Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

Someone post some pictures.

I went to China in 2005 and 2006 and here's some stuff I saw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

tantan is coming to the UK I guess

http://i.imgur.com/tDY04VO.png

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
If you do dodgy stuff in Japan you are opening yourself up to being rorted, and worse case scenario detained for 21 days without a charge and then deportation and life ban. It's just not worth the risk

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Kharnifex posted:

If you do dodgy stuff in Japan you are opening yourself up to being rorted, and worse case scenario detained for 21 days without a charge and then deportation and life ban. It's just not worth the risk

My general thought on Tokyo is that unlike some places, if you don't go looking for trouble you will probably not find it. If you do, though, you will.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Whorelord posted:

tantan is coming to the UK I guess

http://i.imgur.com/tDY04VO.png

but... that's not tantan?

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!

hakimashou posted:

I even found a pic of my boy migga

Holy poo poo I think I met that guy, did he spend a year or two in the PLA by any chance?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
CHINA CHAT:
I had a long walk today, mostly in the sun. I believe I got sunburned, but I will have to wait until this evening to really know. It was a good, sweaty walk.
I ended up in one of the lovely expat areas while trying to do a big loop back towards my house. For all the joking we make about how Chinese stick together and never talk to anyone except other Chinese when they go abroad, the areas with the expat bars and restaurants, international schools, and joint venture companies are the exact same thing but for dumb white people. I probably saw about 60 white people, and I was one of two not wearing boardshorts, flipflops, and a Billabong t-shirt. The trope of the obese white guy with Riker facial hair + local girl half his age was present as well. Saggy, pale white guys standing around in circles on the sidewalk, holding beers and blocking the way. There was a birthday party with about 10 blonde kids, a bunch of blonde moms, and not a single Chinese person or kid within 40 meters. It's like the reverse of Chinatown, and the words ORGANIC and IMPORTED start appearing on signs.
Anyway, this is where locals and tourists can stare at white people to their heart's content, and it's like a good fashioned trip to the foreigner zoo. It's also where girls hoping to snag an English teacher will go hang around, even though the fat ones have already been duped into marriage by girls much poorer and with worse English skills than them.

A while later I was walking back toward the direction of my house, sipping a can of IMPORTED ORGANIC apple soda, waiting to cross the street. A pack of Buzzcuts are very slowly riding by on rental bikes. One the fatter ones slows down and pulls up in front of me and starts giving me the a huge dose of poo poo-talking in some dialect that sounds like someone trying to talk with a mouthful of marbles. I was listening to a podcast with my headphones on, but this definitely wasn't Mandarin or anything I had heard before. His brow is furrowed and he's making eye contact and saying who-knows-what in the angriest way he can. He starts speaking with a big frown on his toad lips and I am starting to think he's getting read to spit on me. I'm just standing there, listening to my thing and have the can of soda to my lips the entire time. I take a step forward and he immediately starts peddling away while shouting and giving big "HA HAA!!!" at me while his friends are smiling at how hard this guy totally just OWNED the foreigner.

That's about it. My legs are tired.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
So I dug out my contract with the school and found this pertinent excerpt

CONDITIONS OF SERVICE FOR TEACHERS IN AIDED SCHOOLS

Salary Scale: "If at any time after a teacher is appointed, the Education Bureau shall determine that the salary scale was assessed incorrectly, a teacher shall, upon request, refund all sums which have been overpaid arising out of the final assessment of the Education Bureau."

Looks like I'm poo poo outta luck. The financial officer is asking for the originals of the service records from my previous (private & semiprivate) schools so my current school can argue my case, I guess. In any case I'm checking some popular job boards in Hong Kong every day to find something else; just sent off my CV to a school that is 2 metro stops away from me instead of 12.

One of the external links on the job search site brought me to this lol: https://www.laowaicareer.com

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Imperialist Dog posted:

One of the external links on the job search site brought me to this lol: https://www.laowaicareer.com
I just signed up for 15 ESL jobs starting at 3k per month and I am so excited for these wonderful opportuni

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
I HAVE DISCOVERED A CRAZY PILE OF poo poo

https://ihatehongkong2.wordpress.com/

some bitter expat posted:

Hong Kong bakeries specialize in soft, limp bread with soft, limp crust. That’s how they like it in Hong Kong. Their bread mirrors the people…soft and limp. Now, because Hong Kong is shallow, superficial and gaudy, Hong Kong bakeries feel the need to dress their bread up in all manner of gimmickry. That’s why the bread available in most bakeries is rarely just bread. It has to be milk bread, butter bread, honey bread, syrup bread, chocolate bread, walnut bread, limp cheese bread, sugar bread, sweet bread, cheese sauce ‘flavour’ bread, sweet topping bread, used-by date mashed fig bread and dick cheese bread. You see, locals need to think they’re getting something special…something fancy. But they’re not. They’re just getting soft, limp bread with third party gimmickry.

Hong Kong bakeries are also experts in the mass production of tasteless, substanceless cakes. Their cakes mirror the people…tasteless and without substance. Trickery is a fine art, and Hong Kong bakeries are cunning tricksters. They’ve perfected the deceptive art of making cakes that appear inviting and sweet, but that are almost completely devoid of richness and taste. These things are so physically light and vacuous a sheet of paper would tip them on a set of scales. The shameful business practices of Hong Kong bakeries almost defy science. Whipped cream that tastes like air. Icing so plain you’re sure it’s made from starch and water. Butter, sugar, eggs, and flour that somehow combine to create the dull taste of old cardboard. Hong Kongers, of course, lap it all up and kid themselves it’s good because it comes in a special box with a carry string.

But of all the low down, half-baked, crusty, crummy bakery gimmicks implemented by seedy Hong Kong bakeries, the shrewdest one has to be MEAT BREAD. Like all canny food businesses, Hong Kong bakeries know that Hong Kongers can’t take 5 steps without stuffing some kind of meat down their throats. Any meat. It doesn’t matter. Walking into a Hong Kong bakery is like walking into some kind of meat locker or butcher shop chop-chop room. It’s like being on the slaughter belt of your local abattoir. If it once lived and breathed the air, knew its mother, had eyes, knew love or fear…then you’ll find it in the Hong Kong meat bakery, ground up, dead and stuffed in a glazed bun.

These fuckers will kill anything if they know they can shove it inside 2 cents worth of soft, limp bread for a profit. Ham steak croissant, black liver chicken bread, tuna fish pastry, sausage & cheese flavor bread, shredded pork bread, ham steak croissant, reconstituted ham baguette, tuna fish puff, cheese & turkey bun, meat cocktail roll, literal cocktail roll, flossy pork French stick, ham corn and corn-hole shredded pork bun, frankfurter sausage bread with added frankfurter, crispy sausage bun, pork belly bread, seared pork belly bread, double seared pork belly bread with extra belly, flossy pork salad bun, chicken cartilage roll, turtle gizzard cold remedy bread stick, cow tongue surprise sweet bread with turkey feet shavings, offal toast niblet dip slices, garlic chicken neck baguette, deep fried aspic meat with tendon roll butter melt bread, tiger penis bread balls, chicken tuna pork beef aspic turkey floss neck loaf.

Welcome to the killing floor, where rolling dough goes hand in hand with mincing, grinding, slicing, dicing, bashing, burning, flossing, cutting, stabbing, pressure broiling, stewing, braising, searing and charring as many ill-raised, stone cold terror stricken animals as can possibly be imagined on a daily basis. And the locals LOVE IT. When they ask, ‘have you had your breakfast yet?’…what they mean is…’did you sit on the train like me chewing with your wet saliva strewn mouth wide open totally oblivious to the sheer terror and unmitigated suffering waiting for anyone within eye-shot of your repugnant, wet mouth-full of pork floss sausage bun yet?’ I always say, ‘no’. No I have not. You scum.

he Hong Kong bakery is a disgusting den of pastry perversion and degeneracy. These cheap snake oil, sizzle selling merchants prey upon Hong Kong weakness…a penchant for limpness, softness, shallowness and base limbic desire. I can only hope that when Hong Kong fully and magnificently kowtows to China that these crimes against humanity…these meat bakeries…become a thing of the past like the crazy conspiracy theories about mistreatment and mismanagement at the Tiananmen Square ‘Massacre’ and the absurd ‘stories’ about Cultural Revolution genocides. Once China’s firmly behind the wheel, there’ll be no place for shonkiness, artifice or deception in the HK bakery industry, that’s for sure. A baker’s dozen will be a baker’s dozen…and turtle gizzard will be something you drink, not put in a bun. And I’ll never have to look at you maw your way through some disgusting meat pastry product, sloshing it around in your disgusting wide open mouth, stinking up the train, ever again. You oblivious scum.

There's YEARS of entries like this.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
On one hand, that's pretty funny. On the other hand, I get enough ranting hypersensitive vegans in the other China thread that a blogger parodying them would wear pretty thin.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

tbh "disgusting den of pastry perversion and degeneracy" is a pretty good description of Asian bakeries.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Imperialist Dog posted:

He's not wrong

edit: after looking at more posts I believe this is someone posting from inside the thread

big time bisexual posted:

many a migger makes a mingzi

You know I'm going back to this. If Haier's oily-poo poo fivehead posts are like a fat guy pratfalling, this is the like the wealthy dowager dinner party barb.

ooohboy is galtse.cx

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Mar 4, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Imperialist Dog posted:

"The fortune cookie is an American invention. That's why it's hollow, and filled with lies, and leaves a bad taste in your mouth."

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\
Some pics to pick things up

Today was Open Day at my older son's kindergarten. Each room has a theme, like paper crafts, play-do, the usual. There was also a "world food" room, with the "America" booth selling hot dogs.

You can be sure they just typed "america hot dog sign" into Google and picked one that looked the part without reading too closely.

This was posted up when I was going home from work at the train station at Chinese University. I think it says that the so-called "democratic" contender for chief executive of Hong Kong in the upcoming sham election, retired judge Woo, is just a front for the the forces behind the scenes that are controlling our current CE, CY Leung, now.

I went to Kwun Tong in eastern Kowloon last week. It was a centre of shipping and industry so here are some of those industrial factory estates I was talking about a few weeks back.

And some iconic Hong Kong, the Star Ferry that's been taking people back and forth across Victoria Harbour for decades. This is taken from the Kowloon Side, so Hong Kong Island is in the background.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
Is anyone watching the UK series "Gap Year"?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Imperialist Dog posted:

Some pics to pick things up

Today was Open Day at my older son's kindergarten. Each room has a theme, like paper crafts, play-do, the usual. There was also a "world food" room, with the "America" booth selling hot dogs.

You can be sure they just typed "america hot dog sign" into Google and picked one that looked the part without reading too closely.

This was posted up when I was going home from work at the train station at Chinese University. I think it says that the so-called "democratic" contender for chief executive of Hong Kong in the upcoming sham election, retired judge Woo, is just a front for the the forces behind the scenes that are controlling our current CE, CY Leung, now.

I went to Kwun Tong in eastern Kowloon last week. It was a centre of shipping and industry so here are some of those industrial factory estates I was talking about a few weeks back.

And some iconic Hong Kong, the Star Ferry that's been taking people back and forth across Victoria Harbour for decades. This is taken from the Kowloon Side, so Hong Kong Island is in the background.

Any time someone tells me they are going to HK and asks what to do/see, I tell them the Star Ferry is the best and also cheapest attraction in Hong Kong.

Cool old boat, one of the world's best manmade vistas, 50 cents or some poo poo.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Can anyone tell me why those black-bristled toothbrushes are often nearly double the price of white-bristle toothbrushes? What TCM magic is associated with them?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Those large apartment buildings are in Japan too. They're called "danchi" and are like projects in America except without all the crime. In post-war Japan they built them to house the population boom but a ton of them are boarded up now in the Tokyo area and just sitting there. Climb the fence, rip the ply-wood off the entrance and you can have your own urban adventure!

Edit: Also re: toothbrushes, my friend really hates soft bristled brushes and gets horse-hair brushes instead. He got me one as a gift. The plus side is that they last longer than normal brushes.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

ladron posted:

Is anyone watching the UK series "Gap Year"?

Better than I expected actually, I was an extra in some of the music festival scenes and I thought the dialogue wasn't that funny on set. Good to see it came together fairly well, though it's still early days I guess!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

hakimashou posted:

ive never been to kabikuchiko never even heard of it before but i know for sure no one ever gets chased there guaranteed

:viggo:
People are chased there loving constantly, on the street people pick fights with you, call you old man and try and menace people and there's also this huge fucker that will beat all the cash outta ya

Source: Famed documentary Ryu ga Gotuku 0

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Grand Fromage posted:

tbh "disgusting den of pastry perversion and degeneracy" is a pretty good description of Asian bakeries.

realtalk, asian bread is just unfathomably terrible, on the level with russian salad

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
How's the asian cheese?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

JaucheCharly posted:

How's the asian cheese?

Offensively or inoffensively bland, depending on your taste.

Except for their mozzarella stick string cheese things. They somehow really gently caress those up consistency-wise and they're p bad objectively.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vesi posted:

realtalk, asian bread is just unfathomably terrible, on the level with russian salad

taiwan bakery chains have been popping up in SoCal and they are pretty great but only because they are ripping off paris style bakerys perfectly

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Vesi posted:

There was one normal bread store in Harbin. It was called the Russian Bread Store and mad bog standard brown white people loafs. They had a line that went around the block as long as they were open.

Every other place had hotdogs or bread stuck in, or pork floss, etc, was empty

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

this is amazing, thank you for sharing

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Mr. Fix It posted:

Except for their mozzarella stick string cheese things. They somehow really gently caress those up consistency-wise and they're p bad objectively.

holy poo poo the flashbacks....it's like eating vaguely cheese flavored sand

Jeoh posted:

this is amazing, thank you for sharing

Agreed

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

Wtf is this a picture of, none of these people seem surprised?

More like; here we go again!..

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol what is that giant filthy wave???

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Thanks for this. One of my amateur interests is in urban planning and architecture and a tricky thing is industrial areas because common wisdom says any sort of industry has to be a vast single story building. Old timey warehouses and mills and things were multiple stories but modern industrial efficiency and production lines and even warehouse logistics demand sprawling single story buildings. So seeing the industrial version of a tenement existing in modern day is really interesting. I assume the people there are running tiny mini sweatshops for poor income? How do they compete with larger factories? I've looked at light industry areas in my own city and often thought to my self that there's no reason a lot of these businesses couldn't be stacked and just share a freight elevator or two, but they're invariably single story strip-mall type places and any 2nd floor where it exists is limited to office space.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

peanut posted:

lol what is that giant filthy wave???

my posts

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Lazer Monkey posted:

Wtf is this a picture of, none of these people seem surprised?

More like; here we go again!..

It's the tidal bore of the Qiantang river

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Pfmp3zYzE

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

when kan re nao goes wrong

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Imperialist Dog posted:

I was going through his rants and he mentioned an advertisement for maid insurance that got pulled so I looked it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8jMFlJN77I

hmmm

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/838193625003536384

:crossarms:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

we put electricity into this golden "jiu"

maybe it is so lucky

we have a try

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

So either they take in the good ones to steal the tech, or the bad ones for propaganda purposes. Either way, not the most subtle approach.

edit:

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Imperialist Dog posted:

The Wiener's Circle is a famous Chicago hot dog place where the staff is super rude and insults you.

• Locked thread