Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

baquerd posted:

Thanks for the very detailed response. That Shiro Kamo R2 is calling to me, I think I'm going to have to practice sharpening a bunch before I touch it myself though. Looks like the 210mm is out of stock though.

One interesting (comedy?) option I found was these guys: https://www.amazon.com/DALSTRONG-Chefs-Knife-Shogun-Hammered/dp/B01FXYVDEO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 It's bordering on garish, but they are remarkable because I can find essentially no negative reviews. They seem to be marketing masters, are they like the Cutco of China?

The Takamura that I mentioned is a better low cost option than that one. I would not trust that knife to actually be made of what they claim it is. It also looks to be very handle heavy, not the best for a pinch grip.

I'd consider a 240mm knife, the 210mm versions are really quite different knives and should not just be considered smaller versions of the 240mm ones. The 210mm Kurosaki Megumi for instance is very different than its bigger brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I got Tojiro chefs and paring knives for Christmas and I'm finding the chefs knife is already quite blunt. I use it to cook with on average about 4-5 times a week, is this normal?

I have two boards, one is bamboo and the other is just a normal wood.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Red_Fred posted:

I got Tojiro chefs and paring knives for Christmas and I'm finding the chefs knife is already quite blunt. I use it to cook with on average about 4-5 times a week, is this normal?

I have two boards, one is bamboo and the other is just a normal wood.

Two months of frequent use sounds about right for a VG-10 knife, especially softer VG-10 like you find in the Tojiro DP line.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Are you honing the knife on a steel or ceramic hone like you should be?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

CrazyLittle posted:

Are you honing the knife on a steel or ceramic hone like you should be?

I am not. How long would I expect this to extend the sharpness if I did? Assume I do this a bit before each use?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

baquerd posted:

The OP is quite out of date with broken images.

I want a high-end stainless chef's knife, is Shun Premier a good starting point, or what should I be looking for in the sub $500 range? I like pinch grip and minimal care.

I also want a gently caress-off cleaver to cleave bones. What should I look at there?

For the chef's knife look into nenox. One of the best chef's knives I've ever used, and they're beautiful.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

I am not. How long would I expect this to extend the sharpness if I did? Assume I do this a bit before each use?

Not very. Honing steels are a temporary solution to maintain maximum sharpness on a recently sharpened knife. A good metric for knife dullness is when your steel doesn't produce a good cutting edge any more. At that point you need to sharpen again. Another good metric is if you try to slice herbs (scallion is good for this) and you hear a crunching sound your knife is dull. If you hear more of a "shh" sound you're still good. If you can't push cut, use a steel.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Red_Fred posted:

With frequent home cook use I would expect a good quality knife to go anywhere from a week to a month feeling good if you're not honing it. Honing would extend it out to at least six months. You shouldn't need to actually sharpen and re-profile the edge of your knives more than twice a year, *edit* unless you're a cook using the knives at work.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 4, 2017

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

With frequent home cook use I would expect a good quality knife to go anywhere from a week to a month feeling good if you're not honing it. Honing would extend it out to at least six months. You shouldn't need to actually sharpen and re-profile the edge of your knives more than twice a year, even if you're a cook.

Wait, what? Are you saying this from experience? I work in a professional kitchen (Japanese restaurant) and we all sharpen our knives at least once a week (once every two weeks if we're stretching it). Our knives range from $200-$600 a piece.

Something to mention is that knives should be sharpened relatively frequently. Constant sharpening makes for ultimately a sharper knife since you become more used to sharpening your knife, and the edge profile becomes more even over time. You shouldn't wait for it to get dull, you should do it just as it starts to show signs of degradation. This also makes the process faster since sharpening a knife from complete dullness to full sharpness takes much longer than going from relative sharpness to full sharpness.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
What're you doing to your knife that you need to re-profile the blade that frequently?

I agree with though and rereading my last sentence is kinda wrong. I'll edit

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 4, 2017

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Verisimilidude posted:

Wait, what? Are you saying this from experience? I work in a professional kitchen (Japanese restaurant) and we all sharpen our knives at least once a week (once every two weeks if we're stretching it). Our knives range from $200-$600 a piece.

Something to mention is that knives should be sharpened relatively frequently. Constant sharpening makes for ultimately a sharper knife since you become more used to sharpening your knife, and the edge profile becomes more even over time. You shouldn't wait for it to get dull, you should do it just as it starts to show signs of degradation. This also makes the process faster since sharpening a knife from complete dullness to full sharpness takes much longer than going from relative sharpness to full sharpness.

I think that would be pretty excessive for a home cook. Even someone who's cooking a whole lot probably never makes more than 2 meals a day at home. So the average joe's knife probably sees less action in a couple weeks than yours see in a day.

I agree that frequent sharpening on your finest stone is probably a better idea than waiting six months and then having to go to a coarser stone because your edge is all messed up, but even an avid home cook should never need to sharpen more than once a month if they use a good cutting board and take good care of their knives.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

KingColliwog posted:

I think that would be pretty excessive for a home cook. Even someone who's cooking a whole lot probably never makes more than 2 meals a day at home. So the average joe's knife probably sees less action in a couple weeks than yours see in a day.

I agree that frequent sharpening on your finest stone is probably a better idea than waiting six months and then having to go to a coarser stone because your edge is all messed up, but even an avid home cook should never need to sharpen more than once a month if they use a good cutting board and take good care of their knives.

My issue was that the post I quoted spoke about professional cooks. Your regular home cook probably doesn't need to sharpen every week, but sharpening close to when the edge starts to show signs of less-than-optimal sharpness is doable at a roughly once-per-month frequency, especially since at that point it takes 15-30 minutes to bring it back to razor sharp. If you favor yourself a knife enthusiast or a culinarian just give it a shot. Your knife will appreciate it.

Dommer416
Aug 4, 2013

Hello little children your uncle is here.
.-. Our cutco knives at home appear to be dwarfed! Didn't know that there was literally any shape and size of knife.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Verisimilidude posted:

My issue was that the post I quoted spoke about professional cooks. Your regular home cook probably doesn't need to sharpen every week, but sharpening close to when the edge starts to show signs of less-than-optimal sharpness is doable at a roughly once-per-month frequency, especially since at that point it takes 15-30 minutes to bring it back to razor sharp. If you favor yourself a knife enthusiast or a culinarian just give it a shot. Your knife will appreciate it.

Sorry I'm not a native english speaker and I didn't get that "cook" meant professional cook in his sentence.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Most home cooks aren't going to need to sharpen their knives literally every week, but almost all home cooks should be sharpening their knives more frequently than they do. Getting in the habit of touching up the edge on the blades you're using is a good general practice---if you just keep using the thing until it feels dull then you're waiting too long. So if not every week, every couple weeks or once a month or something. It's really something you can't generalise about because it's going to be so dependent on your use pattern, what knives you're using, and so on.

There's also really no downside to routine sharpening, and the amount of extra effort is tiny compared to the amount of time you spend washing dishes and other pain in the rear end kitchen maintenance tasks that you don't really want to do either. But it's not like you're going to find yourself going oh poo poo my knives, they're just too easy to use I totally hosed up there.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So the OP is old as heck. I have some crap grade kitchen knives, I am not a professional, or even very good, but I would like to sharpen my knives. Is there a braindead simple but quality sharpening device I can look to pick up or should I just grab one off amazon that has good reviews? I did read the OP but the suggestions feel very outdated. (One of the websites used comic sans)

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Knifegrab posted:

So the OP is old as heck. I have some crap grade kitchen knives, I am not a professional, or even very good, but I would like to sharpen my knives. Is there a braindead simple but quality sharpening device I can look to pick up or should I just grab one off amazon that has good reviews? I did read the OP but the suggestions feel very outdated. (One of the websites used comic sans)

I currently use fake edgepro + real edgepro stones + strop with honing compound. Not a sharpening expert, but this combo leaves me with a nicely sharp blade that easily handles all the normal sharpening tests, and is quite nice to work with practically speaking. This combo requires a bare minimum of talent and skill, and practically speaking you can either skip the strop or use edgepro polishing strips instead. Upgrading to a real edgepro would probably improve that more, but that's easily doubling your cost.

But for best value, I'd suggest the below combo and call it a day. Use the fake edgepro with the real stones, simply following the blatantly stolen and copied instructions. I guess you can use the fake stones if you want to reset an edge or just practice the motions on a total junk knife, but they are crap.

This: https://www.amazon.com/AGPtek-Profe...gptek+sharpener
With these stones: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CIV5VSK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CIUUDRU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
My knock-off edge pro doesn't stick to any surface. The suction mounts are useless, I've never used it successfully.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
My edge pro knock off the highest stone is 1500. Do I need to get one higher? Also thinking of just getting some stones now i've used it a couple of times and not bothering with it I doubt its that much harder

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm going to chime in and say that I do not like the fake EdgePro (that AGPTek one specifically) and I do not find it drop dead simple. The angle markings aren't correct and the instructions are confusing. I have never found any device that I like that's foolproof that works well for the more acutely angled Japanese-style knives everyone loves in this thread (including me, not judging). So I freehand the knives I don't care about as much on a DuoSharp and anything else I have done professionally.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Ferret King posted:

My knock-off edge pro doesn't stick to any surface. The suction mounts are useless, I've never used it successfully.

You could try to put it down on a bit of tightly secured grippy stuff. One of my cups doesn't really stick, but I've not had issues figuring out ways to secure it. You could probably just vice grip it at any rate, the device as a whole doesn't actually need to be flat on a surface to have the knife be flat to the stone.

Jose posted:

My edge pro knock off the highest stone is 1500. Do I need to get one higher? Also thinking of just getting some stones now i've used it a couple of times and not bothering with it I doubt its that much harder

I wouldn't even use those stones. Try getting the edgepro 1000 grit stone, I bet you will get a much better edge than your 1500 knock-off.

guppy posted:

I'm going to chime in and say that I do not like the fake EdgePro (that AGPTek one specifically) and I do not find it drop dead simple. The angle markings aren't correct and the instructions are confusing. I have never found any device that I like that's foolproof that works well for the more acutely angled Japanese-style knives everyone loves in this thread (including me, not judging). So I freehand the knives I don't care about as much on a DuoSharp and anything else I have done professionally.

Interestingly enough, the instructions are actually blatantly stolen from the real EdgePro.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Saw this on facebook: https://kamikoto.com/collections/store/products/kanpeki-knife-set?utm_source=facebook&utm_content=SHOPNOW_FOREWARD_STEPS6

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

That's a hell of a discount. I'm tempted, at least.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

This just reeks of bullshit in so many ways.

Overinflated price, but for a limited time you get an AMAZING discount.
Try to imply it's made in Japan by traditional craftsmen; it is not.
"Nakiri meat cleaver" A nakiri is not a meat cleaver.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Scott808 posted:

This. :lol:

I missed the "Nakiri meat cleaver" bit the first time since I closed it so fast after seeing the price and the comically short Sujihiki.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

So they're made in China despite all of the vague statements about Japanese history and craftsmanship, and otherwise heavily implying that they're made in Japan. Still trying to dig up more. I also notice many of their anonymous five star reviews seem to have consistently abnormal punctuation , as well as similar phrasing and statements from one review to another . As a professional chef You won't be disappointed!!!

Also, yeah they have numerous listings around the web where they're being sold at a huge "discount" relative to their supposed MSRP. Oh and I found a bunch people trying to offload used sets too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey guys their web store has two options should I go for the $1300 option and pay full price or should I go for the hugely discounted option at 85% off for the exact same thing

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I was thinking it was a pricing error...hadn't really looked into it much. Glad I didn't order then, based on what y'all said!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Shooting Blanks posted:

I was thinking it was a pricing error...hadn't really looked into it much. Glad I didn't order then, based on what y'all said!

wait you're making a mistake

you should order ASAP, don't do the delay custom order option, I think these guys are going to fix their pricing error and be charging full price anyways, and probably will chargeback on your card and hurt your credit score. but you can't miss this deal on a set of 3 good knives.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Shooting Blanks posted:

IMO if you're looking for a good knife stop shopping for "bargains" and instead shop for a quality product that meets your needs and budget. It's just going to lead to wasting money on poo poo that could have gone to something quality the first time. $220 can easily buy you a high quality gyuto.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Just check chefknivestogo's clearance section. Nothing they carry is bad, and you'll probably get a decent discount.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Scott808 posted:

IMO if you're looking for a good knife stop shopping for "bargains" and instead shop for a quality product that meets your needs and budget. It's just going to lead to wasting money on poo poo that could have gone to something quality the first time.

Also do this for everything that isn't a kitchen knife too. Citation: when I don't do this it burns me 100% of the time.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Scott808 posted:

Also this: https://reviewmeta.com/brand/kamikoto

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Never knew that site existed, thanks.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Just check chefknivestogo's clearance section. Nothing they carry is bad, and you'll probably get a decent discount.

I don't know how you can flat out say nothing CKTG carries is bad. It depends on what you think is bad, but Mark seems to openly poo poo talk some of the stuff he's sold in the past. His own Richmond house brand knives made by Lamson were reported to have issues; to be fair I've never used or handled one myself, so I cannot personally say. His newer house line Yahiko doesn't sound so great either.

http://www.chefknivestogoforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=144

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
just my two cents, and unrelated to CKTG - but I will never order poo poo from japanesechefsknife.com again, and openly suggest no goon use this outlet. Between the quality of knife I got from the site, and the horrible customer service, I've got a vote of no confidence.

shame, the mr. itou stuff looks really nice. but I'm not willing to risk hundreds of dollars on a gamble for a decent knife again. fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me and so on.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 30, 2017

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

mindphlux posted:

I will never order poo poo from CKTG again, and openly suggest no goon use this outlet. Between the quality of knife I got from the site, and the horrible customer service, I've got a vote of no confidence.

shame, the mr. itou stuff looks really nice. but I'm not willing to risk hundreds of dollars on a gamble for a decent knife again. fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me and so on.

I thought that was japanesechefsknife.com that you had problems with? "Mr. Itou" only shows up on that site, at least.

e: It looks like Mark had a few back in 2014, but that's it that I can find.
2e: This is the JCK story I remember. If you had problems with CKTG, maybe you're just jinxed with knife dealers?

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 29, 2017

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

The Richmond Addict I bought from them was decidedly mediocre.

Both knives I've bought from Jon at JKI have been really great.

Thoht fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 29, 2017

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I've bought two knives from CKTG and they were both good. What better places are there to get knives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

fart simpson posted:

I've bought two knives from CKTG and they were both good. What better places are there to get knives?

I've ordered some stuff from CKTG once years ago, and I've gotten what I ordered, so my one experience with them was positive. I have seen some stuff that I find mildly distasteful from them since then that makes me a bit hesitant to do business with them again if I have other options.

I've personally done business with these vendors and had a positive experience with all of them.
https://japanesechefsknife.com/
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/
http://korin.com/
http://www.knivesandstones.com/

I have not personally done business with these, but as far as I know they all have good reputations.
http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/
http://aframestokyo.com/
http://bernalcutlery.com/
http://www.epicedge.com/
http://www.metalmaster-ww.com/
http://stores.ebay.com/BluewayJapan

MetalMaster (also on eBay) is known to be non-communicative and somewhat slow on the shipping, but the order always shows up. He was one of the big sources of cheap nashiji ginsanko Tanaka knives.
Bernal Cutlery sells the Ashi Hamono Ginga, which is very similar to the Japanese Knife Imports (JKI) Gesshin Ginga. The Ginga is made by Ashi Hamono, but the Gesshin version is slightly harder than the regular version, the spine and choil are more rounded, and Jon from JKI does a bit of work on it in house as well.

• Locked thread