Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

This is the most adorable little NatMouse ever. Without the caption telling me how I'm supposed to feel about this entirely friendly little creature this could have easily passed as a pro-independence Our Time Will Come Again sort of cartoon. BoB: Best cartoonist ever.

e: also maybe timg Slorrance's giant-panel cartoons maybe? but maybe that's just my scottish cringe speaking

Angepain fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

FronzelNeekburm posted:

The closest I found:

Wow, VERY close. Thanks for looking.

The one I recall had more emphasis on how difficult it was going to be for the USSR to pull out.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Two Bulls does comedy :holymoley:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

There are more ways to be disordered than to be ordered. So, the amount of disorder in the universe tends to increase as a function of time. You can do work on something to reduce local disorder (ie the energy of the sun allowing life to happen), but the total disorder of the universe will still increase regardless.

Personally if forced to explain it I'd say that the amount of heat that can do work in the universe can never increase.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

Feinne posted:

Personally if forced to explain it I'd say that the amount of heat that can do work in the universe can never increase.

I spent the last 3 years trying to forget partial integrals, heat engines, and the various measures of free energy.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 4, 2017

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

I spent the last 3 years trying to forget partial integrals, heat engines, and the various measures of free energy.

Oh man I had actually managed to briefly put free energies out of my mind. It feels good.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

He's supposed to be creating a rabbit.

Nice edit.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Feinne posted:

but it can decrease? where does the heat go tho...

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/02/arts/bob-mankoff-to-step-down-as-cartoon-editor-of-the-new-yorker.html

quote:

BOB MANKOFF: Part of what is wonderful about cartoons is, they're stupid, and they connect us with the stupidity of our own consciousness in life.

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

If I understand it correctly, the energy itself doesn't go anywhere. Conservation of energy/matter and all that good stuff. It just goes from a configuration where it can do work to one where it can't.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

wish i could get into that configuration :D

but still be paid obviously

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

quote:

George W. Bush rarely criticized his successor to the presidency, Obama. Unfortunately, Barack is not about to follow that precedent. He is driving very hard to the hoop to destroy Trump. So much so that it almost resembles sedition. Like the Clintons before him, Obama got wealthy in office. He’s also aligned with the billionaire, George Soros, who is eager to help fund Barack’s mischief. Utilizing big money and connections, Obama will try to guide America back on the road toward globalism. Unlike Obama, Trump does not want to be president of the world. He wants to help America first and Obama can’t stand that.

We’ve had enough of Obama. He did his best to destroy America during his two terms. Now he’s directing his energy toward destroying President Trump. Similar to the main character in the film, ‘What About Bob?’ Obama simply won’t go away. Like the Clintons, he can’t give up his addiction to power.
So get ready to endure Obama and Hillary ad nauseam. They refuse to go away. They both deserve to have the America’s door slammed in their smug and entitled faces.
—Ben Garrison

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

oddium posted:

wish i could get into that configuration :D

but still be paid obviously

have you considered a future as a stock character in right wing cartoons

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Oh gently caress off Garrison

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
A reminder that this guy gets $3,600 a month on Patreon

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

It spreads throughout the universe, slightly raising the base temperature.

Basically, under the second law, heat can never concentrate itself without outside help.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Emasculator posted:

If I understand it correctly, the energy itself doesn't go anywhere. Conservation of energy/matter and all that good stuff. It just goes from a configuration where it can do work to one where it can't.

Yeah the energy that is 'lost' as entropy still exists, just in a different form than it was in.

e: The second law is really cool for the same reason it's really confusing to some people, because the actual statement is really simple but there are tons of important consequences that come up.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 4, 2017

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

TheBigAristotle posted:

Channeling the spirit Demon of Jack Chick I see

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if the little guy ever made it to the top

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

If you have a red hot nickel ball and a tub of ice, the heat from the ball will go into the ice and turn it into a tub of lukewarm water. Total energy is the same, but the nickel ball isn't red hot anymore so it can't melt anything else. You can't cool a drink with the ice that is now water.

I never took physics so I might be explaining it all wrong or missing something important, I just like Maxwell's demon over the messy desk analogy.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

TheBigAristotle posted:

I wonder if the little guy ever made it to the top

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Just pure desperation for a boogeyman.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Yeah, Bush never critisized Obama, but President Cheney couldn't shut the gently caress up

ed: also I like the rinky-dink gold plaque that labels the White House.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Abyssal Squid posted:

If you have a red hot nickel ball and a tub of ice, the heat from the ball will go into the ice and turn it into a tub of lukewarm water. Total energy is the same, but the nickel ball isn't red hot anymore so it can't melt anything else. You can't cool a drink with the ice that is now water.

I never took physics so I might be explaining it all wrong or missing something important, I just like Maxwell's demon over the messy desk analogy.

No that's a decent explanation of heat turning into a form that no longer does work.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Just pure desperation for a boogeyman.

A clear sign that the Hilary Clinton boogeyman is finally starting to run out of gas.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

The resemblance is uncanny

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Is this supposed to make Trump look like anything but a total nutjob?
I mean the finger-pointing for a desperate scapegoat is so transparent but I guess we're supposed to say "oh gosh he's right"?

E:
You know what, I notice that whenever "fake news" and "OBAMA!!!!" are brought up nobody mentions specifics. It's just "they're undermining the presidency!" but nobody cares to say what or how.
Did Obama encourage Trump to pursue an unconstitutional executive order? Did the specter of Hillary Clinton force Trump to discuss top secret material in public? Was it fake news or the Soros-funded cabals of paid protestors who made him botch every foreign relation attempt he's made? It doesn't matter, just focus any negativity on these scapegoats. Any bad feelings you have are their fault, regardless of rhyme or reason.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 4, 2017

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Vib Rib posted:

Is this supposed to make Trump look like anything but a total nutjob?
I mean the finger-pointing for a desperate scapegoat is so transparent but I guess we're supposed to say "oh gosh he's right"?

it's white house it even says so on the door, you'd think obama would get it

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

DOCTOR TRUMP! I'M (WIND)SAILING! AHOY! I'M A SAILOR. I SAIL!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Look at Obama's hands. How skinny and small they are compared to the strong, manly hands of Donald Trump.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
I can't wait to see what Zoloft Ben does with the WIRETAPPED BY OBUMMER news.

"Hah! I've been doing 'virtual reality' before you doodad nerds were even born!"

The latest in Mike Lester's "for Dummies" anthology.

I like the barely visible Soros sign. We want to appease the fans, but we don't wanna push that one too hard. Also, 50 cent tacos is a bad thing.

Sessions!! What have you been up to now!?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

TheBigAristotle posted:

Ah you say there's no absolute good in the universe? THen how do you explain the police?

KillerQueen posted:

Yeah, Bush never critisized Obama, but President Cheney couldn't shut the gently caress up

ed: also I like the rinky-dink gold plaque that labels the White House.

Bush has, in fact, started criticizing Trump

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Sandpuppy posted:

I like the barely visible Soros sign. We want to appease the fans, but we don't wanna push that one too hard. Also, 50 cent tacos is a bad thing.
The problem is that those drat Democrats just didn't bother understanding the other side. They filled their heads up with stereotypes and didn't even attempt empathy or compassion, to see what their neighbors cared about. Looked at all this passion and anger and frustration and assumed "ah, they must be idiots".
Good thing us Republicans are above that kind of closed minded, snooty presumptuousness.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

BAHAHAHAHAHA Garrison just figured out that he's been backing a loser for over a year.

Seriously: check out how little detail is in here. He's been saving this one for a while, hoping to fill it up with little liberal goblins. But at least for today he can't find any to draw, because it's his man who's been too stupid to see the goblins he's surrounded himself with.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I need an ironicat with a litter of ironikittens feeding from her.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

That Obama would make a pretty great avatar.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That Obama would make a pretty great avatar.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
So was Garrison mad about getting called a nazi because it spoiled the surprise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Ben posted:

They both deserve to have the America’s door slammed in their smug and entitled faces.

Please preserve this alongside Bach, Shakespeare, and Plato.

I would like the aliens to understand how broad the bell curve is.

• Locked thread