Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Finished the game for real. What an amazing Yoko Taro adventure.

Blattdorf posted:

Yoko Taro has entertained me over the years through Dark Id's LPs for free. He can have all my 60 euros if it comes to that.

For one reason or another, I strongly do not recommend watching an LP of this game before you've played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The only LP I'd ever watch/read of NieR: Automata would be a Dark Id LP and at the end of his last one he said he was way too busy with life to consider doing another LP soon/if ever again, so yeah.

I hope he does this game one day though.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Chip/Ironicus is also good. :colbert:

e: because chip is pretty drat good at games like MGR I'd love to see him tear through this.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 3, 2017

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Mindblast posted:

Technically? Sure. But do you really want to plink away until the heat death of the universe? Melee is stronger for a reason. Get in there and maul them!

I had problems parsing the little robots arm tornado attack in top-down view. Those sections seemed tailor made for the gun, and I preferred the sword parts.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Combine the two. It takes a little getting used to - first run through the demo area I got hit way more than required. Swat the bullets away with your pod on the approach and then wreck their stupid robot faces. You can also hit the bullets with your melee attacks to destroy them to boot. In the full game you also get other enhancements that assist with this immensely.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
How's PS4 Pro performance?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Generally good but still drops frames and at specific times performs worse than the regular version for whatever reason.

Yoko Taro wrote a thing on the US PS Blog.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/03/03/nier-automata-was-fueled-by-an-unknown-passion/

It's pretty sweet.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Steam store page is up now.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/524220/

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

2nd boss the THIS CANNOT CONTINUE version of the music in that fight is amazing. if you couldn't hear it well you should look it up on youtube, it's super catchy.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Generally good but still drops frames and at specific times performs worse than the regular version for whatever reason.

Yoko Taro wrote a thing on the US PS Blog.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/03/03/nier-automata-was-fueled-by-an-unknown-passion/

It's pretty sweet.

Yo, Yoko Taro is the best. I can't wait to play this.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The jazz in this thread has me considering getting it for PS4 instead of waiting for PC. drat. :smith:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Ciaphas posted:

The jazz in this thread has me considering getting it for PS4 instead of waiting for PC. drat. :smith:

Double dip like Sony intended.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

ntan1 posted:

For one reason or another, I strongly do not recommend watching an LP of this game before you've played it.

I can handle waiting two weeks. Already preordered. I hope the port is at least at the same level as MGR.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

buy as many copies as you can

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

What does the sound radar do?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

looks cool?

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

lets hang out posted:

buy as many copies as you can

Ask me about my JP PSN copy, my NA PSN copy, and my Steam copy.

e: I hate money.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

havenwaters posted:

Double dip like Sony intended.

Hell, I did it for MGR Revengeance. Though I think Path of Exile's new league will keep me from doing stupid things with my money for the requisite two weeks.

That, and still needing to read the NieR LP. I have no idea what the deal is still and I'm at like the two thirds mark.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Alder posted:

What does the sound radar do?

Tells you where use the scanner pod ability. It's useless, honestly.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Is the PC version getting a demo...?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It only got a solid release date today and it's in 2 weeks so I'd hedge my bets on "definitely not, no chance in hell, nuh huh"

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tells you where use the scanner pod ability. It's useless, honestly.

Welp, do you find anything cool with the scanner then?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone in SEA mind checking if the game is available on Steam? Or am I going to have to get someone in the US to gift me a copy like Revengeance again?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Alder posted:

Welp, do you find anything cool with the scanner then?

There's at least one item which is scanner only that you need to max out your pod C (City Ruins, near the broadcast tower) and a weapon in the desert.

kajeto
Mar 27, 2004
Instrumento De Muerte
Welp, I preordered this for the PS4. I don't even like Anime, but played the demo and had a ton of fun. Love the camera work.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

Anyone in SEA mind checking if the game is available on Steam? Or am I going to have to get someone in the US to gift me a copy like Revengeance again?

It's region-locked.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Alder posted:

It's region-locked.

Goddammit not again.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Yoko Taro continues to be a great thing. Thanks for sharing.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

The only LP I'd ever watch/read of NieR: Automata would be a Dark Id LP and at the end of his last one he said he was way too busy with life to consider doing another LP soon/if ever again, so yeah.

I hope he does this game one day though.

I just checked that thread to see if he plans to do this game, and I almost started crying at that news. I was really looking forward to the possibility of actually playing the game alongside him.

Rest In Peace, my hero that saved me from ever actually trying to play the last 4 games.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Some more collected post-game story thoughts:

The highlight of the game for me is 2B and 9S’ relationship: The revelation of her true nature sheds so much light on her behavior in the first half of the story. Especially, it cleared up the hang-up she has about him losing his memories, which seemed weird to me during my initial play through. Sure, his body can always be restored, but having to witness him lose his memory of her so many times must have felt excruciating… It really puts into context her line during the first ending, “You’ll lose the you that exists at this very moment!” Also her getting emotional about him despite trying to maintain distance, slipping up and calling him Nines… the fact that 9S KNOWS what she is but wants to get close to her anyway, the grave marker scene, the audio recording… there are so many absolutely heart-rending moments between them that watching Ending E made me feel so happy. They’re finally going to see each other again!

Comparatively, I feel the rest of the cast could have used a little more development. A2 especially. The second half of the game, while really striking, was kind of rushed imo. I hope the upcoming guidebook and potential bonus DLC fleshes things out a bit more…

I also have a back story-related question: I may have missed it, but did the game say where the androids, the ones who engineered the YoRHa system in order to boost morale, live? On other space satellites?

Gameplay thoughts:

I hated his play style at first, but by then end 9S became my favorite character to play as. The hacking mini-game grew on me a lot too. That extended bullet hell shooting section at the beginning of the B Route made me foam at the mouth, though. I must have died more during that sequence than any other section of the game.

My advice to everyone who has yet to play the game is please, PLEASE try to do most if not all of the side quests. They’re not just fluff, the large majority of them are extremely plot/character-relevant and you'll miss out on a TON if you skip them!

This is wonderful and seems to be the inspiration behind Ending E as a whole. I'd love it if the Dark Id does get the chance to LP this because, while I hope Yoko Taro goes on to make many more games, it's a great tribute/send-off to NieR and the fans who loved it, warts and all.

dazat fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 4, 2017

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

dazat posted:

I also have a back story-related question: I may have missed it, but did the game say where the true androids, the ones who engineered the YoRHa system in order to boost morale, live? On other space satellites?

Major spoilers time: My reading is that there never were any true androids. The Yorha system was engineered by the machines to keep the androids fighting to the best of their ability, so the machines could keep evolving from the fighting.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

Major spoilers time: My reading is that there never were any true androids. The Yorha system was engineered by the machines to keep the androids fighting to the best of their ability, so the machines could keep evolving from the fighting.

I think there were real androids at some-point as, for example, Devola and Popola units predate the machine war(s), but eventually, the machine lifeforms and YoRHa were essentially exactly the same and had the same goals and objectives.

I just got the platinum the legit way without buying any trophies and it was excellent fun. I think I'll start up a new save pretty soon.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think there were real androids at some-point as, for example, Devola and Popola units predate the machine war(s), but eventually, the machine lifeforms and YoRHa were essentially exactly the same and had the same goals and objectives.

I just got the platinum the legit way without buying any trophies and it was excellent fun. I think I'll start up a new save pretty soon.

Yeah 'never' was a bad way to phrase it. Around the timeframe of project yorha I should have said. In other words I agree w/ you

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Already posted further up this very page. But a good read yeah. :)

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
That plus the obligatory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhDL3Q86ofY
is probably the best pre-order sales pitch i've ever heard

i mean, i still wont (pre)order until i hear that the pc port wont format my c: drive or something, but the 94 metacritic rating certainly doesn't hurt either

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 4, 2017

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

I thought the game stated (either directly or via documents) that the whole YoRHa program was devised by androids who were at a loss for what to do following the extinction of man. The nature of the YoRHas is kept confidential, with the end goal being to keep up the illusion of humanity being alive and well on the Moon, so that the androids as a whole don't lose hope.

Neither side wants to win, because the androids want to retain a sense of purpose and the machines want to use the androids as stimulus to evolve. Also, the YoRHa unit AI is based off the machines because the creator androids thought using standard android AI for units destined to be destroyed was ‘inhumane’.

I’m just not sure if the androids behind the program still exist and if they do, where are they? Somewhere on Earth, or Space...? Maybe this is another thing the guidebook will clear up...

dazat fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 4, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

dazat posted:

I thought the game stated (either directly or via documents) that the whole YoRHa program was devised by androids who were at a loss for what to do following the extinction of man. The nature of the YoRHas is kept confidential, with the end goal being to keep up the illusion of humanity being alive and well on the Moon, so that the androids as a whole don't lose hope.

Neither side wants to win, because the androids want to retain a sense of purpose and the machines want to use the androids as stimulus to evolve. Also, the YoRHa unit AI is based off the machines because the creator androids thought using standard android AI for units destined to be destroyed was ‘inhumane’.

I’m just not sure if the androids behind the program still exist and if they do, where are they? Somewhere on Earth, or Space...? Maybe this is another thing the guidebook will clear up...

It says there's a minimum possible skeleton crew running the moon server where Humanity's data is stored and a piece of intel shows that not every single crate sent to moon is empty. Perhaps they're the ones doing that? They'd obviously be in the know about the facade and most invested in keeping that secret

This conversation chain is completely noob unfriendly if anyone comes in

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

:3: love this guy so much