Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Roadie posted:

Yeah, districts and wonders taking spaces on the map definitely adds kind of a "puzzle" factor to laying out cities that takes way more thinking than Civ 5 city construction.

And the AI is laughably easy to oppress :v:

Yeah, they took one of the better, albeit smaller ideas from Beyond Earth (The end-game wonders placed on the map to make them more vulnerable AND to take up space you have to plan around) and expanded it in an amazing way with the entire wonder-tree AND districts in VI. The city-building aspect is one of the most fun parts of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Thx folks. I'll probably pick it up later

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Okay I've dropped myself out of all the games I hadn't been replaced in yet. Sorry for holding them up!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, they took one of the better, albeit smaller ideas from Beyond Earth (The end-game wonders placed on the map to make them more vulnerable AND to take up space you have to plan around) and expanded it in an amazing way with the entire wonder-tree AND districts in VI. The city-building aspect is one of the most fun parts of the game.

Unfortunately most wonders in Civ 6 (and many in Beyond Earth) are barely worth building. Some of the Civ 6 wonders are excellent (like the Colosseum which can give big happiness bonuses to five cities if you position it well, or any wonder that gives you an extra government policy slot) but many are trash you kind of feel bad spending a tile on.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I have to build the Venetian Arsenal in every game I play. I just have to.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

John F Bennett posted:

I think that's the only one I haven't built yet. It's got an annoying requirement that I just don't ever seem to be able to fill.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

John F Bennett posted:

<<<<<------- gently caress yeah

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Declaring war on someone who is Suzerin of a city state should eliminate all your influence from that city-state. Make declaring war matter. Also while in a war you declared you shouldn't get influence points.

Basically encourage short purpose driven Wars where you either are going to win the game or accomplish a specific objective, then get peace asap.

And of course losing units in enemy territory should have heavy diplomatic and happiness penalties. The idea is if you can win a war you declared, it's a huge boon for you. If you declare a war you are ill-prepared for, it should be detrimental.

Also allow the conquering of city-states to eliminate all foreign influence from them.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Gort posted:

Unfortunately most wonders in Civ 6 (and many in Beyond Earth) are barely worth building. Some of the Civ 6 wonders are excellent (like the Colosseum which can give big happiness bonuses to five cities if you position it well, or any wonder that gives you an extra government policy slot) but many are trash you kind of feel bad spending a tile on.

That's why I made a mod specifically to address that.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Declaring war on someone who is Suzerin of a city state should eliminate all your influence from that city-state. Make declaring war matter. Also while in a war you declared you shouldn't get influence points.

I think this happens if you declare war on the city-state itself, but not its suzerain, because that would actually be a dumb and annoying mechanic.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 4, 2017

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gort posted:

Eh, I feel it's kinda nice. There are enough that everyone will want, but it's not a requirement to really fight for any but a few unless you're going tourism victory. At which point you'll be spreading out to build more ampitheaters to house your great artists. Basically the designers didn't want people fighting for the exact same wonders every time again. I will say many of them could use at least a slight buff.

I do find it hilarious though that the Great Library went to god-tier in V to comically worthless in VI (gives a boost to ALL classical and ancient techs...likely after you've researched all of them anyways) unless, as I said, you're going for a tourism victory because it gives two more book slots.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
FINLAND CIV WHEN :finland:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

And of course losing units in enemy territory should have heavy diplomatic and happiness penalties.

Of course, thanks to the way the happiness system reacts to having low local happiness, the AI's crappy frontier cities that they dropped near your borders will just start spawning dozens of barbarian units and you end up being the only one who gets punished for an enemy losing a unit and getting a happiness penalty :downs:

I wonder if they could make a rebel "team" kinda like a CS that only attacks the civ that spawned them?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Australia may be my new favourite fun civ. I'm finding myself always trying to bait the other civs into declaring war against me for the insane production bonus you receive.

Just started a map and placed only the aggressive civs on it. The constant declarations of war have put me on top of everything.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Magil Zeal posted:

That's why I made a mod specifically to address that.

Link?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Tin Tim posted:

Thx folks. I'll probably pick it up later

Don't do it! I play exactly like you and the game doesn't really feel like it suits that sort of playstyle. The cities all feel the same, there's no "specialness" to them. And because the AI is so random and weird it feels really unreal.

Less than Civ5/4 it felt like playing the Warlock games where cities don't matter at all and they're interchangable.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Of course, thanks to the way the happiness system reacts to having low local happiness, the AI's crappy frontier cities that they dropped near your borders will just start spawning dozens of barbarian units and you end up being the only one who gets punished for an enemy losing a unit and getting a happiness penalty :downs:

I wonder if they could make a rebel "team" kinda like a CS that only attacks the civ that spawned them?
Or take inspiration from EU4 where you can use spies to support the rebels and fight alongside them. And even use them as a CB to declare war.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

Australia may be my new favourite fun civ. I'm finding myself always trying to bait the other civs into declaring war against me for the insane production bonus you receive.

Just started a map and placed only the aggressive civs on it. The constant declarations of war have put me on top of everything.

Thanks to CQUI (I just picked that mod up and have no idea how I'd play without it) I realized my only neighbor on my continent was at like 1/3-1/4 of my military score. Since Gilgamesh likely wouldn't declare on me first I enacted plan "gently caress off, we're full!" and removed him from the game. Best thing was: it was before I managed to meet anyone else so no one realizes what I did to the aborigine Sumerian people in my game.

Close thing too. If my galley set to autoexplore had turned south instead of east I'd have found America and Teddy would likely hate me forever. Instead I found like every city-state and then China 2-3 turns after I took the last of Gil's cities.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Taear posted:

Don't do it! I play exactly like you and the game doesn't really feel like it suits that sort of playstyle. The cities all feel the same, there's no "specialness" to them. And because the AI is so random and weird it feels really unreal.

Less than Civ5/4 it felt like playing the Warlock games where cities don't matter at all and they're interchangable.

Because you literally cannot build all things in all cities, and cannot build all wonders in a single city, I reject your assertions of sameness and rebuke you in the name of Saint Sid.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Taear posted:

Huh, I had the opposite experience. Since you can't cram everything into each city anymore they ended up being special for me. Like, you need to think about what tiles can be turned into buildings and what tiles need to be worked and I liked that new system.

The only system I'm iffy on is housing/water/amenities. Like, having each town use most of the space you have available like in civ5 isn't that good of an idea because cities without a good water source are hella gimped until you have aqueducts and those take a good while to research. I tried 3 games to get my feet wet and I basically always ended up in a sad state where I had growing towns that couldn't keep up with housing/amenites and the game constantly let me know that things are bad. I tried to set my research right to offset that quickly but then you end up being easy prey when one of the AI civs decides to come knocking cause you spent all your time into development and have like 3 units that can fight stuff. There's probably an all-purpose strategy to get your towns going but I haven't found it yet

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Tin Tim posted:

The only system I'm iffy on is housing/water/amenities. Like, having each town use most of the space you have available like in civ5 isn't that good of an idea because cities without a good water source are hella gimped until you have aqueducts and those take a good while to research. I tried 3 games to get my feet wet and I basically always ended up in a sad state where I had growing towns that couldn't keep up with housing/amenites and the game constantly let me know that things are bad. I

This is part of it I think. It ends up with loads of small cities (and having loads of cities is the most efficent) and just doesn't feel the same, I dunno.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I never build aquaducts, should I?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yes, they're great for delaying the great midgame housing crunch. Also they look nice.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Weird things in Civ6: Rome can't build aqueducts.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

The bath has a built-in aquaduct.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

At least they don't bathe in the aqueduct. That'd be really gross.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

I never build aquaducts, should I?

If your city isn't directly on a river, then yes. On a coast or just a random tile in the middle of nowhere? Yeah, it basically gives you the river's fresh water housing bonus. If you're on a river, not really unless you're in dire straights housing wise and you don't have neighborhoods yet since you're burning an entire tile for 2 housing.

In short:
No water: Aqueduct is worth 5 housing
Salt water: Aqueduct is worth 3 housing
Already has fresh water: Aqueduct is worth 2 housing.
Playing as Kongo: Hahahaha, who the gently caress cares, you have an early super-special neighborhood you can spam everywhere.

BATHS on the other hand? Always build Baths if you can. They give you EVERYTHING the aqueduct does and THEN add +2 housing and +1 amenity on top of that in addition to getting the "unique district" production discount. So for Baths:

No water: Bath is worth 7 housing and 1 amenity
Salt water: Bath is worth 5 housing and 1 amenity
Already has fresh water: 4 housing and 1 amenity.

A much, much better deal to be honest.

Byzantine posted:

Weird things in Civ6: Rome can't build aqueducts.

Yeah, I find that amusing as well. Everyone else can build a thing that the Romans were specifically famous for building all over the place, but the Romans can't build them. Of course as mentioned the Bath's graphic is an aqueduct + a roman bath building.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Just finished the version with the World Wonders Overhaul only.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Just in case anyone was wondering when the Mac edition would be updated.

Thanks, Firaxis.

(How many people on Goon Games 3-4 are running on Mac? If it's just me on GG3, I'll drop.)

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Aerdan posted:

Just in case anyone was wondering when the Mac edition would be updated.

Thanks, Firaxis.

(How many people on Goon Games 3-4 are running on Mac? If it's just me on GG3, I'll drop.)

You know what a Mac is, and you weighed the pros and cons when you bought it.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

The Human Crouton posted:

You know what a Mac is, and you weighed the pros and cons when you bought it.

Well, you see, if I wanted to be pissed off with computers I would just go back to owning a Windows computer. :rolleyes:

I decided accessibility that wasn't a joke and not frequently wanting to throw my computer across the room was more important, particularly since a majority of the games I want to play run perfectly fine on macOS.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Aerdan posted:

Well, you see, if I wanted to be pissed off with computers I would just go back to owning a Windows computer. :rolleyes:

I decided accessibility that wasn't a joke and not frequently wanting to throw my computer across the room was more important, particularly since a majority of the games I want to play run perfectly fine on macOS.

I dunno man, ever since Mac OS changed "deselect item" from Esc, to Shift+Ctrl+Opt+A, I've wanted to put their computers in the sort of receptacle the Mac Pro looks like these days

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Aerdan posted:

In general, noone should ever drop from the PBEM games. It's impossible to replace AI by people again, so by dropping, you're creating an AI player forever. The better choice is to ask if anyone wants to replace you. People can be swapped for people, as long as you don't go through the AI.

That said, you're not the only one on Mac. Peas and Rice has one too, I think. No point in dropping now, we will wait.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Magil Zeal posted:

Just finished the version with the World Wonders Overhaul only.

Oh, that's you? Nice!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I love how I don't have to make a courthouse in every town I take.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Tenzarin posted:

I love how I don't have to make a courthouse in every town I take.

This and local happiness have made warmongering so much better

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

markus_cz posted:

That said, you're not the only one on Mac. Peas and Rice has one too, I think. No point in dropping now, we will wait.

Yeah, I'm stuck in Macland too. I'm a little surprised; Aspyr was lickity-split with the last patch. PBEM games may really suck for cross-platform play until they're done patching the game. :smith:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Having played a game with it, the World Wonder Overhaul mod is pretty much a must-have. So many more worthwhile wonders with it enabled.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It would be cool if you could build canals. I hate discovering that a body of water I thought was the ocean turns out to be separated from it by a two tile strip of land.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

It would be cool if you could build canals. I hate discovering that a body of water I thought was the ocean turns out to be separated from it by a two tile strip of land.

Or getting to the N/S end of a continent to find you can't go and that way. Canals would be great for getting past 1-2 tiles. With the new wonder system, it'd be a neat, semi rare build. Have it increase commerce and maybe tourism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Phuzun posted:

Or getting to the N/S end of a continent to find you can't go and that way. Canals would be great for getting past 1-2 tiles. With the new wonder system, it'd be a neat, semi rare build. Have it increase commerce and maybe tourism.

If you mean the deal where there's a short blockage of ice preventing navigation around the continent, I think the most recent patch tweaked map generation so that's less common. Haven't verified it myself yet.