Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I still want it to be good. I don't play it, but I want to play it someday. Maybe it will be good someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Unctuous Cretin posted:

I still want it to be good. I don't play it, but I want to play it someday. Maybe it will be good someday.

Yes.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Unctuous Cretin posted:

Same.

iminers posted:

Now people don't have to spend their hard earned money to see what a steaming pile of poo poo this game is.

Very nice of them.

There is enough content locked out on the free trial that people might be a bit mislead tbh

I'm considering logging in again to see how it's changed in the last few months, and refresh my house.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I'm going to try this out but I am afraid it will delete my autoexec.bat or some poo poo.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Givin posted:

I'm going to try this out but I am afraid it will delete my autoexec.bat or some poo poo.

Nah it's not really fun to play, but it isn't crashy/gonna wreck your poo poo

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
technologically the main thing about it is that the frame rate is terrible- the servers perform fine and the client is stable

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

30.5 Days posted:

technologically the main thing about it is that the frame rate is terrible- the servers perform fine and the client is stable

True that, for something for graphics like Morrowind, but levels one 50th of the size it performs terribly.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Both times I played the game I could not tell what I needed to be doing, where I needed to go, or what my abilities were even doing in combat so my brain could not form any sort of interest response to anything that happened in Shroud of the Avatar

There's "game is rough and has problems and no clear signposting yet" and then there's "the game loop is so un-designed that it fails to elicit any sort of reaction from someone trying to play it".

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I can't remember the details but I remember laughing really hard ITT about that post where the guy broke down how aggro and taunting (don't) work

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Apparently they have never shipped any of the physical rewards yet and basically are keeping the playerbase in suspense about if that will ever happen

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

extra stout posted:

I try my best to always talk about this scam of a game without insulting Lum because he is a good dude and a good dev, but it is hard since that is his current job and all. I imagine all the defense of this game (by all I mean four posters here and maybe a hundred left on their forums and Steam) are the big money donors still in denial. I only gave $30 and still the game is so unfinished, obsessed with cash shop transactions, and not at all what was promised that I genuinely am not sure if I'd ever buy a game again from the guy who made my favorite childhood game. If only I could get a lawyer for 8 dollars, then I'd still get 22 back.

This.

I'm just really embarassed that Richard Garriot put this game out. I've been a huge fan of him for quite a time and i KNOW he can do better.

Capntastic posted:

Apparently they have never shipped any of the physical rewards yet and basically are keeping the playerbase in suspense about if that will ever happen

:lol:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
huh. let me check rq if my pledge level gets a physical reward. i thought only lords of the manor, the people that pay ten grand to have dinner with lord british at britannia manor, get an original akalabeth

e: Yeah my $?00 pledge gets me a signed cloth map! and I get to create an npc!

at least I got the rent free digital house

Node fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 4, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
woops, dp

Node fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 4, 2017

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Capntastic posted:

Both times I played the game I could not tell what I needed to be doing, where I needed to go, or what my abilities were even doing in combat

Did you play UO?

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Capntastic posted:

I'm still waiting for all my physical poo poo, I even paid the extra for international shipping.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

yoloer420 posted:

I'm still waiting for all my physical poo poo, I even paid the extra for international shipping.

If this next TELETHON raises enough funds we will consider sending the physical rewards so let's get those phones ringing!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

I can't remember the details but I remember laughing really hard ITT about that post where the guy broke down how aggro and taunting (don't) work

My posting history in this thread is both embarrassing & tells a story about this game.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I remember when I 'donated' a lot of money to this bad game. Is this bad game still a scam or is it merely a bad game now?

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

2DCAT posted:

I remember when I 'donated' a lot of money to this bad game. Is this bad game still a scam or is it merely a bad game now?

50/50, it's a bad game, but your physical rewards don't exist.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

yoloer420 posted:

Did you play UO?

I did. I even enjoyed it a lot! But Shroud should probably build on some of the sandbox gameplay ideas that have happened in the two decades since UO was birthed.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

2DCAT posted:

luckily it's both

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I was given an exclusive interview with Richard Garriot. I knocked on his door and he yelled 'GO AWAY I'M BATIN'

I knocked again four hours later and was allowed in, he was doing whatever this is and never answered a question. Sorry I let you down with answers about where the game or physical goods are.

https://twitter.com/CFVRLab/status/840623474951479296

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Capntastic posted:

I did. I even enjoyed it a lot! But Shroud should probably build on some of the sandbox gameplay ideas that have happened in the two decades since UO was birthed.

UO is still around, free, and filled with players. There's a massive community on the free shard. I even placed a house near Brit bank, which was supposed to be impossible (it's pretty well filled up with houses).

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
The Wiki suggests that Estgard has an Oracle now. Is this accurate and does anyone know where it is?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I too respect the hell out of Lum and it makes overtly hating on SOTA that much harder, but boy, this game is still loving garbage. It feels like I funded a bunch of old manchildren's retirement adventures, not a game that's playable, let alone enjoyable.

I'm not convinced SOTA is an intentional scam though. Nothing has indicated they have the management talent or self-control required for something so calculated and cynical.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

boho posted:

I'm not convinced SOTA is an intentional scam though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Woa is that a pet? Looks like it's well done and could hold further accessories too. I'm apparently a loving retard, would you take $30 for it?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
The promise has been made.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

boho posted:

I too respect the hell out of Lum and it makes overtly hating on SOTA that much harder, but boy, this game is still loving garbage. It feels like I funded a bunch of old manchildren's retirement adventures, not a game that's playable, let alone enjoyable.

I'm not convinced SOTA is an intentional scam though. Nothing has indicated they have the management talent or self-control required for something so calculated and cynical.

May I remind you of the fateful day when they asked for like 200k USD to design elves as a playable race, and their intentions to scam became crystal clear.

Or that video with the robot-ipad-garriott-face...c'mon

It was pretty calculated and cynical from the start if you ask me

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Mr. Pickles posted:

May I remind you of the fateful day when they asked for like 200k USD to design elves as a playable race, and their intentions to scam became crystal clear.

Or that video with the robot-ipad-garriott-face...c'mon

It was pretty calculated and cynical from the start if you ask me

I have no clear memory of this so I'm genuinely asking: Did they spend 20k of the 200k to buy pre-rendered elves from another dev and 180k on a famous sword duelists skull to frame in the office, that will go into Garriot's mansion once the office stops existing in two years?

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Well who can say, the possibility is very real though

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

extra stout posted:

I have no clear memory of this so I'm genuinely asking: Did they spend 20k of the 200k to buy pre-rendered elves from another dev and 180k on a famous sword duelists skull to frame in the office, that will go into Garriot's mansion once the office stops existing in two years?

That sub stretch whatever it was goal never funded so there never was 200k for it.

I think it only got something like 9k total? Could look it up but that seems like :effort: because nobody else did.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Man that mushroom world boss in the latest video is top notch

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/38176

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

FireWhizzle posted:

Man that mushroom world boss in the latest video is top notch

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/38176

I'd like to think that this $49 asset was a $10k stretch goal, or a reason that the also-market-bought-$50-house-assets cost $750+

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
How long until you can buy desk and shelf sized mushrooms for $15 a pop or $30 for 3?

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
So I've been trying to play this a bit. All the player vendors have no stock and I've not seen another player in two days.

I want a greenhouse but at this point I'd have to grind the skills to make it rather than just grind the gold to buy it.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Did you find an Oracle in Estgard?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Haha, okay. The game world's name has been changed due to overwhelming support from Novia, to TRAMMUCCA. I am not joking.

Node fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 1, 2017

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
P...perhaps you are the April Fool, senpai?? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Unctuous Cretin posted:

Did you find an Oracle in Estgard?

Nope