Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Solution to the controversy: add a "Celiac" trait for species which makes it so that they can only eat "Gluten-Free" sapients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Also, question about restricting FTL: I'm playing a hyperlanes only game (and probably will just keep doing that forever), but I didn't really want jump drives to never happen. I'm at a point in the game where usually other empires have it, but they don't... Only I do, and only because an event gave me progress towards it. Does restricting FTL prevent the AI from researching jump drives?

Also I noticed that if a fallen empire wakes up in response to a crisis, they never seem to get out of crisis mode, talking about banding together to face a threat even after I blew all the invaders up.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Taear posted:

No, I live in Manchester. Most of my friends are even hipsters, I've never heard of it as a diet.

Wandering around Manchester and going "Why does that cake stall say GF-free? What does that even mean?" is how I found out about the latest silly fad diet.

That's also probably the first time I didn't buy a cake from a stall for being too expensive.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The new fad diet is really good for people with actual celiac disease tho, so I'm glad.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
I am pro people with celiac disease getting good cakes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ExMudder/status/837842247429173252

lol

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Thanks you guys for not letting me down. You managed to turn a throw away comment that was less than 140 character into like two pages of arguing about who can and can't eat gluten.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

And free range on top of that. :v:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Back Hack posted:

And free range on top of that. :v:

:captainpop:

Stellaris: To Eat Well

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Theswarms posted:

Wandering around Manchester and going "Why does that cake stall say GF-free? What does that even mean?" is how I found out about the latest silly fad diet.

That's also probably the first time I didn't buy a cake from a stall for being too expensive.

I think you're jumping a bit there. It's gluten free because a lot of people are allergic to gluten!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Taear posted:

I think you're jumping a bit there. It's gluten free because a lot small number of people are allergic to gluten!

It has a low incidence but the number of retards who want lovely expensive baked goods instead of fluffy delicious cheap ones is shockingly high.

And they are extremely easy to troll as demonstrated by wiz.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I hope utopic living standars in Stellaris will mean non-GMO gluten-free pumpkin decaffeinated raw lattes.

And then add a tomb world anomaly where species starved to death while obsessing about diets.

Edit: I knew I forgot something.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 4, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

But what about lactose intolerance?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
So I had some Titanic Life on a planet rebel. I didn't have any defense armies there, so they completed their occupation, but now I can't seem to bombard the planet (even on light) to destroy the fortifications. Given how drat strong the titanic life armies, in conjunction with all of the makeshift defenders (of my own pops, presumably), my own invasion has become unbelievably tedious. I'm having to stack 30 armies just to have the feintest shot at beating them. This is pretty bullshitty :(

e: Update, it took 45 assault armies, all with Psy attachments, christ

Allyn fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 4, 2017

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

My species plan to heavily modify themselves so that evil empires will think they are unsafe to eat :master:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
In all seriousness I love how Stellaris has basically become an interstellar dining simulator.

And the main course is always everyone else.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

new achievement: to serve mankind

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Kitchner posted:

Thanks you guys for not letting me down. You managed to turn a throw away comment that was less than 140 character into like two pages of arguing about who can and can't eat gluten.

this is why Twitter is Good and Cool.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Man, Utopia just can't come out soon enough. I was playing last night as a Xenophobe and it felt great invading a bunch of lovely backwater primitive worlds and tossing the survivors into the mines/shipping them across the stars to my home world's farms; things will only get better once I turn my evil tree species into literal ubermensch (uberbaums?) this April.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

i'm excited to have somebody else buy this game, much like the royal taste-tester ensuring the food isn't posioned

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

AriadneThread posted:

i'm excited to have somebody else buy this game, much like the royal taste-tester ensuring the food isn't posioned

I have a rare neurological condition that compels me to buy Paradox games and expansions sight unseen :(

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I have a rare neurological condition that compels me to buy Paradox games and expansions sight unseen :(

i actually meant to post that in a different thread, but you know what, it still kind of works here

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AriadneThread posted:

i actually meant to post that in a different thread, but you know what, it still kind of works here
Curious what game you meant to post that for now.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

Curious what game you meant to post that for now.

uh, me: andromeda if you really want to know

more on topic to stellaris, unity seems to be shaping up to be a really drastic reshaping of the game, isn't it? i kind of wonder how it'll feel to play after the free update but without the expansion

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Allyn posted:

So I had some Titanic Life on a planet rebel. I didn't have any defense armies there, so they completed their occupation, but now I can't seem to bombard the planet (even on light) to destroy the fortifications. Given how drat strong the titanic life armies, in conjunction with all of the makeshift defenders (of my own pops, presumably), my own invasion has become unbelievably tedious. I'm having to stack 30 armies just to have the feintest shot at beating them. This is pretty bullshitty :(

e: Update, it took 45 assault armies, all with Psy attachments, christ

In my current game I have a liberated vassal. They have a world that used to be the homeworld of the original empire and it will NOT stop rebelling. When it does it has an insane amount of armies on, more than I've ever ever seen. It's given me a new appreciation of how loving tedious land invasions are.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Man, Utopia just can't come out soon enough. I was playing last night as a Xenophobe and it felt great invading a bunch of lovely backwater primitive worlds and tossing the survivors into the mines/shipping them across the stars to my home world's farms; things will only get better once I turn my evil tree species into literal ubermensch (uberbaums?) this April.

For me, I've cooled somewhat on the expansion. First I was excited, but when robots and synths were discussed in this thread, it slowly dawned on me that that part of the expansion may be too half-baked for my taste. Which is bad because I don't care for all that other crap. It's certainly nice and gives my guys a lot of colorful enemies to destroy, but I don't want to play as Psionics or bio-monsters.

So for now I've decided to wait until we get more diverse mechanoids than our lame humanoid robots, or until a Steam sale makes the expansion cost less than 10 bucks.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah I was SUPER hyped for the expansion until Thursday, now I've significantly calmed down. I'll see what future dev diaries look like, but the fact that 2/3rds of a MAJOR feature seem lackluster and half-baked (especially when compared to the other 1/3rd) is... less than promising to say the least.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I'm still hype as gently caress because one feature getting a ton more love than two others doesn't diminish everything else that looks like it's going to own hard in this expansion.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Und zo, ze goon having ridden his high to its zenith of expectation, begins to crash, as the euphoria leaves his rotund form like ze lard being squeezed from ze lardholdingtube. Soon, ze calls of humanity being lost will begin, with the actual DLC itself forgotten. Ze cycle will zen repeat, come next DLC, in a symptom of ze harmony of natur.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Not sure lacklustre is fair. There'll be a string of event chains associated with the other two options, meaning we're only getting a limited sight of what it'll be like to play. I agree the interface for the :biotruths: option doesn't look good, though.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I was sold on building my own ring world, everything else is gravy.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I still want to know if robot pops now grow on their own. Ready to no longer feel human if otherwise.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Honestly I'm not really sure what people are finding so exciting about the Psionic Ascension. It gives your race a few extra perks, much like Synthetic or Biological, and opens up the Shroud mechanic which... seems kind of random and boring to me? Spend energy to get a random psionic tech or whatever. Are people excited about it simply because they don't know what exactly it does, which makes it seem cooler and more mysterious than it probably is?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

It's that it's got its own special mechanic at all. The Shroud is new and cool for a single playthrough, at least. It's a novel mechanic, which the other two don't have.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well, the point was that Biological and Synthetic already have their own special mechanics (gene-modding and building android pops). The Shroud is meant to be the equivalent of those, because otherwise it'd be the least interesting by far. I guess there is that element of novelty, but I don't see it holding up beyond that. In the long run, it might even have the least effect on your empire.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 4, 2017

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I think it's fine for people seeking to play thematically, rather than straight mechanically. On the other hand, with regards to balance and unique mechanics you are entirely correct that Psionic Ascension doesn't seem to do all that much compared to the other two.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

So is best peaceful expansion strategy to colonize non-habitable worlds with robots to push the borders out? Do robots count as population for how many sectors I get? Also if i tell the sectors to follow tile resources will they still build farms on robot worlds?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Aw. I think my Swarm bugged out. 50 years into the war and alot of their early aggression is bogged down in beseiging worlds that they dont send enough armies at to take. :smith:

Did some googling and was recommended (in a youtube video)to remove the #'s from Crisis_events_1.txt, specifically lines 2371 to 2391.

code:
				# Army Transports
				create_fleet = {
					name = "Prethoryn Armies"
					effect = {
						set_owner = event_target:prethoryn
						while = {
							count = 3
							create_army_transport = {
								ship_name = "Prethoryn Transport"
								graphical_culture = "swarm_01"
								army_name = "Prethoryn Invaders"
								army_type = "swarm_army"
								species = event_target:prethoryn_species
							}
						}
						set_location = {
							target = event_target:spaceport_planet
							distance = 35
							angle = random 
						}
					}
				}
But that's just causing ones and twos to go out occasionally, which for all I know was default behavior!

Its a real shame too since i wanted to watch this galaxy burn. :haw:

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Heartcatch posted:

I think it's fine for people seeking to play thematically, rather than straight mechanically. On the other hand, with regards to balance and unique mechanics you are entirely correct that Psionic Ascension doesn't seem to do all that much compared to the other two.

The cautious part of my brain reminds me that it's still way too early to pass judgment on the playability of any of the Utopia content.

The less cautious part of my brain mostly agrees with you. Synthetic and Bio Ascension seem much more like sure things where the Shroud comes across as a galactic slot machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Largely the same sentiment, I think it is quite early to gauge how mechanics will definitively work out upon release of Utopia.

Still, Clarste does raise a valid issue in that it does seem lacklustre at this particular point on straight comparison with the information that we do have available.

• Locked thread