Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LoSesMC
Feb 13, 2009
Google Play Music finally moved navigation to a tab bar at the bottom of the screen! I was getting tired of having to swipe to get to Library/Playlists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Pocket casts vs overcast?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

GoldfishStew posted:

Pocket casts vs overcast?

Considering I've already paid for Overcast twice (initial release IAP, and then "donation") I don't want to pay again as a subscription. I've owned Pocket Cast prior to Overcast, and they're still improving it. They both have silence skip and volume boost. So I'm gonna say go for the one that doesn't constantly change it's revenue scheme and continually pushes new updates.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The new Overcast update hosed up app refreshing or whatever it is that keeps an app alive in the background. It gets removed from the ram ridiculously fast now so if you wanna resume playing after a while, you have to reopen the app.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I paid for Overcast early early on, and thought I was grandfathered into having the most features. Is that not the case?

Pocketcast reviews say I cant look at an individual podcast ep without subbing tho?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

virinvictus posted:

Considering I've already paid for Overcast twice (initial release IAP, and then "donation") I don't want to pay again as a subscription. I've owned Pocket Cast prior to Overcast, and they're still improving it. They both have silence skip and volume boost. So I'm gonna say go for the one that doesn't constantly change it's revenue scheme and continually pushes new updates.

Why would you pay the subscription? All it does is let you upload stuff now. If you bought it as IAP you still get to remove ads and dark mode seems to be working, too.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Yeah, that's what confused me, too. If you paid the intital early days fee and don't need to upload stuff what's the diff.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

I just find Pocket Casts workflow to make much more sense than Overcast's (and I like that it syncs to a web player and an Android app, since I ping-pong between a Pixel and an iPhone as my OCD requires). I like being able to quickly and easily add new Podcast episodes to "Play Next" and shuffle that Play Next playlist around easily.

Plus the font in Overcast is just fuckin' dreadful, and you can only get the nicer (System) font in dark mode, which I don't want and yes this all totally makes sense somehow.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

smr posted:

(Since I ping-pong between a Pixel and an iPhone as my OCD requires)

:greencube:

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I just cant believe I may be buying a second podcast app.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
If it helps, Overcast also has a web player at overcast.fm which syncs up to your position in episodes.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

smr posted:

I ping-pong between a Pixel and an iPhone as my OCD requires

I just ordered a Pixel XL the other day and I'm heavily considering just hanging on to my 7 Plus just because. Good to know I already have a good podcast app suggestion.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just started (trying) to get more into podcasts lately, just listening to them instead of music at work and so on. The only podcast app I ever tried was Overcast and it worked fine for me cause I had no expectations of what was good or not and I read his old blog posts about all the poo poo he did to make Smart Speed and speed multiplying work. IIRC the default API lies when it says 120% speed or whatever so he wrote his own.

This new 3.0 update though is just really god drat terrible. 2 taps to play sucks but what surprises me is that I can't swipe to delete an episode. I mean this is a pretty standard gesture now right? Swipe to delete? I can swipe to delete a subscription but I can't swipe to delete an episode even. His blog about the 3.0 update goes into how he wanted to put all the features up front and ready to make it easier and I just don't think he's done that. It's also pretty ugly imo.

Castro looks nice though. I really like the idea of having an "inbox" of poo poo that I could potentially listen to. It would match my rss/Reeder workflow: I subscribe to a smattering of RSS feeds and I kinda just scroll through the new posts a few tines a day/week and swipe to star the ones I'm interested in reading and then mark the rest as read. My "queue" is my favorites tab and I unfavorite them as I go.

How does Castro deal with playback speed? Does it have a "smart speed" setting like Overcast? Web playback?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

GoldfishStew posted:

I paid for Overcast early early on, and thought I was grandfathered into having the most features. Is that not the case?

Pocketcast reviews say I cant look at an individual podcast ep without subbing tho?

You should be grandfathered. Check by restoring the purchase.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You should be grandfathered. Check by restoring the purchase.

This never worked for me and I just assumed it didn't grandfather me. I'll have to try again.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

vikingstrike posted:

This never worked for me and I just assumed it didn't grandfather me. I'll have to try again.

I had installed it on my 7 and assumed I had to pay again. Turns out I am grandfathered for the ads and the toggle was on.

I still prefer that Pocket Casts doesn't change their pay structure every third week.

Consistency matters more to me.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Am I the only one who just needs their podcast app to play podcasts.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I figure I can throw Marco :10bux: a year

withak posted:

I mean if it can save me that much of my time while being easy to use and nice to look at…

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I'd also like my podcast app to track my hydration levels.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

101 posted:

I figure I can throw Marco :10bux: a year

I mean if it can save me that much of my time while being easy to use and nice to look at…

But then I have to find more podcasts or else I will run out before my walk to work is over.

Can anyone recommend a good podcast app with a search box, a subscribe button, and a play button?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

withak posted:

That's why I use Pocket Casts. It does what it's supposed to do plus the UI is leagues better than the stock app.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

withak posted:

But then I have to find more podcasts or else I will run out before my walk to work is over.

Can anyone recommend a good podcast app with a search box, a subscribe button, and a play button?

how do you feel about pressing twice to delete?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Dunno why he didn't keep swipe as well.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
he just added it back so

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Swipe to delete is back!!! In overcast

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Overcast is the best again

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Inacceptable.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

As someone who once blasted a podcast at full volume into an office when trying to press the 'i' -- press twice to play is amazing, cool and good.
No swipe to delete was bad but they fixed it.

This is my podcast app views post part 2.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just lol if you didn't pay for Overcast 1.0 and grandfather that into the present day bliss of 3.0.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

How do you use Overcast app on Applewatch? I understand if this is wrong thread but i also figure my chances of finding someone with same set up is narrow.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Stupid Weather Channel app develops a few hundred MB cache with no way to flush.

Tried the top free NOAA app and Weatherbug but decided on Wunderground.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Stupid Weather Channel app develops a few hundred MB cache with no way to flush.

Tried the top free NOAA app and Weatherbug but decided on Wunderground.

Wunderground will also get pretty bloated (it's owned by the Weather Channel). I switched to Fresh Air, which stays a lot smaller.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

dark sky!!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

baram. posted:

dark sky!!
Dark Sky is loving trash and I didn't even pay for it.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

weather line!!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

It's the best weather app.

Tell us what esoteric use case you insist on that it doesn't cover.
:allears:

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Khablam posted:

It's the best weather app.

Tell us what esoteric use case you insist on that it doesn't cover.
:allears:

Living in a country where it's not supported :(

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Living in a country where it's not supported :(

Yeah that's valid.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Josh Lyman posted:

Dark Sky's watch app has been loving up left and right for me lately. Probably since the last time I revved my watch os. Not sure what's up with that.

edit: still a better weather service than the one Day One uses that told me things were "partly cloudy" while we were being hit by a literal hurricane.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like BeWeather