Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

PerrineClostermann posted:

If both the charger and the device implement USB PD properly, the Switch will not request anything higher than what it can accept, and the charger will not supply anything more than the Switch wants.

That's a big if. The Switch charger is 39w, so it obviously isn't the 29w apple charger. Looking at Apple's chargers, it looks like they do 20.4v, 9v at less power than Nintendo's provides, and 5v.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I'm honestly kinda surprised that there isnt a Nintendo Seal of Approval Screen Protector, all things considered
No reviews yet
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9RG3XS

This has about 30 reviews.
https://www.amazon.com/d/B01N3ASPNV

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroduck
Aug 30, 2006

HelloWinter posted:

I can't seem to connect my Switch to my home wifi... I've looked online to see if anyone else is having the same issue and apparently there was the possibility that the Switch is not capable of connecting to wifi that's password protected??? What? Maybe I read that wrong. I just remember that the Wii U and 3DS systems were not as bad to connect with than the Switch is right now.

I just want to play the cute Paperclips demo gosh darn it...

I'm connected to Passworded Wifi but I have to be literally standing next to my Router to get any kind of connection. I can be looking at my router from the other side of the room and be at no bar connectivity until I move closer.

Seems poo poo. Maybe I just got a bad switch.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there a way to hard shutdown a Switch from menu when it's docked? Only option is sleep mode, which is nifty if I plan on playing again soon, but for the night, I'd prefer shutting it down completely. I can't seem to find the option, and pressing the power button on the Switch just puts it in sleep mode (I found that out after waking up this morning and having it instantly boot up).

Just feels weird leaving it in sleep mode all the time, I can't help but feel that isn't best for battery longevity.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Astroduck posted:

I'm connected to Passworded Wifi but I have to be literally standing next to my Router to get any kind of connection. I can be looking at my router from the other side of the room and be at no bar connectivity until I move closer.

Seems poo poo. Maybe I just got a bad switch.

Yeah, same here I think. I just can't seem to make it pick up my own wifi router while, for some reason, it is fully able to pick up the ones from my next door neighbours...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Loopoo posted:

Is there a way to hard shutdown a Switch from menu when it's docked? Only option is sleep mode, which is nifty if I plan on playing again soon, but for the night, I'd prefer shutting it down completely. I can't seem to find the option, and pressing the power button on the Switch just puts it in sleep mode (I found that out after waking up this morning and having it instantly boot up).

Just feels weird leaving it in sleep mode all the time, I can't help but feel that isn't best for battery longevity.

Do you hard power off your phone every night?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Someone was asking about a teardown of the dock.

Here you go: https://www.fictiv.com/blog/posts/nintendo-switch-teardown

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
Sounds like everyone is having a ton of trouble with the Switch. I haven't bought one yet because Walmart had like 50 in stock (online inventory checker) but they had nobody working electronics this morning and everyone I stopped was like "ohh,..... no...... no Switch. No Switch." So I just kinda gave up because I had to get to class.

I did order Switch Zelda, though, today. So I guess I'm gonna get one? But I keep hearing all these problems like screens being straight broken to scratches to sync issues and Joycons not working and poo poo and I dunno. Like, I dunno, guys. But I already loving bought Zelda.

But that's like the only game right now. And SnipperClips (obv.). I want 1-2 Switch to play with my nephews but gently caress 50 dollars for it. I'd be comfortable at 20, 30 MAX.

I don't even know what I'm asking here. Can someone just assuage my fears about the Switch being a lovely console? I mean, I already have a PS4 and a really old computer.

Does the scratching on the Switch (from the dock) touch the screen where gameplay happens?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

BambooEarpick posted:

Sounds like everyone is having a ton of trouble with the Switch. I haven't bought one yet because Walmart had like 50 in stock (online inventory checker) but they had nobody working electronics this morning and everyone I stopped was like "ohh,..... no...... no Switch. No Switch." So I just kinda gave up because I had to get to class.

I did order Switch Zelda, though, today. So I guess I'm gonna get one? But I keep hearing all these problems like screens being straight broken to scratches to sync issues and Joycons not working and poo poo and I dunno. Like, I dunno, guys. But I already loving bought Zelda.

But that's like the only game right now. And SnipperClips (obv.). I want 1-2 Switch to play with my nephews but gently caress 50 dollars for it. I'd be comfortable at 20, 30 MAX.

I don't even know what I'm asking here. Can someone just assuage my fears about the Switch being a lovely console? I mean, I already have a PS4 and a really old computer.

Does the scratching on the Switch (from the dock) touch the screen where gameplay happens?

The pictures I've seen put the majority of the scratches on the bezel for the most part.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Bombadilillo posted:

Is this a joke or have you not looked at dock yet?

Afaik, it's mostly air, but I want to know if the usb->hdmi part uses some exotic circuitry or will there be unlicensed 3rd party docks out next week.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Astro7x posted:

My only disappointment in this console so far is that it doesn't support bluetooth headphones. That seemed like a no brainer to me.

Oh well... I just have no good wired headphones these days

Is this something they can patch in? It's a crazy omission.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Feenix posted:

I'm afraid. I have big hands and the Vita never felt comfy to me. :(

I don't have huge hands, but I am a Grown Adult Man, and I used the Joycons to set the console up and then immediately synced my Pro controller. I don't think I'll ever use the Joycons unless it's for multiplayer, or for the few times it will go on a trip with me. The Pro controller is, by far, the best controller a Nintendo console has had since the SNES. I with the Y button wasn't so close to the right analog stick, and the back could be a little more contoured, but it's still a great controller.

Played an hour of Zelda, game is wonderful. Currently downloading Shovel Knight and I am Setsuna. Will have funds available in my account for when Blaster Master Zero hits the eShop.

This weekend is gonna be great.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Buca di Bepis posted:

Do you hard power off your phone every night?

No, cause I actually rely on it in the night? Either to check messages when I wake up mid-sleep, or for my alarm clock that goes off in the morning. If I wasn't using my phone all night, I'd switch it off.

I don't want the Switch sitting in standby mode all the time even when I don't plan on using it for 12+ hours.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The speakers not being behind the speaker holes is pretty funny.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Loopoo posted:

I don't want the Switch sitting in standby mode all the time even when I don't plan on using it for 12+ hours.
Why?

If you hold down the button a power menu pops up btw. But... Why?

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.
I literally bought the last Pro controller and the county yet the charging cable included is a USB type A. This happen to anyone?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
Christ I am Setsuna looks cool but $40 lmao

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

The Bloop posted:

Why?

If you hold down the button a power menu pops up btw. But... Why?

If you live an area where you get power spikes or lose power altogether occasionally then you generally don't want things pulling power needlessly. Either to avoid the, admittedly unlikely, chance for damage or just to avoid extra power draw on backup power.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Playing Switch on the train was fun.

Didn't help I went to an area in BotW that is permanently raining and dark as gently caress tho

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

False Toaster posted:

I literally bought the last Pro controller and the county yet the charging cable included is a USB type A. This happen to anyone?

Check the other end. It's a A to C cable.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

zelda is really good

(early game exploration spoilers, no story spoilers)

i was wandering around kakariko and saw a shrine on a plateau way out in the distance away from everything else, and decided gently caress it let's go there

on my way there I found a huge sleepy cyclops guy in a cave full of bombable treasures so i had to take the fucker out, but I ran out of weapons!!! i run over to my amiibo shelf not knowing who would work, so I grab young link and scan him, and a bunch of loving fish spawn and also a treasure chest. in the treasure chest was a reinforced sword!!!! so I take out this huge guy thanks to the young link amiibo, get a shitton of gems, and continue on my happy quest

oh man there's like 4 of the grey super strong moblins here and I'm just a four heart scrub man, but with cunning use of fire arrows and explosive barrels (and eating like 20 apples) I kill these guys and take all their 28 atk swords that far outrank anything i've picked up to date

then, finally, the shrine. go inside and it's like "a modest combat challenge" or something and there's this fuckin robot and I go to fight him and he kills me in one shot

but gently caress it, i'm not gonna give up that easy, go back in and go fuckin dark souls on this dude, he changes attack patterns like eight times but I'm ready for all of em, knowing if he touches me once i'm fuckin done. it takes two of those really strong swords to kill this one robit and then he drops something like a 35 attack sword and 32 defense shield and :aaaaa: this poo poo is so good

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Thanks. Doesn't seem to go into much detail yet :geno:

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

FireMrshlBill posted:

Also, gently caress Gamestop! Someone close to me received some bad news today from their doctor and just wanted to come home and play Zelda on their new Switch over the weekend to take their mind off of it. Well the fuckos at Gamestop shipped Zelda, but never handed the Switch over to UPS. So it won't go out until Monday and there are none local in their area. I'd ship them one from here but it wouldn't get to them until mid-week when they will get the Gamestop one anyway.

So I am done with Gamestop for good. I'm already very upset with the news myself, so I am channeling it to that lovely loving company until I can fire up Zelda tonight and take it out on some Bokoblins with a tree branch or whatever.
I bought from GameStop but it doesn't look like they've even shipped it yet. Glad I paid for expedited delivery!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah amazon failed me.

Glad I picked it up from Best Buy. I've put like 4 hours into Zelda and I'm still dicking around the starting area.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Played some two-player Snipperclips at a food court today and nobody snatched the Switch off the table!!

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Played some two-player Snipperclips at a food court today and nobody snatched the Switch off the table!!

Yeah, 'cause if they had to buy a dock, charger and joycons they could've just bought a loving Switch!

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
What is ideal Zelda playing on a train? Kickstand/pro controller probably but then you have to pack the controller and you look like a weirdo

Tablet mode with joy cons connected is the most hassle free and you don't have to have a flat space to put the unit and you don't have to pack anything else but then it's basically a vita which isn't necessarily bad just not new

Kickstand/joycon freestyle with no adapter in the middle is a good middle ground because you don't have to pack anything else but I don't know how good freestyle is in Zelda

Last would be kickstand/joycons with middle adapter but in that case why not pack the pro controller

Asking for a friend.

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Check the other end. It's a A to C cable.

I'm sorry I meant type B. There is literally no type C end.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Loopoo posted:

Batteries don't work that way anymore

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

HelloWinter posted:

Yeah, same here I think. I just can't seem to make it pick up my own wifi router while, for some reason, it is fully able to pick up the ones from my next door neighbours...

You're probably having the same issue I did. The Switch cannot connect to wifi using the outdated TKIP encryption, it'll only use AES. You'll have to switch your router's settings to use AES.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Consensus on best case or sleeve for the Switch? I'm going to have to carry this thing in a backpack.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Case from Zelda special edition is fantastic.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

JackDarko posted:

Consensus on best case or sleeve for the Switch? I'm going to have to carry this thing in a backpack.

I'm importing this pouch thing since I haven't found anything equivalent out here.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anyone else having issues connecting to their wifi? The wiiU worked fine, and the switch is at the same place but I'm getting no bars on my wifi signal.

If I undock it and move closer to the router there's no issue, but I can't move either permanently! So what, I'm stuck playing online on undocked mode next to my router forever?

This is a pain in the rear end. My crappy smart TV and wiiU both get a signal without issues in the same spot!

Edit: oh, same page. This is pretty lovely, I need to be at like 1 meter unobstructed for it to get a signal!

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 4, 2017

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
After talking to customer service about my switch and Zelda not being delivered, they were basically clueless as to what is happening and why and all they could do was flag it for priority follow up and aren't confident it'll arrive even by Monday. Great!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

The Amazon stuff definitely seems to be a bit widespread. It seems like someone dropped the ball along the line.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/3/14808024/amazon-switch-delivery

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone else having trouble with getting their wireless setup? my switch doesn't see my network for some reason.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I'm still disappointed that I'm apparently immune to the bittering agent they put on the carts. At least then I'd have something to do with these games.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

False Toaster posted:

I'm sorry I meant type B. There is literally no type C end.

Wait, what? post a pic of the controller and cable.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The Amazon stuff definitely seems to be a bit widespread. It seems like someone dropped the ball along the line.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/3/14808024/amazon-switch-delivery

Heh kind of messed up on how they had a bunch of switches in stock for non preorder people in their Amazon Prime Now inventory and their AmazonBooks brick and mortar stores but they couldn't fulfill their own Amazon.com preorders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Bloop posted:

I think framerate nerds might be just repurposed delusional audiophiles.

Zelda looks fantastic on my bigass TV.

Zelda also chugs like a motherfucker on my big-rear end TV. The game looks great but the frame rate just randomly drops every now and then. Some areas were almost unplayable for a couple seconds due to too much poo poo being on the screen.

• Locked thread