Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
You could try that horrible thing where you make a usb stick that presents itself as a usb DVD drive. http://www.allarghiamoci.it/usbcdrom/ I was looking into this when trying to install a rocks cluster on a server but I never figured out how to do this.

Sibling of TB fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

PXE boot the ISO with wds?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

gooby pls posted:

PXE boot the ISO with wds?

Sounds like it's a home lab project, so something like http://erpxe.org may be easier to wrangle.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Why is my 8 disk RAID5 array of 6TB disks in a £650 NAS box really slow when I have five people trying to edit video off it?"

:fuckoff:

Fortunately as it's a RAID5 array it's a problem that will solve itself.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Let me guess, they put in WD blues in it too?

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Thanks Ants posted:

"Why is my 8 disk RAID5 array of 6TB disks in a £650 NAS box really slow when I have five people trying to edit video off it?"

:fuckoff:

Fortunately as it's a RAID5 array it's a problem that will solve itself.

please stop triggering me

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

gently caress the % sign. It is the bane of my existence right now.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Agrikk posted:

So I'm either buying a dual-layer USB DVD player (nope!), buying a newer 4P motherboard (loving nope!) or doing nothing (yep!).

How'd you manage to get a hold of a DVD drive that doesn't read dual layer discs? That would usually mean your drive laser is failing.

Or is the problem that your burner is a very old one that can't burn dual layer? Cuz I mean, that functionality has been available since 2004-2005.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Maigius posted:

gently caress the % sign. It is the bane of my existence right now.

OK I'll bite

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My coworkers didn't help ER registration with their stupid mouse problem and now I'm probably going to have to drive all the way to work in order to do this two minute thing they couldn't be bothered to do during business hours.

But as the last person out usually I'm sure if I did that to them I'd hear about it the next day.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

fishmech posted:

How'd you manage to get a hold of a DVD drive that doesn't read dual layer discs? That would usually mean your drive laser is failing.

Or is the problem that your burner is a very old one that can't burn dual layer? Cuz I mean, that functionality has been available since 2004-2005.

Well what do you know? After looking it up, it turns out that my DVD drive is dual layer. Who knew? :)

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Passed away from cancer. They ate so badly it gave them cancer.

Exposure to this thread will do the same thing over time, I hear

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My account has been getting locked for the last two days because someone changed my password to test a different issue.

My coworkers aren't responding. I call our helpdesk. They can't unlock my account so they kindly opened a ticket. The on call technician will call me in a bit to get this fixed.

.... I am the on call technician. If I wasn't, I wouldn't give a poo poo if my account was locked or not. He opened a ticket for me so I can unlock my own account. I don't even think he understood what I meant when I told him that I am the on call technician, nor did he find it the least bit odd the primary on call in remedy has the same name as the one who is being issued the ticket.

Did I mention the whole reason I'm not on site to hack my own account or hand people mice is because I was at an interview for another firm? :yotj:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Thanks Ants posted:

Goddamn why are people so loving thick.

I had a user today, I asked them to go to [collegewebsite.ca] so I could guide them to our screen sharing tool.

"How do I do that?"

I pulled the eject lever immediately and said to just come in.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I'm a programmer, and the % sign won't URL decrypt properly. I have also found due to this, my work is not using best practices for preventing XSS attacks. This is the last thing before the original change I was working on can go out. It sucks.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Good way to find the end of things in vim though.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

xzzy posted:

Too much mountain dew and cheetos.

<crunch slurp> What?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

xzzy posted:

Too much mountain dew and cheetos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7hZfoqsskM

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

PBS posted:

That theoretical amazon store seemed cool, walk in, pick out what you want, walk out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eob532iEpqk

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I've always loved this commercial, and I continue to be impressed by how ahead of its time a lot of these IBM predictions were. Especially neat was the one that predicted widespread VOD, which turned out to be awful close.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Volmarias posted:

I've always loved this commercial, and I continue to be impressed by how ahead of its time a lot of these IBM predictions were. Especially neat was the one that predicted widespread VOD, which turned out to be awful close.

In the end, suppliers/manufacturers just stonewalled this. Even Walmart tried to make it a thing, but couldn't get them to play ball. I'm not sure why it got such negativity, as it could end a bunch of problems (shrinkage, checkout delays, shipping losses, etc) that plague the industry.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

My boss just sent a staff email:

quote:

Guys,

A friend of mine is interested in getting into IT (all the cool people are, right?) and is wondering about self-help resources to learn more about the following topics. Do you guys have suggestions that I might be able to point him towards?

Windows Server / Active Directory
VMWare / VSphere / ESXi
Managed Switches / L3 Networking

Thanks dudes~

Our entire staff is currently seven people, including himself. Of the ten employees present when I started only two years ago, one was fired, one was a Korean intern who returned home (technically three, each successive intern replaced the previous until the last one left a few months ago), and four left for other companies. This doesn't include the notable employee turnover rate from years prior.

Our "office" is located within my boss's second business, strategically to lower or eliminate rental costs. This is at the expense of many other things, however. For example, our old location was smack-dab in the center of downtown, a one minute walk from a BART/Muni station; now we're in a lovely neighborhood (no really, watch your step, there's feces all over the sidewalks) and further away from a number of the businesses we support. There's less storage here for our stuff, and it's even harder for me to focus because it's a loving coworking space. It's impossible to talk on the phone when everyone around you is conversing at the same time (I don't know how you folks in call centers maintain your sanity). I guess I should count my blessings, though, because that's better than the minor plumbing repairs from a few weeks ago.

We have over 40 clients, many of which desperately need a dedicated IT person/department by themselves (either due to the size of their business or how hosed all their poo poo is, but frequently an unhealthy blend of both). As far as I can tell, they're still getting an incredible deal considering what we invoice them. Recently, I inadvertently learned that one of the large clients that I'm an "account holder" for (read: pretty much deal with on a daily basis) needs to downsize a bit due to reduced workload, so we've literally cut their bill in half... to $2400/mo. In San Fran-loving-cisco. The company in question should be hiring two professional in-house technicians, not paying us the literal equivalent of some poor shmuck making minimum wage. Hell, I'm making ten thousand dollars below market-rate for all the crap I'm responsible for, but I'd be somewhat alright with that at this point (no) if it meant only having to worry about one organization's infrastructure instead of dozens simultaneously. Not sure if I'd be confident enough to manage that just yet with my current skill set, though.

Which leads me back to the topic at hand. I paid for an A+ cert out of my own pocket before I was hired at this job, mainly to have something, anything, tech-related on my resume at the time. I have not been offered/suggested to take any other tests since then. 75% of the knowledge I've acquired in this "help desk" position was from my colleagues who would frequently contradict themselves and each other, and the other 25% was from me frantically looking poo poo up online and winging it. One of my coworkers is extremely knowledgeable about network administration, and we've all supposed to be learning from him, but he's frustratingly awkward/oblivious to interact with that he's a terrible teacher. He also comes over to my desk like every half hour to tell me something unimportant about a task, when there's a goddamn Slack channel right there.

So where was I? Right. Boss? YouTube tutorials are cool and all, but tell your friend to consider investing in formal training instead, community college or something. Also: don't work at an MSP. Christ.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

CHEETOS! Read the RFC already.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MiniFoo posted:

My boss just sent a staff email:

It sounds like you're writing from a future where my employer has expanded into the US.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

skooma512 posted:

My account has been getting locked for the last two days because someone changed my password to test a different issue.

My coworkers aren't responding. I call our helpdesk. They can't unlock my account so they kindly opened a ticket. The on call technician will call me in a bit to get this fixed.

.... I am the on call technician. If I wasn't, I wouldn't give a poo poo if my account was locked or not. He opened a ticket for me so I can unlock my own account. I don't even think he understood what I meant when I told him that I am the on call technician, nor did he find it the least bit odd the primary on call in remedy has the same name as the one who is being issued the ticket.

Did I mention the whole reason I'm not on site to hack my own account or hand people mice is because I was at an interview for another firm? :yotj:

Good for you man. I forcibly :yotj: last week to a decent company that paid not so great (job2) because I had 3 hours to decide if I wanted to be unemployed for (???) or take something in the interim. Yesterday I got an offer (job3) making what I should have been making when I started the lovely contract (job1) I got fired from last week for having an interview. I feel no remorse about leaving job2 because I had to go back and forth over a span of a few hours to get what I was getting for job2. Now I get a 30% raise for job3. It was kind of amusing seeing the recruiter's eyes nearly bug out when I told him what he would have to beat, since he was the person I had to fight the entire way. :yotj: :yotj:

I wouldn't have taken it had he offered me more anyway. Job2 was basically guaranteed to lead to me being unemployed inside 3 months because they didn't have enough work for us. Job3 is a perm position.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MOTHER loving .PDF FILES

PDF's are great for a lot of things. They aren't perfect but they sure are handy.

But they are not the do-all end-all storage system. People want the world with a PDF. We have this generic form that's a PDF, but people want to add all this poo poo to it that doesn't lend well to PDF's. If they check this box, add a second page for comments, if they enter this value, change the bottom of the page to look like this instead of this...

And it looks like some of this is actually possible with Adobe XML dynamic PDF's but we're just going down the wrong path...

Another example: They want people to download a credit application from our website (PDF file) that gets faxed back in. They want a link in the PDF to email it back to us, which you can kind of do. But they could just...email it? Also, why not just have a credit app on the drat website itself?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Bob Morales posted:

MOTHER loving .PDF FILES

PDF's are great for a lot of things. They aren't perfect but they sure are handy.

But they are not the do-all end-all storage system. People want the world with a PDF. We have this generic form that's a PDF, but people want to add all this poo poo to it that doesn't lend well to PDF's. If they check this box, add a second page for comments, if they enter this value, change the bottom of the page to look like this instead of this...

And it looks like some of this is actually possible with Adobe XML dynamic PDF's but we're just going down the wrong path...

Another example: They want people to download a credit application from our website (PDF file) that gets faxed back in. They want a link in the PDF to email it back to us, which you can kind of do. But they could just...email it? Also, why not just have a credit app on the drat website itself?

Because a web dev firm wants money and you are free.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You could always build something in SharePoint :devil:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Thanks Ants posted:

You could always build something in SharePoint :devil:

From my limited experience with it, I'm pretty sure SharePoint is literally Black Magic, since we somehow have it set up to make user accounts and emails and crap like that.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Bob Morales posted:

PDF's are great for a lot of things.

You lost me.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Trying to do a WebEx
Other person has three monitors
Two only display wallpaper image

Why

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's the IT power play. The more monitors on your desk, the more people will take you seriously.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Avenging_Mikon posted:

From my limited experience with it, I'm pretty sure SharePoint is literally Black Magic, since we somehow have it set up to make user accounts and emails and crap like that.

SharePoint is more akin to Black Magic in that if you start using either, things start to catch on fire and explode.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

MisterZimbu posted:

SharePoint is more akin to Black Magic in that if you start using either, things start to catch on fire and explode.

And you have to promise your soul to the devil in order to accomplish anything useful.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
If anyone has noticed.. Firefox 52, due for release any time, removes support for NPAPI plugins, the most notable of which is Java, and also Silverlight (Did anyone actually ever use this?)

IE will stand alone as the only browser still supporting Java.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bigass Moth posted:

Trying to do a WebEx
Other person has three monitors
Two only display wallpaper image

Why

If I could count the people here that have their 2nd monitor as just a picture frame

The 65 year old receptionist here has a second monitor, always leaves it turned off, and has actual photographs of her grandkids stuck in it

Once a week we get a call from her how some program isn't doing anything or is frozen up - she's got a window open, on the other monitor, that's waiting for input.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

stevewm posted:

Silverlight (Did anyone actually ever use this?)

Netflix, for one.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

stevewm posted:

If anyone has noticed.. Firefox 52, due for release any time, removes support for NPAPI plugins, the most notable of which is Java, and also Silverlight (Did anyone actually ever use this?)

IE will stand alone as the only browser still supporting Java.

They're killing Netflix support :psyduck:

...and yes, I do. Quote website for one of my distributors. Silverlight is the reason I have to keep an IE install around because Chrome doesn't support that turd. :eng99:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

D34THROW posted:

They're killing Netflix support :psyduck:

...and yes, I do. Quote website for one of my distributors. Silverlight is the reason I have to keep an IE install around because Chrome doesn't support that turd. :eng99:

Netflix doesn't use Silverlight anymore, or at least not only Silverlight since it still runs in Chrome...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Also why are you using a web browser to watch Netflix? That is what your Chromecast or [insert device here] is for.