Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

rizuhbull posted:

So Lasik has no effect?

At your age it's highly unlikely you'd lose close vision ability.

If someone in your situation was in their mid to late-40s or older there's a much higher chance they'd need reading glasses after LASIK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rizuhbull posted:

So Lasik has no effect?

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Gather round, children, for a very quick and dirty explanation of Eyes, Glasses, and You.

-------------BASICS-------------

Your eye has a lens in it. This lens resides underneath your cornea. This lens focuses light onto your retina. When you have "perfect" vision ("20/20, though that's a bullshit measurement and I'll tell you why), the lens in your eye does what's called accommodation, or shape, to focus this light. When you're looking at something in the distance, the lens needs to get pulled flat a bit. To see up close, it needs to squish down and become thicker (I could have this backwards, I'm a bit tipped right now) Flying saucer versus, well, a taller, fatter flying saucer.

If you have imperfect vision, that means that the lens in your eye can't accommodate enough to focus the light. For some, the back of the eye is too close to the lens, and when looking at things up close, the lens can't squish enough to make the light meet it; but, when you're looking at things further away, that's still within the range of accommodation of your lens. These people are hyperopic* or "far sighted." They can see fine far away, but not up close. For other people, the retina of the eye is too far away for the lens to flatten out enough to focus. These people are said to be mopic*, or "near sighted." They can see up close just fine, but not far away.

Now, whether you have perfect vision, or are my/hyperopic, something will happen starting around age 40. The lens in your eye will start to harden, and lose its accommodation powers. This is called "presbyopia." In general, the "resting point" of the lens is focused out to infinity, and that's why you feel yourself have to "manually" focus on things up close after spacing out at your desk at work, because your eyes were resting and that means you were focused out into the distance.

This hardening/presbyopia will manifest, in somebody with good vision, as losing the ability to read up close. Even people with perfect vision will start struggling around their early thirties at doing close-up manual work. (I'm thirty and even I benefit from wearing some cheap +.75D reading glasses when doing soldering and the like, because it reduces the strain on my eyes with my contact lenses in.) Eventually, and usually around 44-45, people buy their first pair of dedicated reading glasses.

Now, for somebody with imperfect vision, presbyopia will start to add a "boundary" to their natural focus range. If you're farsighted, up until that point, you could wear glasses for reading, but didn't need glasses to drive during the day or at night. But, when presbyopia sets in, you may need night driving glasses, as being out at night opens up the pupil, and would naturally require the lens to focus somewhere due to the bigger aperture. Or, the presbyopia could "set" the lens at an intermediate (say, 10-20 foot) focal point, and you'd need glasses 100% of the time for anything involving distances greater than that. Likewise, if you're near-sighted, your natural focus range was closer. If you were mildly (-2.00 or under) myopic, you might have been able to see things from the tip of your nose out to your fingertips. Presbyopia will push that "close" boundary out from your nose further and further, until you only have one "sharp" focal point a set distance out. Eventually, the presbyopia will "surpass" the geometric ability of the eye, and even a nearsighted person would/will have to wear glasses 100% of the time, even for close work that a few years prior would have been no problem.

-------------LASIK-------------

LASIK is a procedure where they temporarily remove the cornea (the "flap" they talk about), and use a laser to correct the shape of the front of the lens. This will shift the "natural" focal range of the lens from something that was previously geometrically out-of-bounds with your retina, to something that's within range. That's all well and good.

However, LASIK will only really give you 100% benefit** if you do it at a point in your life when the lens in your eye is still flexible. Once your lens loses flexibility, the utility of LASIK is reduced. After presbyopia sets in, you'll have to choose which focal point you want for the surgery. Do you want perfect distance vision, and have to wear glasses to use a computer and to read (usually separate pairs, or a set of intermediate/reading glasses that are bifocals/trifocals/progressives)? Or are you a homebody that wants a focal point a few feet out for computer use and cooking, and instead needs glasses to drive or do other distance vision activities? Or, do you want the worst of both worlds, Monovision, where one eye is distance and one eye is up close and you lose all depth perception and it is also a poo poo procedure (I'm not biased)?

These are your choices, and kind of remove what people traditionally think of (and are advertised) as the main benefits of LASIK.

**LASIK can still benefit somebody like me with a -7.00, or somebody with a lot of astigmatism, by reducing, but not eliminating, the prescription they would otherwise require. This also reduces cost of specialty lenses, and can improve depth perception and clarity, even if you still have to wear contacts or glasses. Even after presbyopia sets in, somebody with a high prescription might choose LASIK for that reason alone.

*"myopia" and "hyperopia" are deceptively self-explanatory, but not in the way most people think. Hyperopia = Hyper (too much/far) + opia (optics), but it doesn't refer to what you can see. It refers to the fact that the focused light in your eye would be beyond, or behind, the retina. Myopia, same thing. Focused light falling short of the retina.

tl;dr Your eye has a "range" of distance it can see at. Farsighted people are generally X feet out to a 300 feet. Nearsighted people are from X feet in (but no further), to their nose. Good vision people are from their nose, out to 300 feet. LASIK can correct the near/farsighted people's "range" to be from their nose out to whatever. However, around age 40, this range will narrow for everybody, until it narrows down to a single point. LASIK can't give the range back, it can only move the point in or out.

Here's a quick picture I whipped up in an advanced photo editor:

LASIK after presbyopia can only shift around that focal zone, but it cannot expand it.

EDIT: I FORGOT ABOUT THE BULLSHIT 20/20 MEASUREMENT.

"20/20" or "20/40" or the like are just referencing your distance vision at 20 feet, that's all. "20/20" means that, at 20 feet, you see what a theoretical person with perfect focusing would see. "20/40" means, at 20 feet, you're seeing poo poo like you were 40 feet away, or less clearly. The scale only goes up to 20/400, so if somebody goes "I see 20/20000" they're talking out of their rear end, or have a lovely optometrist that gave them a probably-bullshit (could be mathematically calculated but literally nobody bothers) number. It's a useless measurement as well, because it doesn't actually account for your true distance or near vision. A moderately farsighted person, or a presbyopic person, might test out to 20/20 or even 20/15, but be poo poo at reading up close, or actually seeing out past 20 feet and couldn't be trusted to drive. It's a stupid measurement and everybody hates it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I have found if you have type 1 diabetes lasik is a no go. I have gone to three different doctors over the past few years and all of them say don't bother since I am diabetic.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks

Anyone recommend a place in the Tampa-to-Naples area?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Jumping into Lasik with my eyes closed (pun intended).

I'm setup for a PRK advanced custom wave front surgery in Calgary, AB 2 weeks from now. Since it looks like for the first 3 days are "do nothing with your eyes", what are things I can do to keep busy besides podcasts/audio books?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Chillyrabbit posted:

I'm setup for a PRK advanced custom wave front surgery in Calgary, AB 2 weeks from now. Since it looks like for the first 3 days are "do nothing with your eyes", what are things I can do to keep busy besides podcasts/audio books?

They should give you a sedative to take immediately following surgery - if I were you, I'd plan to dope myself up for as much of those 3 days as possible. One of those days will (almost certainly) be marked by significant discomfort. That's your cornea starting to regenerate from the PRK, since it is procedurally different from LASIK. First 24 hours, use the shields they give you, take a sedative, black out the room and try to sleep as much as possible. You will be tempted to rub your eyes, don't do it.

When I had PRK done (right eye only, left eye was LASIK), I found myself hugely photophobic at first. It came and went - some days were fine, some days were rough, and there were a handful of times when it seemed to fluctuate throughout the day. That was gone within 30 days, which seems to be fairly typical - some people healed faster, some slower, some had more discomfort than others.

As for activities - try to stay in dark-ish rooms as much as possible. Have friends over, play board games, but nothing that requires you to focus on close objects (no PC, no reading, etc for 3 days). Even TV wasn't really doable for me for the first week - and it's likely your vision will be blurry for some time, with some days better than others similar to the photophobia. I can tell you about my recovery, after-care, etc. if you want, but the biggest thing for activities is just to not depend on having 100% visual acuity, and not to focus on anything close up. And sleep as much as possible!

snowparty
Mar 23, 2008

Chillyrabbit posted:

If prk is anything like lasik you should be fine. Your vision will be mostly restored by then. The biggest thing is making sure you don't rub your eyes (as tempting as it will be) and make sure nothing gets in your eyes. They should give you some kind of protective lenses to cover them but if not you could always wear safety glasses. Just don't do anything too straining for the eyes such as playing video games too long or staring into the sun.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

snowparty posted:

If prk is anything like lasik you should be fine. Your vision will be mostly restored by then. The biggest thing is making sure you don't rub your eyes (as tempting as it will be) and make sure nothing gets in your eyes. They should give you some kind of protective lenses to cover them but if not you could always wear safety glasses. Just don't do anything too straining for the eyes such as playing video games too long or staring into the sun.

PRK is not like LASIK in my experience, and I did both. LASIK was effectively healed overnight and I was 100% fine. PRK took about a month before my vision was corrected, and I had no discomfort in that eye.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, the end result is fantastic for PRK and it is completely worth it. But don't sell it as if it's the same thing as LASIK, it's a different procedure and expectations should be set accordingly.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shooting Blanks posted:

PRK is not like LASIK in my experience, and I did both. LASIK was effectively healed overnight and I was 100% fine. PRK took about a month before my vision was corrected, and I had no discomfort in that eye.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, the end result is fantastic for PRK and it is completely worth it. But don't sell it as if it's the same thing as LASIK, it's a different procedure and expectations should be set accordingly.

Yea, your vision is mostly back to normal in 2-3 days with LASIK and hosed for a couple weeks with PRK. I also had both.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Just checking in with my PRK experience so far.

Did the surgery on thursday, basically did nothing until sunday before I could do simple things not involving reading as everything is a little blurry from the contact lenses they put in to protect my eyes.

Ran out of podcasts on Saturday but luckily I could get the harry potter audio books on youtube playing. My advice prepare more audio stuff than you think you need.

Monday did a check up and everything looks fine so far, next appointment should be to take the lenses out on wednesday.

Right now my vision is approximately if I was wearing my normal contacts, so a big improvement from before and its not done healing. My vision before was -2.75 in my left -4.75 in my right with glasses, contacts were -1.75 left, and -3.50 in my right plus some minor astigmatism.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Expect it to fluctuate for a few weeks. There were days when my vision. Was great, but then a day or two later it would be blurry again. To be fair my uncorrected vision was much worse than yours, but it took about a month before it really stabilized, maybe a bit longer. Glad you got it done, good luck healing up!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Make sure to take your steroids as directed, and make sure they "soak in".

After two weeks out of work (my work involves driving and high voltage outdoor work), we got hit by a hurricane and I worked about a week straight, 3 weeks post-prk. I tried to keep up but was often in a hurry putting in my drops, and ended up having to use the steroid drops for longer than planned due to corneal hazing, which set back my healing time. Took 2-3 months before I was getting really comfortable with my vision, and there seems to be a slow and steady improvement to night vision even up to now.

Anyhow, I'm now 6 months post prk, and pretty dang happy. From -4.00, -5.00 to 20/15 and 20/25 (although my right eye seems worse than that). Reflective or backlit surfaces kinda screw with me, get a double vision effect (road signs, center lane markers, vehicle tail lights). I don't have the halo effect from oncoming headlights that most people describe, though. Daytime vision is great, nighttime is very good except for the issues I described.

At my 6 month visit, doc said my corneas looked great. Scheduled me for a 1.5yr post-op full eye exam, wouldn't surprise me if I'm due for a follow up surgery. And that's fine, I feel like my right eye needs some more help.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Just an update on my PRK experience so far.

Did the Surgery March 9

on the 1 week check up my left contact lens fell out and they took out my right one, eyes still felt really sensitive and weird but it passed. I am now an eye dropper pro, since before I either blink or miss the eye entirely requiring me to use more drops then normal, but now I can do it right.

My vision is basically if I was wearing my contact lenses right now so corrected up to good livable levels (I don't know the exact measurements but its good enough to live with). I haven't done a lot of driving at night or going out but I think the star bursts and halos are normal, not any worse than before I think which was minor star bursting and a minor halo glow which might just be the lights themselves.

March 29
My right eye seems to be a bit worse but it started worse so hopefully it fixes itself in the future.

My experience so far is A++ besides the 3 days of dark agony.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I know this has probably been asked, but how much could I expect to pay for these procedures? Lasik/PRK.

I saw someone who was quite smart, they had an FSA with a grace period, and scheduled their procedure in said grace period, allowing both plans to pay for the whole thing, tax free.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The cost from what I've seen, depends wildly on location and whether it includes a second (touch-up as it's usually called) surgery that you may not need, in the original price. The more they spend on advertising, the higher the price it seems to me.

~$3k seems to be a median, based only on my own reckoning. When I called around before making an appointment, the offices I spoke with were all perfectly willing to quote me over the phone.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I am going to get my laser eyes installed on Thursday afternoon, and I am super excited. $4600 for both eyes together at a place called Eye Lasik Austin. Getting wavefront custom intralasik.

It was the only place that my vision insurance partially pays for and I was skeptical due to never having heard of them, and their Yelp rating is like 2.5 stars. As it turns out, the only negative reviews are from people who didn't like the secretary but see great with no problems. Also, 4 of my coworkers have gone there, and they all loved the poo poo out of it.

So far I have:

A bottle of Advil
More comfortable tinted goggles to sleep in
A big box of preservative-free artificial tears
Two books from Audible to listen to
A girlfriend planning to make dinner that night

For those that have already gone through it, anything else that I should have prepped to make my life for that first day a little easier?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

DelphiAegis posted:

I know this has probably been asked, but how much could I expect to pay for these procedures? Lasik/PRK.

I saw someone who was quite smart, they had an FSA with a grace period, and scheduled their procedure in said grace period, allowing both plans to pay for the whole thing, tax free.

I paid $3900 CAD for a PRK Advance Custom wavefront at Lasik MD Calgary. I got the touch up add-on for $150/eye, no discounts from affiliations. Oddly enough being a member of goodlife fitness would have saved me $100. But I was already signed up with a different gym so no go there.

Obviously costs vary, my prescription via glasses before the surgery was -2.75 Left eye and -3.75 Right so not too terrible.

Doom Rooster posted:

A bottle of Advil
More comfortable tinted goggles to sleep in
A big box of preservative-free artificial tears
Two books from Audible to listen to
A girlfriend planning to make dinner that night

For those that have already gone through it, anything else that I should have prepped to make my life for that first day a little easier?

Lasik or PRK? PRK I would advise more audio media since my experience was basically no looking at anything for 3 days.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Lasik. The doctor said I should be totally good to drive myself to the followup appointment the next morning.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Could someone summarize the differences among the eye surgery techniques? I thought there was a previous post that did just that but I can't find it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

In a nutshell, by a patient and not a doctor:
  • LASIK - a flap is cut in the top layer of the eye, exposing the stroma layer of the cornea. Then a separate laser tool is used to ablate away portions of the cornea to reshape the eye. The flap is then put back in place at the end. LASIK is the cheapest option, with faster recovery times and low discomfort, which makes it basically the default option.
  • PRK - instead of cutting a flap to expose the stroma, the outer layer of the eye is removed (I'm not sure how this is actually done), then the same laser ablation process is used to reshape the eye. The lack of flap cutting allows for surgery to be performed on people with thinner corneas/worse prescriptions, and is more attractive to people who for occupational reasons might expect to take routine impacts to the face (boxers, football players etc) which could dislodge the flap used in LASIK. Longer recovery times, more discomfort, more expensive, but the outcomes are pretty similar.
  • ICL - This is what it was called where I got it (Gimbel Eye Center, Calgary AB) - Implanted Corrective Lenses - seems to be called a few different things. For patients with really bad prescriptions or really thin corneas (me on both counts), there's not enough corneal thickness to do the eye reshaping. So instead an incision is made in the eye, and a physical corrective lens is implanted in the eye, basically just a permanent contact lens. Same as cataract surgery, but your natural lens stay in. It was expensive ($4400CAD/eye, the lenses are custom made for your eyes, ask me about the eye ultrasound I got), but really easy; surgery was 20 minutes per eye, my vision came back just as soon as the assorted eye drops they'd given me wore off. I was given permission to drive the following morning, and there was essentially no discomfort. I had laser iridotomies done about two weeks prior to the lens implantation - they use a laser to make holes to allow fluids to get where they need to once you have an extra lens in your eye - but it sounds like that may not be necessary now, lenses that allowed fluid flow were on the horizon.

Also, as long as we're talking about the local establishments, gently caress LASIK MD in Calgary. They told me I was a candidate for PRK, I waited around a couple months till surgery date, and then only after I came in that morning did they tell me my corneas were too thin and the surgeon thought it was too risky. Later I went to Gimbel Eye Center to get ICLs, and Dr. Gimbel told me I was never even close to being an acceptable candidate for PRK. So I don't blame LASIK MD for making the call, but that really suggests to me that the initial assessment they do is basically all a marketing exercise and that the surgeon doesn't actually look till day of, which I consider extremely unprofessional.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Trip report:

Went in to Eye LASIK Austin yesterday for custom wavefront iLASIK at 12:40pm, got my valium and some drops. Walked into the laser room at 1:40pm, was in the car be driven home at 1:55pm. Got home, 1 medicated drop in each eye, took a nap for a few hours, listened to some TV, opened my eyes at 8:00pm and could see pretty great. One more drop in each eye and went to bed around 11:00pm.

Doctor and assistant were awesome. Very calmly talked me through every step. No pain whatsoever. Up until going to sleep last night, I just had a little bit of scratchy "something in my eye" feeling. Woke up this morning and it was gone. I feel perfect.

As far as vision, I see pretty great. It is taking a fraction of a second to focus on something when I look at it, and it's only super clear in the middle of my direct view. Peripheral vision is a little blurry. I was told to expect this, and that it would go away as my eye goes back to 100% normal shape. They also told me my vision would continue to get clearer over the next few weeks, which is cool, because I am already seeing as good or better than I ever did with glasses.

Already super happy. Total cost was $4750 including consultation, the medicated drops, pre op appointment with my optometrist, everything on the day of the surgery, and today's post-op appointment with my optometrist.

fake edit: I keep reaching for my glasses. Tried to take them off before hopping in the shower. Reached for them on the nightstand when I woke up.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

How much post op treatment are they recommending?

Edit: Consultation, not treatment.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Doom Rooster posted:

Tried to take [my glasses] off before hopping in the shower.

Took me like a month to kick that habit.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Shooting Blanks posted:

How much post op treatment are they recommending?

Edit: Consultation, not treatment.

1 day, 1 week, 1 month, every 6 months for 2 years, yearly thereafter.

PittTheElder posted:

Took me like a month to kick that habit.

GDI. I am up to 9 or 10 attempts to take off/adjust my nonexistent glasses so far today.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

PittTheElder posted:

• LASIK - a flap is cut in the top layer of the eye, exposing the stroma layer of the cornea. Then a separate laser tool is used to ablate away portions of the cornea to reshape the eye. The flap is then put back in place at the end. LASIK is the cheapest option, with faster recovery times and low discomfort, which makes it basically the default option.
  • PRK - instead of cutting a flap to expose the stroma, the outer layer of the eye is removed (I'm not sure how this is actually done), then the same laser ablation process is used to reshape the eye. The lack of flap cutting allows for surgery to be performed on people with thinner corneas/worse prescriptions, and is more attractive to people who for occupational reasons might expect to take routine impacts to the face (boxers, football players etc) which could dislodge the flap used in LASIK. Longer recovery times, more discomfort, more expensive, but the outcomes are pretty similar.
  • ICL - This is what it was called where I got it (Gimbel Eye Center, Calgary AB) - Implanted Corrective Lenses - seems to be called a few different things. For patients with really bad prescriptions or really thin corneas (me on both counts), there's not enough corneal thickness to do the eye reshaping. So instead an incision is made in the eye, and a physical corrective lens is implanted in the eye, basically just a permanent contact lens. Same as cataract surgery, but your natural lens stay in. It was expensive ($4400CAD/eye, the lenses are custom made for your eyes, ask me about the eye ultrasound I got), but really easy; surgery was 20 minutes per eye, my vision came back just as soon as the assorted eye drops they'd given me wore off. I was given permission to drive the following morning, and there was essentially no discomfort. I had laser iridotomies done about two weeks prior to the lens implantation - they use a laser to make holes to allow fluids to get where they need to once you have an extra lens in your eye - but it sounds like that may not be necessary now, lenses that allowed fluid flow were on the horizon.

Also, as long as we're talking about the local establishments, gently caress LASIK MD in Calgary. They told me I was a candidate for PRK, I waited around a couple months till surgery date, and then only after I came in that morning did they tell me my corneas were too thin and the surgeon thought it was too risky. Later I went to Gimbel Eye Center to get ICLs, and Dr. Gimbel told me I was never even close to being an acceptable candidate for PRK. So I don't blame LASIK MD for making the call, but that really suggests to me that the initial assessment they do is basically all a marketing exercise and that the surgeon doesn't actually look till day of, which I consider extremely unprofessional.

Huh wish I knew about that, might have shaped my decision to try out Gimbel, plus I realize their office is like right next to where I live. Curse you effective advertising!

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

PittTheElder posted:

PRK - instead of cutting a flap to expose the stroma, the outer layer of the eye is removed (I'm not sure how this is actually done), then the same laser ablation process is used to reshape the eye.

The surgeon scrubs off with a small electric brush after you get some anesthetic eyedrops. Disconcerting, but painless.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It's kinda shocking just how effective those anaesthetic drops are. Because my lenses had to be installed at a certain angle to counter the astigmatism right, my surgeon pulled out a (one-use sanitary) marker and drew a line along the required angle on my eye. Didn't feel a thing.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

ibntumart posted:

The surgeon scrubs off with a small electric brush after you get some anesthetic eyedrops. Disconcerting, but painless.

Painless at the moment. Wait until later...

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Listening to what is done during the procedure is so cringy.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

I now have enough money saved up to fix my eyes and I really want to do it. I am scared shitless about it though since Murphy's Law has it out for me. I am curious though if ICLs have the same drawbacks as normal contact lenses (barring dry eye/discomfort issues)? For me everything gets darker and halos when I put contacts in and I've never had a contact lens that didn't feel like I had an eyelash in my eye. First time I was forced to night drive was a VERY scary experience. I'm worried I'm gonna spend thousands of dollars and still end up with halos and night vision problems, where with glasses I don't have any problems other than them being coke bottles.

I also seem to be on that borderline for lasik at -8.5-ish diopter so there is worries on that as well. I can't tell if what I'm reading online is just marketing shtick or real cause it seems like everyone has got different answers.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I was running -8.5 and -8.75 diopters if memory serves; in the 8-9 ballpark for sure. I do get night halos, but I think that has more to do with light leaking through my iridotomies (IANOD, do not quote me on that), which may not be required if you wanted to get ICLs done today. The halos were kinda rough for the first week or so, especially when night driving (I basically don't notice them otherwise), but I've adjusted and it's fine now. Despite the fact that I compare them to permanent contact lenses because they're both plastic inserts, they don't feel similar to contacts at all. I can't feel them at all for one thing, and I've never experienced issues with dryness past the first 3 weeks. Certainly my vision is better than my contacts ever were, but I don't know how much of that comes from the benefit of having custom made ICLs rather than disposable daily contacts. I have zero regrets about it.

The biggest complaint I have about my eyes is how generally photo-sensitive I am; if it's sunny and snowy, the brightness is tough to deal with and I get very squinty and my eyes tire right out, but the solution is just "put sunglasses on", which is probably what any eye doctor would tell anyone to do anyway. I'm also unwilling to attribute that entirely to my ICLs, I had transitions glasses for 10 years before I got the surgery done, so maybe my eyes just got used to having perma-sunglasses.

Semi-related: watch this terrifying video of the actual surgery (my surgeon but not my eyes) just for funsies! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQVYQl9XQmc

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 12, 2017

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
That certainly puts me a little at ease. So you still get halos and you just ignore them, or are they gone? Also thank you for giving a price. I couldn't find one for icl's anywhere.

Though it seems like I'm the only person on the internet to have poorer night vision with contacts since I can't find mention of it anywhere.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Still have halos, I ignore 'em, they don't really effect the quality of my vision. The halos actually go away if I squint, but I never really feel the need to do so beyond personal curiousity as to why that is.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

What OTC eye drops did y'alls Drs recommend for long term use? I had it written down somewhere and can't find it.

I don't really have dry eye, but I've discovered that it's really pretty cool to wet my eyes first thing in the morning.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

angryrobots posted:

What OTC eye drops did y'alls Drs recommend for long term use? I had it written down somewhere and can't find it.

I don't really have dry eye, but I've discovered that it's really pretty cool to wet my eyes first thing in the morning.

For me, Refresh Optive Preservative Free. The preservative free part is what's important, there are other brands that will also work. These come in single use containers and are considerably more expensive than regular saline rewetting drops.

This is the specific product:

http://www.refreshbrand.com/Products/optive-sensitive

Edit: At first it was 2-3 times per day per eye. At this point it's on an as-needed basis (though once a day is recommended).

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

angryrobots posted:

I use Systane ultra as I can get them in a bulk pack at costco, $22 CAD for 3x10 mL bottles.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

I got a box of oasis tears. Bought another. They were rediculously expensive at ~$30 for 30 droppers. Ended up picking these up later which were fine. http://www.bjs.com/refresh-plus-eye-drops--1---ct-----1-fl--oz-.product.21822 Stopped needing drops before these ran out.

Bounded Empire
Apr 26, 2010
I just got LASIK two days ago and so far the results are exceeding my expectations. When I went in for my initial pre-screen back in February, they said they could only correct me to about -1 diopter because I had a high prescription (-8.5) and a thinner than average cornea. I tried some contact lenses that were under-prescribed to -1 diopter and after several months of thinking about it, decided it would still be worth it.

I didn't actually meet the surgeon until the day of surgery, and he seemed disappointed that I wasn't getting a full correction. I had my 1 day post-op checkup yesterday and I have 20/20 vision.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I got LASIK about a month ago and it has been unbelievable. My prescription wasn't that bad other than one eye having a bit of an astigmatism. I had it done late Friday afternoon, slept until early Saturday morning, and while it took an hour or two for my eyes to calm down and adjust, I could see really well less than 24 hours after the surgery. Was very sensitive to light but could use a computer. The Monday after I went to my follow-up and had 20/10 vision.

A month later my eyes are pretty well healed up. Not super dry but I try to put in drops once an hour or two and use the gel drops before I go to bed and right when I wake up. I think it's honestly taken my brain longer to adjust than it has taken my eyes to adjust. I make sure to keep sunglasses handy now because sun still seems pretty bright.

The procedure and the recovery were both a breeze. I highly recommend anyone who possible can get LASIK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I want to do Lasik or another surgical correction this year. Could people that have done it 2 5 or 10 years ago share some stories? I'm wary of 100% of post operation stories being positive because of the initial excitement.

• Locked thread