Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
my name's milky and i'm here to say
mass effect andromeda is not looking good and i can't rhyme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i mean especially with that asari frowny face while scott shepard's brow wrinkles up: it looks like they actually did do a lot of mocap? but then just hosed up animating the stuff over it?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

parrrrp

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Ryder is a mess.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If I'm understanding correctly the Andromeda Initiative pulled off the Les Enfants Terribles project using Shepards DNA. Scott Ryder got the punch genes, Sarah Ryder got the brain genes, and poo poo Ryder got the leftovers.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This but unironically

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ein Sexmonster posted:

I can't believe no one's posted this screencap yet:

Caption contest time

NOOT NOOT!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

Lol if you think I'm letting the Batarians out of their pods

But if you don't unthaw them, how will you kill them later?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Krogans on planet desert trap want you to fix their poo poo before they give you the upgrades that you can only choose to partially resurrect maybe one of the crew. BUT CAN YOU AWAKEN THEM ALL OR WILL ONE POTENTIALLY JUST DIE IN THE TUBE? Only this specific Pathfinder can unfuck a colony job that went to poo poo this easily!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm going to make one twin white and the other twin black and it will be very offensive. I'm considering a letter-writing campaign.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Ainsley McTree posted:

I reflexively want to complain but actually, I don't want to have to explore 100 planets on the ground because that's way too many

I think it depends on how big each planet is. I'll be a little disappointed if there's just one Desert Planet, one Toxic Planet, one Jungle Planet, one Ice Planet, and the whole exploration system boils down to 40 fetch quests and a "good job, plant flag here" button. But I wouldn't want 100 pre-fab ME1 worlds, either.

BrianWilly posted:

I hope when your twin gets out of the pod we can see something super wrong with their model due to the accident. Like their head is on backwards. Or they're extra small.

You need to scavenge body parts to rebuild your twin. Kett rock-head, Angaran buff arms, Pyjak feet... the Krogan shell is a renegade interrupt, though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm going to make one twin white and the other twin black and it will be very offensive. I'm considering a letter-writing campaign.

Don't think you can. If it's like DA2, dad and bro will have the same skin tone you pick for Sarah.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

So what's the general consensus after seeing the most recent footage? Facial animations/dialogue seem like hot garbage but the combat looks amazing, basically the opposite of what I want :(

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

So what's the general consensus after seeing the most recent footage? Facial animations/dialogue seem like hot garbage but the combat looks amazing, basically the opposite of what I want :(

Looking around, it seems like the animations are a bit better than recent trailers, but there are still some places where the faces look off, see Dr. Asari making the Shrek and noot faces from previous pages

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 4, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
remember that the first few hours are probably better than what comes later given it's all the reviewers/early access people will be playing

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cythereal posted:

Don't think you can. If it's like DA2, dad and bro will have the same skin tone you pick for Sarah.

Actually, if you make the one you play, say, white, dad will be white, but if you then make the sibling a different race, she'll be that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

marshmallow creep posted:

Actually, if you make the one you play, say, white, dad will be white, but if you then make the sibling a different race, she'll be that.

You can make both? Thought it was just pick which one you're playing as and that's that.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

the combat looks amazing, basically the opposite of what I want :(

It's a video game, and you don't want the video game part to be fun? :confused:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nope, the devs confirmed on Twitter that dad is based on your race and face adjustment picks but sis is independent. They even answered the specific question "can I make them different races?" with "sis yes dad no."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

the good fax machine posted:

It's a video game, and you don't want the video game part to be fun? :confused:

He wants to laugh at the garbage game.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

It's going to be a good game.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
It's going to possibly be a good game buried in a lot of potential busy work. Like, I could take dumb story if its just that. But the people behind this LOVE planet scanning. So I'm worried that they're just going to tie getting anything cool behind LOADS OF BUSYWORK.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I just want to address something that I'm seeing a lot of on this sub, that is frankly, bothering me a little. I see lots and lots of people bashing on Bioware for their facial animations in this game.

Yes, some of it is... odd. I'll grant that. Yes, some of the animations on the OT were just as odd, if not worse (looking at you creepy Shep smile). I will concede both of those points.

What I'm a little buggered about is people saying stuff along the lines of "It's been 5 years since the last ME game, why haven't they gotten better?" And the answer, to be frank, is that Bioware is working with a different game engine this time, AND, ME;A will be only the second game that they've made on that engine. Different engines means different animations techniques, and those take time to learn. As someone that has done some limited 3D modeling and animation work (mostly school projects in high school and college), faces are hard to make look good even if it's just static. Animating it is a whole other level of hard.

The OT was made on the Unreal engine. ME;A is being made on the Frostbite engine. The only other game the Bioware has worked on runing Frostbite is DA;I. And it's not a given that the same people that worked on DA;I are working on ME;A. So some of these weird animations are to be expected. Can we make light hearted fun at them? Sure. Should we be bashing the devs on it? No, I don't think so.

Sorry, sir. We're out of fries.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Crabtree posted:

It's going to possibly be a good game buried in a lot of potential busy work. Like, I could take dumb story if its just that. But the people behind this LOVE planet scanning. So I'm worried that they're just going to tie getting anything cool behind LOADS OF BUSYWORK.

They said they've taken on complaints about the busywork sidequests in DAI so hopefully at least the story content had less of it

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Milky Moor posted:

remember that the first few hours are probably better than what comes later given it's all the reviewers/early access people will be playing

probaly. but i am weirdly hopeful about this game. i liked the trillogy for the most part apart from the ending of 3 and various little poo poo in all of them. i kinda dig the JJ abrams trek vibe from it. I think bioware isnt as good as they used to be, but alot of the more stupid and awful people have been let go. i mean least we have CD projects and other better devs now.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Probably 80% of the weird animation stuff happens so fast that your average person would never know about it if not for people scouring for the Next Great Meme.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Captain Oblivious posted:

Probably 80% of the weird animation stuff happens so fast that your average person would never know about it if not for people scouring for the Next Great Meme.

This.

I'm feeling the hype, the videos look very good (I've only skimmed the "first 13 minutes" video). I wonder if the "wake up scientists/soldiers/merchants" choice will play a similar role as the "chose Cullen/Leliana/Josephine in War Table missions" did for the Divine election in DA:I.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Torrannor posted:

This.

I'm feeling the hype, the videos look very good (I've only skimmed the "first 13 minutes" video). I wonder if the "wake up scientists/soldiers/merchants" choice will play a similar role as the "chose Cullen/Leliana/Josephine in War Table missions" did for the Divine election in DA:I.

Ah, you mean as in a kind of thing where the ending does poo poo like "Because Ryder woke up all the military people first he wound up causing a Fascist Military State in Andromeda that went on to conquer neighboring clusters, good job"? I could see that.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ah, you mean as in a kind of thing where the ending does poo poo like "Because Ryder woke up all the military people first he wound up causing a Fascist Military State in Andromeda that went on to conquer neighboring clusters, good job"? I could see that.

Yes, something like that, but on a smaller scale probably. They want to have more Andromeda games, and they have hopefully learned from Origins (and ME3 especially!) to tone down the end-of-game choices in terms of how much they change the setting.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Even more offensive IMO.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

what in animation

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Milky Moor posted:

Looking forward to the last cutscenes in Andromeda being just the base character models moved up and down when they're speaking like action figures.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

while you are 100% right,

makes me wish--hope, even--that the Scott and T'perro power couple comedy tour goes all game.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Does no one watch TV? Just pause the screen whenever someone is talking and you'll get a goofy face half the time.
It's generally exaggerated so people can understand your pronunciation and enunciation. Public speakers, Drill Sergeants, anyone who has a role in speaking to crowds, look like that.

Or we can just model everyone to speak like sperg-lord basement dwellers who mumble every sentence as if they're trying to be a ventriloquist.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The exploration video was awesome and I'm so much more excited for this game :3:

I hope I get time to play it. If I play Breath of the Wild for like 2-3 hours per night over the next three weeks I might be about 5% done with that game by the time Andromeda comes out.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Thor-Stryker posted:

Does no one watch TV? Just pause the screen whenever someone is talking and you'll get a goofy face half the time.
It's generally exaggerated so people can understand your pronunciation and enunciation. Public speakers, Drill Sergeants, anyone who has a role in speaking to crowds, look like that.

Or we can just model everyone to speak like sperg-lord basement dwellers who mumble every sentence as if they're trying to be a ventriloquist.

Look at this Trump apologist slash ex-Bioware animator over here. :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah those are valid points and all but on the other hand

Ein Sexmonster posted:

I can't believe no one's posted this screencap yet:

Caption contest time

succ