Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Ok, about 22 minutes into windlands and I needed a break. People weren't kidding about having to get used to non-teleport movement in VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Any thoughts on I Expect You To Die?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

UploadVR had a youtube interview with an LG upper management guy who made it sound like that headset is a still a pretty early prototype. They're going to push the screen and size way more than what they've got now.

I'm tempted to get another touch instead of just a camera, backup controllers for 40$ more.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Ciaphas posted:

I love it, has a fun vibe. Speaking of I need to finish that...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ciaphas posted:

It's kind of short but very good.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

I should have kept my mouth shut about Job Simulator being overrated and having no gameplay on the Vive reddit forum. I got downvoted so hard that now I have a low karma account that can't post new threads.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sounds like they did you a favor.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I think Job Simulator is an amazing bundle game and I hate that it didn't come with my Vive. But it's not a game I wanna spend more than a few bucks on since it has no replay value and is fairly short. The amount of things to discover really shows a great side of VR though.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Great game for playing with friends or demonstrating VR. One player participates and the rest sit on the couch and shout ideas on what to mess around with.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

It's a neat thing to put people who are new to VR into for a few minutes to get a feel for things before moving to something more complex. It makes for a good pack-in, but I wouldn't pay money for it. Particularly not on the Oculus side where First Contact basically serves the same purpose.

E: I find the actual game part of it to be rather uninteresting once the novelty wears off, and while I appreciate the aesthetic they're going for, the humor ends up falling flat for me most of the time.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Mar 3, 2017

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Is there any alternative source for the wide nose rest? I don't need 3, and I definitely need none for the cheap price of € 36,48 (Shipping is the same as for the Vive)

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Robo Recall solves the question of "What reload system works best in an action game?" by giving you infinite new york reloads so you can just pull out an endless stream of guns like some sort of ballistic magician. Defeat enemies by throwing guns at them!

Easily one of the most fun and polished shooters currently out. I love how good everything feels and being able to tear robots apart by hand is brutal. I especially like holding them down on the floor and shooting them in the face point blank oh god I'm a horrible person please stop me

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, the Dead and Buried reload style I don't love because without the weight transfer of a barrel it's tough to know if you've actually done it correctly. This is foolproof.

Still having framerate issues. I wonder if it's CPU heavy, I've got a 1070 but also only an old i7 3770.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Songbearer posted:

Robo Recall solves the question of "What reload system works best in an action game?" by giving you infinite new york reloads so you can just pull out an endless stream of guns like some sort of ballistic magician. Defeat enemies by throwing guns at them!

Easily one of the most fun and polished shooters currently out. I love how good everything feels and being able to tear robots apart by hand is brutal. I especially like holding them down on the floor and shooting them in the face point blank oh god I'm a horrible person please stop me

Fun fact: throwing guns at enemies will also reload them! Bouncing an empty shotgun off the dome of a bot, grabbing it out of the air, and promptly shooting the bot in the face as it's getting up is very satisfying.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Is there a way to test out the mechanics in Pavlov without bots?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Songbearer posted:

It was absolutely brilliant giving you back-mounted heavy weapons in addition to hip-holster pistols.

"Let me just reach over my shoulder... say hello to my little friends!"

Also did you know that throwing a gun at any enemy reloads it? At early levels, some robots have weapons you don't have yet with blinged-out accessories. You can rip a robots arm off, take his gun, and go around the level bouncing that same gun off everyone's face to keep using it.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

SEKCobra posted:

Is there any alternative source for the wide nose rest? I don't need 3, and I definitely need none for the cheap price of € 36,48 (Shipping is the same as for the Vive)

How is your vive controller doing? The haptics died on one of my controllers and the touchpad button doesn't click in the 2 to 3 o clock position anymore so I am dealing with Vive to RMA it.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
LG vr articles up. Sounds improved in most ways over Rift/Vive but not by much (except price). Slightly crisper, brighter image, slightly larger fov, maybe less lens blur etc. End of 2017 release though.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

iceaim posted:

How is your vive controller doing? The haptics died on one of my controllers and the touchpad button doesn't click in the 2 to 3 o clock position anymore so I am dealing with Vive to RMA it.

Just a scratch of permanent damage, but we'll see after this weekend.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Tested vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re7QgkoQ5Rc

Boy would I love a pop-up feature on the Rift.

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Robo Recall is free to all Vive and Rift users via the Epic games launcher. Just click Modding and then click Robo Recall. Instructions here. I knew their model was a bit weird on Oculus Home.

I think I read you only get the first level this way, any other levels boot you back to the start.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
When someone makes a mod to fix teleport facing in robo recall, please post it here immediately.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Bhodi posted:

When someone makes a mod to fix teleport facing in robo recall, please post it here immediately.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5x460g/robo_recall_360_teleportation_mod_now_available/

EDIT: By using mods, you don't make any progression in the game. It also disables the leaderboard. Just FYI.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Songbearer posted:

Borderlands VR When?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Borderlands VR When?

From Other Suns seems to give off a major borderlands vibe. Really looking forward to that one.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So the Microsoft headsets with inside out tracking, have a 90hz 1440x1440 panel per eye

By the time Christmas rolls around, Vive and Rift will be the lowest resolution displays on the market at 1080x1200.

I guess the big difference is that they're using LCD rather than OLED. Which is odd, as OLED panels are cheaper than LCD at that size.

I'm curious if the extra ~400x200 resolution will allow for reading text more regularly, especially with super sampling.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

LCD kinda makes sense when you consider that OLED continues to have issues with black crushing/smearing. When the alternative is to lose a bit of contrast by always keeping the pixels just a little bit lit up (as HTC/Valve and Oculus chose to do), or to lose a maybe a bit more contrast while saving a bunch of money elsewhere (like optics) by switching to LCD, you can see why they might choose to go with LCD.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Don't LCDs have terrible response times which makes them bad for VR? I don't think you can even do low persistence with LCDs.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
The lg guy on tested said they might go for higher res panels than the ones at GDC. It surely cant be that long, now the 1080tis on its way, before 1080/1440p per eye is feasible

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 5, 2017

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Also worth mentioning that the panels were going in to developer units, it's possible that they're doing LCD now, and will switch to OLED if they can meet a specific price/quality point for the consumer version. Although low latency LCD is available and they have not once mentioned OLED in their announcements.

I'm curious to see what a consumer $300 VR headset looks like come November. The reviews didn't really say anything negative, just that they weren't OLED. My standards bar for inside out tracking + $300 headset is much lower than $700 lighthouse tracking with wands.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I would much rather have wireless than higher resolution.

Both would be nice too, of course.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It depends on the wireless battery time. Gotta be 3 hours or more before I even consider it viable and until they breach that time I'll always take higher resolutions. Isn't the TPCast wireless Vive attachment rated at 2.5 hours? It's close enough for me but not at that price.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I would think they would be able to get several hours out of a battery. The headset itself won't be doing any graphics stuff, it just displays what is being streamed from the computer.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

As long as you can hotswap the battery indefinitely it could last an hour for all I care.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Just finished Dead Secret. I liked it. The addition of VR elevated it a bit above a standard point and click and it didn't rely on moon logic for the puzzles. It is a bit short though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The wireless units are all USB-C PD (power delivery) as power delivery gives them the wattage needed across an open standard; USB-C PD batteries are widely available, Anker makes some fantastic ones for under $60 that ought to power any wireless headset for 3-5 hours, if not more. This was a solved product before wireless VR was a thing.

Higher resolution is important for anyone who needs to view text for long periods of time. As Unreal and Unity get in-VR dev environments, being able to dev your games full time in VR is going to be important, not to mention office productivity and whatever else uses small to medium font rendering (web browsing, writing code, social media, etc). Rock solid 90hz is the first bar to clear; the second bar is sharp enough image that you can comfortably read text without a crutch. It's sounding like somewhere between 1440p and 2K is the sweet spot for that.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Played a while further into Solus Project and good lord does that game get cree-eeepy.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
So I finally tried a couple matches in Onward yesterday. Holy. poo poo. It genuinely felt like (a prototype for) the 'killer app' to me. There's such a rush involved - in every single match I had at least one 'holy poo poo' moment. Even just the act of coordinating tactical moves with team mates feels fun and great too. Granted I played a bit of OFP/ARMA back in the day so I already liked my milsims but yeah. The people who do a lot of paintballing IRL would go bananas if they knew this existed.

GlyphGryph posted:

I would much rather have wireless than higher resolution.
Someone else said the same thing upthread, but I'm actually on the other side. To me a step up in resolution enables more functionality, but wireless doesn't.
So with greater resolution the HMD could in theory be used as a solution for everything you could do on a PC - but with whatever productivity enhancements you can have through using a virtual environment (for the research part of my with, I would really love a virtual Windows work environment where I can position multiple legal docs around me in space and manipulate them at will). More resolution would also open up new gameplay or at least enhance current gameplay - being able to read normal-sized text for example, or see distant things better (this latter especially in games like Onward). Finally and potentially most importantly, it should increase the immersion/Presence factor (although I think increasing the FOV is probably the key for this one).
Wireless on the other hand would be nice, but I can't see how it would enable more functionality. Even in games where I move a lot, I've only very very rarely had the cable be a problem. If you have a crazy large space then I guess it'll enable use of that but then it's not like there's much software out there which is built for such spaces right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't mind resolution staying or being similar for a bit longer if it means wireless gets ironed out better/quicker, but I'd much prefer better rgb panels make their way in then, pentile is mega trash at this distance, making the display seem worse.

Alternatively, foveated rendering should also technically be a way to reduce bandwidth requirements by a lot? Since you're sending half as many pixels as normally, as long as the protocol does something with that information there's your bandwidth savings and ability to stay wireless.