Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It might be a thing when physical media for games starts failing hard like with movies nowadays, but it still seems like that's a long way off at the moment (for consoles at least).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lobok posted:

They just need to come out with a bad-rear end firefighting game and VR will take off!

A VR port of that arcade firefighting railshooter would be cool

Any port of that arcade firefighting railshooter would be cool

I just want to play that game without spending a ton of money on lives >:[

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

IMO all Bioware RPGs from the past 8 or so years had some obvious flaws so I expect Andromeda to be the same in that regard.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretty much, basically as long as it's better than DA2 I'll be happy.

Actually scratch that, as long as it doesn't have a character as bad as Sera I'll be happy.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

FirstAidKite posted:

Hell yeah. Brave Firefighters was pretty cool.

I remember playing it a couple times years ago at Dave & Busters.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Volfogg posted:

Hell yeah. Brave Firefighters was pretty cool.

I remember playing it a couple times years ago at Dave & Busters.

gently caress yeah

I've seen vids of people playing it emulated but it doesn't emulate well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuhx5clJ2sQ

It, House of the Dead 2, and Ocean Hunter are the sega arcade games I wish would show up on steam or something at some point.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sakurazuka posted:

Pretty much, basically as long as it's better than DA2 I'll be happy.

Actually scratch that, as long as it doesn't have a character as bad as Sera I'll be happy.

Peebee is the new Serah supposedly. Just leave her in the cargo hold I guess?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Ekster posted:

IMO all Bioware RPGs from the past 8 or so years had some obvious flaws so I expect Andromeda to be the same in that regard.

I can't think of any Bioware games that aren't about ancient powerful things ruining everyone's day, either under their own power or in the hands of the bad guy. It's kind of ridiculous.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

FirstAidKite posted:

gently caress yeah

I've seen vids of people playing it emulated but it doesn't emulate well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuhx5clJ2sQ

It, House of the Dead 2, and Ocean Hunter are the sega arcade games I wish would show up on steam or something at some point.

There is a collection called House Of The Dead 2 & 3 Return on the Wii.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I recently discovered that House of the Dead 4 got a PS3 port, sadly it's pretty worthless without being able to use a lightgun with it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I recently discovered that House of the Dead 4 got a PS3 port, sadly it's pretty worthless without being able to use a lightgun with it.

How do they handle the shaking mechanic, do they just have you press/mash a button?

Also, it really fuckin bugs me we never got a house of the dead that finished off the major arcana deck. They were so close, they only had like 3 left!!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

that's me spraying Fanta over the plant like it's a real thirsty boy

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Also, it really fuckin bugs me we never got a house of the dead that finished off the major arcana deck. They were so close, they only had like 3 left!!

p sure the Thoth tarot has Agent G, Isaac Washington, and Varla Guns arcana

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Palpek posted:

drat, so Nier Automata is coming to Steam way earlier than I thought. Also:

Lol

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
hey remember like 3 hours ago when i was all overhyping the poo poo out of Horizon?

i had not even gotten to the Proving

i'm trying to moderate my tone here but good loving christ i love this game and i love that Smartass Chloe is the main character

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

precision posted:

I had a very similar thought, that the guys who made this should just make the next Fallout because this makes FO4 look like dog poo poo

The lead writer on Horizon was the guy behind Fallout: NV so you're not off by much here.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It's a really good game. I went from being pretty meh on it during previews to falling in love with it after playing it to putting it up for potential goty, though I guess we'll see how that shakes out after I have time to digest it and play Zelda and compare both to Nioh. Finding out that CDPR helped Guerilla on Horizon along with a New Vegas alumnus goes a long way towards explaining to me how it came to be an unexpected hit.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
I kind of want to get a Switch. It'd be my first Nintendo console since N64 and BotW would be the first 3D Zelda game I play, but I have a hard time getting that hyped about it. The Gamestop nearest to me actually still have them in stock.

The 20 minute round trip to get one felt like too much effort, so I just bought Horizon instead. :jerry: Maybe next week.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Sakurazuka posted:

Have CDPR released any more information about that recently? Seems like years since I heard anything.

That teaser they put up years ago was part of a recruitment drive to attract staff for the game. They were planning on being a two game studio but The Witcher 3 became a all-hands-on-deck development. 2017 is supposed to be the year they'll talk about Cyberpunk 2077 since all of The Witcher 3 content was released.

They set up a new studio in Krakow. It sounds as if CDPR Warsaw (Witcher developer) will work on Cyberpunk 2077 while the new Krakow studio will handle the Witcher series in the future.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bloodychill posted:

It's a really good game. I went from being pretty meh on it during previews to falling in love with it after playing it to putting it up for potential goty

:same:

Like everyone else the early promo poo poo got me excited to play a goofy modern Turok/Tomb Raider/Ubisoft open world game, then ~that scene~ got leaked and suddenly I was like "hold up, what?"

But then that scene happens in like the first hour and even though it's not as bad in context, it's also just about the only bad voice acting I've heard - everything else has been absolutely stellar, everyone I've chatted with has had their own accent/quirks/personality. Goddamn it I even ended up feeling bad for the little poo poo that throws a rock at you in the beginning.

And then it turns out the game has very solid - not perfect, but very solid - combat, especially with all the ways you can be a badass Bat-cavewoman slowing down time while you chuck lightning grenades and rope dinosaurs together and switch on the fly to your bow and score a precision shot right between the optics :sicknasty:

The only thing is that, man, I still maintain that the intro where you're 10 years old was way too long and didn't properly indicate just how totally fuckin' sweet the game would end up being. I just know there are people who shut the game off and returned it before they got to the Proving or even before they finished the Prologue. Their loss, but I really hope this game sells like hotcakes and I don't see any reason it won't unless Zelda buries it, but I honestly doubt that will happen because a lot of people own PS4s and don't own Wii Us or Switches

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

precision posted:

hey remember like 3 hours ago when i was all overhyping the poo poo out of Horizon?

i had not even gotten to the Proving

i'm trying to moderate my tone here but good loving christ i love this game and i love that Smartass Chloe is the main character

Yeah, I keep spending hours doing side stuff while every advancement of the main story unlocks huge new chunks of the game. I also wandered around looking at stuff before heading in for the Proving, and then wandered around hunting low-level robodinos before heading west. Then I finally go there and holy crap it unlocked 2/3 of the world map there's desert/steppe environments and giant birds flying around and places to stand where you can see for miles and and and

Definitely echo the complaints about the intro though, too much stuff that's totally unlike the main game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sakurazuka posted:

My current feelings on Horizon vs Zelder is that Horizon is a great open world game, Zelder is an amazing open world.

Someone told my friend after playing both that BOTW is "Zelda meets Far Cry 2" and Horizon is "Assassin's Creed meets Far Cry 3".

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

zelda is mgs5 + witcher 3

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Quest For Glory II posted:

darksydephil got kicked out of machinima. the only thing i know about him is he got caught masturbating on stream once

You know how CWC was basically a whipping boy for other basement dwellers who were only slightly less sad and broken than he was? Darksydephil is that for competitive fighting game people and Let's Players.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
i always knew horizon was gonna be good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

Horizon is "Assassin's Creed meets Far Cry 3".

I mean, kind of, but Horizon is a 10 and even the best AC game is like a 7

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I've never cared about darksydephil but did he masturbate on camera on accident or on 'accident'.

This is important.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Lurdiak posted:

Someone told my friend after playing both that BOTW is "Zelda meets Far Cry 2" and Horizon is "Assassin's Creed meets Far Cry 3".

I'd say BoTW is Morrowind meets Minecraft and Horizon is Tomb Raider 2013 meets Assassin's Creed.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Tell Sony to release the game on PC so I can play it

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FirstAidKite posted:

The only arcade shooter the world needs is Lucky & Wild

The rest can go straight into the trash

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Macaluso posted:

Tell Sony to release the game on PC so I can play it

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a port eventually

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

raditts posted:

The only arcade shooter the world needs is Lucky & Wild

The rest can go straight into the trash

When you open your heart you soon realize there's enough love to go around for all arcade shooters.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a port eventually

Sony don't really port over their first party stuff, like at all. You're only slightly less likely to get a port of BotW.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

glam rock hamhock posted:

Sony don't really port over their first party stuff, like at all. You're only slightly less likely to get a port of BotW.

Oh, I wasn't aware it was "true" first-party, I thought it was a No Man's Sky situation.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I guess maybe I'll get HZD after all.

But I'm getting Nier first.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

zelda is mgs5 + witcher 3

Zelda is: Adventure; hobby-grade campaign; genre-blended, multi-mode competitive e-sports; meta-growth, choice + epic Zelda Heroes!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Oh, I wasn't aware it was "true" first-party, I thought it was a No Man's Sky situation.

I don't think any game by Guerilla has ever left a Sony system. I mean first party for Sony is always other companies but I think Guerilla is owned by Sony.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

fridge corn posted:

i always knew horizon was gonna be good

:same:

I think more than any other recent game Horizon followed a path of "this looks pretty good, has continued to look good, and will probably be really good" from start to finish. I'm not surprised but I am pretty happy because this is exactly the kind of open world I have always wanted to play, when almost every previous setting has been either "boring white dude in a city w/ guns" or Ye Old Shite Covered Fantasie. The only surprise is that it might be a little bit better than good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's so refreshing to play a game where I haven't already had the variety spoiled or bragged about beforehand. Really adds to the game's quality to play for 5-10 hours and then suddenly find out, at the same time as your character, just how "big" the world is and not everyone is like your tribe, etc. Like when I finally got into the village I slow-walked everywhere because my jaw was on the floor the whole time. I even sat and listened to the old lady's story without feeling any urge to skip it or get up early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

In Training posted:

Zelda is: Adventure; hobby-grade campaign; genre-blended, multi-mode competitive e-sports; meta-growth, choice + epic Zelda Heroes!

zelda is... [camera pulls out and i'm on a mountain top] gooooooooood!!

• Locked thread