Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

lavaca posted:

We decided to visit Oakland Cemetery, so we ended up at Octane in Grant Park. It more than satisfied the need. I really enjoyed the ham puff from the bakery (a gougere with a slice of ham in the middle), though it was a little odd to have to pay separately for coffee and pastries.

After that we had lunch at Staplehouse best dishes were the duck and the fingerling sweet potatoes), drinks at Ticonderoga Club and cheesesteaks at Fred's. Between those and last night's dinner at Revival, I am already concerned about being able to fit into the clothing I brought with me.

hello person who just did atlanta right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

mindphlux posted:

hello person who just did atlanta right

For out-of-towners? Better than going to the Vortex. So cliche! There's so many 'tourist grade' restaurants in Atlanta (Gladys, Varsity, Vortex, etc...)

bee burger
Nov 4, 2011

Tatsuta Age posted:

Fair enough. It was very tasty, but $35 for a soup and a nigiri lunch special with two teas was more of the issue with me; the food was actually really good! Just more pricy than I like in a place I will probably go twice a week or more.

Maybe I'm just old now and that's the new normal everywhere. Oh well.

Have you tried Raku? It's on Marietta St NW near Georgia Tech. It's operated by a guy who has a good ramen restaurant OTP in Duluth. I ate at Raku a couple times when I was a GT student but I don't remember much about it anymore.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

AFAIK, if you come to Atlanta and don't eat at our Long John Silvers on Moreland, you're doing it wrong.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

I took my parents to the Earl for a drink and some greasy food and they loved it. I think that, along with going to Bagel Palace, was the highlight of their trip.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Angus Brown (Octopus Bar, Lusca, 8 Arm) died. :sadwave:

John Kessler on Facebook posted:

When people in the industry start cooking for themselves and not for some notion of what the public wants, the city finds its voice -- its own kind of poetry-slam sensibility. It is a mood that exists only then and there. "Then" can be big (a year with its new directions in dining) and small (a hour of the evening when appetites are hopeful). Likewise "there" is broad (a throughline that passes from Buford Highway to Buckhead to East Atlanta) and contained (a patio at said hour of the evening on a warm night when something possible is in the air).

Several years ago I sent Jon Horn to review Octopus Bar because I thought my tired, old rear end wouldn't make it to 10 or 11 p.m. for dinner three times. He came back and told me he wanted to give the restaurant four stars; not only was the food great but it felt important and vital. It said something about where Atlanta dining was headed, and he told me to go as soon as possible. Good advice.

Angus got it so right: eat what cooks want and eat it when they want it, and the food will be true. His food -- unruly and thoughtful in equal measure -- is as true as it gets for all of us. Immigrant, hipster, native Southerner -- none of of those labels really matter. Eat, drink, indulge in the here and now.

To a great chef who had so much more to give us.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 4, 2017

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Obviously, we have to take up his stead. Get bros.biz to design you some menu type, keep your own hours, cook/bake from the gut.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kuskus posted:

Obviously, we have to take up his stead. Get bros.biz to design you some menu type, keep your own hours, cook/bake from the gut.

this is sort of how I feel. I am a bit gutted. I ate at 8arm last week, and we were just talking about how his style (or his team's style?) is really something unique in Atlanta. Italian influences, very clear SE asian overtones, but unmistakably southern. it's the kind of unique, self confident vision that Atlanta really needs to keep its dining soul churning.

I'm really tired of finding all the reasons I can't Do A Cooking Thing year after year, and also getting worn out on my dayjob. it's 2017. it's time to Do A Thing. RIP angus brown.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
My friends who own/run Rising Son in Avondale Estates are putting on a special menu tonight in honor of their dear friend Angus: https://www.instagram.com/p/BO5N6BEDtae/. I'll be there tonight.

I didn't know Angus at all. I only spoke to him a few times to say thanks as I was leaving one of his places. But I really enjoy and appreciate people who push boundaries and make interesting food. It is a big creative loss in the city.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Sucks. I live within walking distance of 8ARM but had never hustled over.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Kind of weird news that Craft Izakaya at Krog will reboot as a fast-casual sushi bar with two machines to make sushi. I have a hard time thinking this will work.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

Kind of weird news that Craft Izakaya at Krog will reboot as a fast-casual sushi bar with two machines to make sushi. I have a hard time thinking this will work.

yeahhhhhh, wow.

I guess at least it's a clean pivot. but not one that sounds appealing, at least based on that article.

I have a feeling rents are just too high at KSM to justify evening-only restaurants. I always thought it was strange Cockentrice didn't do anything during the day for such a long time - such a waste of space. I have had the same thought about Craft - had they been selling ramen or something daily, I would have eaten there so many times...

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
It's very weird. I thought their sushi was much better than their non-sushi offerings, so my initial reaction was that they're playing to their strengths. But then I processed that it would be fast-casual sushi made by machines, which is not quite the same. Daytime ramen service probably would have been a decent idea.

At least this will end up with more common seating. For whatever reason, the Krog people initially thought that customers would mostly get food to go from the food stalls. That ended up not being the case, and they scrambled to put in the wood counters and tables that fill the front of the market. They're still short on seating during busy weekend hours. Similarly, I think they under-estimated their parking needs as people didn't just pick up and go.

Everything I saw and read on social media about the Angus Brown memorial and celebration looked great. He was clearly a loved and admired guy. I wish I had eaten his stuff more and talked to him more than to just say thanks a few times.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

First time eating at Kimball House in a couple hours. What are the things I'd be a fool to not try while I was there?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Tatsuta Age posted:

First time eating at Kimball House in a couple hours. What are the things I'd be a fool to not try while I was there?

Oysters and cocktails? I think their menu changes enough that there aren't really regular menu items. I could be wrong about that as I don't go often and haven't been for a while.

Basically just talk to your server. They are helpful and generally happy to discuss stuff. If they know you are into it, sometimes you'll get special treatment or comped items.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Potatoes/Pomme Macaire is the only thing always on the menu that I have to get every time. If they have the spinalis steak and you want steak, it's outstanding. Can't really go wrong at Kimball House.

Chef Justin at The Shed is doing a Julia Child French dinner tonight. Fun stuff; beef wellington, escargot, bouillabaisse, gougeres, etc. I'm heading over there now and looking forward to it.

E: yep, that dinner was 🔥 fire 🔥. There were black truffles and caviar and smuggled unpasteurized French cheeses involved.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 15, 2017

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
Kimball House is probably my favorite restaurant in Atlanta. I'm also a cocktail nerd, so that's probably 40% of the reason.

Also, did anyone see that Halal Guys is opening on Buford Hwy at the end of the month? https://www.facebook.com/TheHalalGuysATLChamblee/

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Landrobot posted:

Kimball House is probably my favorite restaurant in Atlanta. I'm also a cocktail nerd, so that's probably 40% of the reason.

Also, did anyone see that Halal Guys is opening on Buford Hwy at the end of the month? https://www.facebook.com/TheHalalGuysATLChamblee/

Kimball House's cocktail program is crazy good. Every time I go I find a new favorite cocktail, usually involving bourbon/rye and cherry. In the past few months they've had a sour cherry julep and a cherry phosphate, both of which are in my top 10 ever list.

Also their coffee, oysters, desserts, caviar, food... Such a good spot.

Kinda food drunk so gonna take the opportunity to do my every few months advertisement for The Shed. AJC gave it 2/4 stars a couple months ago. If you live anywhere nearby it should be one of your regular spots. It's not the most fine dining place and it's not the cheapest spot but the quality for the price point is really good and they're doing some great barrel aged classic cocktails. Justin's doing some interesting stuff with a young kitchen crew. If you haven't been in a while, give it another shot.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I don't mean to pile on the kimball house love or anything, but I'll just say I went about two weeks ago, ordered a chartreuse tonic (how can I not? chartreuse is maybe my favorite liquor, gin and tonic my favorite cocktail), and summarily declared it the best drink I had ever had in my life. I was pretty sober too, so I think I meant it.

they kill oysters too. but if I'm gonna complain, had lots of misses on food, and it's loving expensive. but I'm not gonna complain, just gimme another chartreuse tonic. and some oysters.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Lawen posted:

Kinda food drunk so gonna take the opportunity to do my every few months advertisement for The Shed. AJC gave it 2/4 stars a couple months ago. If you live anywhere nearby it should be one of your regular spots. It's not the most fine dining place and it's not the cheapest spot but the quality for the price point is really good and they're doing some great barrel aged classic cocktails. Justin's doing some interesting stuff with a young kitchen crew. If you haven't been in a while, give it another shot.

so, this cuts me! I lovvved the shed a year or two ago. Like you said, it's not the most fine dining place - but it was commmmpletely reasonably priced. I could go on a weeknight, and spend $50 on food with fancy wine/cocktail drinks for two, and leave well fed. and I worked it in to my regular rotation. but a change in the kitchen and vision now has it pushing 70-80 for the same type meal, and honestly I'm not going to go spend that on a weeknight - and the food isn't "fine dining" enough to where I wanna spend my weekend foodbux on it outside of weeknights.

I'll go back though, at your encouragement. it has been at least 6 months since I wandered over.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

mindphlux posted:

I don't mean to pile on the kimball house love or anything, but I'll just say I went about two weeks ago, ordered a chartreuse tonic (how can I not? chartreuse is maybe my favorite liquor, gin and tonic my favorite cocktail), and summarily declared it the best drink I had ever had in my life. I was pretty sober too, so I think I meant it.

they kill oysters too. but if I'm gonna complain, had lots of misses on food, and it's loving expensive. but I'm not gonna complain, just gimme another chartreuse tonic. and some oysters.

Yeah, I had that drink and two more:

quote:

chartreuse tonic
chartreuse, genepy, lime gin, malic acid, tonic

new tokyo
scotch, pear brandy, ginger, yuzu, lime

kimball house
gin, cocchi americano, french vermouth, orange bitters

Looking back now, I was kind of all over the place as far as cocktails go. They were all excellent!

A great time was had, we went through two dozen oysters between 3 people (our 4th won't eat em), and I got to try the kimchi stew and clam risotto, both of which were insanely good. Dropped an unfortunate amount of money, but I totally get the hype. Kimball House is the real deal, glad I finally made it.

Oh, and having to pay $10 to park across the street due to construction on the side streets around was pretty annoying too, but that's typical Decatur poo poo.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Oh, and I never reported back after asking about ramen places near midtown, but I made some rounds with coworkers on lunch and now we go to Wagaya about once a week for the spicy red tonkatsu. poo poo is amazing.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

mindphlux posted:

so, this cuts me! I lovvved the shed a year or two ago. Like you said, it's not the most fine dining place - but it was commmmpletely reasonably priced. I could go on a weeknight, and spend $50 on food with fancy wine/cocktail drinks for two, and leave well fed. and I worked it in to my regular rotation. but a change in the kitchen and vision now has it pushing 70-80 for the same type meal, and honestly I'm not going to go spend that on a weeknight - and the food isn't "fine dining" enough to where I wanna spend my weekend foodbux on it outside of weeknights.

I'll go back though, at your encouragement. it has been at least 6 months since I wandered over.

Give it another shot. Justin took over the kitchen just over a year ago and it's his first time running the show; I think it took him a little while to catch his stride, coupled with the need to keep or slowly transition away from stuff previous chefs had used to put it on the map (slider night being the big one). In the last six months though, they've been killing it.

You're right that it can get spendy for a weeknight dinner, especially if you try to do three traditional courses with a few cocktails. What works for us on weeknights is sitting at the bar and making a meal out of the smaller stuff on the menu - one of the "snacks", a couple of either the toasts (his slider replacement) or apps and a veggie side OR a snack and an entree with a veg to share. But even doing that, you're right that adding a couple cocktails or glasses of wine to the mix will push it out of the $50 for two range and into the $70ish range.

We went in last Wednesday and I was feeling carnivore so we shared some salmon rillettes, I had roasted bone marrow and pot roast/ blue cheese poutine apps, T had the pot pie entree and we shared some Brussels sprouts. It was a shitload of good food for $50. If we'd been drinking moderately, it would've been a fairly reasonable weeknight dinner IMO (I drank a bunch of Pappy though so...)

If you give them another try, let me know what you think. And if you see me at the bar (and can recognize me from the one time we hung out years ago :) ) come say hi and let me buy you a chartreuse and/or Fernet.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
For some reason, I think I recall that a long time ago someone (mindphlux?) lamenting a lack of döner kebabs in Atlanta.

Döner kebap sandwiches arrive in Emory Village

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Anybody have Inman Park restaurant week plans? We usually go to Rathbun's Steak one of the nights, but they've decided to be super dicks this year...

1. Price tiers for the menus went from $15/$25/$35 last year for the event to $20/$30/$40; whatever, poo poo happens.
2. In addition to this, to get a steak option, they're charging an extra $15 on top of the $40. For a 6oz filet.
3. You could go to his other restaurant during the same event ($30 menu instead), and get the same filet for a $10 upcharge with a different setting.

Pretty stupid. That said, pretty cool overall the level of quality of the restaurants involved, pricing shenanigans aside.

http://www.inmanparkrestaurantweek.com/restaurants/rathbun%E2%80%99s/

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Tatsuta Age posted:

Anybody have Inman Park restaurant week plans?

My snarky response is that my plan is to avoid it at all costs. The restaurants are jammed, might be offering a limited menu, and the impression I get is that the staff generally don't like it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
yeah, I have been to inman park restaurant week for 3 years between last year and 2010, and it has just loving sucked every goddamn time.

I've finally learned my lesson - never go out near valentines day, don't go to the restaurant week events.

I don't see rathbun's price increase as a dick move. Have you been to rathbuns/ rathbuns steak during non-discount days? I was honestly surprised by the type of people dining - like they were notably on average rude and obnoxious. I witnessed many very vocal complaints about really silly things and requests for well-done steaks. I can only imagine the douchebaggery / lack of classiness compounds itself on restaurant week days.

dunno, I think rathbuns places are generally pretty decent - and there's an established type of folk who want to go to rathbuns, and they'll go - maybe some of them on weekdays, and some of them on discount days - and either way they deserve whatever rathbuns puts out, both price and quality wise.

I love that kevin has done well in life, and I for the most part enjoy the food at his places - but I'll probably not go back to a rathbuns restaurant if I'm paying - except for krog bar, which is more my kinda jam.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

For some reason, I think I recall that a long time ago someone (mindphlux?) lamenting a lack of döner kebabs in Atlanta.

Döner kebap sandwiches arrive in Emory Village

thanks for the heads up! I missed this one.

the bread sounds like a very particular döner variation I came across in germany, excited to give it a try. I'll be sure to raise my pinky extra extra high and post back my most in-depth critiques and/or praise to the thread. :cowboy:

PS - I think I saw you the other week at KSM and completely blanked on your irl name (Rick, right?), and pussed out from saying hey when I very well shoulda said hey. I have only myself to blame for my poo poo memory, but it also made me think - we should organize another atl gws get-together to say hey. all the meetups we've had I've really enjoyed, for one!

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

PS - I think I saw you the other week at KSM and completely blanked on your irl name (Rick, right?), and pussed out from saying hey when I very well shoulda said hey. I have only myself to blame for my poo poo memory, but it also made me think - we should organize another atl gws get-together to say hey. all the meetups we've had I've really enjoyed, for one!

Yes, I'm Rick and was at KSM Thursday lunch and Sunday brunch.

The previous meetups we've had were fun. I'd be up for another. I'd be happy to organize one when The Canteen opens as the people who own and run it are my friends.I think they are targeting opening the first week of May.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

venutolo posted:

Yes, I'm Rick and was at KSM Thursday lunch and Sunday brunch.

The previous meetups we've had were fun. I'd be up for another. I'd be happy to organize one when The Canteen opens as the people who own and run it are my friends.I think they are targeting opening the first week of May.

I would be down with that.

On another note, I tried the Smoke + Duck Sauce in Decatur the other day. It is an Asian BBQ fusion place. The pulled pork was decent, but the sides let me down a bit. I did like their house made duck sauce though, but their spicy sauce was, well, too sweet. May try their mustard sauce next time.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Is Nori Nori as potentially majestic as their little Atlanta Eats spot from a little while back indicates, particularly to folks far to the south of Atlanta where non "Generic Hibachi" Asian food is about all that's around? http://www.norinori.com/

For that much per person, especially if nobody is bothering with booze, it would seem totally worth an adventure up north?

greg_graffin
Dec 10, 2004

he died for your sins!!

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Is Nori Nori as potentially majestic as their little Atlanta Eats spot from a little while back indicates, particularly to folks far to the south of Atlanta where non "Generic Hibachi" Asian food is about all that's around? http://www.norinori.com/

For that much per person, especially if nobody is bothering with booze, it would seem totally worth an adventure up north?
I went specifically for their sushi and didn't try any of their other offerings. It's a good place to go and try lots of different sushi for a reasonable price. When I went they had uni, but this was several years ago. I recommend going for dinner. I went for lunch one time and they had much less variety of sushi and the quality was noticeably worse. It was probably the best "buffet sushi" I've had, for whatever that's worth.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Neat---dinner would be the most likely venue by far, though I can barely picture the kind of insane crowd that place could get on a given Friday night given how many tables they've apparently got. The hot menu/desserts intrigue me at least as much as the sushi, so as perhaps a first vehicle to finally try sushi outright it just might do the trick...

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I went to Jia in Ponce City last night and had a really good dinner. I didn't realize it was basically an in-town outpost of Tasty China, same family runs it and the receipts say TASTY CHINA JIA. Masterpiece is probably better but gently caress driving to Duluth for Szechuan when I can get Gu's and now Jia delivered. I still miss Peter Cheng's/Tasty China 2 though.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Lawen posted:

I went to Jia in Ponce City last night and had a really good dinner. I didn't realize it was basically an in-town outpost of Tasty China, same family runs it and the receipts say TASTY CHINA JIA. Masterpiece is probably better but gently caress driving to Duluth for Szechuan when I can get Gu's and now Jia delivered. I still miss Peter Cheng's/Tasty China 2 though.

I hate the Jia space and the service has been lackluster, but I dig that I can get that kind of food much closer to home than BuHi.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
yeah, jia is an enigma. all the food I've had has been really good, unique / buford highway quality interesting dishes, and I haven't minded the service, but my gal tell it and everything is burning and horrible and we shouldn't ever go.

I get both sides of the argument - 3.5/5 stars, going back soon.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i havent had any meals at PCM that have been worth mentioning but i will say the shrimp po boy at the w h stiles fish camp place is good as gently caress. everywhere else there seems pretty expensive for what it is (even moreso than most trendy atl spots)

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Lawen posted:

I used to live 3 minutes from Tasty China 1. I have tried 2 and Jia as well. The service has always been terrible at all of them, but I literally don't care because the food is so good.

They have never had any concept of the idea that appetizers should come out before the main course, etc. I also once had a 10 minute argument at TC1 trying to get hot tea during the summer because "we don't have hot water." :D

Still my favorite Chinese, tho.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I didn't much like the Jia space either, maybe would've been better to sit outside. Service was a little awkward due to language barrier but our waiter was cool, made some good suggestions, and bought us a shot of their rice moonshine stuff (baijoe?) to try. We circumvented the mains before appetizers problem by ordering a bunch of apps and stopping there until we got them, then ordering everything else.

I'm not the biggest fan of PCM generally and when I do go I usually don't want a sit down meal and stick with an HF burger or a Super Pan cuban or a naan wrap from Bottiwalla. But I'm stoked about Jia delivery from Doordash/Postmates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I dont get the rage about el super pan. it's very avg esp for the price. h and f is ok but the main restaurant is better as is fred's at krog market