Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

mandatory lesbian posted:

i prefer one good region to 2 mediocre ones, personally

That's not quite fair. It was more like one good region (Johto) and one pretty empty region (gen II Kanto).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, to be honest it's been a whie since I played Gen 2 (in fact, those are the games that caused me to get bored and abandon the series as a kid, I only just recently got back into it). I just thought it was a neat concept that could be expanded upon (it's also probably the longest post-game in the whole franchise as a result), though I realize that might not be workable in this day and age,.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Larryb posted:

(it's also probably the longest post-game in the whole franchise as a result)

nope, B2W2's is (and also the best and most fun)

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

We will be able to revisit those regions when they eventually release Pokemon Kanto & Johto as part of gen 8.

Pokemon J/K

less laughter posted:

My favorite part of that is fighting all sorts of toddlers, bug catchers and junior trainers after becoming the champion. One of them has like a level 50 Dratini, Larvitar and Axew.
Edit: To be exact, Preschooler Samantha has a Dratini, Gible and Bagon. All are level 59.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 3, 2017

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
who will be the box mascots tho

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
God drat leveling up Pokémon in this game sucks

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

FishBulb posted:

God drat leveling up Pokémon in this game sucks

Seriously, what happened to Audino? They're on like one route halfway through XY and have been nowhere else since gen 5.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I am Reverend posted:

Seriously, what happened to Audino? They're on like one route halfway through XY and have been nowhere else since gen 5.
There are plenty of Audino in the Battle Chateau, at least.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

less laughter posted:

Quoted for truth. Gen 5 is still my favorite gen.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why am I getting so angry when Totem Mimikyu is sweeping away my overleveled team like butter, instead of thinking that this game is awesome because of such difficulty?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Why am I getting so angry when Totem Mimikyu is sweeping away my overleveled team like butter, instead of thinking that this game is awesome because of such difficulty?

Mimikyu is a huge dick.

If by chance you have anything with Mold Breaker, or a multi-hit attacker with Skill Link (like Cloyster or Toucannon), that should help you tear through its disguise.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Disguise also doesn't protect against status effects so poisoning it is an option.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I hope they never go back to HM slaves. I turned on X cause I wanted to breed up a shitlord power up punch Kangaskhan to bring over and HMs are the worst.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I hope they never go back to HM slaves. I turned on X cause I wanted to breed up a shitlord power up punch Kangaskhan to bring over and HMs are the worst.

I miss Dig and Teleport having out-of-battle effects, and I don't really like the "here, summon a taxi, I mean, a Charizard" gimmick, but even with Game Freak's standard two steps forward, one step back method of game development I can't imagine them deciding "no, players really liked needing cut AND strength AND rock smash AND surf AND waterfall AND dive!" so at least any new regions should be safe. Hard to tell about the remakes, though.

(I still secretly hope the Sinnoh remakes are Industrial Diamond and Cultured Pearl. They won't be, but I can hope right up until it's announced they aren't :v:)

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

You can buy escape ropes and honey.

Also mimikyu is so drat common on battle spot you should have a counter floating around for sure.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 4, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zuzie posted:

Disguise also doesn't protect against status effects so poisoning it is an option.

This is why I run Substitute on my Mimikyu. :unsmigghh:

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You can buy escape ropes and honey.

Also mimikyu is so drat common on battle spot you should have a counter floating around for sure.

Escape ropes don't get you back to the last town from outside on a route, though; only teleport does that AFAIK. I mean, so does Fly, but Teleport isn't a HM and isn't restricted by needing a certain number of badges. (The 'acts like Honey' move is Sweet Scent, which I had forgotten existed. I either also forgot or never knew that Softboiled and Milk Drink could be used out of battle - they transfer HP from the user to another party pokemon.)

zonohedron fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 4, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

i prefer one good region to 2 mediocre ones, personally

johto was a good region and kanto was an epilogue victory run, so not being as full fledged is fine

the problem with gen 2 was the level curve, not the world itself

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Manatee Cannon posted:

johto was a good region and kanto was an epilogue victory run, so not being as full fledged is fine

the problem with gen 2 was the level curve, not the world itself

Actually both the level curve and the region sucked.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Did they seriously put the move relearner right before the elite four?
:psyduck:
My Marowak has things to do, and ghosts to whack.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Despite leveling up being kind of a pain Gen 7 is one of the best Pokemon games I've played. The Z-Move system is useful, they actually give you an on screen map you don't have to go into your menu to acess complete with markers telling you where to go next, and it actually tells you what moves are good against what Pokemon (provided you've already fought that particular one before that is), and the story is probably one of the best since Black & White (I'm kind of curious how badly the anime is going to screw it up now especially considering, as far as I know, Cosmog hasn't even shown up yet).

Speaking of the anime, what's with the sudden change in art style this season after keeping it more or less consistent since the beginning (I don't mind it exactly, it's just a little jarring at first)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 4, 2017

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Larryb posted:

Speaking of the anime, what's with the sudden change in art style this season after keeping it more or less consistent since the beginning?

I'm sure that a different art studio is handling the Sun and Moon anime from the one that did the XY series.

As for the anime's plot... Let's say that it's now more of a slice of life anime then previous series since it has Ash attending a school and most of the Trial Captains from the games are his classmates. I have no idea if they're even going to travel through the other islands.

They did spoil a major plot point in the games though that might hint at something.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 4, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zuzie posted:

I'm sure that a different art studio is handling the Sun and Moon anime from the one that did the XY series.

As for the anime's plot... Let's say that it's now more of a slice of life anime then previous series since it has Ash attending a school and most of the Trial Captains from the games are his classmates. I have no idea if they're even going to travel through the other islands.

They did spoil a major plot point in the games though that might hint at something.

Yeah, though the thing is if you dump the whole Nebby/Lusamine thing you also get rid of most of Lillie's character development along with it (and it seems too tied to the character to shove it off into a movie or something), but it's still early so maybe they'll surprise us (Lillie's apparent fear of Pokemon in the anime could be taken as a hint regarding her upbringing though).

Granted they have changed things from the games before (like Iris not being a gym leader for some reason) but Lusamine is one of the more...psychotic villians I've seen in a Pokemon game and that seems like a fun character to see animated.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 4, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wasn't iris only a gym leader in one of the b&w games

the old dude was in the other one and b2w2 had her as the champ

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Iris was a GL in White 1, while Drayden was the GL in Black 1.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Zuzie posted:

it's the same studio as xyz and the art style shift is the best thing that ever happened to the anime

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I just straight-up taunted the Totem Mimikyu by opening with Pikachu and Volt-switching out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ruggington posted:

it's the same studio as xyz and the art style shift is the best thing that ever happened to the anime

Yeah, aside from Ash looking like he's aged down about 5 years most everyone else still seems fairly on model at least. This is probably the furthest they've deviated from the games yet though (though to be fair, the game itself kind of put a new spin on the clasic formula so there's no reason the anime can't follow suit).

Wonder how Ash is going to fail this time considering there doesn't seem to be a Pokemon League (though even if they don't put one in they'll probably have some sort of final examination that serves basically the same purpose). Off the subject but back to the game I recently found out through experimentation that the Tapus are not counted as Legendaries and can be used in the Battle Dome/Tree, which could be advantageous.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 4, 2017

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
They made the ordinary (pre-super) battle facility categories actually difficult this time! To the extent it's a struggle to get anywhere with my in-game team, even after a bit of EV re-jigging. Kind of a surprise. Still I contributed the required number of BP to the global mission. Which as of when I looked at it yesterday has passed its target 17 times over.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
What's with the show anyways I know it's supposed to be on Disney but since airing the first two episodes months ago it hasn't shown up at all. My kid is bugging me.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

And now I just hatched a Shiny Gible. It unfortunately looks exactly the same when evolved into Garchomp. Also it's got Sand Veil instead of Rough Skin.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
That was a valid complaint before gen VI, but not anymore now. I suggest you take a look at shiny Mega Garchomp.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

less laughter posted:

That was a valid complaint before gen VI, but not anymore now. I suggest you take a look at shiny Mega Garchomp.

Except Garchomp is still better than Mega Garchomp because it is 7 base points faster.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

OgreNoah posted:

And now I just hatched a Shiny Gible. It unfortunately looks exactly the same when evolved into Garchomp. Also it's got Sand Veil instead of Rough Skin.

I'm sorry. The first shiny I hatched was also a Gible. I never evolved it. It stayed in My Pokemon Ranch for years and then I finally brought it into Bank. I should put it in SuMo and feed it some beans or somethng.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

AlternateNu posted:

Except Garchomp is still better than Mega Garchomp because it is 7 base points faster.

Shiny Garchomp isn't bright pink

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Paul.Power posted:

I just straight-up taunted the Totem Mimikyu by opening with Pikachu and Volt-switching out.
:justpost:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Hey I got a gold bottle camp from the cave thing. Cool.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

OgreNoah posted:

This was my first shiney in sumo as well - makes a fabulous mega, though!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Just hatched a shiny 5V (nearly 6V) Mareanie.....with limber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Dienes posted:

Just hatched a shiny 5V (nearly 6V) Mareanie.....with limber.

I breed a ton of Mareanies for WT purposes (because I'd rather send out something good than recycled junk mons) and I'm just waiting for this to happen to me.

Also recently got an obviously hacked shiny Magnemite in WT (perfect 30/31 IVs for HP Fire). Somebody tell me I'm not crazy and that Eviolite Magneton is better than Magnezone, because blue-eye Magnezone seems like such a step back from gold Magneton. I mean, he's -10 in HP and SpA, but he's +10 in Speed and way better in Def and SpDef with Eviolite.