Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Scholtz posted:

Is there any sort of NG+ in this? It's pretty ridiculous to even think about an ending that's several dozens of hours away for me, but I'm curious just because I know I'll replay this once I finally get a Switch.

A hard mode is future DLC so I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I finally entered my first real dungeon. It's jarring because it distinctly feels like a Zelda game for the first time. That said, in terms of design it feels less like a classic dungeon than it does a much bigger shrine with extra enemies scattered about.

I'm referring to the desert one btw.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Got to my first major mini-boss type dude, and this is some Dark Souls type insta-kill poo poo

Mini-boss spoiler The shock arrow centaur dude up top of Zora's Domain. 2000 health

Playing on a train, so I need to get home and get in the Zen state of mind to take this oompa loompa down :getin:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

snoremac posted:

A hard mode is future DLC so I doubt it.

Oh that's even better, actually. Won't need to savescum to get it on the Switch.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Where do I find the DLC chest?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Want to see an Ironman run of this at one point

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

So the Wii U version performance is basically exactly the same as the Switch, right?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

So I signed up to buy the house in the second town, are there houses to buy in every town or just in Hetsu Hateno?

E: wrong h-word.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 4, 2017

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
Is there a way to get Heart Containers without wasting Shrine orbs on them? Also do I enter my dlc code on the Wii U somewhere, or inside the game somewhere?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Aquasnake posted:

Is there a way to get Heart Containers without wasting Shrine orbs on them? Also do I enter my dlc code on the Wii U somewhere, or inside the game somewhere?

Not sure about the former, but the latter you enter in the Eshop.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Aquasnake posted:

You get heart containers for purifying the 4 divine beasts as well. I don't think they're anywhere else.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Aquasnake posted:

Haven't found any. Maybe there's one after each major dungeon but since there's not many of those and they're very far apart you should just get the containers. You can respec fairly early on anyways, for a minimal cost (20 rupees per point spent)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

snoremac posted:

So uh anyone else get the spa plan :stare:

By the sounds of it, payment was made in exchange for silence on you being a Voe :wiggle:.

Also out in the Gerudo Desert the Yiga cave can go right to hell. Trying to sneak through, bananas and all, is a pain in the rear end. Yes, I found the banana stash.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Neddy Seagoon posted:

By the sounds of it, payment was made in exchange for silence on you being a Voe :wiggle:.

Also out in the Gerudo Desert the Yiga cave can go right to hell. Trying to sneak through, bananas and all, is a pain in the rear end. Yes, I found the banana stash.

Do you have the full Shiekah suit or sneak potions? Those make it super trivial.

Also something I learned about that cave is you can climb almost every wall and are invisible if you're even a little off the ground.

Worst part of the desert is no horse. Seal surfing is amazing but the rental/wild ones gently caress off way too quickly and then you have to trudge back.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Infinitum posted:

Got to my first major mini-boss type dude, and this is some Dark Souls type insta-kill poo poo

Mini-boss spoiler The shock arrow centaur dude up top of Zora's Domain. 2000 health

Playing on a train, so I need to get home and get in the Zen state of mind to take this oompa loompa down :getin:

This dude was way too strong for me, and yeah the Dark Souls vibes are strong there. After getting melted by him like 6 times I just snuck around his area and stole his arrows.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I wondered why I kept getting nuked in lightning storms. Was trying to get flat and away from stuff, like irl. Apparently the trick is to go stand next to a tree or under something. The one in the old military training camp with the massive skull on top of the tower makes for some impressive sounds.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ignimbrite posted:

I wondered why I kept getting nuked in lightning storms. Was trying to get flat and away from stuff, like irl. Apparently the trick is to go stand next to a tree or under something. The one in the old military training camp with the massive skull on top of the tower makes for some impressive sounds.

You have something with metal in it equipped. It should be giving you little warning flickers of electricity around Link's sides.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ignimbrite posted:

Don't use metal weaponry in a lightning storm. Check your inventory when you're in one :ssh:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What ability controls am I missing?

Scope and Pins
Shield Surf
Charged Attacks
???
Backflip
Side Hop
Perfect Guard
???

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
These octodudes that shoot rocks at you are ruining every expedition to a water's edge. Is there a trick to kill 'em? Arrows and reflecting their rocks don't work.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wildtortilla posted:

These octodudes that shoot rocks at you are ruining every expedition to a water's edge. Is there a trick to kill 'em? Arrows and reflecting their rocks don't work.

Arrows work fine on them.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Reflecting their rocks back works, you just have to be close enough that the rock gets back to them in time. Alternatively, parry the rocks (it instantly kills them)

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You have something with metal in it equipped. It should be giving you little warning flickers of electricity around Link's sides.

Infinitum posted:

Don't use metal weaponry in a lightning storm. Check your inventory when you're in one :ssh:

:getin: This game

I wondered if that was part of it or if the sparking was the "get ready, you're about to be hosed if you don't find cover" warning but I never thought to try unequipping my metal stuff

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 4, 2017

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

So the Wii U version performance is basically exactly the same as the Switch, right?

Literally 1:1 in every way. Same graphics, same options, same framerate. They look exactly the same. Only difference is the Switch docked version runs at 900p ( but apparently has more framerate issues then the WiiU version when in this mode so. ).

The Switch undocked version runs at 720p and has no framerate issues! But uh.

Not really a looker at that point.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

RCarr posted:

Where do I find the DLC chest?
The t-shirt? It's on top of a wall just next to the shrine in the Eastern Abbey ruins.

There's supposed to be a couple of others with rare drops as well, I think, but I've no idea which ones they are.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Rookersh posted:

Literally 1:1 in every way. Same graphics, same options, same framerate. They look exactly the same. Only difference is the Switch docked version runs at 900p ( but apparently has more framerate issues then the WiiU version when in this mode so. ).

Good to know. Guess I'll pick up a Wii U copy when/if I can.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
There's a very strong chance I'm going to turn BoTW into the fabled good snowboarding game I've been looking for since SSX3 came out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I feel like there's no way this game could possibly be as mind-destroyingly incredible as you're all saying, but you're getting me mega-hyped anyway :ohdear:

Rookersh posted:

In the same video, when they has the portable version as the whole frame instead of half of the video, it looked fine. I have no idea what happened in that part to make the contrast go nuts like that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress the view from the top of Wasteland Tower.

e: jesus christ gerudo is so much bigger than i expected. this game is so gigantic and breathtaking

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 4, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Wildtortilla posted:

I've been throwing remote bombs at them.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I found a giant horse. It has infinite stamina and 5 stars of strength but only 2 stars of speed. Still, it's a GIANT HORSE. So now it's gotta be one of my 5 registered horses forever.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm extremely early on, but one complaint I would have about the story is this : I kinda really like Ganondorf / Ganon as a character. Games like Wind Waker did a good job giving him characterization when characterization didn't really exist in Zelda. Even in OoT, TP, and even Hyrule Warriors Ganon may not have been the deepest character but he still had a cool presence and he was an active participant in the story. In BotW, if Ganon really is only some generic evil beast with no personality who just hangs around the castle then that would be a little bit of a letdown, especially since this game is trying to push story and characters a lot more than usual.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm extremely early on, but one complaint I would have about the story is this : I kinda really like Ganondorf / Ganon as a character. Games like Wind Waker did a good job giving him characterization when characterization didn't really exist in Zelda. Even in OoT, TP, and even Hyrule Warriors Ganon may not have been the deepest character but he still had a cool presence and he was an active participant in the story. In BotW, if Ganon really is only some generic evil beast with no personality who just hangs around the castle then that would be a little bit of a letdown, especially since this game is trying to push story and characters a lot more than usual.

I haven't gone anywhere near the castle, or even the dungeons...but I have a suspicion that there's gonna be more to Ganon than just "he's a sentient natural disaster" or whatever. I feel like that's gonna be the mysterious backstory that Link forgot while sleeping for 100 years.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

So I bought the house. It doesn't have a whole lot in it at first but it does come with a display rack to mount a weapon... If you're into that. You can then pay MORE money to Bolson to get such things as an actual door. Or lights. I have no idea what the purpose of this whole thing is.

But it does seem to progress a quest or another (after you buy the house he sends one of his workers north to the Zora zone apparently)

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
I'm driving myself insane trying to solve the riddle for the Ceremonial Song shrine quest in Zora's Domain. Anybody figured that out?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Holy poo poo this game. I'm taking my time looking at everything and I'm not off the first plateau even. I'm still at the temple of time, but I did manage to drown once because I wasn't watching the stamina meter.

I'm gonna have like 900 hours in this game because there is so much to just look at.

BOTW best walking simulator of all time.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
This game is so incredible because I want to come here and say, "holy poo poo have you seen x y and Z?!" But then I stop myself because it'll be so much better to find this poo poo without expecting it. I love feeling clever and I love all the weird poo poo that happens across my path that I don't know how to explain.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Harrow posted:

Do you want the Switch for anything other than Zelda for the next, oh, six months?

If yes, try to get your hands on a Switch. If no, jump in on the Wii U.

(Believe me, I'm having the same dilemma, right down to the "keep playing Horizon" part)

This is from pages ago, but what game are we talking about with "Horizon"?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Horizon zero dawn for PS4

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The density of cool and awesome poo poo to do / find in this game, given the size of the world, is off the chain insane. I'd really thought the open world formula was overdone and getting boring, based on recent releases, and Nintendo has come and kicked the door down here.

Goddamn. GODDAMN. :magical:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Horizon zero dawn for PS4

I don't have a PS4. :(

I was hoping it was some cool Wii U poo poo to stop me from buying a switch.