Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
well why not
Feb 10, 2009

yeah framerate is definitely a factor. I'd definitely be OK with less grass or whatever if it stayed at 30fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

beergod posted:

What is ideal Zelda playing on a train? Kickstand/pro controller probably but then you have to pack the controller and you look like a weirdo

Tablet mode with joy cons connected is the most hassle free and you don't have to have a flat space to put the unit and you don't have to pack anything else but then it's basically a vita which isn't necessarily bad just not new

Kickstand/joycon freestyle with no adapter in the middle is a good middle ground because you don't have to pack anything else but I don't know how good freestyle is in Zelda

Last would be kickstand/joycons with middle adapter but in that case why not pack the pro controller

Asking for a friend.

You're sitting on a train playing the Switch, man up and realise you'll look a bit odd even without using the Pro Controller. I'd say go with that option if it's most comfortable for you to use, but then again yeah packing it up along with the Switch could be bothersome due to space. Other than that, freestyle Joycons are pretty fuckin good. I've been switching between using them freestyle for a few hours, then on that provided plastic housing thing to turn them into a controller. Both are really easy to use and I play Zelda just fine with both. Only downside about freestyle is they can feel a bit small in my hands, which is a minor nuisance but doesn't impact gameplay.

It's fun as gently caress lying back on the sofa with one Joycon slung over the back behind my head and the other in my lap. Literally just adopting the comfiest position and slaying poo poo in Zelda, 10/10

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I got paranoid about dock-screen scratch reports and did this beautiful job.

RIP lovely t-shirt.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Teenage Fansub posted:

I got paranoid about dock-screen scratch reports and did this beautiful job.

Pro Tip: Felt strips made for furniture if you're paranoid or hate the rattling.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't had any Zelda framerate issues on my 40inch tv

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Any streamers you guys recommend to vicariously Switch/Zelda goodness? Watching sodapoppin right now, he's alright.

edit: Stumbled on his "Use the shovel" video. Gat drat he used to be a whiny Pewdiepie clone. Much more calm and tolerable now.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 4, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

bowmore posted:

Were you handheld for the first ten minutes? One of the definite chuggy areas is the walk down to meet the old man.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Teenage Fansub posted:

Were you handheld for the first ten minutes? One of the definite chuggy areas is the walk down to meet the old man.
nope, all dock

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like the Switch start is a roller coaster of fun and games so far! I like it.

Too bad I can only join this wild ride in April, I have to wait until I get paid for the new job I've started last week. (On the other hand, without that job I'd have to wait until 2018 to buy the Switch, so I shouldn't complain, I guess. :v: )

So far on my buying list for April:

-Switch
-Zelda
-Fast RMX

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Decius posted:

Pro Tip: Felt strips made for furniture if you're paranoid or hate the rattling.

...it rattles too?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

bowmore posted:

Maybe your TV is only 720p?

alr
May 14, 2009
Fast RMX is fantastic so far, but the online really is the minimum effort required. You're dumped into spectating a race in progress, everyone votes for the next track, highest amount of votes and you go. Doesn't even give you a time split at the end, I lost my first race even though my screen showed me in front of the other guy, would've been nice to see how close it was. It's worth the cost if you're a fan of F-Zero/Wipeout though, fast as gently caress with gorgeous tracks and I'm only in novice leagues. Aliasing is noticeable in TV mode. Controls can be fully customized and rebound, and you can turn off HDR and chromatic aberration.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Josh Lyman posted:

Maybe your TV is only 720p?
Nah, it's 1080p

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

...it rattles too?

It does if you decide to rattle the stationary console for some bizarre reason.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

beergod posted:

What is ideal Zelda playing on a train?

Tablet mode with joycons attached

Don't be that weird idiot on the train with a pro controller jfc

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost
That Zelda's real good.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Played a shitload yesterday and here's my thoughts.

Pro controller isn't really needed. I bought one after hearing bad things but I like playing with the joy cons detached and not in the grip. Feels fine but a little small (medium to large gloves for me, so YMMV). Didn't cramp or hurt my hands after a marathon session yesterday. Love playing on the TV, Zelda on a small screen is a little tricky. Hard to see far away things and that's important because the map is so goddamn big. Slight frame rate issues but it isn't a big deal. This coming from a PC gamer that tries to get 60hz on everything. :shrug:

Loving Zelda so far, but I'm dying a lot.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Larrymer posted:

Played a shitload yesterday and here's my thoughts.

Pro controller isn't really needed. I bought one after hearing bad things but I like playing with the joy cons detached and not in the grip. Feels fine but a little small (medium to large gloves for me, so YMMV). Didn't cramp or hurt my hands after a marathon session yesterday. Love playing on the TV, Zelda on a small screen is a little tricky. Hard to see far away things and that's important because the map is so goddamn big. Slight frame rate issues but it isn't a big deal. This coming from a PC gamer that tries to get 60hz on everything. :shrug:

Loving Zelda so far, but I'm dying a lot.

My death count is so high. I was just about to unlock a shrine. It was right there, just across the water. I go to swim across and then bam, lizard men wreck my poo poo. I ended up drowning and getting spawned a little ways back. I tried climbing the canyon to get to the shrine instead but they spat water at me and I fell into the water and drowned again. Feels bad.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
Any tips for snagging one. I wish I could just order on amazon and it just show up when it shows up.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Milosh posted:

Any tips for snagging one. I wish I could just order on amazon and it just show up when it shows up.

All of the targets by me restocked this morning. Apparently a second wave is hitting all retailers this weekend. Toysrus says they're getting theirs tomorrow.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Ometeotl posted:

You're probably having the same issue I did. The Switch cannot connect to wifi using the outdated TKIP encryption, it'll only use AES. You'll have to switch your router's settings to use AES.

This fixed it perfectly!! Cripes man, thank you so much! Now I can try out the long-awaited Snipperclips :cry:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Kithkar posted:

All of the targets by me restocked this morning. Apparently a second wave is hitting all retailers this weekend. Toysrus says they're getting theirs tomorrow.

My local Facebook groups are full of people trying to scalp Switches for $500. Fuckin' *womp*womp*

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Reporting in: I've noticed no problems with my joycons except that the left stick clicks a little too easy for me, but that's because of my lead thumb lol.

Anyway Zelda is fun af and I'm gonna play it basically all weekend.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

Anyway Zelda is fun af and I'm gonna play it basically all weekend.

Same

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I like that some people seem to think that the physical size of their TV actually factors in regarding the slowdowns in BotW.

Also, even if you can't perceive the drops, they still happen. The game is just like that, especially when docked. Some people are just less susceptible to noticing slowdowns.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Milosh posted:

Where do you live? Country + City, in the least creepy way possible to ask that question.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
should i wait for the New Switch

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Tomahawk posted:

should i wait for the New Switch

I'd go ahead and wait in line for it right now. Better to be two years early than to risk not getting one!

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran

Loopoo posted:

Where do you live? Country + City, in the least creepy way possible to ask that question.

Central KY. Checked target and Walmart. Gonna do toys r us tomorrow.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Haven't picked up the Pro controller yet but I'm now actually reconsidering it. The Joycons are really neat and cool.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I've added a link to the Nintengoons Discord Server made by IAmKale to the OP. Come on in and join us as we repeatedly die in Zelda!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Is it sold out everywhere like the wii u and wii was?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Yes, unfortunately. The Target near me says they're getting a resupply Sunday morning.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Yawgmoft posted:

Yes, unfortunately. The Target near me says they're getting a resupply Sunday morning.

Yup, online Target says they're in stock all around me but none of them received new stock last night when I called them.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
hey does anyone itt know how large the (day one) system update is? due to reasons i cant connect to the wifi here and no built in ethernet soo its gonna have to be mobile

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Anybody having issues with scratches on the back? Not a huge deal, but I got pretty long one one almost immediately and I have no idea how. Put it on a soft surface, applied the screen protector, put it in the dock.

Maybe they'll sell replacement backs once stock issues die down.

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

One of my local Targets had 13 left this morning when I went and I was able to get one waiting right as they opened. The one closest to me opens at 7am and they received no new ones but said they'd get them tomorrow probably. Other Target opened at 8 and had a bunch that came in this morning.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

People weren't joking when they said that the OS is minimal. Compare to how 3DS comes with AR Games, Faceraiders, a whole slew of poo poo. This just has like four options total. It's nice there's no junk but it does feel very empty.

The eShop kinda feels the same. There's a handful of games and honestly that slew of NEOGEO titles makes the entire store look a bit crappy.

Virtual Console will be a boon for the Switch, really hope there's news on this soon.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I don't mean to sound racist but the black horses run much faster than all the other coloured horses I've found.

4 star speed.

I want to find the perfect horse but I don't know what it looks like.

The black horses go really fast though. There is probably a unicorn somewhere with perfect stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Dungeons? Ganon? Actually I lost my memories and catch horses now. Bye Zelda. Good luck with the Calamity!

• Locked thread