Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
That same study found that 82% of households live in poverty (both extreme and non-extreme), and that 52% of households live in extreme poverty.

We need to the full study to be released so that we can take a look at the methodology, but those are disastrous numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
That's actually a lot -better- than I would have thought jusy from all the anecdotes I've read. Although I guess 'eating breakfast' might count as a mini arepa with a tiny slice of mango or something.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Here's a source for that in English: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2017/02/19/Venezuela-75-of-population-lost-19-pounds-amid-crisis/2441487523377/

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Five people (including four members of the same family) died over a period of a couple of days last week after they ate bitter yams that had not been properly detoxified. The deceased lived in Catia, which is a poor area of Caracas.

I didn't know this, but bitter yams are normally not eaten because they contain toxins that could be fatal, but I can imagine that if people are literally eating garbage out of trash piles then taking a risk with something that actually looks like food but might kill you is actually an option.

The family purchased the yams from a street vendor who was selling them for Bs. 1000/kilogram. We see two sides of the economic collapse here: 1) individuals selling whatever they can find on the street with absolutely no quality control, and 2) individuals having no option but to purchase whatever they can find on the street, and being forced to take the risk of illness/death because they can't get food any other way.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
whats the name in Spanish? Never heard of bitter yams

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manihot_esculenta or in English called manioc/yuca/cassava.

Apparently there are huge fluctuations in the amount of cyanide in manioc strains, and if you have the high cyanide content ones, cook them badly and/or don't know what you're doing, it's easy to poison yourself. And if you live in a country like Venezuela where there are no hospitals, then you're dead.

Nicolas Casey had an article about this on the NYTimes a few weeks ago too, from a similar incident: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/25/world/americas/venezuela-hunger.html

Saladman fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 20, 2017

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Oh, mandioca. Never heard it could be toxic, but it's not a common food here. This is the most depressing thread :(

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
I saw this video the other day and I thought I'd share it.

It was recorded in what appears to be a high school assembly hall in Nueva Esparta state. There's some kind of PSUV stooge on stage vomiting propaganda onto the students. At one point, the man says that Maduro is the only one who is capable of running Venezuela, and the students start to snicker. You can practically hear their eyes rolling back into their heads. This happens at around the 1:10 mark.

Here's the video and my translation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un1w5JgnwnI

quote:

Man: ... we're going to being talking about a proposal for the Nueva Esparta Youth Law. Let's give the this legal initiative a hand!

On top of this, [inaudible] in the next few hours we are going to put together the Event Mobilisation State Command. This is a command [centre] that will help to mobilise all of the youth in Nueva Esparta: the high school youth, the university youth, the (street?) youth, the working youth, all youth. The youth must mobilise itself in defence of the Bolivarian Revolution.

Like I was telling my colleague yesterday, the only person--pay attention to this, and think about it-- the only person who can save our homeland, the only one on whom the salvation of our country rests is [one student shouts, "God?"] Nicolas Maduro Moros! [students snickering] The President of the Bolviarian Republic of Venezuela and the Bolivarian Revolution. And if you don't think that, then you're wasting your time here.

Students Recording #1: Yeah right.

Student Recording #2: Well, I'm out of here, then.

Man: Nicolas Maduro and the Bolivarian government are the only ones who can save the people of Venezuela. Don't believe that a right-wing government is going to save this country. No. They're going to eliminate [some government programs].

Going to school in Venezuela must be like taking a trip into a bad Twilight Zone episode.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni
Today El Aissami hit back at the imperialist propaganda that sought to discredit him by painting him as a drug trafficker that used his position to steal from his country by... taking out a full-page ad in the New York Times?

https://twitter.com/FranciscoPoleoR/status/834433700175704066/

According to this article (http://www.poynter.org/2015/new-york-times-publishes-full-page-ad-celebrating-jon-stewart/363493/) from two years ago, a full-page ad in black and white went for approximately $150,000 back then. These guys are really not good when it comes to picking up on the irony of the poo poo they say and do.

Update: It gets better – apparently he feels comfortable dropping ridiculous amounts of money on rambling, ineffective ads, but the guy couldn't be bothered to hire someone to proofread the drat thing.

Labradoodle fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 22, 2017

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Before reading the ad, I was convinced that El Aissami must have had a lawyer draft it. After reading the ad, I am convinced that he did not. It's got quite a few typos and lots of grammatical errors. I wonder if he wrote it himself? :iiam:

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Bitter manioc and sweet manioc come from the same wild ancestor, the difference being the different levels of cyanotoxin present in the root. Both have been consumed for literally millennia in South America, along with yams, which are a different family altogether (Dioscorae). Most yams consumed around the world today originate from an African, rather than American variety, while all Manihot (known as cassava, yuca, mandioca as per different native language families) originate from the Americas.

Detoxifying bitter yuca, which is more nutritious than sweet yuca (not actually sweet, more like a potato), is a very long winded process that consumes up to 80% of an indigenous woman's working hours from harvest to plate. It has the advantage of being resistant to pests and can be processed to store almost indefinitely. Pre-Columbian civilisations in lowland South America, inhabiting the floodplains of the Orinoco and Amazon rivers, have been fueled mainly by the incredible productivity and variety of yuca, together with the vast fish stocks of these rivers.

It's still a crime that a family died because bitter manioc was their last resort in modern Venezuela.

fnox
May 19, 2013

My god, it's just, I can't stop being surprised by how loving delusional the Venezuelan government is. I've never seen something as ridiculous as this, I mean, this is exactly what a drug cartel leader would do.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
My favourite bit from the ad aside from the grammatical and spelling errors is the evidence that El Aissami provides to show that he can't possibly be a drug trafficker:

quote:

You should be aware that when I headed the public security corps of my country, in 2008-2012, our fight against drug cartels achieved the greatest progress in our history and in the western hemisphere, both in terms of the transnational drug trafficking business and their logistics structures [sic]. During those years, the Venezuelan anti-drug enforcement authorities under my leadership captured, arrested and brought 102 heads of criminal drug trafficking organizations not only to the Venezuelan justice but also to the justice of other countries where they were wanted. From these 102 captured drug lords, 21 were promptly deported to the USA and 36 to Colombia, in accordance with the requests made by the authorities of each country and in compliance with the international agreements on the fight against organized crimes, facts formally acknowledged by the US and Colombian authorities.
I mean, putting drug traffickers out of business is great and I'm all for it, but I think El Aissami is lacking self awareness here. Putting drug traffickers out of business doesn't necessarily not make you a drug trafficker. If you put drug traffickers out of business and continue to live your life as a law-abiding citizen you're a hero; if you take over for them, you're Walter White.

EDIT: It's the same as a cop breaking the law and saying, "I'm innocent! Don't you know how many bad guys I've arrested in my career?".

Chuck Boone fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 22, 2017

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Here's the full text of the ad:

quote:

Public Letter to the Department of the Treasury of the United States of America

Mr. Steven T. Mnuchin
Washington, D.C.

I write you as a Venezuelan citizen and in my capacity as Executive Vice President of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, on the occasion to reply [sic] to the issuance of sanctions against me by the U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) last Tuesday, February 13th.

First, in your capacity as OFAC Authority you have been deceived by political sectors, lobbyists and stakeholders in the U.S. whose essential interest is to prevent that the United States and Venezuela restore their political and diplomatic relations on the basis of mutual recognition and respect.

These stakeholders not only lack any evidence to demonstrate the extremely serious accusations against me, but they also have built a false-positive case in order to criminalize -through me- the Government of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, a country that is decidedly waging a war on transnational drug trafficking business.

You should be aware that when I headed the public security corps of my country, in 2008-2012, our fight against drug cartels achieved the greatest progress in our history and in the western hemisphere, both in terms of the transnational drug trafficking business and their logistics structures [sic]. During those years, the Venezuelan anti-drug enforcement authorities under my leadership captured, arrested and brought 102 heads of criminal drug trafficking organizations not only to the Venezuelan justice but also to the justice of other countries where they were wanted. From these 102 captured drug lords, 21 were promptly deported to the USA and 36 to Colombia, in accordance with the requests made by the authorities of each country and in compliance with the international agreements on the fight against organized crimes, facts formally acknowledged by the US and Colombian authorities.

Between 2005 and 2013, the seize of drugs [sic] by the Venezuelan authorities averaged 56.61 tons per year, which is a far higher figure than the 34.94 tons per year averaged in the six preceding years, when the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) was operating in Venezuela. This figure shows by itself the lack of commitment of DEA to fighting drugs trafficking [sic], and upholds the very well documented assertion of the connections between that U.S. Agency [sic] with the criminal drug organizations [sic].

In addition, Venezuela has always been recognized by the United Nations as a drug-free territory.

The extraordinary progress made by the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela in the fight against drugs trafficking [sic] -which I directed in my capacity as head of the public security corps- was acknowledged by international organizations, such as the United Nations Organization (UNO) [sic], and appears from the records in the archives of the Judicial bodies of the United States and Colombia, which countries [sic] also acknowledged the efforts that I headed against organized crime, which is unprecedented in our hemisphere.

Further to the firm determination to face international drug trafficking mafia [sic], President Nicolas Maduro enacted a law in 2012 enabling the interdiction of any drug-trafficking aircraft violating the Venezuelan airspace. Thanks to this modern legal instrument, Venezuela has destroyed, disabled or brought down over 100 aircrafts [sic] belonging to the drugs transport structure from Colombia and neighboring countries illegally flying over our territory.

Venezuela is waging an all-out war against drugs because it is a cross-border crime against humanity, and because such fight is a shared responsibility, as members of the international community [sic].

Venezuela also fights drug cartels because our country and our people are victims of drugs trafficking, particularly of the powerful Colombian illegal drugs industry, the main supplier of the drug that floods the streets of the United States and Europe.

You would need to investigate further before endorsing such false and reckless accusation, crafted by bureaucrats and anti-Venezuelan stakeholders, which sets a dangerous precedent in the relation between sovereign nations.

The decision of 120 countries to reject these illegal measures adopted against Venezuela, clearly demonstrates that this unilaterally decision [sic] is a serious error of the US Administration, contrary to international law.

But beyond any political and geopolitical considerations, OFAC’s decision constitutes a serious violation against my human rights and seriously damages my dignity and honor. I have led my personal, professional and political life in my country, which I love deeply and to which I devote my life through a political project whose supreme objective is the happiness of our people, equality and social justice. I have no assets or accounts in the United States or in any country of the world, and it is both absurd and pathetic that an American administrative body -without presenting any evidence- adopts a measure to freeze goods and assets that I do not own at all.

The intended sanctions, approved by the head of the OFAC, on the very day of his confirmation as Secretary of the Department of the Treasury, are illegal and in violation of International Law [sic]. Acting ex officio and without any evidence, as an extraterritorial police and without having powers to do so, is a format that violates the entire international human rights system, whose doctrine prevails in the world.

Paradoxically, whereas a governmental official dares to accuse, with no evidence, people anywhere in the world -as recognized by the international organizations [sic] and academic research- the “war on drugs” has failed all over the planet and especially in the U.S [sic] territory. Today more drugs are brought into the United States than ever before, while a corrupt and legal [sic] powerful financial structure legitimizes and recycles dirty money from this international illegal activity, which deprives thousands of American young people of their life and future.

The United States owes the world and their own People [sic] a reflection on the resounding failure of their fight against drugs. In the country where the so called “war on drugs” has been implemented as a unilateral strategy, the drug cartels today are strong than ever; the production of illegal drug has multiplied [sic], bringing about economic losses and, more importantly, more loss of human lives.

How many chiefs of criminal drug organizations have been captured by the U.S [sic] in its territory? How many banks and tax havens have been closed down by the U.S. for supporting this gigantic illegal business and crime against humanity? Even though the U.S. claims an extraterritorial power to certify, accuse and punish people and countries, it has failed to ratify any of the international treaties concerning this sensitive issue.

The United States must rethink on this matter and rectify [sic], particularly as to the application of policies and measures that are clearly against the international law; aggressive and unfair in the realm of human rights; in addition, they are dangerous for the international relations [sic] and unconstitutional in the light of [sic] the U.S Constitution [sic].

I am a Venezuelan citizen, I am a Bolivarian and a Latin-American. I am fully convinced of the ideals of independence, justice and freedom for which our liberators gave their lives and I am willing to submit to the same fate in the defense of our sovereignty, our Homeland and our People [sic].

Tareck El Aissami

Executive Vice President
Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela
And a few observations, because I didn't want to do any work at the office today:

I'm really curious to know who wrote this. At first I thought that El Aissami might have hired a (presumably English native speaker) US-based lawyer to do this, but after reading the ad I'm not sure that's the case. If it is, El Aissami wasted his money.

The elementary errors (i.e., inconsistent use of "US", "U.S.", "USA", and the outright wrong "U.S") suggests that the person who wrote this probably isn't used to writing in general, at least not for an audience. There are also loads of grammatical, spelling and other errors that I think are consistent with the theory that the person who wrote this is a native Spanish speaker who does not have a full grasp on English. For example:
  • The writer refers to the “United Nations Organization (UNO)”. In English, we refer to that body simply as the United Nations (UN). However, in Spanish, the name of that same body is “Organización de las Naciones Unidas (ONU)”. In other words, the writer appears to have gone for a literal translation of the Spanish name rather than going with the English one.
  • The writer refers to “drugs trafficking” more than once. In English, the term used to describe the illicit transport of narcotics across borders is “drug trafficking”, using the singular form of the word “drug”. However, in Spanish, the equivalent term is “trafico de drogas”, which uses the plural of the word for drug, which is “droga”. Again, the writer appears to have literally translated the Spanish term into English instead of defaulting to the English term.
  • The writer capitalizes words that shouldn’t be capitalized (i.e., “US Administration”, “People”, “Homeland”). These are words that are routinely capitalized in Venezuelan Spanish (whether correctly or incorrectly), and I do not believe that a fluent English speaker would have made the error of writing these words in capital letters to essentially no effect whatsoever.
Again, I find it hard to believe that any practicing likely to be retained for the drafting of a document by someone as rich and powerful as El Aissami would make these kinds of errors (but maybe I'm giving lawyers too much credit?), so I think that maybe El Aissami wrote this himself. I don't know why I find that surprising, but I do. If Donald Trump can write his own tweets, I guess El Aissami can write his own half-assed defense ads?

Vlex posted:

Bitter manioc and sweet manioc come from the same wild ancestor, the difference being the different levels of cyanotoxin present in the root. Both have been consumed for literally millennia in South America, along with yams, which are a different family altogether (Dioscorae). Most yams consumed around the world today originate from an African, rather than American variety, while all Manihot (known as cassava, yuca, mandioca as per different native language families) originate from the Americas.

Detoxifying bitter yuca, which is more nutritious than sweet yuca (not actually sweet, more like a potato), is a very long winded process that consumes up to 80% of an indigenous woman's working hours from harvest to plate. It has the advantage of being resistant to pests and can be processed to store almost indefinitely. Pre-Columbian civilisations in lowland South America, inhabiting the floodplains of the Orinoco and Amazon rivers, have been fueled mainly by the incredible productivity and variety of yuca, together with the vast fish stocks of these rivers.

It's still a crime that a family died because bitter manioc was their last resort in modern Venezuela.
Thanks for this. In my ignorance, I call anything that isn't a potato either a yam (red outside, yellow inside) or yuca (also known as cassava and manioc?). Like you said, what's happened here is that people don't usually risk trying to bitter version because there's usually actually food that probably won't kill you around... usually, but not so much anymore.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Out of curiosity, how prevalent is cocaine in Venezuela? Like if you go into a bar area in a rich pet of town, will someone come by and offer to sell you cocaine while you're drinking your beer (like in Lima or Medellin) or is it more of a primarily-trafficking substance and not so popular locally?

fnox
May 19, 2013

Saladman posted:

Out of curiosity, how prevalent is cocaine in Venezuela? Like if you go into a bar area in a rich pet of town, will someone come by and offer to sell you cocaine while you're drinking your beer (like in Lima or Medellin) or is it more of a primarily-trafficking substance and not so popular locally?

I hadn't seen anybody ever use cocaine until I arrived in Sweden, ironically. I know it is sold in Venezuela because a friend claims to have had some, but it is either far too expensive or far too unprofitable for it to be sold in any of the night clubs I've ever been to. If you're being offered cocaine in a bar in Venezuela I suggest you run, because that likely means they figured out you're a foreigner.

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

Saladman posted:

I know that it is sold at my university (Universidad del Zulia) without much of a hassle at the faculty of engineering at 2500 bs 2 years ago. I guess that with inflation it must be above 10,000 bs per gram.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

fnox posted:

I hadn't seen anybody ever use cocaine until I arrived in Sweden, ironically. I know it is sold in Venezuela because a friend claims to have had some, but it is either far too expensive or far too unprofitable for it to be sold in any of the night clubs I've ever been to. If you're being offered cocaine in a bar in Venezuela I suggest you run, because that likely means they figured out you're a foreigner.

Well poo poo, I guess I look too much like a local for anyone to offer to sell me coke. On the other hand, there's this Spanish bar where I hang out sometimes and the bartender is always offering to sell me whatever he's bachaqueando that day, from deodorant to Harina Pan.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Uhh, at least up to the point I left, cocaine is everywhere and easy to score. Well, easy if you're willing to go into the barrios and risk getting mugged or killed because you're too sifrino, but cokeheads aren't known for their safety concerns.

Almost every dude that "helps" you park on the street at night can get you a gram right then and there. It wasn't specially expensive but definitely not something anyone can afford to get hooked on.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
The country's top court, the Tribunal Supremo de Justicia (TSJ), got a new president (chief justice) today: a man named Maikel Moreno Perez. He replaces Gladys Gutierrez, who has been head of the TSJ since 2013.

Here are some selected bits from Moreno's CV:
  • Legal counsel to the Venezuelan embassy in Trinidad and Tobago from 2008 to 2010.
  • Provisional judge at the Caracas Penal Court from 2002 to 2005.
  • Convicted of murder in Caracas in 1989; released one year later.
  • Convicted of murder in Ciudad Bolivar in 1987; released two years later.
Moreno was a police officer when he was convicted for the two murders, and was kicked off the force after the 1989 killing.

Aside from being a twice-convicted murderer, another reason why Moreno probably shouldn't be the top judge in the country is that in order to be president of the TSJ you have to have a graduate degree in law, which Moreno doesn't have.

So... uhh... the head of the Venezuelan Supreme Court does not have the required legal qualifications and has murdered at least two people.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
You say "convicted of murder as a police officer twice", I say " has a long history of being tough on crime". :colbert:

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You say "convicted of murder as a police officer twice", I say " has a long history of being tough on crime". :colbert:

The two murders he was "involved in" are highly curious. He was part of Carlos Andres Perez' (the president against whom Chavez attempted a coup) security detail during the first one, as well as part as the DISIP ( the intelligence corps back then, since then replaced by the SEBIN) , and the murder took place within a residential building. The second case was that of Danilo Anderson, a prosecutor that was killed while investigating some of the crimes and murders committed during the 2002 coup.

Moreno also put Ivan Simonovis in jail, the police chief of Caracas during the 2002 coup, who was convicted to a 30-year sentence by the Chavez regime for his "part" in enabling the violence during the coup, although there's no substantial evidence against him. He's been held in Ramo Verde alongside Leopoldo for over a decade and a half now.

Our new Chief Justice is also famous for his lavish lifestyle and having married a former Miss Venezuela.

Labradoodle fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 25, 2017

fnox
May 19, 2013

Venezuela loses right to vote in the UN due to unpaid debts totalling $24 million.

I don't know what to say.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Some news from the last little while:
  • February 27 marked the anniversary of the 1989 Caracazo, which is the name given to a couple of days of looting and violence that broke out in Caracas and left as many as 2,000 people dead. The unrest broke out after the government, in a desperate attempt to correct-course on an economy that was rapidly tanking, introduced what we would call today an austerity package that included an increase to the price of gasoline. The unrest was suppressed violently, and included soldiers firing indiscriminately onto civilians.

Each year, the government finds itself in the uncomfortable position of having to praise the Caracazo as the event that planted the seed that would eventually become the Bolivarian Revolution while simultaneously trying really hard to not give people the impression that acting violently in response to government failures is a good thing. Another interesting hypocrisy is that the PSUV will often decry how the government used violence to suppress the unrest then, completely ignoring its own use of lethal force in the suppression of the 2014 protests (plus its continued persecution of dissenters). This year, Minister of Defense Vladimir Padrino Lopez had the honour of writing a statement commemorating the date. I think he got the same guy who writes Kim Jong Un's speeches to help him out. Here is the statement:

quote:

February 27 1989 marked a tragic moment in our republican history, and twenty eight years later the wounds are still proving themselves difficult to heal. This day represents a sad page in the evolution of Venezuelan society, and demands our constant reflection.

This was a popular storm on a massive scale, which arose as a way to defy a ruling, conceited and arrogant elite that was submissive before foreign powers, one that betrayed and insulted the masses by imposing neoliberal measures that attacked their economic stability and dignity.

On that fateful day, the government at the time relied on an overwhelming use of force in order to repress, creating chaos, anarchy and ultimately massacring unarmed civilians, something that was and will continue to be rejected as a bankrupt policy, something that always characterized the Fourth Republic [the name of the political era before Chavez].

But that anomie contained a beginning, the genesis of a new social revolution, the Bolivarian Revolution, which under the leadership of Supreme Commander Hugo Rafael Chavez Frias grew out of the same principles from [Simon] Bolivar and [Ezequiel] Zamora in order to consolidate the creative consciousness of a people in the indomitable search of their rights and social demands.

The soldiers of the new National Bolivarian Armed Froces, [which is] anti-imperialist, chavista, anti-oligarchy and zamorista, pray to the Almighty that these types of events never repeat themselves. Today more than ever we strengthen our commitment to the civil-military union, and under the light of the Bolivarian Revolution we find ourselves in the sublime task of re-vindicating its popular and humanist essence in order to adhere to the commitment to always serve the best interests of the noble and glorious people of Venezuela.
    Chavez Lives… the homeland prevails.

Independence and a socialist Homeland [sic]… We will survive and we will prevail.

Vladimir Padrino Lopez

General-in-Chief

• VP Tareck El Aissami spoke in a television interview on Sunday for the first time about the sanctions placed on him by the U.S. Department of the Treasury. He of course denied the whole thing, and said that he'd never been to the U.S. and that he'd never had or even asked for a U.S. visa. He also said that he had no connections with the 13 corporate entities that were sanctioned, and that he does not own any property or bank accounts outside of Venezuela.

• A professor of economics named Santiago Guevara at the University of Carabobo was arrested last Thursday by the army's intelligence department, which is weird because normally if someone commits a crime they get arrested by the police. Guevara was taken before a military tribunal and charged with treason and conspiracy to overthrow the government. That is absolutely insane because military tribunals exist only to adjudicate in matters involving active duty military personnel (i.e., if I'm a soldier and I kill another soldier in our barracks, I go before a military tribunal). There is absolutely no possible way for a civilian to be placed before a military tribunal other than "Venezuela is a dictatorship and the PSUV does what it wants". Guevara is currently being held in detention at the Fuerte Tiuna army barracks in Caracas.

I can't find details on the case, but it seems to me like the pretext for arresting Guevara is that as an economist, he has published and presented work on what a post-chavismo Venezuela might look like.

• In slightly less depressing news, the largest private bank in the country (Banesco) caught word that the inmates in the Tocuyito prison in Carabobo state had somehow managed to open up a bootleg branch of the bank inside the prison. The "bank" looks just like a real Banesco down to the colour scheme of the decorations and marketing material. The service was set up with the prison pran (read: the kind of the prison), and apparently it allows inmates to deposit money for safekeeping at a fee (much like a real bank, I guess!).

Here's an image of the "bank" inside the Tocuyito prison, including what appear to be makeshift client cards including client names and account numbers:
https://twitter.com/abelandia/status/835862513321390080

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

It is disheartening to consider that this prison bank might be more functional than many high street ones right now.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
I'm pretty sure at this point that a prison bank could also issue currency that exchanges with dollars more favorably than bolivares.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Feinne posted:

I'm pretty sure at this point that a prison bank could also issue currency that exchanges with dollars more favorably than bolivares.

Like pebbles.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Like pebbles.

Or teeth.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
"Venezuela is a dictatorship and PSUV does what it wants."

The issue with Curacazo is that the event still exists. The solution for PSUV going forward may be to re-frame the event as a time when capitalist swine raped and pillaged the barrios to steal gasoline, or to simply deny that the event ever occured.

Teeth are not a valuable export. Livers, kidneys, retinas, testes, now there's some collateral.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 2, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/01/news/economy/venezuela-cash/

well poo poo. Venezuela only has $10.5 billion in foreign reserves left.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

In a country like Venezuela I guess I'd rather go to a military prison than a civilian one. Big time.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
Yes, I know this is sourced from a Breitbart article, but the CFR and senate testimony PDF's are pretty damning when it comes to PSUV collusion with the Sinaloa and Los Zetas Cartels.
http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2017/03/03/narco-state-u-s-confirms-venezuelan-officials-engage-drug-trade/
http://www.foreign.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/030217_ONeil_Testimony_REVISED.pdf
http://www.foreign.senate.gov/hearings/venezuela-options-for-us-policy-030217

I guess we have the plot for season 3 of "Narcos."

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Mar 4, 2017

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Yesterday was the four year anniversary of Chavez's death, and the regime marked it with an ALBA meeting in the Miraflores Palace in Caracas.

A popular slogan in the country today is "Chavez vive!" (Chavez lives). It means that while his body may have died, his spirit is still alive not just in the hearts of revolutionaries, but also in even more abstract concepts such as one's love for the homeland. For example, this is part of what Maduro said about Chavez yesterday:

quote:

Today, you are the love for our homeland, the struggle for sovereignty, and the determination to never give up. Beloved Commander, the people know that you live through the commitment to victory, [and they are] certain in achieving your dream which is Bolivar’s dream: a free Venezuela and a great homeland.

A political science professor at the Universidad Central de Venezuela came up with his own take on what he thinks when he hears the phrase "Chavez vive". His name is Pedro Urruchurtu, and this is what he wrote:

quote:

Let us not forget that Chavez lives in every bullet that is fired, in every airplane full of “goodbyes”, in every expression of hatred and resentment.

Let us not forget also that Chavez lives in every line-up for food, in every malnourished child, in every death due to lack of medicine.

We cannot forget that Chavez lives in every bankrupt or expropriated business, in the most violent city on earth, and in scarcity.

Let us remember that Chavez lives in impunity and corruption, in broken and disintegrated families, and in the end of liberty.

Chavez lives in populism, in persecution and repression, in every political prisoner and victim of torture. He lives in our tragedy. He lives and laughs.

Chavez lives, today more than ever, in the faces of poverty. His eyes, everywhere, confess: “I want to see you like this: ruined”.

Chavez lives in every Venezuelan who eats garbage on our streets.

Chavez lives in every ruined dream, in every frustration, in every seed of misery. He lives in the nightmare that I call Venezuela.

That is the true legacy. Let us allow Chavez to live, but only so that we can tell the future and the world that he brought us here, to this disgrace.

MullardEL34 posted:

Yes, I know this is sourced from a Breitbart article, but the CFR and senate testimony PDF's are pretty damning when it comes to PSUV collusion with the Sinaloa and Los Zetas Cartels.
http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2017/03/03/narco-state-u-s-confirms-venezuelan-officials-engage-drug-trade/
http://www.foreign.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/030217_ONeil_Testimony_REVISED.pdf
http://www.foreign.senate.gov/hearings/venezuela-options-for-us-policy-030217

I guess we have the plot for season 3 of "Narcos."

Thanks for posting these. The expert testimony makes for a really interesting read.

It's worth pointing out that out of the three experts, Smilde is the only one who does not support more sanctions against Venezuelan officials, and I think he makes a compelling case. He argues that sanctions help to strengthen the PSUV rhetoric that it is under attack by El Imperio because its leaders are brave revolutionaries, and perhaps more importantly, it discourages officials who might be looking to jump ship by making collaboration with the U.S. government less plausible.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This will definitely help the food crisis:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/venezuela/article138964428.html

Facing a bread shortage that is spawning massive lines and souring the national mood, the Venezuelan government is responding this week by detaining bakers and seizing establishments.

In a press release, the National Superintendent for the Defense of Socioeconomic Rights said it had charged four people and temporarily seized two bakeries as the socialist administration accused bakers of being part of a broad “economic war” aimed at destabilizing the country.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Sinteres posted:

This will definitely help the food crisis:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/venezuela/article138964428.html

Facing a bread shortage that is spawning massive lines and souring the national mood, the Venezuelan government is responding this week by detaining bakers and seizing establishments.

In a press release, the National Superintendent for the Defense of Socioeconomic Rights said it had charged four people and temporarily seized two bakeries as the socialist administration accused bakers of being part of a broad “economic war” aimed at destabilizing the country.

Yes, it's clearly the people making bread who are committing economic war against the people of VZ, not the socialist retards in charge

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Maduro coined the term "Bread War" back in mid-February to refer to his theory that bakers were in league with foreign/domestic enemies to stop baking and selling bread because (???).

This crackdown on bakeries started on Monday, when Maduro and VP Tarek El Aissami went on television and outline a new set of regulations for the 700+ bakeries in Caracas. They said that every bakery has to sell its first loaf of bread by 7:00 AM. Bakeries are also forbidden from letting lines form. Later in the week, Freddy Bernal (a PSUV bigwig) said that they were floating around the idea of forcing bakeries to remain open 24/7 to ensure continues bread supply, but who knows if that's seriously been considered as an idea. It's so stupid that I think it might be. As far as I'm aware, only bakeries in Caracas are being targeted right now.

The regime "inspection" teams tasked with checking on the bakeries are made up of people from the agency in charge of regulating and monitoring prices, as well as "members from the Bolivarian militia". I don't know if the militia members are formally armed when they're out conducting these checks.

Of course, as the article Sinteres pointed out that main reason why bakeries don't have bread is because they don't have flour. Imports are down 21.6% from last year and the national bakers' guild has been warning for months and months that there isn't nearly enough flour coming into Venezuela to meet demand. In other words, what the PSUV is asking bakeries is to magically produce bread while it actively works to stop them from doing that.

In another bit of news, OAS Secretary General Luis Almagro is pushing hard for suspending Venezuela from the organization again. He released a report on Wednesday calling for immediate elections in the country or he would move to invoke Article 21 of the Inter-American Democratic Charter on the country, which would suspend it from the OAS until it got its act together.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni
It's also worth noting bread loaves are regulated. That means bakeries sell them at a steep loss, which they then recoup through pastries and sweets. If bakeries are forced to use 90% of the flour they get to produce loaves and lose money on every sale, they're not going to be able to make and sell enough unregulated products to stay in the black.

In short, if the government insists on cracking down as hard as they're saying, they're going to bankrupt most bakeries, which I'm guessing they will then seize and continue running into the ground. I mean, these clowns have a 0% success record as far as expropriated companies go from what I know. There isn't a single instance where they seized a factory or business and actually managed to increase production or even turn a profit, that kind of commitment to ineptitude is almost impressive.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Labradoodle posted:

It's also worth noting bread loaves are regulated. That means bakeries sell them at a steep loss, which they then recoup through pastries and sweets. If bakeries are forced to use 90% of the flour they get to produce loaves and lose money on every sale, they're not going to be able to make and sell enough unregulated products to stay in the black.

In short, if the government insists on cracking down as hard as they're saying, they're going to bankrupt most bakeries, which I'm guessing they will then seize and continue running into the ground. I mean, these clowns have a 0% success record as far as expropriated companies go from what I know. There isn't a single instance where they seized a factory or business and actually managed to increase production or even turn a profit, that kind of commitment to ineptitude is almost impressive.

They should probably close down anyway. The government is bringing criminal charges against bakers for having lines or not selling x number of loaves when they are only allocated enough flour to make 5% of that number. It not just that bakers are being driven out of business by the government, the government is sending them to jail as scapegoats.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Literally jailing people trying to feed a starving country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

When you say letting lines form or having lines, what does that mean? I can't imagine how a store is supposed to keep from having lines form.