Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Sen Coons: There are transcripts that provide very helpful, very critical insights into whether or not Russian intelligence & senior Russian political leaders including Vladimir Putin were cooperating, were colluding with the Trump campaign at the highest levels to influence the outcome of our election. And if that information is stonewalled or hidden away and if we are not able to get that on the senate intelligence committee, house intelligence committee then I think that has real consequences for our democracy. So I would urge the FBI director to make sure that the counter intelligence investigation is completed, is taken to its furthest conclusion and then all the products of that investigation are appropriately shared with the intelligence committees.

Mitchell: Let me just clear up very briefly, do such transcripts exist? Is that what you’re saying?

Sen Coons: I have not seen them, I believe they exist.

Video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Since we were talking about appearances earlier, Donnie still does the loving scotch tape tie thing.

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/837795553543131136

Thanks Failing New York Times!

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/837792207562244096

So here are some ideas --

Boring Outcome: Trump is a retard braggart and forgets all about this after jacking off all weekend long at Mar a lago.

Comedic Outcome: Initiates an investigation, dick-all comes of it.

Not-so-comedic Outcome: jails every single member of the Democratic party at the federal level and kicks off Civil War 2: Nuclear Boogaloo.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Zeroisanumber posted:

This is not just an expensive, massive target for thousands of Chinese cruise missiles. We're doing something important here.

We've got about six more years of Chinese anti ship missiles being very bad.

SwampDonkey posted:

Mitchell: Let me just clear up very briefly, do such transcripts exist? Is that what you’re saying?

Sen Coons: I have not seen them, I believe they exist.

Video

Should have ended with: "I can't comment on their existence" instead of a dumb 'I believe'

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/BBCDanielS/status/837716268929191937

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Don't know whether or not there is any collision with Russia, but its obvious that they are actively and aggressively conducting IO on the US. Much of that is lost in the whole "Russia didn't lose the election for the dems" retort and the fact that IO isn't really known outside the military. They're so far ahead of us in this fight and they're very proficient as seen in Ukraine and else where. Good read on it, haven't seen many outlets talk about IO: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/03/03/russia-heats-up-its-infowar-with-the-west.html

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

:captainpop: Certainly didn't see that one coming, holy lol

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
^Same :lol:

facialimpediment posted:

It's that cheeto, but it's really, 100% no-poo poo, the @POTUS display picture: https://petapixel.com/2017/01/21/president-trumps-official-portrait/

ORANGE STEEL

Godholio fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 4, 2017

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

So let's jump back in time a few weeks- what's Milo up to these days now that he's been disowned by the right? Sucking dong to pay the bills yet? more so than before at least?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Let's not talk about the fascist attention whore please.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/837792207562244096

So here are some ideas --

Boring Outcome: Trump is a retard braggart and forgets all about this after jacking off all weekend long at Mar a lago.

Comedic Outcome: Initiates an investigation, dick-all comes of it.

Not-so-comedic Outcome: jails every single member of the Democratic party at the federal level and kicks off Civil War 2: Nuclear Boogaloo.

Likely outcome: It's a TTT (Trump Twitter Tantrum) and he's not going to do anything about it.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Zeroisanumber posted:

This is not just an expensive, massive target for thousands of Chinese cruise missiles. We're doing something important here.

Can the Dems collaborate with the Chinese to make this happen while he's on the boat? Fair turnaround and all that.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Mambold posted:

Can the Dems collaborate with the Chinese to make this happen while he's on the boat? Fair turnaround and all that.

A little less collateral damage perhaps? :stonk:

I mean sure it would be a great kickoff to a mass opening of canned sunshine worldwide but drat. There's 4600 crew on that ship.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 4, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Let's not talk about the fascist attention whore please.

Woh pump your breaks man he's still our president.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LingcodKilla posted:

Woh pump your breaks man he's still our president.

Christ dude come on

It's spelled "brakes"

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Donnie likes American battleships so much he wants to scrap the loving poo poo out of them.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/03/02/trump-military-build-up-threatens-to-cut-u-s-coast-guard-budget-cuts-department-of-homeland-security/

quote:

Trump’s Military Buildup Threatens to Gut U.S. Coast Guard

While U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday touted a dramatic buildup of the U.S. military aboard the Navy’s newest carrier, the USS Gerald Ford, his government quietly unveiled plans to gut the the U.S. Coast Guard.

The Office of Management and Budget is targeting roughly 10 percent budget cuts for the tiny and always cash-strapped military branch. One Republican lawmaker now warns those cuts could cripple the under-resourced and overstretched Coast Guard’s efforts to protect 95,000 miles of American coastline and U.S. interests abroad, playing an especially big role in interdicting drug smugglers.

Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.), member of the House Armed Services Committee, railed at Trump’s budget plans.

“It’s nonsensical to pursue a policy of rebuilding the Armed Forces while proposing large reductions to the U.S. Coast Guard budget,” he wrote in a letter to the president Thursday. Cutting the Coast Guard’s budget would “serve to the detriment of U.S. national security and create exposures that will most certainly be exploited by transnational criminal networks and other dangerous actors,” he wrote.

The $1.3 billion cut to the U.S. Coast Guard in fiscal year 2018 includes a directive to scrap the building of a $500 million ship, the newest National Security Cutter (NSC).

There’s just one problem: The ship’s production is already underway. Shipbuilding company Huntington Ingalls announced it would build the latest cutter, the Coast Guard’s ninth, on Dec. 30. And now it, and its shipbuilding yard in Pascagoula, Mississippi, are adrift as the OMB directive came without warning.

“The impact of OMB’s direction to the Coast Guard is unknown at this time. We have already purchased long lead materials and have begun pre-production,” a spokesperson for Huntington Ingalls told Foreign Policy.

The Coast Guard is part of the Department of Homeland Security, but it’s still the fifth branch of the military.

Though it’s the smallest of the military branches, the Coast Guard punches above its weight, particularly on issues of importance to the Trump administration including illegal immigration, protecting U.S. borders, and drug interdiction. (For example, the Coast Guard seized 144.8 metric tons of cocaine in 2015 alone.) It guards the entire American coastline with a total force of 56,000 — just over the size of the New York City police force.

“We will continue to work with the administration to ensure that Coast Guard funding requirements are fully understood,” Lt. Cmdr. Dave French, a spokesperson for the Coast Guard, told FP. French declined to comment further on the proposed cuts, saying the Coast Guard was too early in the budget planning process to offer anything further.

And the Coast Guard has for years been trying to carry out its mission with aging equipment, making any budget cuts even more painful.

“The big Coast Guard challenge over the last 15-20 years is it’s been essentially operating with legacy ships that are 40, 50, 60 years old,” one congressional staffer familiar with the issue told Foreign Policy.

The new cutter in the crosshairs is part of a new flotilla meant to replace cutters that have been in use since the 1960s. “The acquisition of the NSC is vital to performing DHS missions in the far-offshore regions, including the harsh operating environment of the Pacific Ocean, Bering Sea and Arctic,” Coast Guard Commandant Adm. Paul Zukunft said in a statement.

For patrolling both the North and the South Poles, the U.S. Coast Guard has one heavy icebreaker, commissioned in 1976, and one medium icebreaker commissioned in 2000. Russia, by comparison, has 40, with 11 more in development. The Coast Guard is counting on getting more money — not less — to build a replacement for the nearly mothballed Polar Star.

“The highways of the Arctic are icebreakers,” Sen. Dan Sullivan (R-Alaska) said in January. “Russia has superhighways, and we have dirt roads with potholes.”

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
DHS is suggesting separating women and children at the border.

These people are loving sick

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

My sister is in the CG reserves. She voted for Trump. Part of me feels mad about this, part of me does not.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Give those kids to someone else and we have genocidal activity.

Edit: Oh, hey there we go!

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 4, 2017

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

DHS is suggesting separating women and children at the border.

These people are loving sick

This is not an exaggeration.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-children-idUSKBN16A2ES?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

quote:

WASHINGTON Women and children crossing together illegally into the United States could be separated by U.S. authorities under a proposal being considered by the Department of Homeland Security, according to three government officials.

Part of the reason for the proposal is to deter mothers from migrating to the United States with their children, said the officials, who have been briefed on the proposal.

The policy shift would allow the government to keep parents in custody while they contest deportation or wait for asylum hearings. Children would be put into protective custody with the Department of Health and Human Services, in the "least restrictive setting" until they can be taken into the care of a U.S. relative or state-sponsored guardian.

Currently, families contesting deportation or applying for asylum are generally released from detention quickly and allowed to remain in the United States until their cases are resolved. A federal appeals court ruling bars prolonged child detention.

President Donald Trump has called for ending "catch and release," in which migrants who cross illegally are freed to live in the United States while awaiting legal proceedings.

Two of the officials were briefed on the proposal at a Feb. 2 town hall for asylum officers by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services asylum chief John Lafferty.

A third DHS official said the department is actively considering separating women from their children but has not made a decision.

HHS and the White House did not respond to requests for comment.

In a statement to Reuters, DHS said: "The journey north is a dangerous one with too many situations where children - brought by parents, relatives or smugglers - are often exploited, abused or may even lose their lives.

"With safety in mind, the Department of Homeland Security continually explores options that may discourage those from even beginning the journey," the statement said.

U.S. Representative Henry Cuellar, a Texas Democrat whose district includes about 200 miles (320 km) of the border with Mexico, slammed the proposal. "Bottom line: separating mothers and children is wrong," he said in a statement.

"That type of thing is where we depart from border security and get into violating human rights," he said.

About 54,000 children and their guardians were apprehended between Oct. 1, 2016, and Jan. 31, 2017, more than double the number caught over the same time period a year earlier.

Republicans in Congress have argued women are willing to risk the dangerous journey with their children because they are assured they will be quickly released from detention and given court dates set years into the future.

Immigrant rights advocates have argued that Central America's violent and impoverished conditions force mothers to immigrate to the United States and that they should be given asylum status. (Graphic: tmsnrt.rs/2m4aPAs)

LEGAL CONSIDERATIONS

Implementing the new policy proposal "could create lifelong psychological trauma," said Marielena Hincapie, executive director at the National Immigration Law Center. "Especially for children that have just completed a perilous journey from Central America."

Hincapie said the U.S. government is likely to face legal challenges based on immigration and family law if they decide to implement the policy.

The policy would allow DHS to detain parents while complying with a 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals order from July 2016 that immigrant children should be released from detention as quickly as possible. That order said their parents were not required to be freed.

To comply with that order, the Obama administration implemented a policy of holding women and children at family detention centers for no more than 21 days before releasing them.

Holding mothers in prolonged detention could also strain government resources, said Randy Capps of the Migration Policy Institute, a Washington-based non-profit.

“You are talking about a pretty rapid increase in the detention population if you are going to do this," Capps said. "The question is really how much detention can they afford."

Department of Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly last week ordered immigration agents to deport or criminally prosecute parents who facilitate the illegal smuggling of their children.

Many parents who arrive on the U.S.-Mexico border with their children have paid smugglers to guide them across the dangerous terrain.

It is one of the most outright evil policy proposals I have ever seen. The fact DHS is trying to feign humanitarian interest is grotesque.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
:doh: Woops, wrong thread.

BigDave fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 4, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Professor Bling posted:

Christ dude come on

It's spelled "brakes"

I got distracted by auto correct not letting me spell woh

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

LingcodKilla posted:

I got distracted by auto correct not letting me spell woh

Because it's spelled whoa

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/02/us/politics/trump-mnuchin-irs.html

Trump wants to cut the IRS by 14%, for budget reasons of course. Wait, what, the IRS gives more money to the federal budget than it is allocated? And most of that money comes from rich people getting audited and forced to pay the gently caress up? Wow that's an amazing coincidence. Yep. Amazing. What's that you say, Donnie's been under audit for years because he's a shifty mother fucker looking to dodge taxes his entire adult life and he just happens to be a spiteful, vengeful dickhead on the side? Welp gotta save federal dollars, so cuts for the IRS are the only way to do it. Party of fiscal responsibility and all don't ya know?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

quote:

Promising to modernize a Treasury unit that many conservatives have threatened to abolish, Mr. Mnuchin said he was certain that Mr. Trump understood the concept of “we add people, we make money.” Investing in the I.R.S., Mr. Mnuchin suggested, was a smart move because the agency’s work ultimately paid for itself through the revenue that it brought in.

The only thing dumber than Trump are the hires who think he'll do anything sensible or rational.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp
Everything about the proposed budget is both hypocritical and vile.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Office Pig posted:

The only thing dumber than Trump are the hires who think he'll do anything sensible or rational.

I dunno, they at least have the excuse of being into politics themselves. People who voted for him thinking they'd get help are way dumber.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Everything about the proposed budget is both hypocritical and vile.

ANd the Reds have already gone on record saying it was going to be DOA.

There is either a very ugly divorce on the way, or Donnie is going to roll over and a mumble his power bottom begging through a ball gag.

Im betting on number 2. Which, conveniently, is also the body function Ryan will commit on Angry Mango's chest when he ends the SS/Medicare cut "stand off".

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Maddow made the point tonight that since there are transcripts of the Flynn calls, it means there was a warrant issued to listen in

wooooo boy this is getting real

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I thought congress did budgets. What say does donnie get in budgets?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
In one page, on Somethingawful.com, I've read more insanity about two agencies that are vital to America. That are independently reported. I can't even remember this poo poo it's so much. I find myself just going whelp don is an idiot to trumpers that approach me. It's truly an overwhelm and forget approach.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Pesticide20 posted:

Because it's spelled whoa

Whoa...

Autocorrect sucks balls.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Reverand maynard posted:

You think nothing? We all understand the process, but politically.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Reverand maynard posted:

President makes the budget, Congress approves or denies

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

jeff sessions appearing before the senate to append his testimony

franken's going to have a field day

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I hope Vilerat's mom is happy supporting a guy who will do everything in his power to destroy an institution her son very much believed in

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Is Trump's whole budget somewhere to read or just a few leaks/reports about it?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

n4i you been watching rachael lately? please geek out with me about how good she was tonight in the 5 min gaps you have to post between being abducted into the phantom shimzone

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Maddow made the point tonight that since there are transcripts of the Flynn calls, it means there was a warrant issued to listen in

wooooo boy this is getting real

I thought everyone understood this.

The reason Flynn got fired was because someone either in the IC, FBI or both has actual transcripts of the calls. The issue with the Russian thing right now isn't what was said/discussed. Its that they met and when asked about it, lied. In Sessions's case he did so under oath.

Sessions biggest issue right now is perjury. Flynn and the campaign in general is potentially a matter of Logan Act, but no one knows because we don't have access. But the contact is real and the White House covered it up, when it got exposed, tried to keep covering it up while calling it fake news, fired Flynn while calling it fake news and crying about leaks, and there are continuing exposures of meetings with Russian officials.

Right now, there isn't a crime that has been committed outside of Sessions. Its that they talked at all and are trying to cover it up. Which is why there needs to be an investigation. The White House is trying to block/interfere/influence investigations and the entire GOP is bending over backwards to help them. That begs the question, if they did nothing wrong, why are they turning the Nixon machine to 11?

Xenoborg posted:

Is Trump's whole budget somewhere to read or just a few leaks/reports about it?

The White House has sent budget blueprints to government agencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Genocide Tendency posted:

I thought everyone understood this.

The reason Flynn got fired was because someone either in the IC, FBI or both has actual transcripts of the calls. The issue with the Russian thing right now isn't what was said/discussed. Its that they met and when asked about it, lied. In Sessions's case he did so under oath.

Sessions biggest issue right now is perjury. Flynn and the campaign in general is potentially a matter of Logan Act, but no one knows because we don't have access. But the contact is real and the White House covered it up, when it got exposed, tried to keep covering it up while calling it fake news, fired Flynn while calling it fake news and crying about leaks, and there are continuing exposures of meetings with Russian officials.

Right now, there isn't a crime that has been committed outside of Sessions. Its that they talked at all and are trying to cover it up. Which is why there needs to be an investigation. The White House is trying to block/interfere/influence investigations and the entire GOP is bending over backwards to help them. That begs the question, if they did nothing wrong, why are they turning the Nixon machine to 11?

my only understanding comes from maddow tonight so i'll just post it instead of making a post with no other info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8AtaS2FNFI

go to 11:20 to skip the setup story

• Locked thread