating.

Current orders. Very simple. They know where we are coming, we know where they are. We march across open terrain against prepared positions and hope our numbers overwhelm. Very WW1.

Alternate orders. While our left flank is consolidating, our right leaves our trenches, walks to the enemy rear, and sets up.

At dawn, our surprise attack from two sides. Moving at night is risky, but the payoff might be worth it. Either way, we can assume we have ~10 turns to move before dawn, and ~10 turns to take St C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I don't adore the night march both because of the potential risks of night movement and also because it splits us really badly. It's nice to have Croissant surrounded and all, but we don't really have the force to push them out, and if they reinforce in mass, we might be in real trouble since St. Croissant would become a gap in our lines and potentially get us encircled on the ridge. Also it'd split us badly if they decide to push out. I kind of doubt they'll do that now though, but it is a risk.

• Locked thread