Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I feel rabea Masaad and Rob Chapmans music can best be described as 'nu metal dad' though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Rob for sure, but if you watch Bea's channel he plays a looooot more varied stuff than the shred that Chappers always whips out.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Chappers is the most awkward frontman I think I've ever seen, his sunny demeanour makes it pretty much impossible for me to buy into the semi angst ridden songs they belt out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmJGsuKMknY&t=119s

Everything he does really feels like he learned it from a book using deliberate steps to success

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

massive spider posted:

I feel rabea Masaad and Rob Chapmans music can best be described as 'nu metal dad' though.

Uhhh Toska is insanely good!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I really like all the people involved but sometimes as a whole it doesn't seem to gel

Also lol at Bea giving mega thumbs up to Victory and H&K at every opportunity while always rocking his Marshall live

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Who was it who said the Chappers videos were OK if you could get past the 10 minutes of flirting with himself?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Chappers seems so genuinely nice and hard working that I give him a pass on the goofy bullshit. Lee seems great too. Together they can really get on my nerves but their chemistry usually leads to fun demos and whatnot. I'll take that any day over the dead serious snarky gear dicks. Rabea is 10/10 though I love that dude. I want to steal his riffs.

Really though if we're talking about YouTube gear demos no one comes close to the most handsome beautiful Canadian boy ever

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

Really though if we're talking about YouTube gear demos no one comes close to the most handsome beautiful Canadian boy ever

seriously disappointed this wasn't glenn fricker

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Kilometers Davis posted:

Chappers seems so genuinely nice and hard working that I give him a pass on the goofy bullshit. Lee seems great too. Together they can really get on my nerves but their chemistry usually leads to fun demos and whatnot. I'll take that any day over the dead serious snarky gear dicks. Rabea is 10/10 though I love that dude. I want to steal his riffs.

That's not Justin Trudeau :confused:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Vaguely on topic. Those guys rave about the Bassbreaker. How do you guys feel about 'em?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

...and the pitch! posted:

Vaguely on topic. Those guys rave about the Bassbreaker. How do you guys feel about 'em?

Tested the 007 head. You can get really good tones with them! The guitar-volume-as-a-tone-shaping-tool thing works really well, too! I ended up not buying it because of a personal life issue, which made me realize that I had enough gear.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

A national treasure if I ever saw one.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Ok, I'm looking for a new to me amp again.

My current amp is an Audimation B100 head. Electronically, it's basically the same as an Ampeg B100 from the 70s, and was designed and built by the same guy. I run through a 2x12 I built with celestions. Channel A is where I run my pedal board to, and channel B is where I run my Yamaha FX500, with a splitter for my guitar on my pedal board (there's no effects loop on the head). The sound is very nice clean, and it takes effects very well. The problem is that any time I want to get heavy, it gets tinny instead of thick, and if the full band is going full blast I have a hard time cutting through. There's also no option to just have a mild overdrive, obviously, because solid state.

I've been looking around for a two channel tube head that's not expensive and will give me good tone. Failing that, I'm happy to run a single channel and then just stack it on top of the Audimation and keep running the FX500 through that, since my cabinet has dual inputs for just such a situation. I just can't find an amp that's worthwhile at any good price point. I've been playing a bit through my other guitarist's Bassman 70 head, and I like it for my guitar tone, but it's not really for sale and it doesn't crunch as well as I'd like it to. Thoughts I've had so far:

Marshalls: I love the tone from the JCM800, and I always have my eyes out for one, but even old beat up ones are prohibitively expensive.

Sovtek/EH: I always liked the MIG50, and now EH is making a version. I have heard really nasty things about reliability though.

Orange: Not a single goddamn one at anything approaching reasonable, but would be awesome.

Blackstar HT50: Heard lots of good things about Blackstar, but I can't find one to play anywhere so I don't know if it's going to be loud enough in a 5 piece.

Bugera: They make some big 150 watt head that's supposed to be pretty good and very cheap, but I'm worried about the combination of that power and price: is it in fact garbage?

Anyway give me your thoughts cause I need a new amp.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
If it helps I had a HT60 Blackstar and never ran it louder than 3 in a full band.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Wark Say posted:

The blues cube sounds really good. Give it a spin. Roland really knows how to do Non-Tube Amps that absolutely SLAY. However, if weight (and price) is no issue, shop around for a Twin Reverb or the Deluxe Reverb. I hate having to lug mine around, but the thing is that, if you find THE Twin, you're basically set: I found mine back in 2001, and while I've never done extensive touring with mine, for local gigs, the thing takes everything I throw at it like it ain't no thing. And for recording, if I'm not going for that "lower-wattage sweet spot", the Twin is perfect for almost all the cleans you can throw at it.

And while it might just be the speakers, I'm not a fan of how some lower tunings / extended range (7 strings and above) behave, though.

Gorgar posted:

If you're talking about the Twin here, I think speakers/cabinet might be it. Along with the silverface Twin, I bought a silverface drip edge 68 or whatever Super Reverb that didn't seem to like Gibsons. I took it back to the shop, paid for some speaker reconing, but it still never sounded good with humbuckers, much less a baritone. Eventually sold it back to the shop. Now I have a slightly later Super Reverb running through a bass cabinet and it sounds great to me. The amps have plenty of heft, but the cabs seem geared towards thin-sounding guitars like most Fenders.

Hm, the extended range is a consideration - I've got a baritone guitar as well, though it's not my main instrument. Then again, I always felt like most baritone guitar belonged on a tiny twangy amp for some reason. More excuses to spend too much time in a store I guess.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

seriously disappointed this wasn't glenn fricker

this motherfucker led me on a futile path towards seeing if you can mute someone on youtube

gently caress glenn fricker

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

My current amp is an Audimation B100 head. Electronically, it's basically the same as an Ampeg B100 from the 70s, and was designed and built by the same guy. I run through a 2x12 I built with celestions. Channel A is where I run my pedal board to, and channel B is where I run my Yamaha FX500, with a splitter for my guitar on my pedal board (there's no effects loop on the head). The sound is very nice clean, and it takes effects very well. The problem is that any time I want to get heavy, it gets tinny instead of thick, and if the full band is going full blast I have a hard time cutting through. There's also no option to just have a mild overdrive, obviously, because solid state.

I've been looking around for a two channel tube head that's not expensive and will give me good tone. Failing that, I'm happy to run a single channel and then just stack it on top of the Audimation and keep running the FX500 through that, since my cabinet has dual inputs for just such a situation. I just can't find an amp that's worthwhile at any good price point. I've been playing a bit through my other guitarist's Bassman 70 head, and I like it for my guitar tone, but it's not really for sale and it doesn't crunch as well as I'd like it to. Thoughts I've had so far:

Marshalls: I love the tone from the JCM800, and I always have my eyes out for one, but even old beat up ones are prohibitively expensive.

Sovtek/EH: I always liked the MIG50, and now EH is making a version. I have heard really nasty things about reliability though.

Orange: Not a single goddamn one at anything approaching reasonable, but would be awesome.

Blackstar HT50: Heard lots of good things about Blackstar, but I can't find one to play anywhere so I don't know if it's going to be loud enough in a 5 piece.

Bugera: They make some big 150 watt head that's supposed to be pretty good and very cheap, but I'm worried about the combination of that power and price: is it in fact garbage?

What about Jet City? They make a lot of two channel amps at decent prices.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

this motherfucker led me on a futile path towards seeing if you can mute someone on youtube

gently caress glenn fricker
It's funny you say that because when I first started learning about audio production he popped up and I thought, "man, he's annoying but he seems to know his poo poo." After a while I realised that's he's more pomp and obnoxiousness than knowledge. He's also quite hypocritical too. He goes on and on emphasising taht your band should have a unique sound but god forbid (Sorry, "by Krom's balls" or some poo poo because lolfuckthiestsright? I'm not even religious and that poo poo got old fast) you want to use any amp outside established major amps (Marshall JCM800/Peavey 5150/Mesa Dual Rectifier etc) or a cab not loaded with Vintage 30s and mic'd with an SM57. "Oh you can do it differently but basically I'm right." You've also gotta love any YouTube person who chooses to reply to comments in a video, so they have no chance to retort or say anything back. They aren't even good mic drops, just boring "Yeah, because SCREAMING ISN'T TROO METALZ NEXT COMMENT".

Also the fact that he's not even a full time producer. He's made comments that it's a side thing and he prefers to just do YouTube stuff. That's fine, but the way he talks you'd think he had some A list albums under his belt. I think the only thing he did I thought was any good after looking it up was the Woods of Ypres albums. And he said he hated making them.

Sorry, ranting. The dude pisses me off. Oh, oh, maybe he'll find this and put in a witty comeback in his next video! The dumb gently caress.

Sockington posted:

What about Jet City? They make a lot of two channel amps at decent prices.
I'm actually looking at Jet City at the moment too, to complement my Night Train (Which is awesome and you should get one). The one thing that stands out is that you do have to get the 50H or 100HDM for a true clean channel. The crunch channel on the 22H is the single channel from the 20H. It's designed to break up fairly early.

Having said that they sound loving fantastic from what I've seen and heard, and I can get the 22H and 212 for AU$850. If only I had the disposable.

They are essentially Soldanos or hot rodded Marshalls depending how you look at it, so if that sound doesn't click then they're probably not for you. But yeah, my first choice of two (really three) channel amps is my Night Train and I'm seriously considering grabbing a Jet City when possible. So that's my recommendations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Fricker seems to be decently knowledgeable, and I don't disagree with a lot of his general opinions I've come across but the way he acts is completely off putting and unnecessary. But it's likely a big part of how he markets himself so you know, whatever. Doesn't draw me in though :shrug:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
For sure, I didn't mean to imply he doesn't know anything just that his videos are like 90% him telling you how great he is and how his way is the best way. I agree on a bunch of stuff (like the mic cupping thing) and I learnt the trick of adding a sub bass tone for the kick if it isn't hitting hard enough. It's mainly his videos went from trying to give helpful advice (even if annoying as hell while doing it) to just trying to sell himself as king poo poo. That's my take anyway.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

syntaxfunction posted:

Also the fact that he's not even a full time producer. He's made comments that it's a side thing and he prefers to just do YouTube stuff.

haha really? that's even funnier. i was wondering why this guy in his mid-40s has almost no credits to his name beyond some local canadian bands' demos and a remix of a queensryche track from a few years ago

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

It's funny you say that because when I first started learning about audio production he popped up and I thought, "man, he's annoying but he seems to know his poo poo." After a while I realised that's he's more pomp and obnoxiousness than knowledge. He's also quite hypocritical too. He goes on and on emphasising taht your band should have a unique sound but god forbid (Sorry, "by Krom's balls" or some poo poo because lolfuckthiestsright? I'm not even religious and that poo poo got old fast) you want to use any amp outside established major amps (Marshall JCM800/Peavey 5150/Mesa Dual Rectifier etc) or a cab not loaded with Vintage 30s and mic'd with an SM57. "Oh you can do it differently but basically I'm right." You've also gotta love any YouTube person who chooses to reply to comments in a video, so they have no chance to retort or say anything back. They aren't even good mic drops, just boring "Yeah, because SCREAMING ISN'T TROO METALZ NEXT COMMENT".

Also the fact that he's not even a full time producer. He's made comments that it's a side thing and he prefers to just do YouTube stuff. That's fine, but the way he talks you'd think he had some A list albums under his belt. I think the only thing he did I thought was any good after looking it up was the Woods of Ypres albums. And he said he hated making them.

Sorry, ranting. The dude pisses me off. Oh, oh, maybe he'll find this and put in a witty comeback in his next video! The dumb gently caress.

I'm actually looking at Jet City at the moment too, to complement my Night Train (Which is awesome and you should get one). The one thing that stands out is that you do have to get the 50H or 100HDM for a true clean channel. The crunch channel on the 22H is the single channel from the 20H. It's designed to break up fairly early.

Having said that they sound loving fantastic from what I've seen and heard, and I can get the 22H and 212 for AU$850. If only I had the disposable.

They are essentially Soldanos or hot rodded Marshalls depending how you look at it, so if that sound doesn't click then they're probably not for you. But yeah, my first choice of two (really three) channel amps is my Night Train and I'm seriously considering grabbing a Jet City when possible. So that's my recommendations.

I bought my 22H here from a fellow goon. Used it for a year and sold it to my guitarist buddy who has used it as his gigging amp for two years. I've also been told the 22H had the better effects loop design versus the 50/100H for some reason. Didn't look into it.

Pretty decent reliability from what I've seen on the older Soldano stamped 22H. There are modifications that can bring the gain down on the 22H to be more like lower gain models theyoffer now.

Also, AmpFactory will modify just about any of their JetCity products.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I've never seen a jet city in person or even heard one. When uses one well that I could listen to?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I've never seen a jet city in person or even heard one. When uses one well that I could listen to?

my favorite band of all time uses two of them https://bigattack.bandcamp.com

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Also take a look at Hovercraft. They are modded Jet Cities that sound p good [in YouTube clips].

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Marshalls - the JCM800 tone is a fantastic goal and there are a couple of next best things but ultimately you'll have to buy the 2203x to really get there. JCM900 uses the same tone stack but you will have to work to get the 800 sound dialed in. Clones are almost as expensive. Marshall has a ridiculously low price on the 2555x right now and it's the best amp Marshall has put out in a long time. It's kind of foolish for people to skip that. Dsl40c is the best combo amp out right now. Mine is two years old now and no issues. I can get 800 tones but some of that lushness is missing. Still has a pretty gnarly growl. My 4x12 has T75 Celestions in it. If you are using the stock speaker in the DSL40c it can get a little bright. An EQ pedal in the loop took care of that issue for me. And for reals, everyone needs an EQ.

Bugera - I've heard the 1960 and from 25 feet away i could feel it. That thing belches power. Bugera had a problem with failures in the amps when they first came out and unfortunately even after they fixed the issues the stain is still there. People that have them love them. People that don't have them say they are unreliable. Honestly they're the most bang for the buck you can get. If you get one you'll prob have to get an attenuator to get the best tone.

Blackstar makes good solid amps. One of my friends uses them with les Paul guitars and Frankenstein pickups. Great tone.

Orange. They're ok.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
in regards to Bugera I had one and toured with one for 3 years before i sold it to a friend, he then toured with it for two more years which included literally dropping it off the top of the car. people talk them down because they are cheap chinese clones but most chinese shops nowadays are as good as any other

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yup. The 50-watt 5150 III (The ones Fender makes) is insanely musical. It also has 3 channels. It's great.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Wark Say posted:

Yup. The 50-watt 5150 III (The ones Fender makes) is insanely musical. It also has 3 channels. It's great.

Yep, the 5150 III is really cool.

Everybody goes nuts over the the lead red channel, and they're justified, but the blue channel on that thing is incredible too. It's like the lead channel but with the gain turned down quite a bit while retaining a ton of thickness and definition. Also it's super touch sensitive/dynamic.

Great amp.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i wasn't all that impressed with it when i tried one, but i was probably unfairly comparing it to the old 5150 which really is a different amp

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i wasn't all that impressed with it when i tried one, but i was probably unfairly comparing it to the old 5150 which really is a different amp

well that's the amp i meant

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Blackstars to me sound like Marshall if someone went in and cleaned up the raspy poo poo in the top end that all Marshalls have. But then that raspy poo poo is part of the Marshall character and without it Blackstars sound more generic and a little dark. They're fine and work fine for most styles of music. Just a 'jack of all trades master of none ' type sound.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
The original Bugera run apparently did have a lot of failures but the fixed those issues. People that try to gauge quality by where an amp is made are a little retarded. Tube rolling is easy as hell in the current Bugera line. I think if I was going specifically for JCM800 on a budget I'd get that Bugera 1990 and find the right tube combo to get the sound on point. I think stock you could get pretty close.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Bugera and Jet City make really good amps for the money. Last year, one of the bands I recorded rolled around with one Jet City Custom 22 head and it sounded FIERCE. I was a bit incredulous due to the fact that it cost them like 300 bucks or something like that and that, for a 20-watt amp, it just wouldn't quit.

Unironic Ska Dad
Feb 17, 2010

Too fat to skank.
Ever since I won an iPad in a company xmas raffle and traded it plus $100 for a Blues Deluxe (not the RI), upgraded with a celestion vintage 30. I've surprisingly have become pretty zen with this amp. I don't find myself seeking other amps like I do pedals, for example. I don't play anything heavier than some punk rock. Mostly ska and dub, exp noise... I've replaced a socket on it (yes, the pain in the rear end PCB mounted ones). And have recovered and customized the appearance. I tore off the cosmetically poor old tolex and covered it in plaid fabric and did a modge podge/ acrylic finish. I'll post a pic soon. But I just love my amp. Yes, I might marry it.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'm already in love and I haven't even seen it yet!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

massive spider posted:

Blackstars to me sound like Marshall if someone went in and cleaned up the raspy poo poo in the top end that all Marshalls have. But then that raspy poo poo is part of the Marshall character and without it Blackstars sound more generic and a little dark. They're fine and work fine for most styles of music. Just a 'jack of all trades master of none ' type sound.

This is a great description and one I agree with, mine was always solid, sounded good but lack soul, you could fix it with pedals though I found

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Also I've never played a real jet city but Amplitube has a jet city brand model pack and the 20 watt sounds better than the 100 watt for some reason.

I'd pick one up but I've had bad experiences gigging 20 watt amps in places that are too shoddy to mic up the backine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

If 20 watt mini heads or whatever were worth a drat live I would have switched to one a long time ago. Anything less than a 40 water is pretty tragic for gigs. The headroom on those valveking minis drops to nothing almost immediately. Suddenly you cant do any meaningful adjustments to tone through the EQ and every pedal just seems to affect the gain but doesn't push tone. It's weird because they're louder but not anymore effective than a line6 combo past that one meter in front wherepeople think they sound ok.