Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah I guess it's been a while since anyone made this clear, but neither this thread nor this subforum are "Negro Q&A." If you want to know why black people do X you can ask your racist uncle like all the other white kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

there wolf posted:

At least some prosecutors and judges don't have time for that poo poo. They used the anti-gang laws against those assholes who spent two days driving around Douglasville, drinking, waving Confederate flags, and ultimately rolling up on a child's birthday party to threaten the family with guns.

So I'm guessing these guys weren't brave enough to take their shitshow to West Atlanta or East Point or any other area ITP where there they would have been run out on a rail over this poo poo. It's amazing how bigots are so careful when it comes to picking and choosing their targets.

Veskit posted:

I was upset by the punishment those 2 got, but overall I'm fairly upset at the criminal justice system and especially how long black people go to jail.

What will they learn in 17 that they couldn't learn in 5

Why bother with jailtime? I'm sure they can learn their lesson just as well with probation and a little community service. [/sarc]

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Domestic Amuse posted:

So I'm guessing these guys weren't brave enough to take their shitshow to West Atlanta or East Point or any other area ITP where there they would have been run out on a rail over this poo poo. It's amazing how bigots are so careful when it comes to picking and choosing their targets.

Honestly, I'm kind of getting to the point where I'm uncomfortable with this sort of "they don't have the balls to go to the rough black neighborhoods and pull this poo poo" comment. It's not like any sort of vigilantism from black people wouldn't get put down hard regardless of how deliberate the racist poo poo-stirring was. Also it give these assholes more credit than they deserve. It's not like they know where any bad neighborhoods are and choose to avoid them. They think the whole city is some benighted hellscape of drugs and gang wars. Might as well say they aren't brave enough to take their poo poo to World of Coke.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

there wolf posted:

Honestly, I'm kind of getting to the point where I'm uncomfortable with this sort of "they don't have the balls to go to the rough black neighborhoods and pull this poo poo" comment. It's not like any sort of vigilantism from black people wouldn't get put down hard regardless of how deliberate the racist poo poo-stirring was. Also it give these assholes more credit than they deserve. It's not like they know where any bad neighborhoods are and choose to avoid them. They think the whole city is some benighted hellscape of drugs and gang wars. Might as well say they aren't brave enough to take their poo poo to World of Coke.

Which is what you're doing right now.

They're cowards and cowards tend to understand where they can carry on their nonsense and where they could face serious amounts of ridicule, pushback or both.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

there wolf posted:

hehehehehe

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Domestic Amuse posted:

Which is what you're doing right now.

They're cowards and cowards tend to understand where they can carry on their nonsense and where they could face serious amounts of ridicule, pushback or both.

I've giving them too much credit by saying they're too dumb and racist to distinguish between good and bad neighborhoods in a large metropolitan area, and instead just assume it's all dangerous because city=bad?

When your genius plan to harass the minorities happens to align with never stepping foot outside your little bumfuck town, it's not because you're know you can't get away with it elsewhere. It's because you know you can get away with it where you are and are content to be a petty terrorist to your own neighbors.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hi yes please do not equate black neighborhoods with seething hives of crime where white people, even racist ones, would get insta-murdered. That's loving horrifically racist and you have the whole rest of SA to act like that if you want. This is the one place you can't, so respect that and stop acting like complete trash.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Mods, please change my name to "Hood of Insta-murder", tia

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Let's all heal and watch some great TV together. PBS's series Africa's Great Civilizations is up for streaming online now. Henry Louis Gates Jr. is the best and I should apologize to him for how I think of National Treasure every time I see his name.

Heard about this on the Things you Missed in History Class podcast, where they interviewed the professor heading the show,. It was tres good.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Hi yes please do not equate black neighborhoods with seething hives of crime where white people, even racist ones, would get insta-murdered. That's loving horrifically racist and you have the whole rest of SA to act like that if you want. This is the one place you can't, so respect that and stop acting like complete trash.

That's not what I was trying to convey, so please get off your goddamned high horse.

there wolf posted:

I've giving them too much credit by saying they're too dumb and racist to distinguish between good and bad neighborhoods in a large metropolitan area, and instead just assume it's all dangerous because city=bad?

I wouldn't make the mistake of underestimating these clowns, even if they are as dumb as a sackful of broken hammers. And yes, it's far more convenient for them to ride around on their home turf and harass any black people they happen to run across.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 3, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Domestic Amuse posted:

That's not what I was trying to convey, so please get off your goddamned high horse.

To be fair to Tiny Brontosaurus, what you said was really close to that kind of sentiment, even if you didn't literally write that.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Domestic Amuse posted:

Hey it's cool if there was a miscommunication but don't blame someone else for the fact that you're the one who poorly conveyed your opinions.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

biracial bear for uncut posted:

To be fair to Tiny Brontosaurus, what you said was really close to that kind of sentiment, even if you didn't literally write that.

ok

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

what point is that exactly?

edit: wow he edited it as i quoted. he initially said "still my point about TB still stands".

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

imo it is hypocritical for someone who has an avatar of a stoned equine to tell someone else to get off their high horse

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Domestic Amuse posted:

Eat poo poo and die you loving racist.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Octatonic posted:

imo it is hypocritical for someone who has an avatar of a stoned equine to tell someone else to get off their high horse

:thejoke:

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

can we go into recursive :thejoke: smilies now?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Eat poo poo and die you loving racist.

Jesus, shut the gently caress up you overdramatic piece of poo poo.

cis autodrag posted:

what point is that exactly?

edit: wow he edited it as i quoted. he initially said "still my point about TB still stands".

So much for backing out of this thread.

My point? TB is a loving drama queen who likes blowing poo poo out of proportion. To wit: TB jumping on me for being a "loving racist" after mentioning how a bunch of hillbilly fucksticks were too cowardly to ride around with Confederate flags a'wavin' and point guns at people in places where they ran the risk of getting the crap beaten out of them or getting themselves shot. It was (and probably still) poorly worded, but I don't need anyone jumping down my loving throat over it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

You should take a step back and read what you said. You're making a pretty strong implication about majority black areas and if you're saying that's what they believe you aren't clear about it and if you aren't maybe the fact that I'm not sure whether you are should be a red flag. She's deliberately trying to push you hard enough that you can't back away from it but have to engage with it, so don't try and write it off as her being a drama queen. Own up to saying it and know that that doesn't have to be you but you have to separate it from you rather than digging in to defend it.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

xthetenth posted:

You should take a step back and read what you said. You're making a pretty strong implication about majority black areas and if you're saying that's what they believe you aren't clear about it and if you aren't maybe the fact that I'm not sure whether you are should be a red flag. She's deliberately trying to push you hard enough that you can't back away from it but have to engage with it, so don't try and write it off as her being a drama queen. Own up to saying it and know that that doesn't have to be you but you have to separate it from you rather than digging in to defend it.

1. It's what they believe, which is why they tend to keep their fuckery confined to areas where they believe the resident black population to be more "docile".
2. If that's what she's trying to do (which imho isn't necessary), then she's doing a pretty lovely job of it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Domestic Amuse posted:

1. It's what they believe, which is why they tend to keep their fuckery confined to areas where they believe the resident black population to be more "docile".

OK, but this seems to be about what you believe, not what you believe about what other people believe.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Volmarias posted:

OK, but this seems to be about what you believe, not what you believe about what other people believe.

Convincing people otherwise doesn't seem to be working. Believe what you want. :shrug:

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 4, 2017

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Boy it sure is great that the thread about talking about the issues people of color face has taken the time to talk about Domestic Amuse's feelings and intent. :discourse:

So, about Betsy DeVos' comments on Historically Black Colleges. It sounds like she has no idea what she's talking about. From what I've read they were made because people of color did not have the luxury of school choice because of racist universities. How is her misconception about this going to gently caress over black people? In general, how bad is this for black people?

Also I brought something to cheer you all up. :3:

https://twitter.com/MikeElChingon/status/834878788714450944

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
The Department of Education has traditionally been the department that protects the civil rights of students. Higher Ed advocates are already concerned with the weakening of title IX enforcements. Devos not recognizing something fairly basic about American racial history does not start her off on the right foot of protecting minorities.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
The fact that she had a hand in helping to utterly and completely gently caress Detroit's public school system into the ground should already be concerning enough for how minority schools/students get treated imo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jenner posted:

Boy it sure is great that the thread about talking about the issues people of color face has taken the time to talk about Domestic Amuse's feelings and intent. :discourse:

So, about Betsy DeVos' comments on Historically Black Colleges. It sounds like she has no idea what she's talking about. From what I've read they were made because people of color did not have the luxury of school choice because of racist universities. How is her misconception about this going to gently caress over black people? In general, how bad is this for black people?

Also I brought something to cheer you all up. :3:

https://twitter.com/MikeElChingon/status/834878788714450944

It's very likely she was literally taught what she wrote and has believed it her entire life. She's a calvinist whose only formal education was to attend America's only calvinist institution of higher learning. It has huge problems with racist students right now, in 2017. I can't imagine what it would have been like in the 60s.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I'm going to ignore the previous discussion and go back to the racial/economic inequality point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlk7o5T56iw

Honestly, Body Count was pretty dated back in 1992, but I'm glad this is a thing that exists.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Threadspamming for those who only look at bookmarks!

I created a new thread on the history of populist movements who ejected/rejected disadvantaged groups from the coalition. I think it'll be interesting, and I hope for contributions of both additional examples and discussions. Please hop over and take a look, if that sort of thing is up your alley!

For contribution!

Pastrymancy posted:

The Department of Education has traditionally been the department that protects the civil rights of students. Higher Ed advocates are already concerned with the weakening of title IX enforcements. Devos not recognizing something fairly basic about American racial history does not start her off on the right foot of protecting minorities.

Incidents of racial and sexual harassment/intimidation/violence are notoriously difficult to investigate, adjudicate, and/or prosecute. They're often mishandled or ignored by police departments in the best of circumstances, and God help you if the case's context involves athletics or politics (Baylor, Penn State, Duke). A DoE that withdraws the obligations to schools to handle these things leaves it in the hands of local police.

Even an ostensibly color-blind stance of "schools or universities are not equipped to handle [category of cases], and should be leaving it to the police" is a disaster, for reasons obvious to everyone in this thread. It also denies us the dark, soulcrushing comedy of racist-rear end college football fans becoming suddenly woke if it means their star athlete misses fewer games (c.f. Lisa Simpson in Colorado, 2016 University of Minnesota Golden Gophers)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
So a local bookstore (Powell's, largest indy bookstore in the world) has had special displays up in it's windows promoting Black Lives Matter and Black authors, and they had these nice little reading suggestion postcards made up for people to take:

Figured someone here might appreciate the list of books, I can personally recommend Freedom is a Constant Struggle, Invisible Man, Kindred, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, and The Underground Railroad, the rest of them, I haven't read yet.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/stevekopack/status/838840835445833728

I... he... what?

I get that this thread prohibits rage fodder, but this is the head of a department of the US government.

:psyboom:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/stevekopack/status/838840835445833728

I... he... what?

I get that this thread prohibits rage fodder, but this is the head of a department of the US government.

:psyboom:

Now Sink.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Ben Carsons a piece of poo poo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In unsurprising but important news, a study has confirmed that black people are much more likely to be wrongly convicted of murder than white people.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

What thread would be best for discussing media such as tv and movies? Or should one be created?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Doctor Butts posted:

What thread would be best for discussing media such as tv and movies? Or should one be created?

Always create threads. Better a hundred little threads that host a nice conversation for a page or two than a stagnant wall of megathreads. Make a thread just about one show or movie in particular if you want.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Fluffdaddy posted:

since black people are not a monolith i dont understand what you are trying to get at with this question.
I understand that, but I'd like to know if there's any influences like NOI's Supreme Mathematics have had any significant impact in how some black people view or discuss metaphysics, verging on other sciences.

quote:

Do you feel like there is a pattern there -- that some white thinkers will treat broad and complex domains such as physics as heavily acculturated
Yes, but

quote:

and feel like they can ignore the currently established axioms and applications because of that perceived tainting?
They don't have to since white culture is dominant and they enjoy the privilege of being in the status quo.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

kimbo305 posted:

I understand that, but I'd like to know if there's any influences like NOI's Supreme Mathematics have had any significant impact in how some black people view or discuss metaphysics, verging on other sciences.

This is a weird racist line of questioning and the answer is never going to be anything but "black people are not a monolith"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

This is a weird racist line of questioning and the answer is never going to be anything but "black people are not a monolith"

Apologies all around. I guess I was fascinated by what little I know of Supreme Mathematics and wondered how many adherents it had if any outside of NOI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

Apologies all around. I guess I was fascinated by what little I know of Supreme Mathematics and wondered how many adherents it had if any outside of NOI.

Then ask "What influence, if any, does Supreme Mathematics and the philosophy of the NOI have on the study of metaphysics? Are there any notable academic philosophers whose work is driven by this theory?" And then you would probably get the answer "Why are you asking this here, go to a Philosophy thread."

Do you see the difference in the phrasing? Your original questions carried the assumption that (A) Black people automatically know more about Supreme Mathematics/etc, (B) Black academics automatically take this more seriously than academics of other races, and (C) any generic Black person would be able to answer this question, as opposed to individuals who specialize in the field (who may or may not be Black).

• Locked thread