Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

JT Jag posted:

Someone probably complained that the random hunger procs are part of what makes the game hard and everyone should just get good, and the developers mistakenly thought that opinion was shared by the community

I uh, really enjoy the food mechanic actually! The more bullshit the games throws at me the sweeter the victory at the end.

However, since Radiant mode is supposed to be a different style of Darkest Dungeon, I'd be cool with the random hunger procs going away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I just want some kind of warning for when you might become hungry again.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Halser posted:

No AoE means dodge tanking should work well to survive the Shrieker.

Is there any real reason to kill the Shrieker, aside from avoiding 50-70 stress to the party? I haven't tested this new content yet. I'm waiting for the Court DLC to restart.

I don't think it's a reasonable thing to go for. That much dodge +3 actions per turn means you wont' even get a chance to take advantage of -dodge debuffs if you hit and stick them.

I mean it would be interesting but the encounter seems built on preventing you from doing it

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I uh, really enjoy the food mechanic actually! The more bullshit the games throws at me the sweeter the victory at the end.

However, since Radiant mode is supposed to be a different style of Darkest Dungeon, I'd be cool with the random hunger procs going away.

The issue i have with hunger procs is there isn't a set number, the period between them is very random, and you can hit more hunger procs worth of food consumption than you can buy provision for. If anything the recent corridor changes have made it more likely - some dungeons trend 4-6 more than 2-4.

White Coke posted:

I just want some kind of warning for when you might become hungry again.

Some kind of bare minimum corridor spaces would at least help. Personally i feel like there's more procs now than prior to the update, again it might just be confirmation bias, but it is also a probably symptom of increasing the corridor space count on average

Sloober fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 27, 2017

Dancer
May 23, 2011
You don't have to believe hunger doesn't belong in the game to believe current mechanics are bullshit. Right now it's just random and there could be all sorts of quality of life improvements, or more interesting decisions. One I've been thinking of is, every time you get the prompt to eat, there should be a third option to just camp right then and there.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 50: Brigand (and co-commentator) Incursion

Today is a *very special* update as the Base Defense mission is finally underway, and now I can do one of the many dumb gimmicks Chitlin and me were talking about for this LP.

I definitely feel like I got lucky during the fight though. The bomb's an easy thing to work with when you're aware of it, but a lot of the danger comes from the two bandits that always get refilled when one gets removed from the field. The bandits will frequently cause bleed whenever they can to bleed out your heroes, however a mixture of high dodge rate and all the bandages I packed significantly mitigated that threat. I think maybe focusing on stunning the minions rather than killing them contributed to the ease of this fight though, since he didn't scream at my team in response to stun them and repopulate his team. I also feel like Vulf's guard logic is his biggest downfall, but I don't know if this was an AI logic error or just how the boss is designed. Either way, a mix of high PROT from the MaA and -DMG from the Occultist trivialize the boss' heinous damage output.

I will also be providing a "Side B" version of this vid with actual tips & tricks because I'm fully aware this would become a garbage fire. It's an idea I was goofing around with for a good while though and decided to roll with it.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Highwang posted:

I will also be providing a "Side B" version of this vid with actual tips & tricks because I'm fully aware this would become a garbage fire. It's an idea I was goofing around with for a good while though and decided to roll with it.
Thank you, I was going to suggest this if you hadn't already covered it in the post.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Highwang posted:

I will also be providing a "Side B" version of this vid with actual tips & tricks because I'm fully aware this would become a garbage fire.

You're no fun.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
This is the best episode yet. It's like you're already in the Darkest Dungeon.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
The Darkest difficulty should include the FSW crew constantly screaming at how the player's a pussy and boring every time they make any non-stupid decision.

And then probably them screaming at the player for being an idiot ifwhen someone dies.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

This is a good episode, I thoroughly enjoyed it and want more. tia

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I saw both those Vestals die. I don't care if she came back to life!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

#trainwreck #highwang

Tru;ly we have entered the darkest LP dungeon.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
This episode was something magical. :allears:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Hashtag hashtag hashtag HASHTAG hasHTag hAshtAg HAhStAG hash- :barf:

Too many tags, not enough hash browns.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
Another effect of Vvulf's curious obsession with protecting his bodyguards is that it allows the Bounty Hunter to Collect Bounty on him, even though he's in position 3.

And since Vvulf is a human, that means that the BH absolutely wipes the floor with this boss.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Halser posted:

Another effect of Vvulf's curious obsession with protecting his bodyguards is that it allows the Bounty Hunter to Collect Bounty on him, even though he's in position 3.

And since Vvulf is a human, that means that the BH absolutely wipes the floor with this boss.

That sounds actually really appropriate, considering Vvulf probably has a huge bounty. He is a notorious bandit leader after all.

I actually really appreciate the idea that Vvulf leads the bandits because he looks out for them and treats them well and all that, it makes him a great mirror to the Ancestor, who used and abused everyone to get what he wanted.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Vvulf is actually the true hero of Darkest Dungeon, come to put an end to your lineage, burn down the hamlet and salt the earth.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
In Darkest Dungeon 2 you should play as Vvulf.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I want more highwang trying to speak r'lyehian, he's so bad at it, it's magical :allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nalesh posted:

I want more highwang trying to speak r'lyehian, he's so bad at it, it's magical :allears:

Tries reading them, fucks up so badly he starts summoning angels and paladins.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
I wanna hear the narrator do his best "Cthulhu fhtagn!"

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009
A GDC 2016 talk about Darkest Dungeon's design. It has spoilers in the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4ETK1C1KNs&t=5s

hirvox fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 1, 2017

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 51: The #SwineGod

Today we pig out on the Swine God and learn an interesting lesson on knowing when to quit at the cost of one of our heroes.

Also an interesting note: Kickstarter accessories are great at breaking boss mechanics over your knee. For better or worse.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ousire posted:

I wanna hear the narrator do his best "Cthulhu fhtagn!"

What I've realised now is that I really want some Wayne June narrating benign conflict-free games in a sinister manner like here. I wanna hear that kinda ominous overview for something like Animal Crossing or whatever new Harvest Moon-ish game comes out after Stardew Valley.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

RareAcumen posted:

What I've realised now is that I really want some Wayne June narrating benign conflict-free games in a sinister manner like here. I wanna hear that kinda ominous overview for something like Animal Crossing or whatever new Harvest Moon-ish game comes out after Stardew Valley.

The Ominous LP of Animal Crossing on the archive is amazing and I'd love to hear him narrate it, too.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Weird bit of art design I only noticed this episode. The Swine boss holds his chopper (snrk) in his nigh-skeletal hosed-up arm, instead of the beefy muscley one. o.O

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

It's true, I AM a soft boy! :gonk:

I still need to get around to playing this game myself.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Decedant won't live longer though with that new trinket. I guess he got boared.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 4, 2017

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Veloxyll posted:

Decedant won't live longer though. I guess he got boared.

A pig didn't even kill him!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Highwang posted:

A pig didn't even kill him!

does that make you boarnery?

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

RareAcumen posted:

Let's go all out and just make a lovecraftian farming simulator game where you're some hapless peasant trying to eke out a living on the hamlet.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ousire posted:

Let's go all out and just make a lovecraftian farming simulator game where you're some hapless peasant trying to eke out a living on the hamlet.

"Jacob's harvest was going great until one of the turnips came up... wrong. We burned the whole crop. Have to be sure."

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

"As I took the roasted pork out of the oven, I found myself startled by a thick red ichor that had overpowered the meat; the beast had come out undercooked, and inedible, a farcical mockery of the meal I set out to create."

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
I'm slightly mad your friends ended up talking over the boss narration. Hearing more of Wayne June's stellar VO-work is like the chief reward you get out of finishing all the boss fights. :argh:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Scribbleykins posted:

I'm slightly mad your friends ended up talking over the boss narration. Hearing more of Wayne June's stellar VO-work is like the chief reward you get out of finishing all the boss fights. :argh:

yeah, that was annoying. Here's the quote for those interested:

quote:

The great thing I had managed to bring through was brutish and stupid. Moreover, it required prodigious amounts of meat to sustain itself. But this was only a trifling concern. Afterall, I had a village full of it.

https://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/d/d5/Narration_load_warrens_03.ogg

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Man I really need to catch up with this thread. I'm like 20 episodes behind.

Also hello Wang hope it's all going well!

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Scribbleykins posted:

Forgot to add: but their reaction to Decadent's ignoble death made everything Ok again. :v:

Of course, if you want to make your LP truly comprehensive, you can always use the Town's cutscene replay function in a future video!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Hearing everyone chant "Die, die, die, die!" was pretty funny.

Hearing Highwang say "R.I.P. in Peace" made me want to scream at my monitor because R.I.P. already stands for Rest In Peace goddamnit :argh:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Shei-kun posted:

Hearing Highwang say "R.I.P. in Peace" made me want to scream at my monitor because R.I.P. already stands for Rest In Peace goddamnit :argh:

everyone who has ever said "rip in peace" knows what they were doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Shei-kun posted:

ATM machine, PIN number, LCD display...

Fun fact: this is called RAS syndrome. (Which is of course 'redundant acronym syndrome syndrome'.)

• Locked thread