Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Thanks, yeah, it has the same ban list as modern.

So, to cover all the bases...

Does it include the pauper ban list as well?

Does a card have to be printed at common in a modern legality set? Or is it sufficient to have been printed at common in any printing and also have been printed in modern?

All that said, oof the modern ban list alone kicks affinity too hard. I'd go Tron or Stompy, since the format is so much of a question mark I don't know what answers to pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Tron doesn't really lose anything aside from some sideboard cards like Tangle or Moment's Peace. I can't think of anything that Stompy loses.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Tron doesn't really lose anything aside from some sideboard cards like Tangle or Moment's Peace. I can't think of anything that Stompy loses.

quirion ranger

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
If I wanted to put together a handful of decks to smash into each other, what would a good spread of interesting archetypes be?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

If I wanted to put together a handful of decks to smash into each other, what would a good spread of interesting archetypes be?

Could do worse than going to MTGTop8 and looking at some league 5-0s.

How many decks did you want to throw together, and do you want to put together sideboards for them?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

PJOmega posted:

Could do worse than going to MTGTop8 and looking at some league 5-0s.

How many decks did you want to throw together, and do you want to put together sideboards for them?

Probably no more than half a dozen, just for some variety. I haven't decided about sideboards.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Some Numbers posted:

Probably no more than half a dozen, just for some variety. I haven't decided about sideboards.

Here's my battle box.

Basically a deck of each color, plus Affinity and two spicy multicolor decks. Currently I have:

White Tokens
Mono-Blue Delver
Mono-Black Control
Goblins
Stompy
Affinity
Kuldotha Jeskai
Slivers

Maybe add Teachings or some combo deck, but most people don't want to play against those. If you're only doing six, just do a deck of each color plus a Kuldotha value deck, or maybe Affinity. If you're making six decks, though, it should be cheap enough that maybe you want to make more decks....

Pucatrade was real good for turning a bunch of lovely EDH cards into a large number of lovely commons, without me needing to go through a bunch of long boxes of bulk at a bunch of different shops/venders. Pucatrade is currently dead as hell, even for a bunch of bulk, so I advise against wasting time on it. If you've got a good LGS you can probably make up some lists and pick all the cards up for like $100.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hellsau posted:

If you've got a good LGS you can probably make up some lists and pick all the cards up for like $100.

I want to throw Burn together, but Chain Lightnings, Rift Bolts and Lava Spikes are all multiple dollars at my LGS.

Which is Card Kingdom.

But yeah, that was my plan.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Wait, I just looked at that third picture. There's a Pauper Oops All Spells?! I need a list for that and Song of the Damned.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Some Numbers posted:

Wait, I just looked at that third picture. There's a Pauper Oops All Spells?! I need a list for that and Song of the Damned.

It is usually called One land spy, it sucks and you shouldn't bother.

CK runs pauper tournaments every couple of months so their pauper cards usually get bought out and then need to be restocked.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Fair warning, you basically can't beat someone who plays counterspells or graveyard removal or just gains life. But that's part of the fun!

Oops All Spells

Songs of the Damned

oh also the Oops All Spells deck is absurdly expensive.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hellsau posted:

Fair warning, you basically can't beat someone who plays counterspells or graveyard removal or just gains life. But that's part of the fun!

Oops All Spells

Songs of the Damned

oh also the Oops All Spells deck is absurdly expensive.

It's fun to hand to someone without explanation, but it's a bad, expensive joke that wears real thin.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've had pretty good luck as of late with picking up commons off of Deckbox, especially if you have random poo poo rares or poo poo foils that are of similar worth. Last week I traded a bunch of bulk rares that I hadn't touched in 10+ years for half a Pauper deck, it was nice. Just wishlist the commons you want and someone will get to you sooner or later.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Notable common downshift:
Call of the Conclave
Dinrova Horror
Spike Jester
Gift of Orzhova
Magma Jet
Scourge Devil
Thunderous Wrath(!!!!!!!)
Mortician Beetle
Grixis Slavedriver
Falkenrath Noble
Cower in Fear
Augur of Bola
Tandem Lookout

Jesus Christ Burn is going to be insane.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Falkenrath Noble, Grixis Slavedriver and Dinrova Horror seem pretty exciting.

Am I underrating T Wrath?

Edit: Scorched Rusalka also seems pretty relevant at common?

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 3, 2017

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Pitfall Trap as well.

Some Numbers posted:

Am I underrating T Wrath?

Seems a bit optimistic, but it's an answer to Gurmag Angler for red, and you can set it up with ponder or brainstorm (or magma jet!!). 5 Face damage is a lot as well.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Granted, 5 is a huge number for R, but in Burn you're never hardcasting it and you can't set it up.

It seems great for an Izzet deck though.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Granted, 5 is a huge number for R, but in Burn you're never hardcasting it and you can't set it up.

It seems great for an Izzet deck though.

You lose with Burn when you flood out or when the opponent has a hate card. I'm just going to jam 4 Magma Jets 4 Thunderous Wraths and go bananas.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Fair enough! I'm willing to believe it's pretty great.

What would you say is the ideal Burn list at this point?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

take out all the creatures

play 4 thunderous wrath 4 magma jet

e: nvm people finally stopped playing non-Keldon Marauder creatures. idk then just add all of the 1 mana 3 damage spells, fireblasts, then jets, then wraths

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

take out all the creatures

play 4 thunderous wrath 4 magma jet

e: nvm people finally stopped playing non-Keldon Marauder creatures. idk then just add all of the 1 mana 3 damage spells, fireblasts, then jets, then wraths

Legit cannot wait for an opponent to Chittering Rats my opening hand Thunderous Wrath back to the top of my deck.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

4 Curse of the Pierced Heart

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lava Spike
4 Rift Bolt
4 Chain Lightning
4 Magma Jet
4 Searing Blaze
2 Flame Rift
4 Thunderous Wrath
4 Fireblast

16 Mountain
2 Forgotten Cave

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cactrot posted:

Legit cannot wait for an opponent to Chittering Rats my opening hand Thunderous Wrath back to the top of my deck.

lol that interaction and the lack of any creatures makes the MBC match STRONGLY in Burn's favor now.

Needle Drop is probably still fine, since you can just Drop on the opponent's turn with an instant or a Curse trigger. It definitely requires patience since just running out the drop on your turn and drawing a Miracle is pretty disasterous.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Could Spike Jester, along with Jund Hackblade and Rakdos Shred-Freak work as a core to a BR aggro deck?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Needle Drop into Thunderous Wrath on their turn. Live the dream.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Rules question, since I hate miracle triggers.

I'm flicker rats playing against NuBurn. They draw Thunderous Wrath, reveal, and put the miracle trigger on the stack. Can I flicker a Chittering Rat to put the Thunderous Wrath back on top of their deck, preventing the Thunderous Wrath from being cast?

Addendum, if that's possible. Later in the turn, if they deal draw the Thunderous Wrath again would they be able to trigger Miracle? I'm assuming no because it is no longer their first card of the turn but you never know.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

PJOmega posted:

Rules question, since I hate miracle triggers.

I'm flicker rats playing against NuBurn. They draw Thunderous Wrath, reveal, and put the miracle trigger on the stack. Can I flicker a Chittering Rat to put the Thunderous Wrath back on top of their deck, preventing the Thunderous Wrath from being cast?

Addendum, if that's possible. Later in the turn, if they deal draw the Thunderous Wrath again would they be able to trigger Miracle? I'm assuming no because it is no longer their first card of the turn but you never know.

I have no idea how the first interaction works, but the second one definitely doesn't. Miracle is only the first card you draw, so they'd pass the turn and then Needle Drop you to Miracle it.

I wasn't sure how much I liked Needle Drop, but it makes Wrath more palatable, so maybe it's still worth the slot.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
The line of bolt->Needle Drop->blind flip Thunderous Wrath is so absurdly optimistic that it shouldn't be used as a selling point for the card

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
it needs to be pretty much exactly bolt too since so much of the deck is sorcery speed

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

on the other hand you could just draw it in your draw step and then pay one mana and deal five damage, at the cost of not playing many other bad cards

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

little munchkin posted:

The line of bolt->Needle Drop->blind flip Thunderous Wrath is so absurdly optimistic that it shouldn't be used as a selling point for the card

You mean my obviously magical Christmasland scenario isn't guaranteed?!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Would Augur of Bolas be a straight upgrade over Sea Gate Oracle in UB control decks, or would you have to lean a little heavier towards spells vs creatures in order to make it work?

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
I know I have appreciated finding my next land drop off an Oracle more than once. I don't think it's a straight upgrade but I think a split could be useful.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Thunderous Wrath is pretty bad without Magma Jet, for every time you flip it off the top and get to hit them for 5 there'll be another time where it clogs up your opener doing 0. So ~2.5 damage for one card, which isn't great (but might be okay? I'm not familiar enough with what you'll be replacing it with to know if that's worthwhile). With Jet, you probably see enough cards in a game to make it worthwhile as far as damage-per-card goes, though it's still really high variance.

Honestly though I think it's mostly insane in UR delver or blitz decks where you have brainstorm to make it a basically a 100% hit.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Hellsau posted:

Here's my battle box.
*Pictures of a LOT of boxes*

Hold on, I think I saw Jund there. What the hell is that list even running?

Edit: Also, with Gift of Orzhova now common, I have decided - the next deck I am building is B/W mimic, and I don't care how poo poo it is!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Would Augur of Bolas be a straight upgrade over Sea Gate Oracle in UB control decks, or would you have to lean a little heavier towards spells vs creatures in order to make it work?

Missing on Augur is horrible. It's really, really bad. However...it's yet another enabler for Brainstorm, and it's the two drop blocker that was sorely needed. That version of Red Deck Wins that basically folds to two removal spells and a blocker is going to be substantially worse when you're getting to play your Sea Gate Oracles a turn earlier. I'm going to try 4 Augur, 4 Oracle, 4 Mulldrifters and some Mancers and one or two Rats, and see if that'll work.

Also no joke that Nightsky deck is actually almost real. Nightsky Mimic is basically Heart of Kiran - it's a 4/4 flier for two mana! It was really missing another card or two that were WB, and Gift of Orzhova is the kind of card that makes a complete mockery of creature races. I'm willing to try it out, anyway. Here's the list that I built for my box:

2 Blind Hunter
2 Castigate
2 Doom Blade
4 Edge of the Divinity
4 Kingpin's Pet
2 Mourning Thrull
4 Nightsky Mimic
4 Nip Gwyllion
2 Orzhov Basilica
4 Pillory of the Sleepless
9 Plains
4 Scoured Barrens
9 Swamp
4 Tithe Drinker
4 Unmake

Sideboard:
4 Beckon Apparition
2 Castigate
2 Disenchant
2 Echoing Decay
3 Guardian of the Guildpact
2 Rune of Protection: Green

Blind Hunter and Doom Blade can probably go.

also Jund

3 Gurmag Angler
4 Liliana's Specter
2 Phyrexian Rager
4 Putrid Leech
4 Satyr Wayfinder
3 Blightning
4 Chainer's Edict
3 Firebolt
2 Flame Slash
2 Raven's Crime
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Terminate
3 Bloodfell Caves
1 Bojuka Bog
2 Forest
2 Haunted Fengraf
3 Jund Panorama
2 Jungle Hollow
3 Mountain
2 Rugged Highlands
5 Swamp

1 Ancient Grudge
1 Duress
2 Electrickery
1 Evincar's Justice
2 Golgari Brownscale
1 Gorilla Shaman
2 Magma Spray
1 Pyroblast
2 Relic of Progenitus
2 Serene Heart

e: wait, gently caress. Augur + Thunderous Wrath + Brainstorm means I probably need to just make UR Control with 12 creatures (Augur, Oracle, Mulldrifter), 22 lands and 26 spells, and just abuse the hell out of Brainstorm and Wrath.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 4, 2017

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

e: wait, gently caress. Augur + Thunderous Wrath + Brainstorm means I probably need to just make UR Control with 12 creatures (Augur, Oracle, Mulldrifter), 22 lands and 26 spells, and just abuse the hell out of Brainstorm and Wrath.

I had a similar idea. Here's a first draft for what I want to play at a local pauper league:

// 60 Maindeck
// 14 Creature
4 Mulldrifter
4 Sea Gate Oracle
4 Augur of Bolas
2 Archaeomancer

// 21 Instant
4 Magma Jet
3 Thunderous Wrath
4 Brainstorm
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Ghostly Flicker
4 Counterspell

// 21 Land
4 Evolving Wilds
4 Terramorphic Expanse
5 Mountain
4 Island
4 Swiftwater Cliffs

// 4 Sorcery
4 Ponder

// 16 Sideboard
// 5 Creature
SB: 4 Gorilla Shaman
SB: 1 Sea Gate Oracle

// 11 Instant
SB: 4 Dispel
SB: 2 Negate
SB: 2 Remove Soul
SB: 3 Pyroblast

I think you need archaeomancer + flicker or something similar because otherwise the deck doesn't really have a wincon

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ash Barrens over one of the Evolving Wilds?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Ash Barrens over one of the Evolving Wilds?

Maybe. I like wilds better because you can keep wilds + cantrip with no other lands but can't keep barrens + cantrip. Plus I was planning on building it in paper and don't want to buy barrens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
These spicy downshifts are spicy. I'm excited.