Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Emissions just leveling off is pretty cold comfort. Sure it's better than increasing the rate we spew greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere but what needs to happen is a drastic decrease in emissions yesterday. It's like being in a sinking boat and feeling good that nobody is making more holes in the hull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Acid Haze posted:

Sorry, polar bears. Pretty sure your natural reign is over, unless you snap evolve into waterbears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOr5W27iiMg :black101: :smith:
Polar bears will live on in grolar bears, adding their genetic predilection for murder to the grizzlies which are already terrorizing American schools.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

*googles name, looks for hit piece, posts it*

Let's agree to just laugh at each other. Go on, continue believing poorly-planned sububan sprawl was a FHA conspiracy as opposed to merely the result of aligned interests between developers, wealthier whites, and local politicians representing them.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I don't get how people end up with this kind of telological interpretation of the function of the planet as opposed to just a bunch of people each acting in self interest in small spheres of influence that result in larger collective fuckups.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Emissions just leveling off is pretty cold comfort. Sure it's better than increasing the rate we spew greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere but what needs to happen is a drastic decrease in emissions yesterday. It's like being in a sinking boat and feeling good that nobody is making more holes in the hull.

If the numbers are real then it's probably just China going through a recession. When they get their economy back in gear they'll get back to emitting.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

TildeATH posted:

If the numbers are real then it's probably just China going through a recession. When they get their economy back in gear they'll get back to emitting.
Trump will save the world by destroying China's economy permanently.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013
Potentially interesting climate news just coming in:

Independent posted:

Chevron warns it could face climate change lawsuits with future oil drilling potentially ‘economically infeasible’

http://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...e-a7609411.html

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

TildeATH posted:

I see no reason to believe the Chinese government would be honest in reporting emission levels. Is there any way to preform impartial science on China's emissions currently?

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Why would a country that cares about the environment focus on climate instead of reducing the amount of factory-induced daytime yellowout conditions that currently exist? It's bullshit, China doesn't give a flying gently caress about emissions.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I saw a video on oxygen producing coral and thought "if I could farm that and send it to that guy to put back in the ocean maybe I can help out the cause." Then I realized that was dumb and I live in a landlocked state and it wouldn't help anybody.

Then I thought "I'll plant trees. That's the ticket." But then I read an article that talked about creating oxygen producing carbon consuming plants aren't enough and more trees might be more harmful.

vermin fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 4, 2017

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I was wondering today if being merely existing, not consuming anything, in the US propels you in the top 50% of carbon footprints in the world. I'm talking about service planning and other things that go off census data.

If it's true then it is a complete impossibility to increase everyone standard of living to our levels. Reduction would be the only answer.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Uncle Jam posted:

I was wondering today if being merely existing, not consuming anything, in the US propels you in the top 50% of carbon footprints in the world. I'm talking about service planning and other things that go off census data.

If it's true then it is a complete impossibility to increase everyone standard of living to our levels. Reduction would be the only answer.
Standard of living and emissions aren't that tightly bound, in theory.

That hypothetical person wouldn't necessarily be in the top 50% - that's an individual level determination, determined by actual emissions.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Good news, everyone!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Uncle Jam posted:

merely existing, not consuming anything

Oh good, we're back to literally impossible thinking.

Is literally impossible thinking better or worse than magical thinking?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Wonder how many Republican voting gently caress sticks will lose their freshly built beach front property?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Uncle Jam posted:

US emissions are a TON higher than European emissions. Heck Chinese per capita emissions are higher than European ones.

Also you can easily see that the levelling off of Chinese emissions is mainly due to the increased share of renewables/nuclear in the mix, and the reduction in coal. The Chinese could be lying but I choose to be optimistic - it should also be quite simple to track from statistics on fossil fuel imports/production. We did also hear of them shutting down coal plants/cancelling plans for new ones.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 4, 2017

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

TildeATH posted:

Oh good, we're back to literally impossible thinking.

Is literally impossible thinking better or worse than magical thinking?

Yeah its a thought experiment to see if the level of infrastructure could be supported world-wide or not.

Fangz posted:

US emissions are a TON higher than European emissions. Heck Chinese per capita emissions are higher than European ones.

Also you can easily see that the levelling off of Chinese emissions is mainly due to the increased share of renewables/nuclear in the mix, and the reduction in coal. The Chinese could be lying but I choose to be optimistic - it should also be quite simple to track from statistics on fossil fuel imports/production. We did also hear of them shutting down coal plants/cancelling plans for new ones.

Still, European emissions are much too high to prevent catastrophic warming. Also, Germany is much higher than China despite having nuclear and solar like crazy, there are many many more factors than just coal plants. A lot of it is infrastructure development to support rich living.

The US generates half the emissions of China, and has been leveled off for a few decades now, want to celebrate the US's energy policy? Yeah, probably not.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

You're kinda cherry picking comparisons a lot there, I don't see how most of it is relevant to what you want to discuss. Trying to reason using the US-China comparison as your key example is not gonna be terribly useful.

My point about renewables relates to the graph I posted earlier. You can see that overall energy consumption in China has increased, but emissions has not, because renewables. Not gonna pretend renewables are the only factor, but it easily explains the recent trend.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fangz posted:

You're kinda cherry picking comparisons a lot there, I don't see how most of it is relevant to what you want to discuss. Trying to reason using the US-China comparison as your key example is not gonna be terribly useful.

My point about renewables relates to the graph I posted earlier. You can see that overall energy consumption in China has increased, but emissions has not, because renewables. Not gonna pretend renewables are the only factor, but it easily explains the recent trend.

I don't really see how China managing to increase energy consumption while flattening emissions over a very short time span is a good argument for or against the idea that the current lifestyle of convenience of the US or 'the west' is completely unsustainable if everyone in the world adopts it even if huge amounts of renewable generators are thrown at the problem, either.

I haven't seen a convincing argument either way, I've been looking at studies and haven't really found much. It goes back to one of the main issues in that verification of self reporting of emissions or production (whether by company or country) is nearly impossible or at the best nearly a decade slow.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

I don't really see how China managing to increase energy consumption while flattening emissions over a very short time span is a good argument for or against the idea that the current lifestyle of convenience of the US or 'the west' is completely unsustainable if everyone in the world adopts it even if huge amounts of renewable generators are thrown at the problem, either.

It's not, I was talking about my earlier post.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://news.utexas.edu/2017/02/28/goodenough-introduces-new-battery-technology

slightly good news even if its gonna take a decade for this to reach the market.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

https://sites.google.com/site/arctischepinguin/home/global-sea-ice

:eng99:

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 8, 2017

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Stairmaster posted:

https://news.utexas.edu/2017/02/28/goodenough-introduces-new-battery-technology

slightly good news even if its gonna take a decade for this to reach the market.

Considering he's only made a new anode, they still need to develop the other half of the battery before the 10 year wait starts.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Cool (heh) infographic about how early Spring has arrived this year, and why (guess).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Unless we have a permanent El Niño now this will go back next year, a little and suddenly "WHERES YOUR GLOBAL WARMING NOW LIBTARDS?!?!?!"

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
El Niño has been over for a while and we're ENSO neutral right now. This is just good old fashioned warming.

Edit- You're still right, though. This is just weather and we may end up with a cold winter and a late spring next year, which I'm sure will thrill climate deniers.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 9, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

call to action posted:

Considering he's only made a new anode, they still need to develop the other half of the battery before the 10 year wait starts.
Yeah, he kinda sat on bothering to look for a better mousetrap for quite a while there

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Oh lovely, it looks like this measure of warming is hitting the mountain transition zone in the Southwest, not Phoenix or anything that will get people to care.

Phoenix's water that doesn't come from the Colorado is entirely sourced in those mountains, if they heat up and dry out, it's going to get bad.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Phoenix and the surrounding area is one giant monument to man's hubris.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Mustached Demon posted:

Phoenix and the surrounding area is one giant monument to man's hubris.

A proud 2500 year history of daring the desert to reclaim the fields.

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN

KiteAuraan posted:

Oh lovely, it looks like this measure of warming is hitting the mountain transition zone in the Southwest, not Phoenix or anything that will get people to care.

Phoenix's water that doesn't come from the Colorado is entirely sourced in those mountains, if they heat up and dry out, it's going to get bad.

An early spring in agriculture areas has the potential to lessen yields, particularly in perennial plants like fruit trees. If they start to bud early due to unusually warm days, and later experience more seasonally typical weather, like a frost, entire crops can be lost.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Some farmers end up hiring helicopters to hover over their fields to keep frost from forming on their trees.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Dr. Furious posted:

An early spring in agriculture areas has the potential to lessen yields, particularly in perennial plants like fruit trees. If they start to bud early due to unusually warm days, and later experience more seasonally typical weather, like a frost, entire crops can be lost.

I'm actually wondering if this is going to happen this year - there were articles a little while ago about early budding, and we're getting a blast of very cold air this weekend. Could be a bad scenario as far as I can tell.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

It killed a bunch of magnolia blooms here in DC. They got tricked into blooming and then the big freeze hit (lol it got barely freezing) and they all just browned out and dropped off. Really pretty for a couple of days though.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
As I am typing this it is still snowing in Vancouver BC. Normally I would be putting tomatoes outside next week.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rime posted:

As I am typing this it is still snowing in Vancouver BC. Normally I would be putting tomatoes outside next week.

checkmate liberals!

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

"Take that liberals!" I cried as I became a climate refugee

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rime posted:

Wow, that's weird. I live thousands of miles to your south in Denver and we don't put out tomatoes until Mother's Day. Guess the coast is keeping you warm?

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Hmm... well this isn't looking like a great trajectory so far:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

call to action posted:

Wow, that's weird. I live thousands of miles to your south in Denver and we don't put out tomatoes until Mother's Day. Guess the coast is keeping you warm?

Denver is Zone 5b, Vancouver is zone 8b. We're supposed to be a temperate rainforest.

You can grow Lemons outdoors here FFS.