Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I loving love that episode and i don't care who knows it. It's weird.

This is truth, man. Despite having a stupid, outlandish premise and the cringeworthy jockey elves scene, there are some real funny jokes and gags in that episode besides what was represented in those gifs.
Homer ordering that Bachman Turner Overdrive play Taking Care of Business over and over again, but skipping to the "working overtime" part of the chorus.
On the deep-fried t-shirt, "I didn't say they couldn't. I said you shouldn't."
The band teacher conceding to Lisa that instead of playing something written by Sousa, maybe they could play something just arranged by Sousa instead?
"Otherwise we're taking a trip to the glue factory..... and HE CAN'T COME!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
heres a gr8 clip truly classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6XEwG2p31M

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

There are Futurama seasons on Netflix Canada but they are season 7, 8, 9, and 10 and I'm too lazy to go look them up to if they are the end of the show or even if they are the new Comedy Central episodes

---

Just looked it up on IMDB and they only list Futurama as Seasons 1-7

WTF Netflix

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

why are like 90% of simpsons youtube clips in spanish

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Riptor posted:

why are like 90% of simpsons youtube clips in spanish

if there's anything I learned from MUGEN, it's that South Americans love 1) Dragonball and 2) the Simpsons

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Fried Watermelon posted:

There are Futurama seasons on Netflix Canada but they are season 7, 8, 9, and 10 and I'm too lazy to go look them up to if they are the end of the show or even if they are the new Comedy Central episodes

---

Just looked it up on IMDB and they only list Futurama as Seasons 1-7

WTF Netflix

Comedy Central split up the last 2 26-epidsode seasons into 4 13-episode seasons. Also, for some reason the first run had 5 seasons, but was released later as 4 seasons on DVD.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Blind Pineapple posted:

Comedy Central split up the last 2 26-epidsode seasons into 4 13-episode seasons. Also, for some reason the first run had 5 seasons, but was released later as 4 seasons on DVD.

:psyduck:

I never bothered to check on Wikipedia but I was never sure if the original run had 4 or 5 seasons, and I guess I know why that was so unclear now.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I would agree that the original run of Futurama is perfect in that there aren't really any bad episodes, but also I think everyone remembers the trippy sci-fi adventure episodes and less of the sitcom-y ones which make up a good chunk of it and don't hold up quite as well. They sort of feel like filler in retrospect. In the commentaries they mention that Fox wanted there to be a balance between familiarity and crazy sci-fi for a more general audience.

And that's why Rick and Morty is great (so far), it's the best elements of Futurama, amped up, minus the filler.

I dunno, I never really liked Rick and Morty as much as Futurama on the whole. It kind of annoys me how Rick doesn't get much comeuppance through most of the show and it can be really reliant on 'So Randumb!' humor (I hate most of the inter dimensional TV stuff).

A little thing I also like about Futurama is that it actually takes science vaguely seriously and puts in jokes specifically about obscure aspects of science that are often really good when you recognize them("No fair! They changed the result by measuring it!"), a lot of the billboard jokes that are in the background for a second or two are like that and its cool rewatching episodes and noticing this stuff, you get the impression that the creators are thinking of the real life science parts as well as the fiction parts when writing jokes about science fiction which I think is neat. Rick and Morty doesn't really have that.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

khwarezm posted:

I dunno, I never really liked Rick and Morty as much as Futurama on the whole. It kind of annoys me how Rick doesn't get much comeuppance through most of the show and it can be really reliant on 'So Randumb!' humor (I hate most of the inter dimensional TV stuff).
i didn't like the first half of Rick & Morty season 1, thought the second half was good, and liked the second season. by the end of that he shows unusual selflessness, and it comes out of left field because he really is a piece of poo poo

i definitely understand why people wouldn't like a show where the main character doesn't get knocked down a peg- that's why i hate Girls so much. i do think it's funny but not as transcendent as its fans say. it's definitely a lot of homage humor

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Rick and Morty has some deep sadness to it. If it wasn't for the adventure of course it would just be miserable.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

get that OUT of my face posted:

i didn't like the first half of Rick & Morty season 1, thought the second half was good, and liked the second season. by the end of that he shows unusual selflessness, and it comes out of left field because he really is a piece of poo poo

i definitely understand why people wouldn't like a show where the main character doesn't get knocked down a peg- that's why i hate Girls so much. i do think it's funny but not as transcendent as its fans say. it's definitely a lot of homage humor

Yeah it was nice to see that in the last episode, but even still Rick has this air of Mary Sue about him, always on top of the situation, always super witty with razor sharp intellect, going on tons of cool adventures with a devil may care attitude with all of the other events and characters in the show revolving around him, but having that deep emotional pain underneath everything. Its get pretty tiresome after a while. Even in the episode mentioned the predicament they find themselves in isn't even really his fault.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 4, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

venture bros. is the superior homage comedy on Adult Swim anyway

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Rick and Morty has some deep sadness to it. If it wasn't for the adventure of course it would just be miserable.

It's written by miserable, broken human beings.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sassassin posted:

It's written by miserable, broken human beings.

Coooooool :staredog:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

get that OUT of my face posted:

venture bros. is the superior homage comedy on Adult Swim anyway

This is just a fact. It's probably the best animated show on TV.
And that's why it punishes us; so we don't become complacent.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
Venture Bros was good until it eventually climbed entirely inside of its own anus

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

The true deep sadness in this thread belongs to me, upon reading that some people don't like Rick and Morty

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
if you meet somebody in real life who doesnt like rick and morty they probably dont get the humor because they are a nerd and nihilism is beyond them

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Blind Pineapple posted:

Futurama had 4 production seasons which were split into 5 broadcast seasons.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
can confirm after rewatching the jockey episode it has a lot of clever jokes that I did not get as a child . every single Simpsons is on demand on Comcast , I've been watching a lot .

season 10 definitely has a noticeable drop in "realism" and the beginning of jerk rear end homer , but it's mostly watchable . I watched a few of season 27 for comparison and I did laugh a few times , but nothing like the old seasons.

3-9 and you'll be fine , 10-12 is ehhh and after that well you're in the wilderness .

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
that better be a runescape joke

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

Riptor posted:

The true deep sadness in this thread belongs to me, upon reading that some people don't like Rick and Morty

the rick and morty characters are funny but the tv show isn't

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I loving love that episode and i don't care who knows it. It's weird.

canyoneer posted:

This is truth, man. Despite having a stupid, outlandish premise and the cringeworthy jockey elves scene, there are some real funny jokes and gags in that episode besides what was represented in those gifs.
Homer ordering that Bachman Turner Overdrive play Taking Care of Business over and over again, but skipping to the "working overtime" part of the chorus.
The band teacher conceding to Lisa that instead of playing something written by Sousa, maybe they could play something just arranged by Sousa instead?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

It's a slow burn and the lack of comeuppance is totally intended because by the end of season 2 it's apparent just how much really fuckin hates himself

I'd bet the interdimensional cable eps were ordered by the network, kind of like a clip show. The second time they do it they add in a line about how it was fine the first time so it makes me think it wasn't really their choice

This talk makes me think of Moral Orel which I hated at first because it seemed lame but holy poo poo it gets incredibly dark by the last season

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 4, 2017

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

doodlebugs posted:

the rick and morty characters are funny but the tv show isn't

the characters are on the show though

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Piss de Bundy posted:

if you meet somebody in real life who doesnt like rick and morty they probably dont get the humor because they are a nerd and nihilism is beyond them
i just can't stand the acting, the delivery of every single line is grating

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
rick and morty, regular show and futurama in this current day and age are for ill adjusted faggots

Slowpoke
Jul 7, 2007

Also, someone drew a sweet Slowpoke that I wanted to buy for an av but lost the image. I think the thread was people drawing Pokemon? I guess? I don't know. If someone could help find it I would love to buy it. Thanks.
[quote="canyoneer" post="469973640"]
This is truth, man. DesWpite having a stupid, outlandish premise and the cringeworthy jockey elves scene, there are some real funny jokes and gags in that episode besides what was represented in those gifs.
[/quot]

Whoa! The BTO reference was this episode? I can't hate it then. When Homer keeps yelling at them to play TCB the dude is all we already played that, and Homer says WHAT-EVER makes me laugh.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I'd bet the interdimensional cable eps were ordered by the network, kind of like a clip show. The second time they do it they add in a line about how it was fine the first time so it makes me think it wasn't really their choice

This is called the Dan Harmon special

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
what the gently caress the cable episodes of Rick and morty are great , sorry you people don't "get" humor I guess art isn't for everybody :smug:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

khwarezm posted:

A little thing I also like about Futurama is that it actually takes science vaguely seriously and puts in jokes specifically about obscure aspects of science that are often really good when you recognize them("No fair! They changed the result by measuring it!"), a lot of the billboard jokes that are in the background for a second or two are like that and its cool rewatching episodes and noticing this stuff, you get the impression that the creators are thinking of the real life science parts as well as the fiction parts when writing jokes about science fiction which I think is neat. Rick and Morty doesn't really have that.

Iirc there were at least a couple of writers with mathematics backgrounds for Futurama, and the one where they're swapping bodies actually resulted in a published proof of the minimum number of people required to do that or something.

E: eh close enough
http://gizmodo.com/5618502/futurama-writer-invented-a-new-math-theorem-just-to-use-in-the-show

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
lol that those episodes that started to suck had president Clinton

Good god it's so old

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
i still haven't seen the so-called harlem shake part of the simpsons (if that's a thing) and i'm kinda glad.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
early draft rick and morty

:nws:

http://roilandtv.com/the-real-animated-adventures-of-doc-and-mharti/

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
*computers display cgi readouts of a retarded nerd's brain - heuristics resolve half remembered flickers of old Simpsons and Futurama eps*

Yeah Rick and Morty is great. I love that show with the dick who never gets comeuppance, and the kid and there was that guy who belches all the time, and... and there was lame rear end science jokes and... dimensional travel

*doctors shake heads; nothing to be done*

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake
I also don't like Rick because of the fact he is a Mary Sue. Sure he has his "whamma lamma ding dong" thing going on but Morty is the one all the bad stuff happens to.

But then again maybe that's just a reflection of real life

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Animation is worse than its ever been, lol if you're a grown up watching any new cartoons

Like if it's all done by computer then the writing should be really good, right? :smith:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
One Punch Man proves that a show starring a complete Mary Sue can still be good and have tension, because the Mary Sue is the setting, not the protagonist. The actual interesting moments come from the supporting cast, who are the real stars of the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I thought a Mary Sue was a writer self-insert who floats through the universe being awesome at everything, is always proven right and overcomes every problem because they're inherently better than everyone else?

I guess if you take the series as a whole Rick could fit that, but it falls apart when you go episode by episode. (Cronenberg'd planet, season 2 finale and the one with Summer's cute top come to mind.)
I haven't seen much of OPM, so I can't comment there.