Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

fleshy echidna posted:

Hey guys I have a real problem. I used to be a death wizard who was prolonging his life through the use of a necromantic amulet, but just yesterday I accidentally mixed dragon's blood with ooze acid and well I've just darn near melted my whole body off. Does this mean I'm a lich now? I've always considered "boning up" but now I seriously have to face the consequences of this action and I'm worried that my A.D.W.A membership might be revoked. Any advice for what to do after an accidental lichification?

until you can grow a new body in a vat, welcome to lich life. Every evil wizard goes through this stage, it's basically a rite of passage. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

fleshy echidna posted:

Hey guys I have a real problem. I used to be a death wizard who was prolonging his life through the use of a necromantic amulet, but just yesterday I accidentally mixed dragon's blood with ooze acid and well I've just darn near melted my whole body off. Does this mean I'm a lich now? I've always considered "boning up" but now I seriously have to face the consequences of this action and I'm worried that my A.D.W.A membership might be revoked. Any advice for what to do after an accidental lichification?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7S0uAph_fo

naem
May 29, 2011

key party favors posted:

until you can grow a new body in a vat, welcome to lich life. Every evil wizard goes through this stage, it's basically a rite of passage. Good luck!

I mean, I personally assume anyone studying necromancy has a flesh vat, they teach you that first semester

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
Is a Sorceror an evil wizard by definition who's also willing to work with forces from which an evil wizard would tuck tail and run?

naem
May 29, 2011

Socks4Hands posted:

Is a Sorceror an evil wizard by definition who's also willing to work with forces from which an evil wizard would tuck tail and run?

Sorcerers use CHA instead of INT for their base mana points (I call them CHAd's)

fleshy echidna
Apr 11, 2010
Thanks for the advice and support guys, now that I've basically got the tedious part over of removing most of my organs I think I'm gonna man up and find me the eyes of some innocent intelligent creature to use as the catalyst for a proper phylactery of glass and flesh.

Hopefully I can find a wise eagle or some other goody two shoes quest giver/ last minute bullshit rescuer to make this work. Will post results later!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

fleshy echidna posted:

Thanks for the advice and support guys, now that I've basically got the tedious part over of removing most of my organs I think I'm gonna man up and find me the eyes of some innocent intelligent creature to use as the catalyst for a proper phylactery of glass and flesh.

Hopefully I can find a wise eagle or some other goody two shoes quest giver/ last minute bullshit rescuer to make this work. Will post results later!

very nice.

:hfive:

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
What about "Pataphysical Theurgists? You know, those deathwish motherfuckers playing with the literal fire of the Gods? They seem to use IMA (Imagination) as a base stat, but it combines bonkers well with CHA and INT when actually applied. It even pretends to be a science, and the best part is that it works!

P.S. Science is a lie, this world is powered by alchemy and occult ritual.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
I did some thinking, and it seems like the "evil" part of magic stems from the objections of others towards a practitioner exercising their Will upon the world with such (seeming) ease. It seems to boil down to an Order vs Chaos dynamic, and using magic to enforce Order against the wills of others (instead of just staying in lane and enforcing order upon their own PERSONAL lives), is the true evil.

Sing Along fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 2, 2017

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

fleshy echidna posted:

I have a few cusps of the overworld I can sell you, they fit magnificently onto the eye... just send your familiar with payment to my gloomspire...

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

key party favors posted:

I have a few cusps of the overworld I can sell you, they fit magnificently onto the eye... just send your familiar with payment to my gloomspire...

It has been done.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Automatic Slim posted:

Why settle for skeletons? Invest in golems. Sure they're way expensive but when intruders or hicks with torches and pitchforks come knocking the pants making GBS threads terror they induce is worth it.

On the other hand, why invest in golems when a skeleton horde does the job just fine? There's something to be said for restraint.

I'm not going to tell you that golems won't work - they do! But they're a brute force solution to a problem that can be solved quickly and easily by simple necromancy.

Time to lay my cards on the table here - I don't do wizardry full time anymore. I'm doing consulting. You wouldn't believe how many otherwise well-run operations - we're talking towers, dungeons , full castles, the works - get into a hole because they're overusing resources on small problems. Next thing you know, you've let your wards lapse to power your showy golems. If you can afford it don't let me stop you, but most dark wizards aren't pussiant liches tearing apart the fabric of reality at will. They're ordinary evil, trying to stay ahead of the clock with unicorn blood and the occasional virgin. A lot of these guys fail because they try to be something they're not. There's no shame in being entry -level or middle-tier evil.

The best and most common advice I can give is "use skeletons". Sometimes a cliche is a cliche for good reasons.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Why not both, as I always say? One or two golems bodies to activate when needed and a set of skeletons to do typical work and raise the alarms.

Also: RIP Alfonz, who burst into flame when he bit the apprentice paladin I was corrupting. Vampires never take a warning seriously. Rory, otoh, benefitted greatly from the experience and wants to lead a raid on a convent next month.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fleshy echidna posted:

you don't have a backup clone body? what is wrong with you man

naem posted:

Sorcerers use CHA instead of INT for their base mana points (I call them CHAd's)

CHADS! :argh:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Not as bad as those loving muscle wizards who cast with their STR. Those guys are minmaxing bastards!

naem
May 29, 2011

jon joe posted:

Not as bad as those loving muscle wizards who cast with their STR. Those guys are minmaxing bastards!

*muscle wizard casts HIGH PROTEIN DIET FART*

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

fleshy echidna posted:

You'll know if you're a lich, my dude. There won't be any question about it. Grow or steal some new flesh, whatever makes you the most comfortable in your own skin.

Keep The Laws

Socks4Hands posted:

naem posted:

It's okay to ask questions, new friend.

fleshy echidna posted:

Good to see you're on the right track.

Socks4Hands posted:

I did some thinking, and it seems like the "evil" part of magic stems from the objections of others towards a practitioner exercising their Will upon the world with such (seeming) ease. It seems to boil down to an Order vs Chaos dynamic, and using magic to enforce Order against the wills of others (instead of just staying in lane and enforcing order upon their own PERSONAL lives), is the true evil.

You're so close!

naem posted:

That's a powerful spell, make sure you can cast it safely before you start slinging it constantly... and you will be slinging it constantly once you find how effective it is. Good synergies with skeletons and other magically animated minions, they're immune to poisoning.

Now goblins and kobolds, on the other hand... love it. They love* that magical fart smell. It has... unexpected results.

*indiscriminate berserker lust, actually

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'm an evil Setup Wizard.
Few people realise end user licence agreements are binding magical contracts. I've been slipping soul ownership transfer clauses in them for years and basically own everyone at this point

I also bundle McAfee Antivirus with everything.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

bitterandtwisted posted:

I also bundle McAfee Antivirus with everything.

You are the evil overwizard. I take off my evil magic hat to you.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
It's worth pointing out that Facebook and Twitter are quite obviously soul traps.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

You're so close!

Are you pro-chaos or anti-chaos? Let's just say I watched the Lego Movie and learned the hard way.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Socks4Hands posted:

Are you pro-chaos or anti-chaos? Let's just say I watched the Lego Movie and learned the hard way.

There is order in chaos, and chaos in order.

Such are The Laws.

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Aug 29, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

There is order in chaos, and chaos in order.

Such are The Laws.

So there's a method to the madness...

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Okay, so I pledged my eternal soul to D'Andee, the Vile Rat of Politopos, and while it was a pretty sweet deal at first -- he made me an ambassador-priest and everything -- there are now adventurers outside my castle and I hear magic missiles going off.

I think I'm hosed. Whatever happens, don't let me cameo in a lovely, disrespectful movie by Michael Bay!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Screaming Idiot posted:

Okay, so I pledged my eternal soul to D'Andee, the Vile Rat of Politopos, and while it was a pretty sweet deal at first -- he made me an ambassador-priest and everything -- there are now adventurers outside my castle and I hear magic missiles going off.

I think I'm hosed. Whatever happens, don't let me cameo in a lovely, disrespectful movie by Michael Bay!

duder its magic missiles. Set your contingency, (which you have should have done when you wake up newb bad wizard) and cast reflect. then timetravel back in time and eat their parents.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Speleothing posted:

I'm definitely evil, but never sure if my powers are wizardry, psionics, or from a dark god.

What's the best way to check?

All of the above!

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Socks4Hands posted:

It has been done.

Sent. Sorry if my Basilisk ate your familiar... Also, use those cusps with caution, I knew a wizard after them, and got totally owned by a tagteam of an extra-planar parasite and a sly thief... I'm just saying if you try to use a vat-grown extra-terrestrial parasite to control your thralls, you might get bit in the butt...

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

key party favors posted:

Sent. Sorry if my Basilisk ate your familiar... Also, use those cusps with caution, I knew a wizard after them, and got totally owned by a tagteam of an extra-planar parasite and a sly thief... I'm just saying if you try to use a vat-grown extra-terrestrial parasite to control your thralls, you might get bit in the butt...

My face is blank as I read this, but my eyes* are laughing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySjXFjLTagQ

Sing Along fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 3, 2017

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Aug 29, 2012

Socks4Hands posted:

My face is blank as I read this, but my eyes* are laughing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySjXFjLTagQ

A suh, Bro? You get that farm? Good. It's time for round two.

HAVE YOU SEEN BRUCE RICHARD REYNOLDS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQqGuufyLlg

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Socks4Hands posted:

Ffs if you're anti chaos then you are inherently pro chaos. Harry Potter bs. :colbert:

necroid
May 14, 2009

naem posted:

I tried to corner that market years ago OC DO NOT STEAL

wizards are cool

even loser stoner wizards

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

the proper term is fecomancer

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
:golfclap:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yo new Lich dude, in case you get bored, some cool poo poo to try out:

1) set your phylactery in the eye sockets of a ship's mermaid figurehead. BOOM! Instant ghost ship! Skeleton pirates, monkey demon parrots, all the spooky fog you can cast!

2) if you don't want to get bothered all the time, just toss that poo poo into a dragon's treasure hoard. They'll fight to the death over every bronze and copper piece and if you're lucky your 'lac will corrupt them after only a few years, making them your big bony lizard bitch

3) I heard of this Dwarven lich who used some goblin booster rockets to launch his 'lac into low orbit. Dude is like 6,000 years old now, I've met eleven mage knights who keep mistaking him for an elder god because know one can figure out how to fuckin' end the dude, his phylactery is flying through the material plane at speeds a friggin' air elemental couldn't touch.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 14, 2017

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord
Hey everybody, Evil Wizarding student here. I decided to go with necromancy after all! But now I'm coming into a fork in the road. My advisor is pushing me to specialize in ghosts, says it's an up and coming field. "Transparent Glowing Green is the new Black" were his exact words. I'd always seen myself going more for the skeleton/zombie route but I hear there's some guys doing rad poo poo with ghosts out in Necronomicon Valley. I saw an article that HexTech has been putting poltergeists to good work in raising dark towers for their new 666G network. I've always been inspired by their motto ("Be Evil") and it looks like ghostbinding has come a long way in just the last 5 years. If anything ghosts are lower upkeep than skeletons and they're smarter than zombies, and as a free bonus you get all the ectoplasm you could ever need so... I guess I'm asking if anyone's had a bad experience with ghosts? Any reason I shouldn't go for it?

Vlonald Prump fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 14, 2017

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Biggest problems with ghosts come from the fact that most forms of ghost require some of their own unliving will to function. Skeletons are great because they don't have their own motives, but ghosts definitely do, and they're all slightly different. Even the ones with something that seems broad, like "kill all living things" usually do better work within a mile of where they died/their desecrated remains are. Modern ghostbinding uses forms of geas and mind control to get ghosts to behave, which is kinda trading one problem for another. You absolutely cannot get sloppy with ghosts, because an unchecked vengeful poltergeist is uniquely capable of wrecking your poo poo at the worst possible time. At HexTech, any sort of ghost-related misstep means you immediately join the ghostforce building those towers.

All that said, a good evil career can be built on ghosts, and they'll probably be getting a lot of attention in the next couple of decades, at minimum. But physical undead will never go out of style.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Re: phylacteries

If you are worried about your phylacteries, you should upgrade to an empowered phylactery. It is more expensive to create, (the sacrificed virgins alone are a bank breaker) but the extra defenses are really worth it. It also makes you more powerful, which is always nice. If you are on a budget, there are phylactery protection services. If you can trust them, I am not familiar with your level of paranoia and distrust. Due to a recent incident where some paladins tried to give me a cursed relic I have come into possession of several more cathedrals, so I have no shortage of places to hide my phylactery.

Re: Ghosts

The biggest problem with ghosts is that they are incorporeal. They are a great early warning system, they are great at scaring people off, they are great at possessing weak willed people and objects. But they can't actually physically touch those things. Ever ask a ghost to move something? They'll posses it and hurl it across the room. That has its uses, but not when you need to move your collection of crystal preserved souls. Also they do little to deter exceptionally strong willed individuals who are also less vulnerable to possession. Ghosts are useful, but you have to know how to use them.

naem
May 29, 2011

be careful, I messed up the binding on some ghosts I summoned and the freshman dorm was haunted for like two years. Every night at 2 am "WHY HAST THOU SUMMONED ME WHY HAST THOU DISTURBED MY ANCIENT SLUMBER"

It was a project for class now stop disturbing MY slumber. Sheesh!!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
if you have ghost problems just summon a soul eating demon to take care of it, they are its natural predators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

But what do you do with the soul eating demon you're stuck with? Look it's better to prevent issues from happening in the first place.

• Locked thread